Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Allen the male Delibird (Lv 30)

-Thief
-Ice Beam
-Protect
-Present

Item: None (for thief)
DVs: Yes
Shiny: Nah

It shall be both the Santa and the anti-Santa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Dr. Fetus posted:

Isn't that impossible? Shinies can't have max DVs, since shininess is directly attached to a specific set of DVs.

Just to make things easier, it'll be as max as it can be for DVs, which is 8/15/10/10/10/10. But if I can hack a Pokemon so that it's shiny and has 15 in everything, then I will, cause why not.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Throw in a Level 10 Dragonair named Lenna.
Mint Berry

Thunderwave
Thunderbolt
Ice Beam
Rest

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Crosspeice posted:

Just to make things easier, it'll be as max as it can be for DVs, which is 8/15/10/10/10/10. But if I can hack a Pokemon so that it's shiny and has 15 in everything, then I will, cause why not.

Is 10 points of Speed going to matter? If so, shininess isn't super important.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

In future gens with a power creep, yes. But in this slow, stall filled generation where it'll be quite surprising if a Pokemon is taken out in one shot by another of the same level, then no. It honestly doesn't make much of a difference, so it's fine by me.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Crosspeice posted:

Ooh yeah, I've tweaked the rules to clarify items are replenished between battles.

Also it seems everyone is in the Gen 6 metagame mindset with all these level 50s :v: I'll mark down the Sunkern as a level 10 for variety and I'll accept a couple more level 50s. But after that, there's still plenty for 10, 30, 70 and 100. Also, I'll change the Sunkern's item to Brightpowder, since Focus Sash doesn't exist until Gen 4.

And yeah, unless you state otherwise, everyone's Pokemon will have max DVs.

Woops I meant Focus Band, which very much did exist in Gen 2! It is like the Focus Sash but worse. Bright powder is OK too, but I was trying to choose an item that hadn't been used yet.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Pester the Female Smeargle

Level 30 (but throw her elsewhere if needed)

Spore
Mirror Coat
Recover
Encore

Holding: Miracle Berry
DVs: Yes
Shiny: Yes (Gotta go green)

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
Mac the male Electabuzz
Level 10
Scope Lens

Fire Punch
Ice Punch
ThunderPunch
Counter

DVs: Max them.
OT: Louis

You could've had Thunderbolt but screw that you are going to punch your way to the belt victory.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
McNugget the male Omastar
Level 100

Surf
Ice Beam
Rest
Double Team (or Sleep Talk if you don't want to Double Team)

DVs: Min. Attack, max the rest.
Holding: Leftovers
Shiny: No

Just like it's namesake, hard and crusty on the outside... and hard and crusty on the inside. Goes best with anti grass/electric measures and ranch dressing.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Given that the game is loathe to show it off, lets get some Houndoom on

Doomguy the male Houndoom (Lv 30)

-Flamethrower (Goldenrod Tutor)
-Solar Beam (TM22)
-Sunny Day (TM11)
-Double Team (TM32)

Item: Bright Powder
DVs: Max em

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jun 11, 2016

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

As someone who's endgame in Pokemon is generally to do these facilities in some respect, I can't wait to see how you do. :allears:

Well. If I'm going to suggest something, I guess I'll go for something for Lvl 10.

Quetzalcoatl the Dratini Male

DV: Go for max, but particularly Speed and Sp. A.
Hold Item: Miracle Berry (or Gold if Item Clause)
Moves: Rain Dance - Surf - Thunder - Ice Beam. All of these are either TMs or a Crystal Move Tutor move (Ice Beam)

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Baby fighters!
Tyrone the Tyrogue
Picard the Pichu
Carol the Cleffa

All lv 10
I uhh don't really know what to give them.

E: wait I got it
Tyrone Item: Kings Rock
- Hi-Jump Kick
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Strength

Picard Item: Light Ball
- Zap Cannon
- Sweet Kiss
- Iron Tail
- Rollout

Carol Item: Quick Claw
- Sing
- Dream Eater
- Nightmare
- Fire Blast

Yayyyy :v:

Golden Goat fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jun 11, 2016

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
I'm interested to see how this goes. I'm one of the Pokemon players who sticks their head into the Battle Tower/Subway/Mansion/Island, gets slugged in the face, and never comes back. I find it too frustrating for my tastes.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Geomancing posted:

I'm interested to see how this goes. I'm one of the Pokemon players who sticks their head into the Battle Tower/Subway/Mansion/Island, gets slugged in the face, and never comes back. I find it too frustrating for my tastes.

Same here. It's too frustrating to try to build a team that will work AND has my favorite pokemon on it.

And it's even worse when you are doing well, but then you get your poo poo kicked in and have to restart from the beginning, and suddenly it's so boring again.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Solumin posted:

Same here. It's too frustrating to try to build a team that will work AND has my favorite pokemon on it.

And it's even worse when you are doing well, but then you get your poo poo kicked in and have to restart from the beginning, and suddenly it's so boring again.

Then there's the Bullshittery that is the AI cheating.
Like in the Maison. Swapping Garchomp in on Porygon-Z, he uses Ice Beam, despite the previous attack being Thunderbolt.
Also, using Fire Fang if you cheat in a Wondertomb.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Kitty the Suicune (Lv 100)
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Roar (because God help you if you get put up against a Double Teamer)
- Protect

Item: King's Rock
DVs: Max

You gotta use the guy on the box

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Geomancing posted:

Likewise. If it wasn't for Powersave existing, I'd never be able to get the TMs they gate behind here because it's just not interesting enough to do a bunch of battles with the same three Pokemon over and over.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

SonicRulez posted:

- Roar (because God help you if you get put up against a Double Teamer)

Roar has to pass an accuracy check prior to Gen6 :pseudo:

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Roosevelt the Ursaring

Shiny: Nope
Level: 100
DVs: Gotta max 'em all.

Quick Claw

Crunch
Earthquake
Metal Claw
Seismic Toss

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Alabaster White posted:

you only need one roar hit to get rid of a double-teamer, while you need multiple for regular attacks to kill them (usually)

that being said i think that haze is better for that, assuming it works properly

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

you only need one roar hit to get rid of a double-teamer, while you need multiple for regular attacks to kill them (usually)

that being said i think that haze is better for that, assuming it works properly

According to bulbapedia, it surprisingly works.
It also gets rid of things like light screen & leech seed AND status effects in gen 2

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Likewise. If it wasn't for Powersave existing, I'd never be able to get the TMs they gate behind here because it's just not interesting enough to do a bunch of battles with the same three Pokemon over and over.

In Gen 6 you can get pokemiles from storing pokemon in the Bank! Skip the whole thing entirely.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Alabaster White posted:

Then there is no hope, God has clearly abandoned Pokemon Crystal. That's scary, man. I'm glad the main game AI has no use for stuff like that. Usually at least.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Side Notes 14: Competitive DVs

Since we're actually getting into the competitive mindset, it's time to really go into how a Gen 2 Pokemon ticks when you want to make it literally the very best. The main thing to talk about here is DVs, which determine a lot of things. Firstly, a Shiny Pokemon cannot have max DVs, not even close. The best it can have is 8/15/10/10/10/10. It's actually not that big a deal, since you can have full Stat Exp no problem, which takes the edge off. But in such a slow and stall filled metagame, losing a few points off Speed, or even the Defenses isn't actually that big a deal. Nothing really hits hard since the power creep of later generations hasn't set in yet. So if you want to make a Pokemon shiny, just go for it, it's really not a big deal.

The next big thing that DVs determine is Gender. It all relates to the Attack DV and, indeed, also determines Shiny Pokemon. Let's have a look:

So that's how it works. If you want a competitive Pokemon, it has to be male. But with some gender ratios, the Pokemon will still work fine even if it's female. Due to a Pokemon being Shiny if its Attack DV is 2 or higher, it means that a Pokemon with a ratio of 87.5% male, 12.5% female can never be female AND shiny at the same time. It doesn't matter for genderless Pokemon, or Pokemon that are 100% female, they can be shiny no problem. Even for ratios that are 50:50, a Pokemon will be male 9/16 times, compared to 7/16 times for female. It's weirdly skewed heavily in the male's favour. But that's society for you. Again, for a Pokemon that doesn't give two shits about its Attack stat, it can be female and Shiny or whatnot, who cares. However, those are pretty hard to come by due to the amount of Normal moves and the various physical attackers in the metagame.

Finally, there's also Hidden Power, which can be tweaked around in all kinds of ways, to get the right power of 70 and the right typing that compliments the Pokemon's movepool well. While it's not as prevalent as it will be in later generations, it can still be a good option for the many, MANY Pokemon that are just missing one move they can use effectively. The fact that it can also be special or physical depending on the type actually adds more variety, but unless it's hitting a 4x weakness, it's best to use super effective STAB, or another coverage move that best works for its standard counters. Again, there's a lot of variety in what DVs you can have that fit the 70 power and typing you want, but to list them would take too much time.

Oh yeah, you can also tweak DVs to have a competitive Unown with the right form and Hidden Power, but ahahahahahahahahaha.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Golden Goat posted:

Baby fighters!
Tyrone the Tyrogue
Picard the Pichu
Carol the Cleffa

I've put in the Tyrogue since you can only have one. Also the Light Ball does nothing for either Pichu or Raichu, only Pikachu :v:

I've got quite a few Pokemon put into the games, so I'll be testing them out shortly. We've got plenty of Pokemon for level 50, but level 10, 30 and 100 could use a couple more. Level 70 could also use quite a few more, I'm hoping for about 4/5 Pokemon for each level so I can change things around slightly if it doesn't work out, otherwise I'm liking what I'm seeing so far, a good variety.

Lavender menace
Nov 7, 2012

by Lowtax
Monarch the butterfree
Level 10
Gender Female
Item Goldberry
Shiny If possible
DVs to get HP Fire
Moveset Toxic, Swagger, Protect, Hidden Power (fire)

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Crosspeice posted:

I've got quite a few Pokemon put into the games, so I'll be testing them out shortly. We've got plenty of Pokemon for level 50, but level 10, 30 and 100 could use a couple more. Level 70 could also use quite a few more, I'm hoping for about 4/5 Pokemon for each level so I can change things around slightly if it doesn't work out, otherwise I'm liking what I'm seeing so far, a good variety.

Does that mean we can make more than one?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Sure, what the hell, you can all make one more. 18 different submissions from different people is fantastic for me.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Gully the Level 10 Gligar, not shiny, male

Iron Tail
Earthquake
Sludge Bomb
Swagger

Holding a Scope Lens.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

BlueFlame the Houndoom (Lv 30)
Crunch
Fire Blast
Sunny Day
Solar Beam

Item: Leftovers
Shiny: Yes

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Let's get silly.

Grasshole the level 30/70 (whichever you need more of) female Jumpluff

Encore
Headbutt
Leech Seed
Sleep Powder

Item: Gold Berry(30)/Leftovers(70)
DVs: Max

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jun 11, 2016

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Wright the Lv 100 genderless Ho-Oh

- Sacred Fire
- Sunny Day
- Solar Beam
- Return
Max DV
Held Item: Scope Lens
OT: hope
Shiny: no

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Some Numbers posted:

BlueFlame the Houndoom (Lv 30)
Crunch
Fire Blast
Sunny Day
Solar Beam

Shiny: Yes

I've changed it to level 70 since we already have a level 30 Houndoom.

I think we're good for level 10s and 30s now, so all that's left is a few level 70s and one more level 100 to fill out. This should be a lot of fun!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Go Nagai the male Lv70 Poliwrath
-Item: Black Belt
-Shiny: No

-Mind Reader
-Dynamic Punch
-Belly Drum
-Waterfall (yes, I know, it isn't Gen IV yet)

Punch that poo poo, son. Accurately.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Ted Kord the male lv 70 Heracross

Item: Focus Band
Shiny: no, even though it's amazing and purple, doesn't fit with name

Moves:
Megahorn
Endure
Reversal
Earthquake

I don't know if this will work, but it looks fun!

alternately, a dumb gimmick set!

Trollbama the male lv 70 Shuckle

Shiny: NO

Moves:
Rest
Toxic
Wrap
Encore

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Level 100 Lugia named Poseidon
Aeroblast
Surf
Recover
Psychic
DVs:Max
Held Item: Leftovers

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Alright, one more level 70 and that should be fine. I'll be doing two runthroughs of each challenge to use every Pokemon submitted, but whether they make it or not is up to how nice the game is to me. Hint: probably not at all.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Godzilla the level 70 Tyranitar (Male)
- Crunch
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Roar
DVs: Yes.
Held Item: Gold Berry / Leftovers (depending on item clause)

One of my other Gen 2 favorites!

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Okay, thank you to everyone for submitting. I'll definitely be doing this again, probably multiple times. For now, expect a regular update in a few hours or so. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Update 22: Over the Ocean

Surfing

Ah, I feel better now. Probably one of my favourite tracks in the series.

"into the water."

: That's basic.

Oh boy, get used to fighting Swimmers for the next while and a half.

"away from here."

Thanks for reminding me.

: How about a quick battle first?

Holy crap, there's female swimmers in this game. But unfortunately, the feminazis that localized this game edited the sprite so they're no longer winking. The bastards! I'm going to complain about it on my livejournal.

"you. Yeah!"

Yeah, I'll admit, I can't swim for poo poo. I can at least swim and keep myself afloat, but I hate being underwater. This is why the Hoenn games trigger me.

Can anyone here that slowly rising dramatic music?

Yeah, no.

"carry me along."

Ehhhhhhhh, but HMs like connect us with our Pokemon or some bullshit.

Aurora Beam (Ōrora Bīmu) is a Ice move with 65BP, 20PP and 100% accuracy that has a 10% chance of lowering the opponent's Attack by one stage. For whatever reason, it has the animation Hyper Beam had last gen, more or less.

Oh yeah, we never talked about the evolved starters. Eh, we'll be seeing a lot of new Pokemon in this update, we'll go over them later.

"It's healthy."

That's all four trainers on this route. Not too bad. But just before we head to the next route...

HP: 80 | ATK: 70 | DEF: 65 | SP.ATK: 80 | SP.DEF: 120 | SPD: 100 | TOTAL: 515
#163: Tentacruel

Acid (Yōkaieki: Corrosive Liquid) is a Poison move with 40BP, 30PP and 100% accuracy that has a 10% chance of lowering Defense by one stage. Thankfully, some Pokemon no longer have this as their only STAB option. Leech Life on the other hand...

At least this time I won't need to use a Master Ball to catch it.

And with that, we're on Route 41. Strap in, folks, cause there's TEN trainers on this route, so we'll have some fun trying to find them around the islands.

"your POKéMON."

HP: 35 | ATK: 65 | DEF: 35 | SP.ATK: 65 | SP.DEF: 35 | SPD: 65 | TOTAL: 300
#172: Remoraid

Constrict (Karamitsuku: Coil Around) is a Normal move with 10BP, 35PP and 100% accuracy, that has a 10% chance of lowering the opponent's Speed by one stage. It's a real bad move. Don't use this move.

: But it's no easy return trip to OLIVINE either. What should I do?

:rip:

"water."

: You'll get your wind back, so you can keep going strong.

Thankfully Kakarott levels up early, so I don't need to use it for the rest of the route. Unless the rest of the team also levels up. In which case I better not run out of Cut PP.

I was having 'Nam flashbacks there. Rapid Spin (Kōsoku Supin) is a Normal move with 20BP, 40PP and 100% accuracy that removes hazards from the field, as well as partially trapping moves. It affects Bind, Clamp, Fire Spin, Leech Seed, Spikes, Whirlpool and Wrap.

"ISLANDS."

A m-m-m-m-m-m-m-m-m-monster? Well yes, a Pocket Monster.

The Whirl Islands consist of four islands that dominate Route 41. Doesn't seem like we can enter.

Yeah, maybe later.

"WHIRL ISLANDS?"

I shall, when I can delve deep into its delicious interior.

: It's pitch-black inside!

"a daze!"

Shame I'm not doing this update at night time...

HP: 65 | ATK: 45 | DEF: 55 | SP.ATK: 45 | SP.DEF: 70 | SPD: 45 | TOTAL: 325
#176: Seel

Hrrrrrrmmmmm. Rest (Nemuru: Sleep) is a Psychic status move with 10PP that causes the user to fall asleep and restore all of their health. They'll stay asleep for three turns and wake up on the third. If Rest is pulled by Sleep Talk, the user's health will be restored and the number of sleep turns will be reset. Rest will now remove the lowering of Speed and Attack from Burn and Paralysis, respectively, unlike Gen 1.

: I won't pollute the water.

We're right in the center, so let's head up.

"by whirlpools?"

: There just has to be a secret!

While I'm not using a Fire type, using a Water type is a little iffy. But I'm fiiiiiiine. I'm fiiiiiine.

"from the islands."

: It was scattering feathers from its silver wings.

Uh, sure? Jeremiah's a little small for me, though.

Oh thank god, now I can use Pokemon that can actually use their STAB. Well, one of them. Peck counts, right?

"riding a LAPRAS?"

I don't remember doing that. Are you sure it wasn't a Pikachu?

Alright, we're halfway done with the route. No, the remaining trainers aren't particularly interesting.

Oh, cool. I think I've been beating them up.

HP: 80 | ATK: 92 | DEF: 65 | SP.ATK: 65 | SP.DEF: 80 | SPD: 68 | TOTAL: 450
#079: Seaking

: I wonder what it could be?

Alright, there's something super secret beneath the islands, geez!

"and limber."

: Sure, I'll take you on!

Same. But that's because I'm like 90.

"this?"

Swim, swim, hungry.

"surface."

Oh yeah, the Good Rod is pretty simply divided into Ocean and Pond encounter tables. So we won't see much variety until we go pond fishing.

HP: 30 | ATK: 40 | DEF: 70 | SP.ATK: 70 | SP.DEF: 25 | SPD: 60 | TOTAL: 295
#186: Horsea

Hoo that's a lot of fire. Dragon Rage (Ryū no Ikari) is a Dragon move that always does 40 damage, has 10PP and 100% accuracy. Thankfully, it's not longer the only Dragon move in the game, so there's STAB for that type!

"at the same time."

: It's so beautiful, it's scary.

Alright, nearly done. While I try and find the last trainer in this route, let's go over the new wild Pokemon we can catch. Uh, just the one.

HP: 60 | ATK: 40 | DEF: 70 | SP.ATK: 80 | SP.DEF: 140 | SPD: 70 | TOTAL: 465
#197: Mantine

Mantine has a really low catch rate, with 30, so it's a lot of fun to keep it in a ball.

Man, I'm so good at catching things these days.

Here you are, goddamn. Curse me for not going right at those crossroads earlier.

HP: 95 | ATK: 125 | DEF: 79 | SP.ATK: 60 | SP.DEF: 100 | SPD: 81 | TOTAL: 540
#077: Gyarados

"that island."

Phew, that could've been nasty since I don't have any Electric attacks.

Cianwood City

And we've finally made it. Let's not go over the ocean again, my Pokemon are pretty worn out from all the battling.

Healing time. Hm? Isn't that the Gym guy, uhhh, Jim Gui?

"macho bullies."

: If I stick around, they might come after me. Here's some advice: the GYM LEADER uses the fighting-type. So you should confound him with psychic POKéMON. Wipe out his POKéMON before they can use their physical strength. And those boulders in the middle of the GYM? If you don't move them correctly, you won't reach the GYM LEADER. If you get stuck, go outside.

Wow, he had a lot to tell us compared to Ecruteak. Anyway, now it's finally time to teach Churchill Strength, because why not. Before we head to the Gym, let's check out what's in this new city.

Cianwood City: A Port Surrounded by Rough Seas!
(From cyan and wood, which can float on water, hence how we get here.)
Tanba City: A sea town surrounded by rough seas.
(From tanban, the Japanese name of Chalcanthite, a rich blue/green coloured mineral and ha, wave.)

: A guy about your age with piercing eyes and long hair came in. He scared me into giving him my prized POKéMON! I still have one left, but what if he comes back? You look strong. Could you look after my POKéMON for a while?

Hmm, if this guy is who I think it is, then I'll have no problem keeping your Pokemon protected.

So who's our new friend?

Yep, it's Shuckie. It's the reason why I didn't catch that Shuckle back in Dark Cave, no reason to when I'm gonna get a free one later. We haven't yet gone over Wrap (Makitsuku: Wrap Around), a Normal move with 15BP, 20PP and 85% accuracy and a varying chance it will last from 2-5 turns, with a 37.5% chance for 2-3 turns and a 12.% chance for 4-5 turns. The target loses 1/16th of its health each turn, but it can attack, making this move not as useful as it was last gen. Thank gently caress.

We'll carry it around, since Shuckle has one very unique feature.

: It would be much easier if your POKéMON knew how to FLY... But you can't use FLY without this city's GYM BADGE. If you beat the GYM LEADER here, come see me. I'll have a nice gift for you.

I will get right on to this battling, but there are a couple of things up north to do.

Ooh, I like me some pictures. Just make sure you get my good side, which is both sides!

"you."

Sounds good.

"graph?"

The only right choice is the one we've been with the longest.

Alright, let me get into posi-

Oh. poo poo. Not again.

Well that was a wash, let's see what this Seer is about then.

: Certainly I know of your POKéMON! Hm... I see you met KAKAROTT here: NEW BARK TOWN! The time was Night! Its level was 5! Am I good or what? Incidentally... It seems to have grown a little. KAKAROTT seems to be becoming more confident.

Aww, you're doing great, Kakarott.

Two hidden items nearby, one of them I pick up in between updates. Whoops! Anyway, there's nothing else interesting in Cianwood that I can think of, so let's head to Gym time.

Battlebattlebattlebattle.

• Locked thread