Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Blockhouse posted:

I have never and likely never will be able to summon the slightest bit of a care for the Inhumans

You should, their comics are quite good. Charles Soule is a Good Writer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I'm sure they're great but they're not for me

I just don't care!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Karnak is a good comic.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Rhyno posted:

Karnak is a good comic.

It's super Warren Ellis-y which I like. It star Karnak which I also like. It has some crazy art which I also like.

It is a good comic.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Blockhouse posted:

I have never and likely never will be able to summon the slightest bit of a care for the Inhumans

On the otherhand, Lockjaw. :3:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Anyone who doesn't like Lockjaw can't be my friend.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I wish Lockjaw was back in Ms. Marvel. They took him out and now he's not in any comics.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

DrProsek posted:

I can kinda see why a small handful of them are cool, but the Nuhumans save for Ms Marvel I don't give the slightest poo poo about.

You better not be talking poo poo about my boy Flagman.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

If Inhumans are the replacement mutants, they are already a straight-up improvement in terms of characters who act as the team bus. MUTANTS: blonde girl w/ demon sword, pink-haired Welsh girl girl w/ demon sword, blue demon-y guy who likes swords; INHUMANS: Lockjaw, Eldrac the Door.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Eldrac is so loving great and validates the entire concept of the Inhumans by himself.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Eldrac should make out with Hub the Living Engine.

They should kiss, with their Inhuman tongues.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Toxxupation posted:

Eldrac is so loving great and validates the entire concept of the Inhumans by himself.

I dropped the Inhumans when it stopped being about Black Bolt punching time travelers and running a bar and shifted to the rest of the royal family fighting over Johnny Storm. Who is this character and will he make me pick the series back up?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

He's a dude who, when he was exposed to Terrigen, became a literal loving door that transports everyone to "where they need to go", not where they want to go. He can't move, talk, or otherwise communicate in any way beyond opening his mouth and creating a portal to where he thinks people need to go. He's an intensely tragic character and indicative of how the Inhumans can be and are very cruel via their own thoughtlessness and disregard for the wants of others, especially people "below" them (which I always considered was the Inhumans' tragic flaw - the presumption that, being royals, everyone else is their subject/serves their rule, compounded by their collective inferiority complex due to their origins).

Mutants' "tragic flaw" - that they're just as prejudiced as other minorities when given power - always rang kinda hollow for me and feels like a very simplistic, obvious point to make about X-People, and it's why I love the Inhumans so much and prefer them as a collective body. Stuff like Eldrac plays into the Inhumans' blind imperialism and strict caste system, which to me makes for much more interesting stories.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

SilverSupernova posted:

I dropped the Inhumans when it stopped being about Black Bolt punching time travelers and running a bar and shifted to the rest of the royal family fighting over Johnny Storm. Who is this character and will he make me pick the series back up?

Eldrac is a living door that appeared briefly in All New Inhumans but not at all in Uncanny Inhumans. He will not help you pick UNI back up.

The Inhumans are a worthy successor to the mutants, in that both have terrible team books but great solo books.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Either way both Inhuman team books are great right now. Uncanny is great (and has Black Bolt running a nightclub) and All-New consists of Crystal running around being a goodwill ambassador for Inhumans due to how hosed up the end of Infinity was for Earth at large. They're both two very different but related stories and feel really cohesive.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Eldrac Elfacts:
  • As the Living Door, is technically more successful than Jim Morrison
  • Once had a ro-body that gave him Kool-Aid Man powers:

• Did not think things through completely before practicing this party trick
  • Probably the most versatile teleportation person/device in the Marvel universe
  • Qualifies for rating as a MODOK:

MODOK LEVEL: 0.6 tarletons
    CREEPY -3 ◽◽⬛🔸◾◾◾ +3 COMEDIC
    -1: MILDLY CREEPY
  • Ride-or-die bros with Lockjaw
  • For real needs to make out with Hub, like on Easter Island maybe

e: aaaauuuugh code block not liking emoji

Squizzle fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jun 11, 2016

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I read both Inhumans books up through the arc where Crystal was in not-North-Korea then I wondered why I was spending money on books I didn't even like a little bit. I always forget Ms Marvel is an Inhuman because I guess Terrigenesis granted her the ability to actually be a compelling character. The blind dude with the cool dog should get a solo series 'cause I like him too but not enough to read a book mostly about Crystal and/or Medusa.
e: of course, the X-Books aren't that much better in my opinion but I'm reading most of them mostly out of inertia. If the Inhumans had the same sort of history for me, I probably wouldn't have dropped them. I acknowledge this.

Diet Poison fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jun 11, 2016

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Diet Poison posted:

I read both Inhumans books up through the arc where Crystal was in not-North-Korea then I wondered why I was spending money on books I didn't even like a little bit. I always forget Ms Marvel is an Inhuman because I guess Terrigenesis granted her the ability to actually be a compelling character. The blind dude with the cool dog should get a solo series 'cause I like him too but not enough to read a book mostly about Crystal and/or Medusa.
e: of course, the X-Books aren't that much better in my opinion but I'm reading most of them mostly out of inertia. If the Inhumans had the same sort of history for me, I probably wouldn't have dropped them. I acknowledge this.

Reader is a great character who was ruined by the writers' misconception that the readers give the slightest poo poo about Johnny Storm's affair with Crystal/Medusa over him.

SilverSupernova fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jun 11, 2016

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
So what would you guys consider your personal must read marvel runs/arcs? Trying to expand my awareness.

Off the top of my head:

Runs:
1. Ennis: The Punisher Marvel Knights and especially The Punisher MAX is probably favorite run on any comic book ever.
2. Bendis: Daredevil - I love this Daredevil, conflicted, shades of gray and makes things interesting by upending the status quo.
3. Bendis: Ultimate Spider-Man - for me this is the quintessential young Spider-man, took me back and made me feel like an awkward teenager again, some really great humor.
4. Exiles vol. 1 - great gem that deserves more attention, fantastic job of mining alternate realities for interesting characters/story lines. Hyperion is a monster.
5. Brian K. Vaughn: Runaways - Disaffected millennials discover their parents are west coast super-villains, cool story.
6. Dark Reign era Thunderbolts and Dark Avengers - Osborn is such a magnificent nutjob and it's great seeing rear end in a top hat villains being unrepentant scumbags.

Arcs, storylines, etc:
1. Road to Civil War (Avengers Disassembled, House of M, Decimation, The 198, Nick Fury's Secret War), Civil War, WWH, Dark Reign, Road to AvX (Messiah War, Cable Vol. 2, Second Coming), AvX were some of the big events and story lines that drew me away from DC and got me reading Marvel. They weren't all perfect but I really like to see heroes struggling with morally complex decisions and shades of gray.
2. I love The Illuminati, New Avengers Illuminati Vol. 1 #1 is my favorite single issue comic ever. The Colliding Worlds/Incursion/Time Runs Out storyline is fantastic. The Illuminati vs The Hood is also good.
3. Fantastic Four: The Bridge/Solve Everything/Council of Reeds - I love seeing Reed get all scientific and actually try to solve the worlds problems. The speech he gives in #579 before he forms the Future Foundation is one of my favorite.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jun 12, 2016

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

DrProsek posted:

The Inhumans ... have terrible team books

YOU have terrible team books!

-Blackadder- posted:

So what would you guys consider your personal must read marvel runs/arcs? Trying to expand my awareness.

Remender's Uncanny X-Force
Fraction's Hawkeye
Fraction and Allred's FF (not F4) after the Hickman stuff you've read
Waid's Daredevil
Aaron's Thor God of Thunder to Mighty Thor
Soule's She-Hulk and Inhumans comics
King's Vision

I really liked Marvel NOW!

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jun 12, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

-Blackadder- posted:

Off the top of my head:

Runs:
1. Ennis: The Punisher Marvel Knights and especially The Punisher MAX is probably favorite run on any comic book ever.
2. Bendis: Daredevil - I love this Daredevil, conflicted, shades of gray and makes things interesting by upending the status quo.
3. Bendis: Ultimate Spider-Man - for me this is the quintessential young Spider-man, took me back and made me feel like an awkward teenager again, some really great humor.
4. Exiles vol. 1 - great gem that deserves more attention, fantastic job of mining alternate realities for interesting characters/story lines. Hyperion is a monster.
5. Brian K. Vaughn: Runaways - Disaffected millennials discover their parents are west coast super-villains, cool story.
6. Dark Reign era Thunderbolts and Dark Avengers - Osborn is such a magnificent nutjob and it's great seeing rear end in a top hat villains being unrepentant scumbags.

Arcs, storylines, etc:
1. Road to Civil War (Avengers Disassembled, House of M, Decimation, The 198, Nick Fury's Secret War), Civil War, WWH, Dark Reign, Road to AvX (Messiah War, Cable Vol. 2, Second Coming), AvX were some of the big events and story lines that drew me away from DC and got me reading Marvel. They weren't all perfect but I really like to see heroes struggling with morally complex decisions and shades of gray.
2. I love The Illuminati, New Avengers Illuminati Vol. 1 #1 is my favorite single issue comic ever. The Colliding Worlds/Incursion/Time Runs Out storyline is fantastic. The Illuminati vs The Hood is also good.
3. Fantastic Four: The Bridge/Solve Everything/Council of Reeds - I love seeing Reed get all scientific and actually try to solve the worlds problems. The speech he gives in #579 before he forms the Future Foundation is one of my favorite.

So did you never read a comic published before 2005 or something?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
* The first 20 issues or so of the 1980s New Mutants, going up to the Demon Bear stories
* The original '70s "Death of Gwen Stacy" story, since it's one of the nails in the Silver Age's coffin
* The Dark Phoenix Saga
* The "Lifedeath" stories in Uncanny X-Men
* Chris Claremont's run on Excalibur
* The original Secret Wars, just for fun, and because it's had an oddly wide-ranging impact on what came after it (ends the Kitty/Peter relationship for a good twenty-five years afterward, introduces the black suit for Spider-Man, introduces Titania, etc.)
* Doug Moench's Moon Knight, which led directly to Ellis and Shalvey's run thirty years later
* Walter Simonson on Thor, pretty much all the way through
* Peter Parker, the Spectacular Spider-Man #178-200, with DeMatteis and Sal Buscema; it's a bit of a forgotten arc for some reason, but it's great comics
* Kurt Busiek and Fabian Nicieza on the original Thunderbolts. It gets very 1990s right after Busiek leaves and doesn't find its feet for a while, but once it does, it's a really good book up until Nicieza leaves
* Christopher Priest's Black Panther, which reinvents the character and adds a good dozen things that are now standards for all later stories, although it's unnecessarily convoluted

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Teenage Fansub posted:

YOU have terrible team books!

:colbert: I'm sorry I had to be the one to break this to you, but it was time somebody told you the truth.

(ANI just did not sell me on any of the Nuhumans and I wasn't that interested in Crystal. UNI did better but it felt like the three first arcs just feel so disconnected and ever time I started to get into an arc the book suddenly ended that arc and began a radically different one)

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I really liked Naja. And Dante wasn't too bad. I am super cheap and stopped reading before Secret Wars though, because the only books I buy issue to issue are Thor and Ms. Marvel.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I kind of miss Carmilla Black, the new Scorpion. I was rereading her debut arc today for some reason, and I thought she was cool, especially with the later ambiguity about whether or not she was Bruce Banner's kid.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

-Blackadder- posted:

Lee's Amazing Spider-Man Run #1-118 plus 4 more for Gwen Stacey Death to end at #122
Stan Lee and Jack Kirby’s Fantastic Four run of Fantastic Four #1-102, Fantastic Four Annual #1-6

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

They need to bring back the better fire based inhuman, Haechi

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I liked how Inhuman went from focusing on Dante to ignoring him within, like six issues.

I don't remember his name, but that gumshoe Inhuman guy is Marvel's best character.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I would say Gillen's Young Loki run that runs through Siege, a couple of issues of New Mutants, Thor, Mighty Thor, Fear Itself, Journey into Mystery, and then through the Manchester Gods and Everything Burns arcs until the end of Journey into Mystery which then continues on through Gillen's YA run and finally concluding with Ewing's Loki: AoA run (with a quick break for the Original Sin: Thor and Loki mini sometime in the middle of Loki: AoA) is possibly the single most convoluted series of comic books I've ever read (it crisscrosses through six different ongoing series and sections of two different events and jumps writers about 3/4 of the way through) that's also the most fulfilling. I would say at this point Loki is my favorite Marvel character ever and it's because of the work Ewing and Gillen - mostly the latter, although the Loki AoA run is a stone-cold classic with an incredible finale - did to make him a layered anti/hero. It's an incredible run. It's also a run that more than any I've read basically requires a reading order because, well, jesus christ is it loving complicated as poo poo.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jun 12, 2016

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Toxxupation posted:

I would say Gillen's Young Loki run that runs through Siege, a couple of issues of New Mutants, Thor, Mighty Thor, Fear Itself, Journey into Mystery, and then through the Manchester Gods and Everything Burns arcs until the end of Journey into Mystery which then continues on through Gillen's YA run and finally concluding with Ewing's Loki: AoA run (with a quick break for the Original Sin: Thor and Loki mini sometime in the middle of Loki: AoA) is possibly the single most convoluted series of comic books I've ever read (it crisscrosses through six different ongoing series and sections of two different events and jumps writers about 3/4 of the way through) that's also the most fulfilling. I would say at this point Loki is my favorite Marvel character ever and it's because of the work Ewing and Gillen - mostly the latter, although the Loki AoA run is a stone-cold classic with an incredible finale - did to make him a layered anti/hero. It's an incredible run. It's also a run that more than any I've read basically requires a reading order because, well, jesus christ is it loving complicated as poo poo.

My wife loves YA and has been staring down the barrel of this looking for more Young Loki poo poo, any chance you have a reading order to use? We have MU.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'd say Claremont's X-men until at least Mutant Massacre, but feel free to keep going to Inferno, though I think Inferno is the start of the decline of Claremont's X-men, though its still such a peak the quality isn't that noticeable decline.

New Mutants I'd say go until after Fall of the Mutants so you can at least get the experiance of Doug's death. Though I honestly feel that of the 3 stories involved in Fall of the Mutants, it's the weakest, but then I hate Doctor Moreau adaptions.

Miller's Daredevil gets tons of praise, but I like Nacinti's run almost as much, and I actually like Typhoid Mary in all her 80s glory actually better than Elektra.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

JoshTheStampede posted:

My wife loves YA and has been staring down the barrel of this looking for more Young Loki poo poo, any chance you have a reading order to use? We have MU.

Yeah, it's insanely complicated though.

Okay first you basically have to provide the context to your wife about both Siege and Fear Itself as events. They're both...not...great events (Siege is okay, but Fear Itself is Not Good) but they have issues written by Gillen and stuff Loki does in them that's internal-arc crucial, especially the latter event.

Siege: Loki
Siege 4
New Mutants 11
Thor 611-614
Thor 12 (JMS run)
Thor 615-621
Mighty Thor (2011) 1-6
Journey into Mystery 622, 626.1, 623
Fear Itself 2-3
Journey into Mystery 624-630
Fear Itself 7, 7.2
Mighty Thor 7
Shattered Heroes Event
Journey into Mystery 631-636 and Mighty Thor 8-12, 12.1 alternating every issue starting with JiM 631 and ending with JiM 636. So, JiM 631 then Mighty Thor 8 then JiM 632 etc.
Exiled Event
Exiled 1
Journey into Mystery 637-638 and New Mutants 42-43 alternating every issue starting with JiM 637 and ending with New Mutants 43
Journey into Mystery 639-641
Everything Burns Event
Mighty Thor 18-21 and JiM 642-645, alternating every issue starting with Mighty Thor 18 and ending with JiM 645
Young Avengers 1-15. If it's been a while since your wife has read Gillen's run on this she should reread it because the next run is a direct sequel to it.
Loki: Agent of Asgard 1-5
Original Sin: Thor and Loki 1-5
Loki: Agent of Asgard 6-17

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Essential runs / arcs that have not been mentioned yet:

Fantastic Four by Walter Simonson (all of it - the second-best FF run after Lee/Kirby)

New Warriors by Fabian Nicieza / Mark Bagley / Darick Robertson

Hulk by Peter David (up as far as the Onslaught crossover)

Avengers by Roger Stern up as far as "Assault on Olympus"

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Teenage Fansub posted:

I liked how Inhuman went from focusing on Dante to ignoring him within, like six issues.

I don't remember his name, but that gumshoe Inhuman guy is Marvel's best character.

Frank McGee.

Frank McGee and Reader teaming up to solve a mystery was great. I really wish they'd focus more on them instead of Torch and Medusa.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
I'm in the minority but I didn't enjoy Bendis's Daredevil run. I understand it was iconic for the time but there's just so many speech bubbles that I can't see Maleev's art which means half the story is obscured.

Brubaker flows at a much quicker and savage pace, I like his run a lot more. Nocenti is the top of the DD crop for me though, it's actually about Hell's Kitchen instead of :smuggo: ninjas :smuggo:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Codependent Poster posted:

Frank McGee and Reader teaming up to solve a mystery was great. I really wish they'd focus more on them instead of Torch and Medusa.

That's only really been this last two issue arc. It's on to a Reader story next week.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I'll put Morrison's New X-Men and Whedon's Astonishing X-Men up for consideration. Whedon walks back a lot of Morrison's work, but looked at together, really give a great picture of what makes the X-Men such an endearing property.

Brubaker's first 25 issues of Captain America are pretty iconic.

And if you only read one Marvel event book, Hickman's Secret Wars is easily my top pick.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Codependent Poster posted:

Frank McGee.

Haha poo poo, what issue is this? Friggin' love Frank McGee as well. His introduction, at least. I dunno if I ever read anything good with him but I liked the conceit that he was a hard-boiled type who didn't really want to be involved in all this spandex poo poo but gently caress it, it's where he ended up.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It was in the arc with Black Bolt's club. Uncanny Inhumans #5-7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Die Laughing posted:

And if you only read one Marvel event book, Hickman's Secret Wars is easily my top pick.

If you only read one Marvel event book Secret Wars 2015 will make literally no goddamn sense and have no impact whatsoever. The only way it works is as the finale to a story six years or whenever it was Hickman started on FF in the making.

I'm trying to think of the best event to read in the case of "only read one Marvel event by itself with no further context than that" and it'd be...maybe Dark Reign? For all its massive loving problems, Civil War just because the story's setup works within the event itself?

• Locked thread