Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
To the guy trying to play the game on a Mac on PC or whatever, I play FFXIV through wine in Linux and it's stable. I followed a guide on reddit though, which gave specific settings to make it run well. I don't know if it actually makes a difference, but you can try googling the thread (I'm not sure if it's acceptable to link to reddit here so I won't do it myself). I'm not sure if using similar settings will help you, but I thought I'd put the idea out there. The only difference between Windows and Linux for me is that in Linux, it takes a lot more CPU than in Windows to play the game.

In other news, I noticed they added range checking to alliances in this patch (or did I just not notice until now?). I think they put range checking for parties in around 3.1 or 3.2. But anyway, what I wanted to talk about is the range that they went with to make people "in range" and "out of range." That is, I would like for the range checking to show someone as "in range" when they're within 30 yalms of me, which is healing range. The alliance/party frames show someone "in range" when they're within targeting range. Can this be changed at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I'm in australia, just resubbed, I'm level 50 glad/pld and apparently I'm on Tonberry, where do I transfer to for fun times

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

tithin posted:

I'm in australia, just resubbed, I'm level 50 glad/pld and apparently I'm on Tonberry, where do I transfer to for fun times

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward - Just transfer to Excalibur already!

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

tithin posted:

well first you should do a quick ping test to the primal data centre for the servers like excal because this game is a lot of ground aoe stuff that wont feel good if you have like five hundred ping

Also hey guys
i found out i maybe have 300+ ping

i remember back in 2.x level three was blowing up as it is wont to do and my californian friends were having horrible ping/connection issues to my primal datacentre server

back in that day there were some many "gaming vpn" services being advertised that could improve your ping by getting an avg ping to the vpn and then they would find a good route to whatever server you needed.

did those turn out to be smoke and mirrors or all die out when level 3 got some of its poo poo together? or what is a good one to use/try? i'm willing to pay a bit extra because ive had some nasty ping. and im also working w my isp at the same time and they might be able to work on some of my cabling or something.

bleuraindrops
Jun 22, 2011

Seems I got really lucky with my Weeping City run. I'd say half the alliance was new including my whole FC party and we cleared it with only 1 wipe to Ozma. The second go at Ozma was smooth since by then we all recognized and were able to execute the mechanics. The first two bosses didn't feel as long as I was expecting either but maybe so much was going on I just didn't notice it. That said we almost wiped to all the bosses but was able to recover in the first and second boss (no one explained the second boss so few people were around to kill the fire orbs ^^) and last boss everything started falling apart at 10% but we were able to crawl to the finish line.

Also does the extra chest usually drop a lot of poo poo? We got a coffin kid, minions, and three TT cards. I won zero things.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
In my run of Mhach I did my duty as a DRG and confimed that yes, you can in fact fall off of Ozma's platform :v:

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

bleuraindrops posted:

Seems I got really lucky with my Weeping City run. I'd say half the alliance was new including my whole FC party and we cleared it with only 1 wipe to Ozma. The second go at Ozma was smooth since by then we all recognized and were able to execute the mechanics. The first two bosses didn't feel as long as I was expecting either but maybe so much was going on I just didn't notice it. That said we almost wiped to all the bosses but was able to recover in the first and second boss (no one explained the second boss so few people were around to kill the fire orbs ^^) and last boss everything started falling apart at 10% but we were able to crawl to the finish line.

Also does the extra chest usually drop a lot of poo poo? We got a coffin kid, minions, and three TT cards. I won zero things.

I'm pretty certain that extra chest gets rolled on by every member of the alliance, not just your own party but I could be wrong. I hope I'm wrong.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Ignimbrite posted:

In my run of Mhach I did my duty as a DRG and confimed that yes, you can in fact fall off of Ozma's platform :v:

I learned the hard way that positioning as a Dragoon during a jump really matters. I jumped across a gap and plummeted to my death as soon as my strike landed.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

CrashScreen posted:

I learned the hard way that positioning as a Dragoon during a jump really matters. I jumped across a gap and plummeted to my death as soon as my strike landed.

I was able to use the normal jump versus Ozma just fine, but yeah, the ones that leave you at your landing point are probably a bad idea.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Hunter Noventa posted:

I was able to use the normal jump versus Ozma just fine, but yeah, the ones that leave you at your landing point are probably a bad idea.

It's not Ozma itelf that's a danger there, but the meteor adds. If they're over a gap, or decide to change directions mid jump so that they're over a gap by the time it ends, you'll fall to your death.

Cowboybot
Sep 27, 2007
On a steel horse I ride
Just started yet another Final Fantasy MMO and my wife and I are looking to join up with the Goon Guild on Exodus.

Is there any of the normal register on 3 different sites and submit an fart report to get an invite?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Cowboybot posted:

Just started yet another Final Fantasy MMO and my wife and I are looking to join up with the Goon Guild on Exodus.

Is there any of the normal register on 3 different sites and submit an fart report to get an invite?

All of this information most definitely isn't in the OP and you totally chose the right server.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
It seems Selene/Eos can fly from platform to platform just fine in the last boss of Sohm Al. If I go there as a dragoon, will I be able to use Spineshatter Jump to another platform, or will I fall off like the unfortunate souls in Ozma?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ruta posted:

It seems Selene/Eos can fly from platform to platform just fine in the last boss of Sohm Al. If I go there as a dragoon, will I be able to use Spineshatter Jump to another platform, or will I fall off like the unfortunate souls in Ozma?

Just try it, thats the dragoon way.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
To me, it was a breath of fresh air when A Realm Reborn was released and the combat emphasized reactive gameplay over proactive gameplay (dodging, and keeping close eye on the enemy as opposed to spamming large rotations over and over again). Sure, there certainly still were rotations with A Realm Reborn, but they were nowhere near as cumbersome than what Heavensward brought to the table. You still need to dodge and closely watch the enemy in Heavensward, only rotations have a much greater emphasis and have gotten much more complex.

With so many good games being released; many want a game they put down and easily pick up later. I by no means feel that difficulty should be nerfed, but I don't think the investment time to get back into the game should be so high. Take a game such as Dark Souls. Difficult, (arguably) but the combat is simply light attack, heavy attack, roll, parry, etc. Highly addicting, fun and difficult gameplay that the player can simply pick up without having to research how to play again. With Heavensward, if I take a break, or if I want to switch jobs, I need to spend a good amount of time in front of a dummy just to memorize my rotation. To be honest, the thought of having to get familiar with the rotation again often prevents me from logging in. You can still have a difficult game without forcing the player to memorize attack patterns.

Those who have mastered the rotations and never take breaks from the game probably enjoy it. I'm sure many of you (likely most) will disagree with me. However, as someone who frequently likes to try out other great AAA titles; it can be frustrating to return and feel like I don't know how to play anymore. I don't think the amount of abilities should be reduced; however I feel like the game should be designed that you fire off an ability as a "reaction" as opposed to one huge "proactive" spam of abilities to buffer your attacks over and over again like a mindless drone. Memorization is not hard. It's a growing pain I feel many have to repeat over and over again. My two cents. I'll go hide now.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

i'm ready to blow hundreds of dollars on cosmetic items

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

ruta posted:

If there's a drop in between then you're dead. You're fine on the main platform since the jump places you on the furthest possible spot, but anywhere else is a death sentence.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Am I doing this right?

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

WhiteHowler posted:

Am I doing this right?

No, no, no! You've neglected your crafting jobs

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

WhiteHowler posted:

Am I doing this right?

You haven't unlocked FSH you are doing it wrong.

ruta posted:

The platforms in Sohr Khai don't let you run off so if you tried to use any jumps to move around you would probably just hit the invisible wall.

ActionZero fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jun 11, 2016

brokenknee
Aug 3, 2014

WhiteHowler posted:

Am I doing this right?

not identical exp progress bars? SHAMFRU DISPRAY

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Erg posted:

No, no, no! You've neglected your crafting jobs
I'm doing those next!

Really just waiting for my fellow newbie friends to catch up so we can start dungeon-ing together.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Technogeek posted:

Those who have mastered the rotations and never take breaks from the game probably enjoy it. I'm sure many of you (likely most) will disagree with me. However, as someone who frequently likes to try out other great AAA titles; it can be frustrating to return and feel like I don't know how to play anymore. I don't think the amount of abilities should be reduced; however I feel like the game should be designed that you fire off an ability as a "reaction" as opposed to one huge "proactive" spam of abilities to buffer your attacks over and over again like a mindless drone. Memorization is not hard. It's a growing pain I feel many have to repeat over and over again. My two cents. I'll go hide now.

BRD/MCH might be closer to what you're looking for then. They do have rotations (Wildfire bursts and refreshing buffs/debuffs) but they are fairly reactive jobs.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

WhiteHowler posted:

Am I doing this right?

Are you having fun? If so then yes

Speaking of not having fun, I logged in to check out the new moogle beast tribes, and after a little googling to figure out where to pick them up, I'm suddenly sad I never did any sidequests in the Churning Mists while leveling. That's ok, I've got a backlog of podcasts to listen to anyway.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

BRD/MCH might be closer to what you're looking for then. They do have rotations (Wildfire bursts and refreshing buffs/debuffs) but they are fairly reactive jobs.

That was an OF post.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I can sympathize with that post a bit, I'm not the biggest fan of the melee rotations but hey there's ranged dps and healers to play instead.

Egoist
Aug 19, 2010

Love myself today
Let you go today
Lipstick Apathy

ruta posted:

Do you mean Sohr Khai or whatever? I've used the AOE jump which name escapes me atm to get to adds and switch platforms and it seems to work! I assume spine shatter works too. Hopefully that helps you!

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I haven't tried monk and ninja, but I love Dragoon's 60 rotation. It's fun, and slightly punishing if you gently caress up a bit (i.e. heavy thrust or disembowel drops). Which is how it should be.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

seiferguy posted:

I haven't tried monk and ninja, but I love Dragoon's 60 rotation. It's fun, and slightly punishing if you gently caress up a bit (i.e. heavy thrust or disembowel drops). Which is how it should be.

This is why I can't get into Dragoon, I hate having to push Heavy Thrust every rotation when I get synched down.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

WhiteHowler posted:

I'm doing those next!

Really just waiting for my fellow newbie friends to catch up so we can start dungeon-ing together.

Just so you know dungeons always scale higher level players down to around dungeon levels so you can play with your lower level buddies as well without having to worry overleveling.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

zolthorg posted:

back in that day there were some many "gaming vpn" services being advertised that could improve your ping by getting an avg ping to the vpn and then they would find a good route to whatever server you needed.

did those turn out to be smoke and mirrors or all die out when level 3 got some of its poo poo together? or what is a good one to use/try? i'm willing to pay a bit extra because ive had some nasty ping. and im also working w my isp at the same time and they might be able to work on some of my cabling or something.

I'm using WTFast and that has dropped my connection from a unstable 400+ms down to a stable 200-220ms.

They also have a 14 day free trial you can try out.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Yeah, vpns for gaming seem pointless if you assume the world is a perfectly spherical utopia with uniform density that exists in a vacuum, but in the real world it can actually help you since some isps and even backbones have really dumb peering agreements that cause all kinds of problems

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

jyrque posted:

Just so you know dungeons always scale higher level players down to around dungeon levels so you can play with your lower level buddies as well without having to worry overleveling.
Yeah, but I don't want to do any group content without them. We're all completely new to the game, and the idea is to go into everything blind and figure it out -- no walkthroughs or recruiting randoms to help us.

I'm sure at some point we'll get really stuck and cheat. It'll be fun!

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Why hasn't someone done a full Fantasia Josuke cosplay and set everything on the hotbar to Desynth yet?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

FillInTheBlank posted:

I'm using WTFast and that has dropped my connection from a unstable 400+ms down to a stable 200-220ms.

They also have a 14 day free trial you can try out.

I've heard good things about Mudfish as well, and it's very cheap with a pay-by-traffic plan.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Vermain posted:

I've heard good things about Mudfish as well, and it's very cheap with a pay-by-traffic plan.
thanks for this, I am for the first time below 100ms ping in this game

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

WhiteHowler posted:

Am I doing this right?

:yeah:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abE09-tqhoM

e: oh god i forgot what a dumpster fire the 1.0 skill system was

lancer for everyone

ee: i did the same thing playing with my friends because i had more time when i got the game and having all kinds of cool alt classes and being able to help your friends with questions about job quests etc is always cool. for crafting its highly recommended to start by getting everything to level 15

zolthorg fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jun 12, 2016

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

And on the pedestal, these words appear:
My name is Ozma, Destroyer of Pubs;
Look on my Wipes, ye Awful, and despair!
Nothing beside remains.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Fister Roboto posted:

And on the pedestal, these words appear:
My name is Ozma, Destroyer of Pubs;
Look on my Wipes, ye Awful, and despair!
Nothing beside remains.

They really could not have picked a better boss as inspiration for the role it's filling in the player base right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bleuraindrops
Jun 22, 2011

Eopia posted:

I'm pretty certain that extra chest gets rolled on by every member of the alliance, not just your own party but I could be wrong. I hope I'm wrong.

It is rolled on by everyone. Your 90s roll is not good enough, someone will have 99!

• Locked thread