Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Internet Kraken posted:

So I was gonna take another stab at impossible before going crazy with balance mods, but then the Alien Rulers DLC came out. Is it balanced enough in vanilla to be worth playing or is it a complete mess? I've heard...mixed opinions.

I think it is. But very very hard if you don't know what you're up against beforehand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

objects in mirror
Apr 9, 2016

by Shine
Finally bought this (including all yet released DLC) after holding off since release.

Some questions: What is the recommended difficulty for a first playthrough? I'm going with the penultimate one -- Commander. Is that too hard? I only managed to complete XCOM: EU under normal difficulty, and I found Long War under normal quite challenging (didn't complete it, in fact.)

Also: No 2nd wave options? :confused:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Whatever the default difficulty is seems harder than normal was for EU/EW, but maybe that's because this game is full of timed missions which forces you to play differently than before. It doesn't feel as difficult to me now but I am accustomed to zipping around the map more efficiently now, too

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

dyzzy posted:

I think it is. But very very hard if you don't know what you're up against beforehand.

Keep in mind that you can literally opt out of fighting the rulers of you choose to wait on doing the narrative mission. It doesn't time out if you leave it as far as I know.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

objects in mirror posted:

Some questions: What is the recommended difficulty for a first playthrough? I'm going with the penultimate one -- Commander. Is that too hard? I only managed to complete XCOM: EU under normal difficulty, and I found Long War under normal quite challenging (didn't complete it, in fact.)
It'd probably be better to start out on Veteran, at least if you plan on starting an Ironman game right away. As rabidsquid said, you'll be up against a lot of timed missions this time round, and they demand a very different playing style compared to EU/EW's. There's also a lot of new mechanics in place that you'd do well to familiarise yourself with before diving in too deep.

EDIT: Also don't forget to install Gunther Hermann for best results, obviously.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'm wavering between buying and not buying and the stress is brutal for sure.

Are those mods REQUIRED for the game to feel complete? Does installing them turn off achievements? Is that AyyLmao mod good? I just heard about that.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Jastiger posted:

I'm wavering between buying and not buying and the stress is brutal for sure.

Are those mods REQUIRED for the game to feel complete? Does installing them turn off achievements? Is that AyyLmao mod good? I just heard about that.

No*. No. Its very silly. :cheeky:

Buy the damned game.

*There are however, really nice QoL mods. Treat it like a Bethesda game imo, the base game works and works well but mods can smooth off the rougher edges.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Between my mix of More Mission types and IESS+, my total killed troopers by month 2 was over 100. multiple missions where every round im facing 5 more Advent as they just pour in the troops. 42/42 killed in my preset get your first engineer mission. I had thought I was overdoing it toward easy my way when adding in the Loot Mod, but having one wrong move clowncar in 20 troopers at once tells me I didn't.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Thyrork posted:

No*. No. Its very silly. :cheeky:

Buy the damned game.

*There are however, really nice QoL mods. Treat it like a Bethesda game imo, the base game works and works well but mods can smooth off the rougher edges.

Silly sounds GOOD though? Your post has inspired me to purchase edit: when it goes down even more. Its hard for me to justify a $40 game I'll probably only play through once since XCOM has notoriously been without replay value.

Jastiger fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jun 11, 2016

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Sorry for putting this here but I figured it was better than necro posting in a thread for the reboot and being a console poor (not really).
I got EU on Xbox 360 and it's been added to the backwards compatibility list for Xbox One along with EW. Would it be worth getting EW or just stick with EU until Xcom2 is released in September for Xbox One?

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Jastiger posted:

Silly sounds GOOD though? Your post has inspired me to purchase edit: when it goes down even more. Its hard for me to justify a $40 game I'll probably only play through once since XCOM has notoriously been without replay value.

I found the replay value to be higher with this offering. The campaign has some elements of unpredictability, almost every mission will have a new map layout to it and the modding community is insane in the best way.

As for "Silly sounds good", the Ayy Lmao mod is good if you like internet memes all over your videogames. So your tolerance of it might vary. ;)

Anime_Otaku posted:

Sorry for putting this here but I figured it was better than necro posting in a thread for the reboot and being a console poor (not really).
I got EU on Xbox 360 and it's been added to the backwards compatibility list for Xbox One along with EW. Would it be worth getting EW or just stick with EU until Xcom2 is released in September for Xbox One?

EW adds alot of fun things, if you're going to replay xcom EU, you should grab EW and enjoy the new surprises. And no glory compares to the joy of rocket punching a thinman right into the ocean. :hellyeah:

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Anime_Otaku posted:

EW is really good with awesome new features, but at this point I'd recommend waiting for Xcom2. If you can borrow it from somebody, give it a go. But I wouldn't buy it at this point when X2 is right around the corner.

edit: unless you can get it really cheap, then go for it. But if you're waffling, I'd say to hold out.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Thyrork posted:

I found the replay value to be higher with this offering. The campaign has some elements of unpredictability, almost every mission will have a new map layout to it and the modding community is insane in the best way.

As for "Silly sounds good", the Ayy Lmao mod is good if you like internet memes all over your videogames. So your tolerance of it might vary. ;)

EW adds alot of fun things, if you're going to replay xcom EU, you should grab EW and enjoy the new surprises. And no glory compares to the joy of rocket punching a thinman right into the ocean. :hellyeah:

I'm just torn. Its $40 and i don't get all the DLC. I can get Stellaris, Hearts of Iron 4 with that ( though at FULL PRICE). I'd hate to blow my load on a $40 XCOM 2 and only play it once.

What makes the campaign worth playing again? Also will I find myself reloading all the time if I Lose one guy, because if I lose one guy, I have to restart the mission.
ANd yeah i'm not a huge fan of the memes all over the place heh.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Jastiger posted:

What makes the campaign worth playing again? Also will I find myself reloading all the time if I Lose one guy, because if I lose one guy, I have to restart the mission.
ANd yeah i'm not a huge fan of the memes all over the place heh.
If you stop reloading to save every guy, you'll have more variable campaigns that are pretty fun to replay because they can end up pretty differently.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

His cup should really say Vigilo CoffeeJoe

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Yeah, a lot of the Xcom experience is being dealt a bad hand and struggling against all odds. When you reload after any mistake, I'd argue you're not really playing the game at all. Of course there's no replay value when you didn't even try the "play" value. Dealing with bad situations, bouncing back from failures, having to decide if/when to pull the plug on a mission - these are all part of the game that the save-scummer can't even experience at all. Cost-benefit tradeoffs don't exist either when the cost of things is essentially zero. The evac mechanic and the decision-making that goes around it pretty much don't exist. You robbed yourself of a lot of the game.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

many johnnys posted:

Yeah, a lot of the Xcom experience is being dealt a bad hand and struggling against all odds. When you reload after any mistake, I'd argue you're not really playing the game at all. Of course there's no replay value when you didn't even try the "play" value. Dealing with bad situations, bouncing back from failures, having to decide if/when to pull the plug on a mission - these are all part of the game that the save-scummer can't even experience at all. Cost-benefit tradeoffs don't exist either when the cost of things is essentially zero. The evac mechanic and the decision-making that goes around it pretty much don't exist. You robbed yourself of a lot of the game.

But I named all my guys after me and my family. I don't want to see myself die!! If one of the randomly generated dudes dies, thats OK. But no my guys!!

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Seedge posted:

There's little actually announced about the console port, but I have an exceptionally important question:

Will there be an editable roster list for the game to pull from?

I'm quoting myself because I really want this to be in the game!

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014

Seedge posted:

I'm quoting myself because I really want this to be in the game!

Yes, it's called the Character Pool. Make characters you want the game to use and it'll try to pull it from it either 50% of the time or all of it depending on the setting used for it.

(Or none at all if you set to random only.)

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Exposure posted:

Yes, it's called the Character Pool. Make characters you want the game to use and it'll try to pull it from it either 50% of the time or all of it depending on the setting used for it.

(Or none at all if you set to random only.)

I think they meant in the console version, where character pools are surely going to be harder to share. No idea how it would work in practice.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Jastiger posted:

But I named all my guys after me and my family. I don't want to see myself die!! If one of the randomly generated dudes dies, thats OK. But no my guys!!

Sure, but that notoriously low replayability is imagined, and also largely caused by save reloading so everything goes perfectly. A similarly poor experience can be had in a shooter where you quick save at every corner rather than rolling with the checkpoints.

You rob the game of all tension and excitement and then complain there's no replayability. I mean it's cool if it's not your cup of tea, but the most enjoyable way for a lot of people to play this game is to embrace the difficulty and permanence of the game.

Don't be too proud to turn the difficulty down rather than be a save scummer. You will have an infinitely better experience playing Veteran/Rookie without save scumming, than playing Commander/Legend with save scumming. Every difficulty is very much balanced to be possible to do ironman, even Legend, and that's the way it's intended to be played.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

many johnnys posted:

I think they meant in the console version, where character pools are surely going to be harder to share. No idea how it would work in practice.

Exactly. I want to know if the character pool will be in the console versions.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Maluco Marinero posted:

Sure, but that notoriously low replayability is imagined, and also largely caused by save reloading so everything goes perfectly. A similarly poor experience can be had in a shooter where you quick save at every corner rather than rolling with the checkpoints.

You rob the game of all tension and excitement and then complain there's no replayability. I mean it's cool if it's not your cup of tea, but the most enjoyable way for a lot of people to play this game is to embrace the difficulty and permanence of the game.

Don't be too proud to turn the difficulty down rather than be a save scummer. You will have an infinitely better experience playing Veteran/Rookie without save scumming, than playing Commander/Legend with save scumming. Every difficulty is very much balanced to be possible to do ironman, even Legend, and that's the way it's intended to be played.

True enough. In the first XCOM I didn't want to be a mega save scummer, so I'd only save scum if it was total bullshit on how I died. Like sometimes the enemy would spawn INSIDE your squad, or they'd get to go twice or glitch out or something. Something outside the perimeters of the game.

Funny Xcom story: I was playing it when my daughter was like 8 months old. She was sleeping on my chest and shifted and kicked the keyboard. My heavy ran right into the enemy, and it ended turn. Boom he died immediately ending my, until that point, perfect Iron Man mode :argh:.

She's grounded for 5 months once shes old enough to be grounded.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Jastiger posted:

Funny Xcom story: I was playing it when my daughter was like 8 months old. She was sleeping on my chest and shifted and kicked the keyboard. My heavy ran right into the enemy, and it ended turn. Boom he died immediately ending my, until that point, perfect Iron Man mode :argh:.

She's grounded for 5 months once shes old enough to be grounded.

Eh, :xcom: . I personally like to play Ironman and wear misclicks. A mistakes a mistake. :p

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014

many johnnys posted:

Seedge posted:

Exactly. I want to know if the character pool will be in the console versions.

Sharing different pools is definitely going be vastly harder barring the porting company bothering to make a dedicated console app for it, but the character pool functionality itself should be just as usable on consoles, I mean I got like, 100+ soldiers of my own creation at this point since it's pretty easy to just hop in to the pool, and use the soldier customization tools to make a new soldier with whatever idea popped into my brain that day. The only real major difference in that regard is that whatever idea I may have tends to be influenced by whatever cosmetic mod I installed that day. :v:

Speaking of which, I should probably look into cutting down my 16GB+ worth of mods, XCOM 2's starting to get a bit unbearably slow now...

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I got rid of a bunch of expendable voicepacks when I found that, they tend to be the really huge ones.

I just got back into this yesterday when I realized Alien Hunters was out. I also almost forgot I grabbed that "A Better Advent" mod shortly before losing interest, and never really playing a full game with it.

Between that and the Alien Rulers, this oughta be VERY interesting.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Maluco Marinero posted:

I have to second this advice. I'm still sweating bullets on Normal, especially after I have a momentary lapse of judgement, make a bad move and get punished for it, but the tension of getting put in a bullshit situation and pulling out some of your own bullshit to muddle through is what makes XCOM.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I've been save scumming an attempt at the Exquisite Timing achievement for beating the game before July 1. I ran out of time the first attempt, but I had made a save just after Operation: Gatekeeper. The Forge and hidden gate appeared in the same place, so I could make better use of my time, making a beeline through Asia and to the Forge in southern Africa and then to the gate in southern South America. I just did the gate mid-June with all other projects finished and made a save. Then, I decided to just rush the final two Shadow Projets while contacting two territories in North America, where the final mission seems to appear, while skipping a downed UFO and guerrila op that appearsed, so I could see where the final mission would show up. However, it appeared in Eastern Europe, and I didn't have enough time to contact it. I reloaded the post-gate save, this time exploring the remaining Asian territory to get to Eastern Europe. This time, the final mission popped up in North America. :sigh: There was 3 days spent on an Engineer rumor between the Forge, where I also have a save, and the pai gate. I could probably shave time off there.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jun 12, 2016

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

BlazetheInferno posted:

I got rid of a bunch of expendable voicepacks when I found that, they tend to be the really huge ones.

I just got back into this yesterday when I realized Alien Hunters was out. I also almost forgot I grabbed that "A Better Advent" mod shortly before losing interest, and never really playing a full game with it.

Between that and the Alien Rulers, this oughta be VERY interesting.

The guy I'm watching (Christopher Odd) is on his third play through, first was vanilla, second had mods but was abandoned because some of the mods were OTT hard and now on his third play through with mods, one of which is A Better Advent and it is pretty cool,some of the variants are really nasty, particularly the two Codex variants you can get.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
33% off on Steam today, if you're like me and you've enjoyed all of Beagle's content but you haven't bought them game yet.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

I don't know if any of you use it, but I've just updated my mod Numeric Health Display. I wasn't able to get rid of the grey bar introduced by the alien rulers update, but I came up with an alternative.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
Hmm......

XBONE "reinforcement pack dlc"details posted:

SHEN’S LAST GIFT introduces ADVENT’s “Lost Towers” facility where Chief Engineer Lily Shen accompanies your squad in search of her late father’s secretive final project. Discover a unique new soldier class complete with powerful new combat abilities, strategy mechanics, and customization options.
(gotten from: https://store.xbox.com/en-AU/Xbox-One/Bundle/XCOM-2-Reinforcement-Pack/c28ebfbc-8520-4170-bafd-5d5e79e086a2#gameDetailsSection)

If this can be trusted than Shen's last gift has good odds of of Lily acting as a beefed up specialist on a mission, similar to Bradford in the nest mission.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Stephen9001 fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jun 12, 2016

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Peewi posted:

I don't know if any of you use it, but I've just updated my mod Numeric Health Display. I wasn't able to get rid of the grey bar introduced by the alien rulers update, but I came up with an alternative.

I used your mod all the time, glad to see its back. :unsmith:

Stephen9001 posted:

Hmm......

(gotten from: https://store.xbox.com/en-AU/Xbox-One/Bundle/XCOM-2-Reinforcement-Pack/c28ebfbc-8520-4170-bafd-5d5e79e086a2#gameDetailsSection)

If this can be trusted than Shen's last gift has good of of Lily acting as a beefed up specialist on a mission, similar to Bradford in the nest mission.

Neat!

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.

Stephen9001 posted:

Hmm......

If this can be trusted than Shen's last gift has good of of Lily acting as a beefed up specialist on a mission, similar to Bradford in the nest mission.

Hopefully there is future DLC where we can escort Tygan to get an Advent burger.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I just finished the Avenger shootdown mission and my hands are still shaking from how close it was. I hadn't had a mission this intense since XCOM 1's Newfoundland incident. Mimic Beacons are great, holotargeting is great, flashbangs are great, Bradford sucks for releasing four more Rangers in a mission where you're supposed to keep the enemy at arm's length.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Thyrork posted:

I used your mod all the time, glad to see its back. :unsmith:

Back? It was broken for less than a day when the DLC came out. Or was the grey bar a dealbreaker?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The exquisite timing achievement should still fire if you win on July 4. :colbert: :911:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Peewi posted:

Back? It was broken for less than a day when the DLC came out. Or was the grey bar a dealbreaker?

Huh. To be fair when I tried a whole heap of mods were reporting being busted, maybe yours suffered by proxy.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Man, that was a poo poo-show. Lost two of my squad and two more got shot to hell on an "escort VIP away" mission because the Viper King showed up, then the RNG decided I had offended its ancestors or something and I couldn't hit shots for balls.

RIP Shepard :(

EDIT: This is also how I learned that the rulers will show up on regular missions after meeting them for the first time.

EDIT 2: Holy hell gently caress his tongue/wrap. If you can't free your soldier IMMEDIATELY, they can go unconscious before the end of your turn. Also, something on that drat map was a HEALER, and was healing the drat thing for 8 HP a turn!

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jun 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I have a slow-rear end connection and don't really feel like waiting 60 hours for this game to download, but found a physical copy in stock at a nearby store. My question is: if I install the game off of that physical copy into my Steam install folder, then use the Steam key to add the game on Steam, will I have to redownload the game? For that matter, do physical copies of the game come with a Steam key, so I can buy the DLC through there?