Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

FPzero posted:

Ah yes, I'll have a serving of sauerkraut and sweet & sour sauce please. My meals must be comprised of only foods and food products that begin with 'S'.
Oh, and could you also include a scoop of sadness? Super.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

One of the earliest "internet humor" sites I remember was Bad Candy, where they reviewed salty licorice, fizzy milk, and tamarind - the latter of which was considered the most horrific of all. The original site is long gone, but this old archive shares a bit of info. I didn't know the FDA has a "filthy" designation.

Back when I was a middle school kid in the early 2000s, I went on RetroCrush and I-Mockery all the time. One article from RetroCrush I distinctly remember is Orbitz, a really unpopular gimmick soda that had neutral density balls floating in it to look like a neat sci-fi drink. Robert Berry got his hands on some expired Orbitz (since it was out of production for years already when he did it) and tried to drink it and eat the balls. It was apparently awful.

Meanwhile, I-Mockery was at its best during the Halloween season, when they would talk about old cult horror movies and haunted attractions. The 2015 candy review has some AFP of its own.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I am staggered to discover that I-Mockery has continued to exist to this day, and that they haven't updated their design in the slightest. Godspeed, guys, even if you should have reined in the guy with the pickle hat. And didn't Retrocrush used to be run by this guy who, well, wasn't Robert Berry? Matt something-starting-with-C? Or am I thinking of another of those retro sites?

e: no wait that was X-Entertainment! And he's still going as well. Bloody hell, these sites used to basically be the internet, now they could be the subject of a whole new retro stuff article.

My Lovely Horse has a new favorite as of 17:06 on Jun 11, 2016

Xen Tricks
Nov 4, 2010
I'm more baffled to see that they're somehow still updating. Last I saw I-Mockery it had been a good year or two since a post. Good for them I suppose?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

My Lovely Horse posted:

I am staggered to discover that I-Mockery has continued to exist to this day, and that they haven't updated their design in the slightest. Godspeed, guys, even if you should have reined in the guy with the pickle hat. And didn't Retrocrush used to be run by this guy who, well, wasn't Robert Berry? Matt something-starting-with-C? Or am I thinking of another of those retro sites?

e: no wait that was X-Entertainment! And he's still going as well. Bloody hell, these sites used to basically be the internet, now they could be the subject of a whole new retro stuff article.

I'm just amazed that I-Mockery kept the same design and format. Like it's over 10 years since I was actually interested enough to check on their site daily or read through the archives of old horror film write-ups (with crappy GIFs of all the gory kills), and they're basically identical. Roger Barr is still wearing a pickle hat even though he's gotta be floating around 40 by now. Protoclown's picture on the "About Us" page is from like 2002. For Valentine's Day they made a bunch of awful image macros with popular culture from the past few years. It's surreal.

Like this is from last October. It's indistinguishable from the ones from 2004.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

One of the earliest "internet humor" sites I remember was Bad Candy, where they reviewed salty licorice, fizzy milk, and tamarind - the latter of which was considered the most horrific of all. The original site is long gone, but this old archive shares a bit of info. I didn't know the FDA has a "filthy" designation.

Found an archived version of the site, to relive our candy review nostalgia. http://web.archive.org/web/20031017012940/http://www.bad-candy.com/candies/

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Schubalts posted:

Found an archived version of the site, to relive our candy review nostalgia. http://web.archive.org/web/20031017012940/http://www.bad-candy.com/candies/

Awesome.

Anytime anyone mentions tamarind I think "Gee, I wonder if bad-candy.com has come back to life" and check, inevitably disappointed.

And then I describe it to someone and they tell me "Hey bro, tamarind is good poo poo :colbert: "

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Tamarind is good poo poo :colbert: although I'm sure you can make bad cheap candy that tastes like rear end with it just like any other ingredient on the planet. And it's probably better as a souring agent than on its own.

Long as we're talking about the pop culture sites of yesterday I'd just like to put it out there that https://www.encyclopedia-obscura.com was a very good, but appropriately very unknown one.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Mango Pulparindos are very much my crack, and I will eat an entire box and die if given the opportunity.

The fact that Pulparindos are an add-on item on Amazon makes it that much harder to kick the habit.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Xen Tricks posted:

Mexican candy/baked goods are either godly or disgusting based almost entirely on whether they contain tamarind or not. As long as you steer away from that you're good

Godly then.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Might have been posted already but I saw this gem in the 'POS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-e5gTx1fVU4

No pizza rules, but see how far you can make it without saying anything.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Was that a "Maybe Tomato Sauce, Shitloads of Cheese, Too Much Mayonnaise, and Loose Corn with Olives" pizza?

Xen Tricks
Nov 4, 2010

Cavenagh posted:

Godly then.

http://www.thespicehouse.com/spices/hungarian-sweet-paprika

:colbert:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Laserjet 4P posted:

I thought I was home free. I was at the end.

And then the putty knife, and I let out a strangled bleat.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There's no way that was cooked right? It was in for like two minutes

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Sakurazuka posted:

There's no way that was cooked right? It was in for like two minutes

With a professional stone oven it should never take longer than three to four minutes to cook a pizza. Even a home oven at 500 degrees can cook a pizza in 5 minutes excluding the mandatory 1 to 2 minutes under to broiler to brown the top and let the crust char.

Neither is typically cooking pizzas topped like that though :|

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm the three jalapeno slices

PyroDwarf
Aug 24, 2010
Using garbage to cook garbage.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
That was reddish water masquerading as tomato sauce.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Schubalts posted:

That was reddish water masquerading as tomato sauce.

I don't even want to know if that WAS bull semen they topped the pizza with so, so heavily.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

That's awesome.

quote:

This, on the other hand, probably costs $12.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Laserjet 4P posted:

YPPOS bitch. Or would it be pizza poo poo, Har har.

The olives are just that little extra gently caress you.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Laserjet 4P posted:

73 seconds before gurgling in existential horror. Having handled industrial quantities of mayonnaise, its sickening viscosity has turned me off of it for life. Especially when it was this variety:

What possible duty could mayonnaise be pulling to necessitate heavy duty? It's not an approved industrial lubricant for anything. This isn't diesel-powered mayonnaise.

WHY DO YOU CALL IT THAT, DUKE? TELL ME. THE SLURPING AND SLOSHING HAUNT ME STILL.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

my hand after sticking it in a running lawnmower.jpg

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Picnic Princess posted:

my hand after sticking it in a running lawnmower.jpg

Now do the other

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Don't post your fetishes in this thread.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Laserjet 4P posted:

I managed to sit quietly but I did go through several facial expressions. "yeah i want an orange tang, pulled pork, whipped topping, corn, and olive pizza in a hurry"

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Picnic Princess posted:

Don't post your fetishes in this thread.

What if my fetish is horrible food?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Xen Tricks posted:

Oh man, I loved that site when I was a kid! Around 03-05 it was the funniest thing, I'm so sad to see its actually dead. It was around last I saw which had to have been a while now. I'll always remember the candy that was a good percentage "ash" and as well as the hideously salty devil pit that would not leave your mouth no matter what.

I miss the website too. I think Neopets is still going. But when I checked it last it looked as if some of the images and links were broken.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

PCOS Bill posted:

the first society to do away with slavery

This is false. Slavery was a known evil at the time that the constitution was being written, which is why the framers took such pains to avoid mentioning it

baw has a new favorite as of 10:57 on Jun 12, 2016

Xen Tricks
Nov 4, 2010
How is that pasta so inconsistently cooked? Half looks like mush and the other half crunchy???

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Xen Tricks posted:

How is that pasta so inconsistently cooked? Half looks like mush and the other half crunchy???

That's what happens when you microwave cooked pasta uncovered and for too long. :pseudo:

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

^^^^^ Also a fair enough possibility

Xen Tricks posted:

Cook it to mush, then leave it out to air dry for a couple of hours until edges and extremities start to harden up again. Easy.

Anything on that plate is probably fridge temperature and has been stored there uncovered.

Flipperwaldt has a new favorite as of 11:55 on Jun 12, 2016

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NewFatMike posted:

What possible duty could mayonnaise be pulling to necessitate heavy duty? It's not an approved industrial lubricant for anything. This isn't diesel-powered mayonnaise.

WHY DO YOU CALL IT THAT, DUKE? TELL ME. THE SLURPING AND SLOSHING HAUNT ME STILL.

Heavy duty mayo has more egg yolk, it stays stable/in emulsification longer.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Ramen can produce some pretty good AFP sometimes

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

cash crab posted:

Ramen can produce some pretty good AFP sometimes

Sometimes?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Manuel Calavera posted:

Heavy duty mayo has more egg yolk, it stays stable/in emulsification longer.

The evil is now known. Thank you.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

I'm always struck in this thread by how starchy these meals are. Potatoes AND pasta? Bread AND mashed potatoes? I'm a fatty myself but I always try to limit the starch to one aspect and have plenty of veg and protein. Anyone else constantly icked out by how much starch people seem to eat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It's a pretty normal american diet, who hasn't made a mashed potatoes and gravy sandwich?