Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Wild Horses posted:

hisoka should be 50/50 with a strong enhancer, since he can manipulate you very well with bungee gum and set traps with cards and the like, even though he's going to be weaker
phinks hatsu is pretty much nullified though, but that doesn't really matter since enhancers are so strong

It isn't like enhancers have an innate advantage over any other type. Phinks is tough, yeah, but not really more so than any of the other combat-focused spiders. But unlike the rest, his hatsu can be nullified. Whether that disadvantage is enough for Hisoka to beat him, who knows? It isn't like Hisoka is gonna be in top form at any point in his killing spree.

Though if he is going for easy prey first rather than just the two people he was really mad at, Shizuku is totally dead meat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Serious Frolicking posted:

It isn't like enhancers have an innate advantage over any other type. Phinks is tough, yeah, but not really more so than any of the other combat-focused spiders. But unlike the rest, his hatsu can be nullified. Whether that disadvantage is enough for Hisoka to beat him, who knows? It isn't like Hisoka is gonna be in top form at any point in his killing spree.

Though if he is going for easy prey first rather than just the two people he was really mad at, Shizuku is totally dead meat.

They definitely have an innate advantage if it's a straight punchmans fight. If instead of throwing punches, kicks, and poo poo the other guy is shooting magic beams and changing how reality works, then there isn't an innate advantage. Hisoka kind of splits the difference between the two styles though.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Gyges posted:

They definitely have an innate advantage if it's a straight punchmans fight. If instead of throwing punches, kicks, and poo poo the other guy is shooting magic beams and changing how reality works, then there isn't an innate advantage. Hisoka kind of splits the difference between the two styles though.

There's also the small problem that Hisoka only wants to fight Chrollo - killing the other Spiders is just necessary prep work for Round Two. I'd be surprised if most of them even see him coming before they get snuffed.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Ohhh I'm excited for the possible Kurapika and Hisoka team-up! They would basically be unbeatable.

Man that dark continent voyage is gonna be a bloodbath

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Oh man, some of the Princes are pretty strong too, aren't they? Hisoka might want to be there.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The big wild card is that Chrollo thought there was a precious treasure on the ship. In other words, the pot that makes nen beasts. I desperately want to see what Chrollo's would look like if a normal depraved despot got a freaky titty monster.

On that topic, I don't really know what to compare nen beasts to. I'm trying to think of something similar to a creature born from a person's mind that isn't directly controlled by that person, but I'm coming up blank. Stands aren't autonomous. Tamed monsters aren't innate. Maybe something shoujo?

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

On that topic, I don't really know what to compare nen beasts to. I'm trying to think of something similar to a creature born from a person's mind that isn't directly controlled by that person, but I'm coming up blank. Stands aren't autonomous. Tamed monsters aren't innate. Maybe something shoujo?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

The big wild card is that Chrollo thought there was a precious treasure on the ship. In other words, the pot that makes nen beasts. I desperately want to see what Chrollo's would look like if a normal depraved despot got a freaky titty monster.

Stands are not always autonomous, but they can be. There are even stands that keep going after the original creator dies, or only work after the creator dies.

I'd say that nen beasts are most similar to automatic stands, except the people that make them can't necessarily see them.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
I can't get over how good I think that fight was, some of the imagery was so evocative. The piles of bodies climbing on one another to tear down and break a murderous clown flying through the air while others explode around him is just so outrageous

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Oxxidation posted:

There's also the small problem that Hisoka only wants to fight Chrollo - killing the other Spiders is just necessary prep work for Round Two. I'd be surprised if most of them even see him coming before they get snuffed.

Must be a weird thing to have your last sensation before death be noticing the curious smell of tires and bubble gum.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I think the most important thing to take from this chapter is... the fact that Hisoka is crazy. We may have forgotten that, as he has appeared in lots of arcs, some times as ally, where he has been "reduced" to someone who happens to love to fight strong opponents. No, no, he always was nuts, as this chapter remind us with who we are dealing. He is the Joker of HxH.

What he does when he resurrects? He laughs and say "oops fighting Chrollo in those conditions was a bit too much ♣. Reality sure how to give you a wake up call! ♥". He was close of saying "me so baka! >_<"
He is offered help to heal his wounds and disfigured face and he chooses to be a zombie like mesh of nen and flesh for life. And then he goes out prancing and happy as if nothing happened.

Did Chrollo have help form the RG members in the fight? I opt over the "yes" side. There are clues like that panel with Hisoka's comment of the fishing line (when the Black Voice's antenna mysteriously disappear). The fight ended and that little mystery seemed to amount to nothing, but this chapter reminded me of a nen user specialized in similar "fishing lines" threads, Machi! What was the point of that panel, if not to give a clue of what was really happening? Narratively speaking, it served no other purpose. The other point that seemed suspect is when Hisoka (which despite losing this fight clearly he is around Chrollo's level) estimated 30 more clones, and then 200 attack them. If Korotopi was doing clones and Chrollo just using the stamp and seals he would produces the clones much faster than acting alone.
Finally, the three RG members were in the building as they quickly recovered the body to be sure he was dead.

Obviously the fact Hisoka's crazy gambit worked is... Togashi. To make it work, it was needed that his body wasn't very damaged (he really die by suffocation), and then Machi happens to join head and neck, and for his nen after death work, and then Togashi played loose with things like brain's oxygen deprivation. It feels a bill bullshit, and mainly because nen is supposed to survive after death in rare cases, usually associated with great grudges (a bit like the idea in fiction that spirits staying on the world after death if there is a big grudge still pending). It didn't feel like Hisoka has a great grudge, he was more "oh well I'm going to try this..."

I wonder if, given how nen conditions/pledges work, Hisoka has received a boost because he limited himself to not fix his hand and foot and not look for help, so the nen used to replace them is stronger than normal.

About if Hisoka killed the spider members because they didn't have powers in that moment, we don't know. Chrollo may had returned them back, releasing them from the book, but in Shalnark's case the phone is physical object so that's why Chrollo asked if he wanted it now. I think the main cause Hisoka had an easy time with them was the pure surprise factor (combined with the fact they didn't know Hisoka's new plan). If you aren't someone like a strong enhancer, who gets to give the first hist is very important.

edit: Oh yeah I also think Togashi reads Dorohedoro. That had to be an homage.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jun 11, 2016

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

It's more if you can't overcome their aura it's really hard to damage them.
Phink's aura might be strong enough that hisoka would have trouble in that department, so he might resort to trickery or hit and run

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Turin Turambar posted:

I think the most important thing to take from this chapter is... the fact that Hisoka is crazy. We may have forgotten that, as he has appeared in lots of arcs, some times as ally, where he has been "reduced" to someone who happens to love to fight strong opponents. No, no, he always was nuts, as this chapter remind us with who we are dealing. He is the Joker of HxH.

If anything he's a lot simpler than Joker, because we know exactly what he wants and how he gets it, especially after recent events. He's a thrill-seeker and adrenaline junkie who gets off on fighting strong dudes. Some people ride rollercoasters, Hisoka murders folk.

He also doesn't particularly give a poo poo whether he lives or dies, hence his blase attitude (remember when he casually suggesting killing Killua to Illumi's face just to get a rise out of him?) but he is kind of annoyed at losing a fight he worked so long to set up, so he took some last-ditch measures to set up Round Two: This Time It's Personal.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

Obviously the fact Hisoka's crazy gambit worked is... Togashi. To make it work, it was needed that his body wasn't very damaged (he really die by suffocation), and then Machi happens to join head and neck, and for his nen after death work, and then Togashi played loose with things like brain's oxygen deprivation.

There have been cases of people being revived an hour after death by drowning, with no brain damage. It's unlikely, but it isn't medically impossible.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Turin Turambar posted:

What he does when he resurrects? He laughs and say "oops fighting Chrollo in those conditions was a bit too much ♣. Reality sure how to give you a wake up call! ♥". He was close of saying "me so baka! >_<"
He is offered help to heal his wounds and disfigured face and he chooses to be a zombie like mesh of nen and flesh for life. And then he goes out prancing and happy as if nothing happened.

He has a pretty good reason for this aside from being crazy, though. If he let Machi sow him back up then it slows him down because Korotupi and Shalnark have no powers for an uncertain period of time after the fight and would become harder to get rid of. Also once she figures out that she's after the Spiders she can just dispel her stitches and he'll fall apart on the spot.

I mean yeah Hisoka could've gone the cold rational revenge way a la Kurapika but that's reaaaaallly not his style

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
This is also very much not his style. Hisoka wants to kill strong people but more importantly he wants to humble and humiliate them first. If he wasn't furious over dying I doubt he would have ever bothered with Kortopi and Shalnark.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

If anything he's a lot simpler than Joker, because we know exactly what he wants and how he gets it, especially after recent events. He's a thrill-seeker and adrenaline junkie who gets off on fighting strong dudes. Some people ride rollercoasters, Hisoka murders folk.

He also doesn't particularly give a poo poo whether he lives or dies, hence his blase attitude (remember when he casually suggesting killing Killua to Illumi's face just to get a rise out of him?) but he is kind of annoyed at losing a fight he worked so long to set up, so he took some last-ditch measures to set up Round Two: This Time It's Personal.

Yeah, I imagine this kind of attitude is also why the post-death nen worked for him. That plan was something he was able to come up with on a whim but also something he was able to entirely focus himself on in that moment.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

I wonder if Hisoka could have re-used the curse nen he resurrected himself with to form his hand and food and patch his injuries up.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Would you say his attitude is both flexible enough to adjust to whatever circumstance while also allowing him to stick to his personal convictions?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

tbp posted:

I can't get over how good I think that fight was, some of the imagery was so evocative. The piles of bodies climbing on one another to tear down and break a murderous clown flying through the air while others explode around him is just so outrageous

it was really good and i was completely wrong but i'm glad of the results anyway

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Rather than saying he resurrected himself resuscitated would be more accurate. There is a clear distinction. It only worked because his body was more or less intact and he died from suffocation. All of his wounds are still there and were still bleeding until he used aura as bandages.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Nen CPR basically.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Rather than saying he resurrected himself resuscitated would be more accurate. There is a clear distinction. It only worked because his body was more or less intact and he died from suffocation. All of his wounds are still there and were still bleeding until he used aura as bandages.

you mean ignoring the fact he was brain dead

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Jose posted:

Well, that is where the supernatural power came into it.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
we don't know how long he stayed like that. could be less than ten minutes for all we know

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
It's especially rude when you consider that Hisoka killed Kortopi in the bathroom.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Someone elsewhere pointed this out, but there seems to be at least some bitterness or desire for revenge influencing Hisoka here, based on how he killed Kortopi and Shalnark and treated their corpses. Kortopi's power was used to make a bunch of puppets Hisoka had to destroy via decapitation, and Hisoka decapitated him. Meanwhile, Shalnark's power controls people, and Hisoka strung his corpse up like a puppet.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Jose posted:

To be fair the series has always played it quite fast and loose with organ death.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

tbp posted:

Yeah I've said it before but just look at this poo poo, god drat. This is one of those shounen images that will just stick with me forever I think, like the beam struggle between Goku and Vegeta or Zoro taking all of Luffy's unable to save a single bro.

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009
Can't wait to see that animated in like a decade.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Not sure of Netero's voiceacting in the dub. It's not particularly great.

Beans is perfect, though.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
How would the Zoldyck family react to Hisoka going after Kalluto? For that matter, how do they feel about him joining the spiders?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Kalluto is weird as heck. His family barely seem to acknowledge his existence, even when he is present. Then there is how he joined the spiders to bring Killua home. How does that even work?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Say Nothing posted:

How would the Zoldyck family react to Hisoka going after Kalluto? For that matter, how do they feel about him joining the spiders?

I mean he's basically plying the family trade, so presumably they're fine with it. It's not like Silva couldn't drag Kalluto back if he wanted to.

Kalluto watched Killua convince Silva to let him join Gon, so he probably just used the same argument to leave and join the Spiders :v:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

wait a minute who the gently caress is beanface

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Stairmaster posted:

wait a minute who the gently caress is beanface

Zeno's father, I think.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

alkanphel posted:

Zeno's father, I think.

His grandfather, actually. Maha Zoldyck. Apparently an Enhancer, and a terrifyingly strong man, at least in the past; Netero is one of the few people to have fought him and lived, according to Zeno.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Kalluto is weird as heck. His family barely seem to acknowledge his existence, even when he is present. Then there is how he joined the spiders to bring Killua home. How does that even work?

I think the idea was that when Kurapica tried to kill the Spiders again, Killua would be with him again, and Kalluto could get into Killua's good graces by betraying the Spiders. Although if that was his plan, it's ruined now that Killua is hanging out with Alluka and Kurapica has joined the Zodiacs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Rohan Kishibe posted:

Yeah I've said it before but just look at this poo poo, god drat. This is one of those shounen images that will just stick with me forever I think, like the beam struggle between Goku and Vegeta or Zoro taking all of Luffy's unable to save a single bro.

A lesser mangaka would have settled for just the top image. These two pics in conjunction though convey not only the ridiculousness of the situation but also the raw fervor of that pile of people, the sheer focus of and slightly desperate but still precise respone from the hanging murderclown, basically rather than just showing a moment in time it shows characters and the flow and motion of an entire situation. The storyboarding here is just so drat good.

If I wanted to recommend someone to read this manga, I would show them just this page.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jun 12, 2016