Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Currently only have a GPU with HDMI/VGA (or is it DVI? Doesn't matter anyway) but not DisplayPort.
Looking at monitors currently, one variant of the ones I'm looking at only has DisplayPort, would I be able to use some sort of HDMI adapter in this case and would this limit my maximum refresh rate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

sout posted:

Currently only have a GPU with HDMI/VGA (or is it DVI? Doesn't matter anyway) but not DisplayPort.
Looking at monitors currently, one variant of the ones I'm looking at only has DisplayPort, would I be able to use some sort of HDMI adapter in this case and would this limit my maximum refresh rate?

If it's a 1440p or higher monitor, none of the DisplayPort to DVI/HDMI adapters do dual-link, so you'd be limited to 1200p.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

BIG HEADLINE posted:

If it's a 1440p or higher monitor, none of the DisplayPort to DVI/HDMI adapters do dual-link, so you'd be limited to 1200p.

Cheers. Does 1440p/144Hz work over HDMI? (I'll get a new card soon anyway as I don't expect to be able to play games at that resolution and framerate with my current hardware)

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

sout posted:

Cheers. Does 1440p/144Hz work over HDMI? (I'll get a new card soon anyway as I don't expect to be able to play games at that resolution and framerate with my current hardware)

It depends on the HDMI version. 1.3 will do 2560x1600, 1.4 will do 4K at reduced refresh rates. I'm not even mentioning 2.0 because based on what you're saying, you don't have it. Also, to the best of my knowledge, HDMI's limited to 120Hz.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Talking of box art, I was remembering my first graphics card.

The Asus 9800 GT ULTIMATE.

This thing blew other 9800 GT's out of the loving water!

(It was a rebranded 9800 GTX, while other normal 9800 GT's were rebranded 8800 GT's.) :ssh: It would be like rebranding a 980 Ti as a 980, then putting it against normal 980's

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jun 11, 2016

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Is it common knowledge that GP102 will not use HBM2?

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro

Ak Gara posted:

Talking of box art, I was remembering my first graphics card.

The Asus 9800 GT ULTIMATE.

This thing blew other 9800 GT's out of the loving water!

(It was a rebranded 9800 GTX, while other normal 9800 GT's were rebranded 8800 GT's.) :ssh: It would be like rebranding a 980 Ti as a 980, then putting it against normal 980's

This takes me back, this thing was my first card as well

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Thanks for making me feel old. My first one was a Voodoo2.

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!
This was one of my first cards (My first being a TI4200 128MB):

It even had the box image on the cooler itself.

This card is still running in a computer I gave to my nephews, over 10 years since I bought the thing

Solvency fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jun 11, 2016

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin

Josh Lyman posted:

Is it common knowledge that GP102 will not use HBM2?

There's no such thing as common knowledge where un-released GPUs are concerned. No-one knows and you'll only get rumours until Nvidia is ready to announce something. It's a rumour that GP102 will use GDDR5X. To me that makes sense when you look at the probable performance of the GPU. 700+ GB/s is just not needed on a PCI-E GPU of that capability and HBM is very expensive.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

I just looked at my card and realised I actually DO have DisplayPort.
That was dumb.
Cool cool cool.

dbcooper
Mar 21, 2008
Yams Fan

the panacea posted:

Thanks for making me feel old. My first one was a Voodoo2.

It could be worse. Technically my first video card gave me 80 columns of text and lowercase.

Edit: IIRC my first PC video card was a Matrox Millenium (2MB, probably)

dbcooper fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jun 11, 2016

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Riflen posted:

There's no such thing as common knowledge where un-released GPUs are concerned. No-one knows and you'll only get rumours until Nvidia is ready to announce something. It's a rumour that GP102 will use GDDR5X. To me that makes sense when you look at the probable performance of the GPU. 700+ GB/s is just not needed on a PCI-E GPU of that capability and HBM is very expensive.

Does anyone have a link to a quick primer on video card RAM is for and how it's used? Specifically I'm struggling to contextualise 'how far does GB/s make a difference? When is this a bottleneck compared to processing power?'

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Alchenar posted:

Does anyone have a link to a quick primer on video card RAM is for and how it's used? Specifically I'm struggling to contextualise 'how far does GB/s make a difference? When is this a bottleneck compared to processing power?'

It's where textures and framebuffers are stored for sure and those can take up quite a bit of space (hence sizes being important), and that can be bottlenecked shuffling textures in/out of VRAM to main RAM.

I don't know if the rendering pipelines use the VRAM as a cache, somebody more knowledgeable can help.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Solvency posted:

This was one of my first cards (My first being a TI4200 128MB):

It even had the box image on the cooler itself.

This card is still running in a computer I gave to my nephews, over 10 years since I bought the thing

Linx posted:

This takes me back, this thing was my first card as well

I can't believe I still have the url for the heatsink I added.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/thermalright-t-rad2-vga-cooler-ati-nvidia-hs-057-tr.html

Combined with some great fans, it overclocked something stupid like 25% over the already 25%-faster-than-normal-9800 GT's. While a normal 9800 GT was running 600 Mhz, this was running at 900!

I wonder if I found some wires, if it'll still work :v:

[edit] my pc from before cable management was invented. That poor bottom fan.

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jun 11, 2016

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin

Alchenar posted:

The VRAM holds all the data the GPU needs to work on. All the data sets from the game will either be loaded straight into VRAM, or streamed from storage, through system RAM over PCI-E to the GPU VRAM as it's needed. This happens according to the game's algorithms that determine when assets are required to be loaded.

In almost all situations when playing games, today's GPUs are shader limited. HBM is forward-looking technology that we will need soon. Look at R9 Fury X with HBM. 500+ GB/s bandwidth but still frequently beaten by GPUs with standard GDDR5 and half the memory bandwidth. Memory bandwidth becomes more important the higher the rendering resolution and the more bandwidth-intensive settings are used, such as MSAA. But today's GPUs run out of steam before it's typically a problem.
Modern GPU designs also are using clever data compression algorithms to make it possible to send the same amount of data, but use less bandwidth doing so. This is an example of a finished frame, the frame with colour compressed on Nvidia Maxwell GPUs and then with colour compressed on the new Pascal GPUs.

These improvements are happening alongside continued improvements to GDDR5 bandwidth, (as with GDDR5X) so we have been increasing effective bandwidth as we go. Problem is that GDDR5 only scales so far with regards to power usage and will soon begin to consume an alarming amount of power as speed is increased. This is why we need new tech like HBM, which offers massive bandwidth and lower power usage.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My first aftermarket video card was a GeForce2 MX that I bought in college from eVGA. It had bad memory, you'd get purple corruption when it was doing 3D rendering. eVGA refused to RMA it, and I avoided them for the next ~15 years because of it.

Around that time (~2000) eVGA had an absolutely terrible reputation, it's insane how far they've come. Currently typing this on a computer running a 680 Classified and no qualms about choosing them for my 1080.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Laslow posted:

And to comment about the 970 being overkill for 1080p; I plugged mine in, loaded up GTAV, cranked up all the sliders, enabled everything and was immediately disappointed. Still way better than my old 580, but people on the internet set my expectations a little too high. It'll hold me over til GP100/102 easily though; zero chance for disappointment there if I still have my 1920x1200 monitor.

Speaking anecdotally GTAV was near perfect performance on release and then slowly got worse with each subsequent patch; they broke something with the texture streaming. There's a lot of complaints about it on the Rockstar website.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ak Gara posted:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/thermalright-t-rad2-vga-cooler-ati-nvidia-hs-057-tr.html

Combined with some great fans, it overclocked something stupid like 25% over the already 25%-faster-than-normal-9800 GT's. While a normal 9800 GT was running 600 Mhz, this was running at 900!

Please clean your computer.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Ak Gara posted:

this is what every PC looked like when I was 14 and all of my friends' cases had windows through which you could only see wires

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The only thing 'founding' about the Founder's Edition is that it's set the ~foundation~ for all future nVidia pricing. When the 11xx rolls around we're all gonna be nostalgic for *these* prices.

*Funder's Edition.

Serious though, I'm hoping this is just a 290 launch but with aftermarket coolers and the prices settle down eventually.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Riflen posted:

The VRAM holds all the data the GPU needs to work on. All the data sets from the game will either be loaded straight into VRAM, or streamed from storage, through system RAM over PCI-E to the GPU VRAM as it's needed. This happens according to the game's algorithms that determine when assets are required to be loaded.

In almost all situations when playing games, today's GPUs are shader limited. HBM is forward-looking technology that we will need soon. Look at R9 Fury X with HBM. 500+ GB/s bandwidth but still frequently beaten by GPUs with standard GDDR5 and half the memory bandwidth. Memory bandwidth becomes more important the higher the rendering resolution and the more bandwidth-intensive settings are used, such as MSAA. But today's GPUs run out of steam before it's typically a problem.
Modern GPU designs also are using clever data compression algorithms to make it possible to send the same amount of data, but use less bandwidth doing so. This is an example of a finished frame, the frame with colour compressed on Nvidia Maxwell GPUs and then with colour compressed on the new Pascal GPUs.

These improvements are happening alongside continued improvements to GDDR5 bandwidth, (as with GDDR5X) so we have been increasing effective bandwidth as we go. Problem is that GDDR5 only scales so far with regards to power usage and will soon begin to consume an alarming amount of power as speed is increased. This is why we need new tech like HBM, which offers massive bandwidth and lower power usage.

Thanks!

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Wait, my first card was actually older than some folks'?

My first one was an evga 8800gt sc. I eventually bought my friend's 9800gt, flashed my 8800gt to a 9800gt, ran an unofficial patch to the system to enable sli, and ran them together.

I also have a discrete version of what was in my first computer, a geforce 4 440 mx, iirc. I forget how that happened, my first computer had integrated graphics so it's not from that...

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
My first card was a voodoo 3 3000 I think. Going from like maybe 30 fps in counter-strike to 100+ was nice.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine
First 3d card was from the day when card names were cool: Orchid Righteous, Voodoo1.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

i feel old

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Riva 128zx (well, first 3d card anyways). I remember running beta drivers for awhile so I could get OpenGL support (only supported D3D out of the box). I also remember running Glide to Direct 3D wrappers so I could run those Voodoo only 3d games on it.

That was also before all this crazy box art was a thing. I think it came in a plain white box.

I still remember the day when I installed the first beta driver that had OpenGL support and fired up Quake 2 and chose the OpenGL render instead of software. Mind blown.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jun 11, 2016

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
What's the deal with Amazon getting their 1070 stock late as gently caress? I guess Nvidia sold Newegg some kind of temporary exclusive online retailer agreement or something?

Taima fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jun 11, 2016

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Taima posted:

What's the deal with Amazon getting their 1070 stock late as gently caress? I guess Nvidia sold Newegg some kind of temporary exclusive online retailer agreement or something?

i was confused about that too. still don't think i've seen any cards on amazon other than that lone zotac.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Still no word on when the other aftermarket cards will be available for sale?

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Custom RX480s already showing up. I guess a good sign for a high volume 6/29 release?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

FaustianQ posted:

Custom RX480s already showing up. I guess a good sign for a high volume 6/29 release?

Here's hoping. Was a tiny bit worried by the lack of leaks although we all know the 1080 FE shroud leak was NV's doing.

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro

FaustianQ posted:

Do the designers of that card know it's 2016?

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing
Who cares what a card looks like?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Male Man posted:

Who cares what a card looks like?

Lots of people.

snuff
Jul 16, 2003

Linx posted:

I like it, Sapphire always make these heavy solid looking cards none of that RGB dragon bullshit.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Linx posted:

I like it, much less tacky than most but without looking like there's something missing.

snuff posted:

I like it, Sapphire always make these heavy solid looking cards none of that RGB dragon bullshit.

Don't tell my Vapor-X 290 that. (I do like the direction their coolers have been going, although not as much as I love the Fury X's look).

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jun 11, 2016

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

snuff posted:

My significant other spotted this card when I had it out of my PC to clean the blower out on it, and it's been a running joke about how I must have bought the card because of the girl on it ever since.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Linx posted:

I don't get it, what's wrong with it? It looks alright, it's not covered in XTREME ~GAM3R~ poo poo.

Naffer posted:

My significant other spotted this card when I had it out of my PC to clean the blower out on it, and it's been a running joke about how I must have bought the card because of the girl on it ever since.

The ultimate "card with a woman on it" has to be the ASUS 4870X2, which is basically completely covered in the image of a woman.

I remember that card coming up before from similar conversations, never had one myself. I would say you couldn't get away with marketing like that now, but that would be a horrible lie, you absolutely could.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jun 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

HalloKitty posted:

I don't get it, what's wrong with it? It looks alright, it's not covered in XTREME ~GAM3R~ poo poo.

it looks insanely cheap and lovely. like an off-brand aluminum hard drive enclosure.