Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Z3n posted:

Your BP is so much better than mine :mad:

Have you considered getting higher rear set plates / adjustable rear sets to lift the pegs more and let you lock in to the bike easier? If you're running N footpeg brackets the S ones are a bit higher.

Same. The other option is to not lean off as much :v:

I'm picking this up tomorrow afternoon for $1800 with a title. Plan is to do babbys first race (season) with CVMA this fall.

quote:

Zero Gravity clear windscreen
FP racing shorty levers
Aluminum brake res
Spiegler steel braided lines (front and rear)
Vesrah brake pads
Woodcraft frame sliders
Clutch case slider
BMC racing air filter
Vortex smog block off plates
Crank case evac mod
Dynojet Power commander (ESP tuned)
Dynojet quick shifter
Vortex rearsets
Vortex clip ons
Stomp grip tank pads
Hot bodies racing plastics
Sunglo gear position indicator
Chain and sprockets have 3k miles (0/+2)
Tires have 75% tread life
Glafer rear wave rotor
EBC stage 2 clutch
GPR V4 stabilizer
Brand new battery
Yoshimura full exhaust

Voltage posted:

Awesome shots! I really, really need to do a track day. I'm just apprehensive about bringing my only bike there, but I just slapped Q3's on my Tuono which should work fine on track...

Do it, Q3s are more than enough :v:

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 16:38 on May 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M42
Nov 12, 2012

The pegs are S, on riser plates - I could go up and back another notch. Though honestly, I sat on my buddy's supersport, and the body configuration would be so much better for me than the sv's with the enormous (relative to my size) tank. I could pivot around the ss one so much better. Now i'm looking at trackbikes :(

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

M42 posted:

The pegs are S, on riser plates - I could go up and back another notch. Though honestly, I sat on my buddy's supersport, and the body configuration would be so much better for me than the sv's with the enormous (relative to my size) tank. I could pivot around the ss one so much better. Now i'm looking at trackbikes :(

Just wreck your SV, make that a track bike, and use the insurance money to buy an R1.

:getin:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

M42 posted:

Older 600s are totally available for sub 2k. Cheaper than wadding your SV!

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

BlackMK4 posted:

Same. The other option is to not lean off as much :v:

I'm picking this up tomorrow afternoon for $1800 with a title. Plan is to do babbys first race (season) with CVMA this fall.

Do it, Q3s are more than enough :v:

How do you constantly find deals like this, gently caress!

I want a cheap track 600

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Razzled posted:

How do you constantly find deals like this, gently caress!

I want a cheap track 600

Craigslist email alerts and a pile of cash in my desk at work :v:

Betty
Apr 14, 2008
What year was that thing and why was so cheap? The total price of just the mods are more than the sale price. Nice find.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
It's a 2003 R6. I think the non-inverted forks put a lot of people off in terms of the early 2nd gen R6 (despite handling better than the inverted later ones - god, don't let saying this trigger anyone). I almost bought a 2005 with similar mods for $2200 earlier this week but it had no title so I let it go. I'm grabbing it on the way home from work tomorrow night. Pics then.

Time to browse for a rear shock and something to put in the forks.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 02:19 on May 11, 2016

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

BlackMK4 posted:

Looks like a good buy, I should really keep an eye out for something cheaper and more disposable.

M42 posted:

You say that like it's a bad thing. :getin: SV tank is massive, find a beater 600 or even 250 and run it

There's another RS125 for sale but it's an earlier version and hasn't been run in 10+ years. Really trying not to pull the trigger on it and stick in a CRF450X/R engine. Consumables would change from pistons to cush drives they only last a day on RS125/450 hybrids

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
If you did it do a crf250r engine. The 450 head is just slightly too wide and it makes the whole world garbage. 250R would be pretty easy.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Gonna be at NCBike 6/11 :woop:

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013
Going to get my race suit altered so it actually fits before my next track day in July, hopefully it'll get a lot better.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I need to do this too. :(

I finally got time to start auditing the R6.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

That thing is so glorious.

Dysturbed Ryders, October 3, btw. You know how to find me for deets - you in this year?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'm definitely in. :) THill?

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 18:20 on May 15, 2016

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ya, the same as last year!

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
Just registered for COTA July 9/10 if any of y'all are gonna be there. I need someone to pit with.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Anyone have a better recommendation before I send off my stock forks and rear shock to Lindermann Engineering for a revalve and respring?
I haven't called for a final price but it looks like forks would be $560 and rear shock would be $460.

There is a trackday at Inde next weekend but I'm still waiting on a quickshift sensor to arrive from Canada. Better fuckin get here before then.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jun 10, 2016

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I've got my first trackday of the year tomorrow. Been slacking. Also have you signed up for the Oct 3 day, Mk4?

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Just a heads up: superbike-coach.com is doing a track day at Thill West on 7/30. 150 per rider and he runs a really tight ship. I can't make it this time but was at his previous one in March and had a good time.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Z3n posted:

I've got my first trackday of the year tomorrow. Been slacking. Also have you signed up for the Oct 3 day, Mk4?

Not yet, I've been lazy as poo poo. I should probably do that now, along with request my PTO.
Thanks for reminding me.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Yay!

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

:(

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Not going?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

If I can go it'll be as a spectator I only. Do never buy a house.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'll be bringing the R6 and the Tuono........

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I'll do my best to come down and kick it. We have a little Northwest group making the journey anyways.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Yeah like we couldn't provide a bike for you, jerk.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Sent my payment tonight :)

Still waiting on my QS sensor... I hope it gets here this week so I can run Inde next weekend. I've got the bike 100% sorted in terms of being ready to race CVMA this year other than the sensor and deciding what to do with the suspension. I think I need to get a brake lever guard too.

edit: gently caress it, got it working right without the QS sensor. Bike has a huge flatspot at like 25-50% throttle in the 3-5k area. I think I kinked my fuel line but it's too hot to pull the tank up and check.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jun 12, 2016

JohnnyDangerously
Aug 3, 2007
Disgruntled
I got a thing.

Got a great deal (I hope) on a 2000 SV650 dedicated track bike. I'm so excited to ride this thing in anger after taking it up and down the block. I've only done one track day before but it was enough to get the bug.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

NCBike came and went. It was alright, though I ended up with severe heat exhaustion/approaching heat stroke, had to sit out the last 2. No more TDs down south in the summer, my iceblasted hellscape born-and-raised body just can't deal with that poo poo no matter how much I hydrate. Free lunch was dope though.

Anyways, main issue is still the foot thing. I dragged my goddamn toes everywhere. Every time I do the "pivot on ball of foot, heel at rearset guard" I end up with my feet in a sideways squat like a frog, and my toes 3 miles beyond the peg. You can see it in pics:

Any advice? Anyone have this issue? Is it as simple as moving the pivot point further towards my toes instead of the ball of the foot? Help me save my toe sliders.

dope

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
So something to keep in mind is that the line you run relates to your lean angle the most out of anything you do. This is why you see some people carrying perfect Marquez lean angle / BP while running C pace. Another thing is that you don't want a bunch of weight on your inside foot. If you can't pick your foot up mid corner you probably have too much weight on it. This will change how you have your foot on the peg and you will feel more comfortable having your foot kinda angled. Meh, hard to explain. Two big things there though.

Another thing is rearsets.

Seriously though, biggest thing is likely your line choice.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Re: weight on foot, yeah I probably had too much on there. Supposed to be more on the outside knee where you're "hanging" off the tank right? Had the same problem following the CR's line too :(

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Yes, and I think you will find that if you try to hang off like a fuckin spider monkey it's really difficult without weighting the inside or providing a ton of bar input by accident.
Another thing is you can also drop your body in more towards the end of corners if you're running wide as a last second correction while on the throttle. There is probably a proper name for doing that.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jun 15, 2016

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

That's pretty normal - mostly, lock in with your outside knee and have zero weight on your inside foot. Your weight should be in your seat and on your knee/outside foot.

It's a completely unique set of muscles to use, so don't expect any other sort of cross training to really work. Just gotta hang off and get into riding shape. You should be able to pull your inside leg up entirely without issue. Then you can move your inside foot up on the peg. If you continue to pick up speed and move to track tires rearsets will become a must, along with these techniques.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
So, the THill day is on October 3rd.

Chuckwalla CCW SoCal Trackdays open session - Oct 1/2
Spring Mountain Trackxperience - Oct 1/2

Seems legit.

I'll probably do Spring Mountain on Oct 1st since I've never been.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jun 15, 2016

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Nice that's a good weekend :)

Eaterofpoptarts
Oct 7, 2013
Is anyone in the ATL area going to the WERA Cycle Jam at Road ATL this weekend?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Can you guys recommend any online resources for track day related stuff? YouTube channels forums whatever. Bike build diary type stuff especially.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Ninjette.org has a bunch of build threads and track prep stuff. Have you looked at those yet?

• Locked thread