Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I read The Long Way To A Small Angry Planet. It's incredibly naive and dull as hell. There's no driving force behind the story. Characters are mashed up into little vignettes so they can be super positive to each other. It's aggravating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Xenix posted:

I don't think the gender stuff was anything about how society chooses language. It was about Breq not having access to people's information via wifi or whatever and an excuse for people to make two or three jokes at her expense. People make too much of it.

Actually I thought it was, there's specific mentions when she's in foreign planets and stuff that she struggles to say the correct gender, especially not having magic wifi knowledge, but was relieved being back home and not having to do that on radchaai or whatever.

But you are right that people probably make too much of it. I thought it was supposed to be one random social quirk and nothing more.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

holocaust bloopers posted:

I read The Long Way To A Small Angry Planet. It's incredibly naive and dull as hell. There's no driving force behind the story. Characters are mashed up into little vignettes so they can be super positive to each other. It's aggravating.

I'm with you 200% here.

Did you read the whole le Flambeur series btw or just Quantum Thief? Thoughts? I'm eyeing Fifth Season but I feel kinda obliged to finally finish my quarter-read Dune paperback...

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Koesj posted:

I'm with you 200% here.

Did you read the whole le Flambeur series btw or just Quantum Thief? Thoughts? I'm eyeing Fifth Season but I feel kinda obliged to finally finish my quarter-read Dune paperback...

I tried Fifth Season and couldn't get into it. FYI, its very much fantasy and not sci-fi

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Xaris posted:

Actually I thought it was, there's specific mentions when she's in foreign planets and stuff that she struggles to say the correct gender, especially not having magic wifi knowledge, but was relieved being back home and not having to do that on radchaai or whatever.

But you are right that people probably make too much of it. I thought it was supposed to be one random social quirk and nothing more.

Yeah, it's just a part of the world. I think people reading it might have exaggerated its significance and then you get into the usual spiral where if certain people like a thing (inclusive, gender-interesting science fiction), then certain other people feel compelled to hate a thing.

It also allowed for interesting introspection, personally. At first I was frustrated that I couldn't gender anyone, despite my other language being totally gender neutral, since I was reading it in English. But after a point I realized it doesn't matter - it doesn't really matter to the characters or the story, so it shouldn't matter to me either.

The Left Hand of Darkness for example made a much bigger deal of gender.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

blue squares posted:

After 30 pages of the first Expanse book I have groaned several times. I particularly hated the description of plastic buttons and switches as being "designed for high Gs." As if that could possibly matter.

And the authors like infodumping paragraphs constantly instead of delivering information through the scene.

Another 30 pages in and it's getting better. I guess with Sci-fi you just have to accept that some things are going to be overly described into order to please the tech fans

Hey, if you're strapped into an acceleration chair you're not going to be reaching up to a screen in front of you to push buttons, they'll be built into the chair right by your fingers. These details are really important to the narrative! My space-immersion!

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!
Again on the Academy series.

If any of you are planning to read those books, make yourself a favor and DO NOT read them in chronological order. Specifically, don't read "Starhawk" first. I'd risk to say do not read it at all.

Theoreticallty it is a prequel to Engines of God, but it's closer to what Hollywood calls a "reboot". Some things are explicitly against established "facts" in the previous novels. Examples: in Engines it is said that Hutch had never confronted a dead in space, in the whole series it is clear that there has not been any "first contact", there are no AIs in Engines, there was just a ship named "Venture" previous to Chindi, and it was lost at the beginning of the interstellar age, Quraqua was the first serious attempt to terraform a world... ans some other minor things..

The novel, on a second read, is objectively bad. I wonder if McDevitt wrote it because he was forced by contract; otherwise I can't understand why does he blow up a part of the narrative and canon established in the other books.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Velius posted:

Hey, if you're strapped into an acceleration chair you're not going to be reaching up to a screen in front of you to push buttons, they'll be built into the chair right by your fingers. These details are really important to the narrative! My space-immersion!

That would actually make sense and be semi-interesting. No, it's "the switches, made of metal and plastic designed to withstand hard g." As if inferior plastic would... break?

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Count me in on the camp who says that the gender stuff in Ancillary is just a side detail that got blown out of proportion and doesn't matter as much as some people say it does. To me, the most interesting aspect of Ancillary Justice was the fragmentation of Anaander Mianaai's (sp?) consciousness as a result of spreading themselves over many light years. It really got me to think about human minds in relation to hard drives and wireless relays, as well as a huge hurdle to the future of the internet in an interstellar age. Today the internet allows instant communication between anyone on the planet who has it, but how can communication possibly be instant over a distance of light years? Naturally, instead of expanding on this idea, Ancillary Sword was mostly about Breq giving a stern talking-to to the meanie-poos who were in charge of her new home when she arrived.

Also, I just finished Binti and I feel conflicted about the poo poo that happened to Binti and her reaction to it. Am I to admire her optimism, or think that she's in denial about some of her circumstances? Is her friendship with Okwa worth forgetting that Okwa took part in the massacre of her old friends, for instance?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Koesj posted:

I'm with you 200% here.

Just Quantum Thief. I was mostly lost for the entire book save for the larger plot elements. If I do go on with the book 2, it'll be in the future. I've got a tremendous backlog to catch up on.

The Fifth Season is great. Wonderful book.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

blue squares posted:

I tried Fifth Season and couldn't get into it. FYI, its very much fantasy and not sci-fi

psionic powers are absolutely in the traditional wheelhouse of sci-fi.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, the difference seems to be more in the way it's approached. You can have fantasy with spaceships if you just handwave them as magic and don't try to explain anything.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

Xaris posted:

I don't think so. I haven't read the book since it came out, but I recall that once she was back with the Radchaai she had tea with a bunch of people and stuck her foot in her mouth again. It was all about her having a thousand years of sensors telling her that sort of information and only 20 (?) years of not having it.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

RoboCicero posted:

Thanks to everyone who recommended "Too Like The Lightning". It's a really enjoyable, if loving weird, and the author's history and love of the Renaissance really shines through. It's a book that is deeply interested in questions of religion which was also cool -- it's also one of those books that delve into gender stuff, so if anyone was put off by Ancillary Mercy you should probably steer well clear of this book because I can tell you right now you'll hate it to death. I liked it though, even if I disagreed with some of the propositions in the book. A unique read with fascinating stakes -- I can't wait for the sequel! In the process of writing this post I looked it up and there's going to be four books in the series? I was really hoping it was a duology instead of a trilogy, but looks like I erred in the wrong direction.

For those who have read it, do you think the Seven maps on to the seven deadly sins / virtues cleanly? I don't believe that for someone interested in the culture of the era wouldn't spring at a chance to model the seven factions after them but I feel like I don't have quite enough to figure it out.

hadn't heard of this but the premise sounds gently caress interesting, will check it out after a bit of non-fiction reading.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
of course, there's no ebook available and the only digital edition is an audio book. gently caress ordering the hardcover.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
What region are you in? I bought an ebook of too like the lightning straight off amazon, no issues, right to the Kindle.

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by
I think the fact that Radchaai gender and sexual norms were so different from ours, especially in a way that at first glance appears progressive is important because it allows us to view the Radchaai characters with some degree of sympathy instead of hoping that their society completely falls apart. They enforce their social values at least as strictly as the Victorians did, so if they were forcing everyone to be straight and patriarchal they'd come across as cartoonishly evil to our sensibilities.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

andrew smash posted:

What region are you in? I bought an ebook of too like the lightning straight off amazon, no issues, right to the Kindle.

Australia. We get shafted on ebook availability frequently. I feel no guilt about finding illicit copies when that happens and the ebook is available elsewhere.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Neurosis posted:

Australia. We get shafted on ebook availability frequently. I feel no guilt about finding illicit copies when that happens and the ebook is available elsewhere.

But I was able to buy every Discworld book published up to the point of my visit with the original covers, so at least there's that.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Neurosis posted:

Well if they don't want your loving money....

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Groke posted:

Well if they don't want your loving money....

This is such poo poo. I can't even order the book myself an gift it to someone in another reason, what the gently caress. What is it that publisher's think they're accomplishing with this?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

bonds0097 posted:

This is such poo poo. I can't even order the book myself an gift it to someone in another reason, what the gently caress. What is it that publisher's think they're accomplishing with this?
Well see, Australia is way out in the sticks and it's a long way for those ones and zeros to go.

Much more efficient to load up a massive oil burning boat with dead trees and ship books in that way.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

bonds0097 posted:

This is such poo poo. I can't even order the book myself an gift it to someone in another reason, what the gently caress. What is it that publishers think they're accomplishing with this?

bonds0097 posted:

publishers think

I found the problem.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
There's probably some perfectly simple explanation that everyone within publishing finds super stupid and frustrating but they're bound by legal poo poo to support.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
How does KJ Parker's books compare to something like Joe Abercrombie?

I want fantasy that's bleak and cruel but entertaining.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_of_Nothing

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

MrSlam posted:

Unfortunately, he wants a fantasy novel with zero magic, no potions, no fantasy races, no dragons or unrealistic animals, no gods, no dream sequences or prophecies. I think he wants historical fiction but it in a made up place?
Dhalgren.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

failed PhD candidate writes novel about how a super smart philosopher takes over the world with the power of reason

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

You can cut a Jordan novel by two-thirds and miss nothing.
You can lop off the first-half of a Sanderson novel and miss nothing.
You can remove both halves of a Rothfuss book and then read something else.

What good SFF authors, male and female and preferably alive, usually write books no longer than the 300 page mark?

EDIT: I read the Prince of Nothing back in the day and found it quite musing in its bleakness, although the only scene I remember is where the sexually-frustrated barbarian digs holes in the ground and fucks them. I may devote time to the second series but I hope Bakker calls it quits if they publish Book 6 Part 2, given how limited the audience compared to ASOIAF.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jun 13, 2016

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

You can cut a Jordan novel by two-thirds and miss nothing.
You can lop off the first-half of a Sanderson novel and miss nothing.
You can remove both halves of a Rothfuss book and then read something else.

What good SFF authors, male and female and preferably alive, usually write books no longer than the 300 page mark?

George Saunders

VVVV Yeah Planetfall is good.

blue squares fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jun 13, 2016

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Emma Newman's Planetfall comes in at a touch over 300 pages.

The Southern Reach books are pretty short, the whole trilogy put together is something like 600 pages and in another world was only one novel in the first place.

I'm actually interested in this too because I've come to appreciate the certain tightness and brevity in older SF novels compared to the doorstoppers today. Zelazny and Bester for example.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Fails in the third criterion.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

coyo7e posted:

Dhalgren.

Speaking of Delany, would the Neveryon books fit the bill?

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

How does KJ Parker's books compare to something like Joe Abercrombie?

I haven't read Abercrombie, but Parker definitely fits all three of those criteria. All of his stuff has a really dry essentially British wit to it, even as the characters are doing terrible things or having terrible things happen to them, usually that they themselves were responsible for in some way. The short stories/novellas are a good starting point, or if you want something novel length and standalone, The Folding Knife.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Steven Brust's Vlad Taltos books hover around that mark, +/- 30 pages or so.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Ornamented Death posted:

Steven Brust's Vlad Taltos books hover around that mark, +/- 30 pages or so.

The Vlad Taltos books that aren't Athyra or Dragon anyway. They stink.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I finished the first book in Leviathan Wakes and it was actually really good. No idea where the series is going to go next but I'm on board for at least the next book.

Nippashish
Nov 2, 2005

Let me see you dance!

blue squares posted:

I finished the first book in Leviathan Wakes and it was actually really good. No idea where the series is going to go next but I'm on board for at least the next book.

The second book is even better than the first. But don't let that fool you, the third book is really boring, and the rest of them are kind of meh.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Nah, the fifth one owns again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Nippashish posted:

The second book is even better than the first. But don't let that fool you, the third book is really boring, and the rest of them are kind of meh.

This last one was probably the best in the series. But yeah, the third is OK and closes out an arc, but the 4th is pretty... something.

And you can probably take or leave most of the novellas, but read The Churn for sure.