Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Brannock posted:

Is there a real-world difference in impact between intentional structural prejudice and unintentional structural prejudice? For example, I'm sure that the businesses who discriminated against women who were likely to get pregnant (they didn't want to lose a worker for a given amount of time, or to invest in a worker who would eventually leave to take care of her family) weren't actively prejudiced against women, it "just made economic sense" to select for employees who were unlikely to need time off. We, of course, saw this for the problem it was and took measures to alleviate it. Is it any different when the current education system ends up advantaging girls to a large extent over boys?

Arguably, the right solution to that was to say, "you can't act with prejudice toward employees who you think may need to take time off at some point" which is a category that's much broader than women, but would also include women.

quote:

As for the benefit of privilege, I don't think children have had much opportunity to take advantage of it yet and that glorying in their failure, like THC is doing, is in poor taste.

Incorrect. I don't think we should be happy about their failure in any event, to be clear, but children are some of the most affected by privilege (namely, that of their parents).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

PT6A posted:

Arguably, the right solution to that was to say, "you can't act with prejudice toward employees who you think may need to take time off at some point" which is a category that's much broader than women, but would also include women.

Having equivalent paternity and maternity leave policies goes a long way there.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

THC posted:

White men deserve to feel less valued by society, and to actually be less valued. It's not enough to just make them feel bad

Aggravating ethnic tensions within a society tends to produce really horrific results.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Subjunctive posted:

Having equivalent paternity and maternity leave policies goes a long way there.

Agreed 100%*! That is not, in and of itself, enough to deal with the broader problem, though. We also need protection for employees who might be expected to take more time off than average for other reasons -- chronic illness (either mental or physical) comes to mind. Again, it's not even based on who will actually take more time off, but simply who might, and I think it's a cornerstone of workers' rights to restrict employers from making hiring decisions based on such factors wherever practicable.

* It's also worth noting that this would help gay parents, and would probably help to erode the idea that women should be the primary caretakers of children, which would further advance gender equality and help to demolish some elements of toxic masculinity (including the big issue that MRAs like to bitch about : the fact that women sometimes get an advantage in custody battles).

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Helsing posted:

Aggravating ethnic tensions within a society tends to produce really horrific results.

The problem is that we're reaching a point where some people feel "continuing to advance racial equality" is tantamount to aggravating ethnic tensions. White men do deserve to feel less valued in society, because they are currently valued more than minorities or women, which they don't deserve -- no one deserves to feel intrinsically more valuable than someone else. I'm a white man and I can deal with that fact.

EDIT: You can see this bigtime with berniebros. Even self-identified progressive white men seem to have a problem with the idea that women's ideas and minorities' ideas are as valuable and valid as their own.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

PT6A posted:

The problem is that we're reaching a point where some people feel "continuing to advance racial equality" is tantamount to aggravating ethnic tensions. White men do deserve to feel less valued in society, because they are currently valued more than minorities or women, which they don't deserve -- no one deserves to feel intrinsically more valuable than someone else. I'm a white man and I can deal with that fact.

EDIT: You can see this bigtime with berniebros. Even self-identified progressive white men seem to have a problem with the idea that women's ideas and minorities' ideas are as valuable and valid as their own.

Man, this is why I love this forums just reading poo poo like this gives me a big laugh and smile to think there are people who really, really, genuinely believe this and in fact there are white males themselves too that think this

*plays youtube video white male SCREAMING you're a loving white male*

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
A feel-good story about murder and the state's access to encrypted communication:

Vice posted:

Rouleau even admitted to the judge, during one ex parte hearing, that his own phone would be vulnerable to the type of intrusion the RCMP used on the targets of the investigation.

"I'm a dead chicken. That's the reality of it, that's what we don't want the general public to know," Rouleau said.

Both the defense and the Crown came to an agreement in the court documents — the RCMP used the global key. As defense lawyer Michael Lacy phrased it: "You have to have the proprietary or intellectual property of RIM/BlackBerry, wherever it comes from, in order to make sense of an encrypted PIN to PIN communication."

The court ultimately ordered the Crown to disclose to the defense virtually everything about the global key and how they obtained it, save for the key itself. The Crown appealed, and the next phase of the legal saga was scheduled for March 30, 2016.

On Wednesday, March 30, the seven men accused of the murder walked into a courtroom in Laval, just north of Montreal. Six pleaded guilty to conspiracy to commit murder, and the seventh confessed to being an accessory after the fact.

At almost exactly the same time, the lawyers fighting on their behalf to reveal the details of this global key walked past the giant stone columns of the Quebec Court of Appeal in Montreal's Old Port and informed a three-judge panel that, in light of the pleas, the appeal would be discontinued. That means that Judge Stober's ruling, that the Crown must disclose how BlackBerry cooperated to help the RCMP crack the suspects' communications and how the RCMP obtained the global key, would never be fulfilled.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

PT6A posted:

Agreed 100%*! That is not, in and of itself, enough to deal with the broader problem, though. We also need protection for employees who might be expected to take more time off than average for other reasons -- chronic illness (either mental or physical) comes to mind. Again, it's not even based on who will actually take more time off, but simply who might, and I think it's a cornerstone of workers' rights to restrict employers from making hiring decisions based on such factors wherever practicable.

I agree completely. I've spent more than a cumulative year on disability for depression, and while I talk about it freely I know many people who are afraid of being passed over as an absence risk. It keeps them from getting help in many ways.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Helsing posted:

Ah yeah, ethnic tensions, such a big problem in Canada

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

THC posted:

Ah yeah, ethnic tensions, such a big problem in Canada

For someone that lives in the lower mainland, this is a willfully blind opinion.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Do it ironically posted:

Man, this is why I love this forums just reading poo poo like this gives me a big laugh and smile to think there are people who really, really, genuinely believe this and in fact there are white males themselves too that think this

*plays youtube video white male SCREAMING you're a loving white male*

Believe what? That white men have it better off than others? Like, that's a pretty established fact.

I'm not sure what someone being angry on youtube has to do with it.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

The Dark One posted:

A feel-good story about murder and the state's access to encrypted communication:

It's news, but it's not. RIM has publicly admitted to handing over their keys to India, Pakistan (IIRC), and Saudi Arabia, in exchange for being allowed to continue operating in those countries. There was absolutely no chance they hadn't done the same in Canada and the US ages ago.

Why they decided to allow those plea deals rather than have the RCMP admit they've had the keys for years is unclear since it's obvious they have them.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

infernal machines posted:

Why they decided to allow those plea deals rather than have the RCMP admit they've had the keys for years is unclear since it's obvious they have them.

Maybe they don't want the courts to produce case law restricting their use of said global key from case to case at their own discretion.

The technique of wiretapping one phone line is similar to tapping another but the courts have previously ruled that doesn't mean they can do it to everyone without a warrant.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Hmmm.......

quote:

“People have to know that when you sign a deal with Canada, a change in governments won’t immediately scrap the jobs and benefits coming from it,” the prime minister said in an interview in his office in Parliament’s Centre Block. “Because we’re not a banana republic.”

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2016/06/10/trudeau-defends-saudi-deal-were-not-a-banana-republic-wells.html

tbf he's right. We're a petrostate, not a banana republic.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Dr. Stab posted:

Believe what? That white men have it better off than others? Like, that's a pretty established fact.

I'm not sure what someone being angry on youtube has to do with it.

I think part of it is an inability to entertain two contradictory positions at the same time: that, as a person who's benefitted from privilege, you can have worked your rear end off for everything you have, and at the same time have benefitted from white/male privilege.

Likewise, everyone in Canada has benefitted from "Canadian privilege." It's not to say that everyone in Canada has had an easy ride their whole life, but compared to most people, just having the legal right to live and work in Canada is an amazing boon. Nor does that mean that Canadians are lazy or undeserving of what they've earned, it's just a recognition that we've benefitted from things that a lot of people would give their left nut to have.

I hate seeing this sort of thing framed as "white guilt." I don't feel guilty, and I love being a straight white guy with a decent bit of money, and no significant disabilities to speak of. It's great, it's basically easy mode for life. At the same time, I recognize what I got, and I'm not going to throw a fit if some of those advantages are diminished to make sure other folks have a fair shot.

vyelkin posted:

Hmmm.......

He has a decent point; the blame for the Saudi deal lies with the people who signed it, not the current government. I'd argue that, in this case, human rights should trump other considerations, but in general the argument is sound.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Helsing posted:

And yet in spite of Canada's history the country has yet to trigger a widespread genocide (Natives excluded from that generalization obviously) and the state has yet to collapse although I suppose it was leaning in that direction at least once.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

PT6A posted:

He has a decent point; the blame for the Saudi deal lies with the people who signed it, not the current government. I'd argue that, in this case, human rights should trump other considerations, but in general the argument is sound.

That seems facile though, what about say, the f35 deal he might break? Or the other stuff they rolled back

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

PT6A posted:

given that this is similar to the argument Dion made, I'm surprised you'd think this

and in general it's a lousy argument - because context will always matter with respect to such deals

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

ocrumsprug posted:

For someone that lives in the lower mainland, this is a willfully blind opinion.
Canada's gonna have a civil race war just because white dudes don't get to feel like they're the literal best anymore

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

THC posted:

Canada's gonna have a civil race war just because white dudes don't get to feel like they're the literal best anymore

Hey it happened to America it happened to us (although up here it'd be "why do those natives want more poo poo the government already gives them everything anyway")

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
I don't think it'll be that.

The housing bubble will pop, the FIRE industry will collapse and boomers are going to lose much of their ~home equity~ and CMHC is sitting on $30 billion of "insured" holdings.

I'm legit wondering who they're going to try and blame.

edit: Who the business side of Canada is going to blame. Consumer side is just going to be nothing but ":downs: I signed because Scotiabank says I'm richer than I think!"

less than three fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Jun 11, 2016

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

less than three posted:

The housing bubble will pop, the FIRE industry will collapse and boomers are going to lose much of their ~home equity~ and CMHC is sitting on $30 billion of "insured" holdings.

edit: Who the business side of Canada is going to blame. Consumer side is just going to be nothing but ":downs: I signed because Scotiabank says I'm richer than I think!"

Honestly I don't think it's fair to aim blame for stuff like this at consumers, we are constantly induced to buy and take advantage of offers and be part of the system so that when we get dire warnings of overvalued homes but the BoC still keeps interest dates low and provincial governments do nothing to curtail foreign capital using our houses as investment venues all you can do is ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. As long as we keep our banks from over leveraging and doing the whole subprime derivative thing, maybe the bubble could pop and our banking infrastructure wouldn't collapse.

The best thing of course would be to take biblical inspiration here and mandate a debt forgiveness period to help disentangle all the consumer debt without bankrupting half the country (because gently caress banks they can take some losses) but we are way too close to the US in proximity and policy to ever offer amnesty like that to anyone

Ron Paul Atreides fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jun 11, 2016

BallsFalls
Oct 18, 2013

less than three posted:

The current status quo is to blame the state and implement eternal austerity measures.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

vyelkin posted:

Hmmm.......

How did you not post the best part that totally definitely actually happened.

quote:

But Canadian exports are valuable precisely because Canada is admired around the world, Trudeau said, and blowing that advantage by overlooking human-rights concerns would be a false economy. “If a middle-class family in Shanghai or Guangzhou is looking for a good-quality product, we want them to look at a maple leaf and say, ‘OK, it’s good quality,’ ” he said.

“Now, what goes into the brand of a country? Well, obviously it’s not just environmental sustainability and good health care for our workers. It’s also human rights and respect for individuals. So it’s part of Canada’s identity that we stand up for human rights.”

Trudeau said that once when he travelled with his father, former prime minister Pierre Trudeau, in China after the elder Trudeau’s retirement, he asked whether his father had discussed the bloody repression of the 1989 Tiananmen Square protests with the Chinese leadership.

“And the answer was, ‘Yes, I did, and they instantly started talking about indigenous Canadians and how we weren’t doing very well on human rights either,’ ” Trudeau recalled.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
What's unbelievable about that? That sounds like a very typical response.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Dr. Stab posted:

you see we have no reason to criticize the Chinese until we ourselves have become the beacon of a society free from discrimination and oppression.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

sitchensis posted:

you see we have no reason to criticize the Chinese until we ourselves have become the beacon of a society free from discrimination and oppression.

Well it seems like a true and honest criticsm from the Chinese. It's not as though the terrible treatment of indigenous people here is somehow over or in the past.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
You see son sometimes to make an omelette you have to break a few eggs. Natives are the eggs.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Dr. Stab posted:

I don't know. The Chinese do like ribbing western countries about their own poor track record, regardless of how awful the PRC has been and continues to be.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

sitchensis posted:

Right, exactly. It's typical to say "How dare you criticize us when you do bad things" in response to being called out on human rights abuses.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
"Hey Chinese Leaders, do you think that Tiananmen square thing might have been a bit much?"

"Whoa, slow down there Mr. Not a Level 5 Vegan"

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

PT6A posted:

You can't casually sexually harass women any more, and don't even get me started about people react when you say the n-word in a public place :v:

So, in a sense, white men are losing the rights they once had, but they are rights that no one should have in the first place, and if you're so fussed about losing them, you're probably a garbage human being to begin with.

You people genuinely believe this stuff is interesting and worthwhile enough to type words about

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

The Dark One posted:

if the police can't learn it by following people in dark cars with the lights off, they shouldn't be able to use it in a prosecution. I am a INternet Libertarian, you see, and care deeply about encryption and privacy. Furthermore,

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

terrorist ambulance posted:

You people genuinely believe this stuff is interesting and worthwhile enough to type words about

You seem awfully upset about it. Do you need a safe space

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

THC posted:

Reminder that Quebec Anglo loved the Confederacy so much they housed Jefferson Davis after the War and gave him standing ovations. There's a loving memorial plate in Downtown Montreal.

I loving hate that plate.

pesty13480
Nov 13, 2002

Ask me about peasant etymology!

MonsieurChoc posted:

Reminder that Quebec Anglo loved the Confederacy so much they housed Jefferson Davis after the War and gave him standing ovations. There's a loving memorial plate in Downtown Montreal.

I loving hate that plate.

I had forgotten all about that horrifying thing. Thanks.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
If I share my hate with enough people, they might take down the goddamn thing.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Dreylad posted:

And yet in spite of Canada's history the country has yet to trigger a widespread genocide (Natives excluded from that generalization obviously) and the state has yet to collapse although I suppose it was leaning in that direction at least once.

State collapse and genocide are pretty extreme examples. I'd be more concerned about the growth of racist organisations and gangs. Just look at what has happened in Greece or some of the other European countries that have essentially been told they are going to have to accept permanent and severer drops in their living standards. I'd also be concerned that Canada's vaunted progressive attitudes toward gender and religion are not immutable. Some of our parties have even flirted with this kind of stuff in Quebec and we should be glad that it didn't go over very well.

All of this would take time and it would take some really terrible external events. I'm not saying this is our future. I'm just warning it's really stupid to cheerleader the growing anger and frustration of a powerful and well armed ethnic group with a history of controlling the state. We've seen that scenario play out before and it's rarely pretty for anyone involved.

Ikantski posted:

How did you not post the best part that totally definitely actually happened.

:psyduck: Even when he's referring to relations with Asia it still comes down to "the middle class", Jesus Christ. :psyduck:

I guess it would have been awkward to talk about Chinese factory workers or peasants.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

PT6A posted:

Wrong. Dion signed the export permits without which the deal could not have proceeded. He took full responsibility and gave an embarrassing, merciless and gutless defense:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/dion-takes-responsibility-for-pushing-through-saudi-arms-deal/article29672290/

Oh no, think of the wretched human waste working for defense contractors! Imagine the horror of potentially losing international tuition from Saudi prince(ss)lings! gently caress Dion, I have no respect for him anymore.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jun 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Dr. Stab posted:

Right, exactly. It's typical to say "How dare you criticize us when you do bad things" in response to being called out on human rights abuses.

And you are lynching Negroes.