Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Legal in PA, too

§ 3304. Overtaking vehicle on the right.
(a) General rule.--The driver of a vehicle may overtake and
pass upon the right of another vehicle only under one of the
following conditions:
(1) When the vehicle overtaken is making or about to
make a left turn, except that such movement shall not be made
by driving off the berm or shoulder of the highway.
(2) Upon a roadway with unobstructed pavement of
sufficient width for two or more lines of vehicles moving
lawfully in the direction being traveled by the overtaken
vehicle, except that such movement shall not be made by
driving off the roadway.
(b) Limitation.--No passing movement under this section
shall be made unless the movement can be made in safety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Why don't people like to share the highway with a mortician?

Because he's an UNDERTAKER.... EH? EEHHHHH? :smuggo:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Why don't people like to share the highway with a mortician?

Because he's an UNDERTAKER.... EH? EEHHHHH? :smuggo:

... thanks dad

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
If people are going to clog up the left lane, i'm going to undertake.

I have actual video footage of people moving out of the left lane when I approach them, without honking or flicking my brights at them. I might have to post it when I get back home.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

wolrah posted:

The Cleveland Show pretty much nailed this character/car combination:

Haha thats really specific, what was the joke/context behind the Crossfire being portrayed in the show?

Personally, I'm always reminded of Clarkson's comment about it looking like a dog parking it's breakfast.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

nitrogen posted:

If people are going to clog up the left lane, i'm going to undertake.

I have actual video footage of people moving out of the left lane when I approach them, without honking or flicking my brights at them. I might have to post it when I get back home.

Yeah, we're always interested in quality CGI work.

I end up undertaking just about every time I get on the freeway anymore, because it's either 1) impossible to move left and pass due to slowboats, 2) possible but inadvisable due to clearly-visible behavior, or 3) possible but I'd be darting in and out of the passing lanes like a game of Frogger or something.

(I'm mildly curious as to how many of these dildos are the ones merging onto the freeway at 35-40 MPH max, but not curious enough to stand on the brakes and match speed or follow along.)

I do skip undertaking in some instances, though...

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

I saw a good one the other day coming home from work. I'm cruising along, traffic is moving at posted speeds and I see a UHAUL van coming up behind me. Dude is straddling two lanes while coming up on me very fast. As he gets closer, he's drifting into my lane until he's right up on my rear end. For a brief moment, I thought I would tap on my brakes to let him know he's too close and by the time I decide to do it, the guy is now probably 3-4 feet from me and starting to drift into the lane to my right. I decided to speed up as I watch him push the guy to my right out of his lane and attempt to pass between us. This movement all seemed very uncontrolled and not really aggressive because he never really seemed to slow down. When the car next to me swerved to get out of his way, I see the guy behind me "look up" like he'd been asleep the whole time. At this point, he slowed waaay down and stuck to the lane to my left.

About half a mile down the freeway, I can see that he's probably 10-15 car lengths behind me. Good, he probably wasn't paying attention and now he's got the van under control. Nope. Traffic came to a stop and I watched him without braking, slam into a landscaping truck/trailer two lanes to my left. Just launches on top of the landscaping trailer. Poor guy riding in the bed of the pickup looked like he was going to poo poo himself.

There was a cop a ways back that saw the whole thing and was on the scene within a minute. I pulled over to give a statement about his reckless driving moments before and the cop told me he didn't need it because he saw the whole thing. I asked him if the guy was drunk the cop said, "nah, just tired and playing on his phone".

How important is the thing on your phone that you need to take your eyes off of the road for 5-10 seconds at a time? That's the only scenario I can think of to replicate what drunk people do while blacked out behind the wheel.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Had to yell at a middle aged woman in traffic today because the light turned green, the line of cars ahead of us went, but she was apparently taking selfies. In the car. While driving. In traffic.

She flipped me off because I was clearly responsible.

Wiggly
Aug 26, 2000

Number one on the ice, number one in my heart
Fun Shoe

PCOS Bill posted:

Had to yell at a middle aged woman in traffic today because the light turned green, the line of cars ahead of us went, but she was apparently taking selfies. In the car. While driving. In traffic.

She flipped me off because I was clearly responsible.

Do you live near Denver? It may have been my sister-in-law.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

I Might Be Adam posted:

How important is the thing on your phone that you need to take your eyes off of the road for 5-10 seconds at a time? That's the only scenario I can think of to replicate what drunk people do while blacked out behind the wheel.

I really can't wait for everyone but me to have an autonomous car.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Wiggly posted:

Do you live near Denver? It may have been my sister-in-law.

Pittsburgh

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

davebo posted:

I really can't wait for everyone but me to have an autonomous car.

Is your uncle white haired? Does he have a barn?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

xzzy posted:

Is it on a country place that no one knows about?

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Salt Lake rollover caught on dash cam
http://fox13now.com/2016/06/10/rollover-crash-captured-on-dash-cam/

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Holy poo poo!
http://kgab.com/six-dead-in-crash-near-cody/

People talk about Wyoming highway fatalities because we have so few people, but the number is misleading because our population is artificially doubled often by travelers. That is why you will always notice it is visitors that get creamed.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

A typical scenario: I am properly using the left lane to pass. Someone comes flying up behind me while I am passing. As I complete the pass and signal to move back right when I am a safe distance ahead of the car in the right lane, fuckhead behind me decides to shoot the gap.

Do I keep moving right and have him rear end me? Or swerve back left and yell "holy poo poo!"

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

More proof Chrysler owners are loving terrible panicky idiots

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

The amount of scripts I had to allow to watch that is even more terrifying...

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

BOOTY-ADE posted:

More proof Chrysler owners are loving terrible panicky idiots

I hate PT Cruiser owners as much as the next guy, but after watching the video a dozen times, and taking into account the motorcyclist that the PT was afraid to turn into paste, my vote for dipshittiest driver of the vid is still the no-look, blinkerless black Suburban.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

No, the PT driver panicked and lost control in a situation that could have been easily averted by just applying the brakes.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

MrOnBicycle posted:

The amount of scripts I had to allow to watch that is even more terrifying...

Facebook: not even once.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

leica posted:

No, the PT driver panicked and lost control in a situation that could have been easily averted by just applying the brakes.

He might not have selected "brakes" on the options sheet. :colbert:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

FogHelmut posted:

A typical scenario: I am properly using the left lane to pass. Someone comes flying up behind me while I am passing. As I complete the pass and signal to move back right when I am a safe distance ahead of the car in the right lane, fuckhead behind me decides to shoot the gap.

Do I keep moving right and have him rear end me? Or swerve back left and yell "holy poo poo!"

This is always a tricky situation from both sides, because some people are impatient fuckers who'll shoot the gap the second they have the space to do so, but at the same time from the rear car perspective I've encountered a lot of drivers who seem to think that they need to give enough space for a full length semi truck to fit before moving over, or clearly don't think about moving over until they realize they're about to get passed on the right.

The best thing to do if you're the front car in this situation is to just use your signal to make it clear that you intend to move over as soon as you've completed the pass safely, then actually do it.

If I'm passing and have someone who clearly wants to pass me show up in the process I put my blinker on pretty much the second the rear of my car is clear of the traffic I'm passing, then get a car length or two before actually moving over. If they're too impatient to wait they'll generally shoot the gap before I've started moving over, but most get the idea and let me get out of their way. Either way I now have a "rabbit" in front of me who'll attract the attention of revenue enforcement.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I go by what they told me in drivers ed 16 years ago - far enough ahead that you can see the car in your rear view mirror before moving right.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

FogHelmut posted:

I go by what they told me in drivers ed 16 years ago - far enough ahead that you can see the car in your rear view mirror before moving right.

I do that too, but I've had my fair share of idiots who still try to shoot the gap as soon as there is barely enough space. Hopefully they'll get caught pulling that poo poo on an unmarked police car some day.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

wolrah posted:

The best thing to do if you're the front car in this situation is to just use your signal to make it clear that you intend to move over as soon as you've completed the pass safely, then actually do it.

I agree with this. The only problems I've seen has been when the person in front doesn't signal their lane change or only signals halfway through the move. The person behind them jerks back into the left lane or the lead does the same, or they both jerk back and it becomes an even bigger miscommunication. I'm not saying this is the lead car's fault, just that the impatient person following them generally will not make the more dangerous undertake move if the lead car signals their intent to get out of the way.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
If someone is hauling rear end up on me as I am passing (amazingly, this does happen) I am signaling as soon as I pull even with the car I'm passing, just so they know I'm aware of them and moving over as soon as possible. I watch my mirrors carefully while passing, and also while being passed. I've had cops fly up on me and did exactly the same thing, they didn't pull me over or even hit the blues to get past me, but had used the blues to move the guy behind me over and did it to the next guy in front of me too.

And yes, I then follow whoever passed me at lightspeed, between idiot radar sponges and Waze I haven't been surprised by a radar trap in two years :v:

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

xzzy posted:

I never understood in that song why they started making the cars so large but then didn't update the infrastructure (single lane bridge) to accommodate.

I was just thinking it'd be nice for all the autonomous cars forcing themselves to follow at a safe enough to brake at high speeds distance, so manual drivers could cut through any lane anytime. Then I remembered minority report where they all just move close together in flawless synergy. I assume I'll be dead long before then.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

davebo posted:

I never understood in that song why they started making the cars so large but then didn't update the infrastructure (single lane bridge) to accommodate.

Well, the red Barchetta in question was from a better managed time.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

They weren't real cars. "Gleaming alloy air-cars" were in his imagination. He was pretending to race the bad guys.
Also, it's "better vanished time." I am a huge nerd, thank you for reading.

Funzo fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jun 12, 2016

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Funzo posted:

They weren't real cars. "Gleaming alloy air-cars" were in his imagination. He was pretending to race the bad guys.
Also, it's "better vanished time." I am a huge nerd, thank you reading.

Hmm, I went to Google to look up the lyrics to prove you wrong. I only proved I had been hearing them wrong for many years.

Any day you learn something is not a wasted day.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I flicked my brights to get a car to move over this morning and it worked!

Once I passed them and moved over they turned their brights on and left them on. :bang:

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Bovril Delight posted:

I flicked my brights to get a car to move over this morning and it worked!

Once I passed them and moved over they turned their brights on and left them on. :bang:

Here if you flick your lights behind someone they swerve wildly like you're firing lasers at them. I guess it startles them? :shrug:

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

That is such bullshit - you'll shortcut just fine if you have enough momentum.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
People in the Atlanta metro are aggressively oblivious.

https://gfycat.com/ResponsibleFantasticGeese

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
I'm the person you're stuck in traffic behind.

I'm in Boston this week, and yesterday, I was at one of these crazy 8 way boston intersections with 6 different lights.

I'm watching 5 of those lights, and they are all red.

I hear honking, and i'm wondering "what the gently caress?"

I look over to the right, and there's yet another light I didn't see, and it's green.

gently caress driving in Boston.

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

What a frightening beast!

nitrogen posted:

I'm the person you're stuck in traffic behind.

As a Brit who drives in the US occasionally the only way I remember that "turn right on red" is a thing is the first time each trip I'm sitting at a red light to turn right and get beeped.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I couldn't get my camera out of my pocket quick enough, but I passed a rusted out Dodge Dynasty with a front plate that read "Doo Doo" centered over the poop emoji. She is the people I share a road with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Tonight, I-5 ground to a halt because a car hit a cyclist on the only three miles of interstate in the entire region that cyclists AREN'T allowed on.