Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Danaru posted:

Yep, as "zombie bait". Not to mention the first game had almost every woman character in the game have rape involved in their storyline in one way or another.

Techland is awful.

Yeah, as fun as I found the game though, this poo poo and their internal politics are garbage. Does Dying Light have any of those overtones? I think that ones also has a story. Is it presented as poorly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Kokoro Wish posted:

Yeah, as fun as I found the game though, this poo poo and their internal politics are garbage. Does Dying Light have any of those overtones? I think that ones also has a story. Is it presented as poorly?
Nope. The writing for the main game is just your bog standard AAA action game stuff but the sidequests have some decent funny writing at times.

It definitely isn't tryhard like Dead Island and its actually fun. It's also more of a horror game in the beginning when it comes to dealing with the super zombies at night. (Though you do get to a point when you can just kill them.)

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Kokoro Wish posted:

I really don't know what people were expecting,

A deep and heart wrenching exploration of human tragedy and sudden violence?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Accordion Man posted:

Nope. The writing for the main game is just your bog standard AAA action game stuff but the sidequests have some decent funny writing at times.

It definitely isn't tryhard like Dead Island and its actually fun. It's also more of a horror game in the beginning when it comes to dealing with the super zombies at night. (Though you do get to a point when you can just kill them.)

also you can dropkick them from very high places

a good zombie game

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Yeah, Dying Light can basically be broken into two parts: Pre Grappling-hook and Post Grappling-hook.

Both have their merits and are fun to play.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

A.o.D. posted:

A deep and heart wrenching exploration of human tragedy and sudden violence?

Yeah, not gonna lie I was really hyped. It could have worked so well too. At least they put the couple in the game.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Just a heads up: Siren: Blood Curse (complete, all 12 episodes) is free on PS3 for PS Plus subscribers this month.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Silhouette posted:

Just a heads up: Siren: Blood Curse (complete, all 12 episodes) is free on PS3 for PS Plus subscribers this month.

Time to finally plug in my replacement controller I guess.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Also I wanted to like Until Dawn's Totem mechanic but it felt sloppy. I didn't find half of them even though it felt like I explored a lot, and a lot of them don't even really match the theme they're filed under. I dunno.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I was going down a youtube rabbit hole of old 90s games and discovered a Resident Evil clone for the Saturn called Deep Fear. Somehow I've never heard of it before but apparently it was only released in Japan and Europe. I post it here because the cut scnes are loving amazing. Possibly the most unintentinally hilarious game ive ever seen.

http://youtu.be/wKu5o__UKI4

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Basticle posted:

I was going down a youtube rabbit hole of old 90s games and discovered a Resident Evil clone for the Saturn called Deep Fear. Somehow I've never heard of it before but apparently it was only released in Japan and Europe. I post it here because the cut scnes are loving amazing. Possibly the most unintentinally hilarious game ive ever seen.

http://youtu.be/wKu5o__UKI4

Our very own slowbeef and Diabetus LP'd it on the retsupurae channel as well, stuff's fantastic.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Kokoro Wish posted:

Friends and I had a great time playing the first Dead Island, but it is not a horror game, it's a fun exploration action game with RPG elements. I really don't know what people were expecting, but I got what I was expecting and it was fun times with glowing, flaming machetes and electric sledgehammers.

did you ever watch the trailer.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
The first few hours of Dead Island were exciting, but of course there's nothing there to support 40 hours or how ungodly long that campaign was, once you knew all there was to do and seen all monsters it became pretty routine, not to mention unscary.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Dead Island was a proof of concept but they managed to later on make an actual good game with Dying Light.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

voltcatfish posted:

Also I wanted to like Until Dawn's Totem mechanic but it felt sloppy. I didn't find half of them even though it felt like I explored a lot, and a lot of them don't even really match the theme they're filed under. I dunno.

lol I'd totally forgotten about the totems and yeah they were mostly useless and just there to give you another thing to collect.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I don't think they were entirely useless. I vaguely recall the death ones telling you important clues like waiting out the deer herd or jumping off the first thresher conveyor belt.

e: I'd say they're bad in giving you hints, like they're ironic in hindsight because you have no context for what they mean yet. Once you've played the scene the totems show you a possible alternate take.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

al-azad posted:

I don't think they were entirely useless. I vaguely recall the death ones telling you important clues like waiting out the deer herd or jumping off the first thresher conveyor belt.

e: I'd say they're bad in giving you hints, like they're ironic in hindsight because you have no context for what they mean yet. Once you've played the scene the totems show you a possible alternate take.

The totems are kind of neat but are generally either so vague that they are useless or showing you a possible outcome of a split second decision that you have to make five hours from then. Like the "you can befriend the dog" one, where the "choice" was not following the OH GOD MONSTER DOG KILL action keys. The only totem that I found legitimately helpful was the "don't fight the deer" one

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Dead Island was ok, but Dying Light blew it out of the water. I think the part of Dead Island I enjoyed most was also the whole of Dying Light - namely, when you get to the town/city/whatever you want to call it and suddenly you add in vertical exploration. It may sound crazy, but even though rooftop travel is technically safer in combat aside from human enemies/the few slow zombies walking/the fast climbing zombies, it's still a nice kind of tense. The knowledge that vast masses of enemies wait below, the fear of falling, the instances where you have to make a mad dash at ground level across a gap too far to jump across.

Rumor has it we'll see Evil Within 2 at E3. I thought Evil Within 1 was a fun enough game, so interested in hearing more about that.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

Pyrolocutus posted:

Rumor has it we'll see Evil Within 2 at E3. I thought Evil Within 1 was a fun enough game, so interested in hearing more about that.

Wonder what the story of EW2 would be this time? I really liked the gameplay of EW so this is really good news.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

DreamShipWrecked posted:

The totems are kind of neat but are generally either so vague that they are useless or showing you a possible outcome of a split second decision that you have to make five hours from then. Like the "you can befriend the dog" one, where the "choice" was not following the OH GOD MONSTER DOG KILL action keys. The only totem that I found legitimately helpful was the "don't fight the deer" one

I got some use out of the "Mike decides not to fire a gun" one on my first playthrough.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

DropsySufferer posted:

Wonder what the story of EW2 would be this time? I really liked the gameplay of EW so this is really good news.

Maybe it'll have an ending that actually loving makes sense?

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Looking for a new narrative horror game after oxenfree. poo poo was dope

al-azad
May 28, 2009

For a free game this looks neat and lessens the sting of Allison Road. It also makes me crave some kind of horror game jam, like the Guild series on Nintendo 3DS combines a bunch of veterans small ideas there should be some kind of Creepshow video game where it's well crafted 1-2 hour experiences.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

Looking for a new narrative horror game after oxenfree. poo poo was dope
If you don't have an aversion to RPG maker games, then I'd recommend Stray Cat Crossing: http://store.steampowered.com/app/385330/. Or if you in the mood for a slightly political, darkly comical game: http://store.steampowered.com/app/395170/. Or there is also The Count Lucanor: http://store.steampowered.com/app/440880/. I felt all those are fairly well done, reasonably priced narrative horror outings.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Someone found a trophy list for Forbidden Siren so it looks like that's going to be the next PS2 on PS4 game.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Sakurazuka posted:

Someone found a trophy list for Forbidden Siren so it looks like that's going to be the next PS2 on PS4 game.

i am extremely down for this, i need another playthrough

sorry if its been posted already but guess what else is coming:

http://www.callofcthulhu-game.com/

i unironically loved dark corners of the earth, even with its many bugs and crashes, so i am extremely hyped for this game

boy are my arms tired fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jun 11, 2016

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Niggurath posted:

If you don't have an aversion to RPG maker games, then I'd recommend Stray Cat Crossing: http://store.steampowered.com/app/385330/. Or if you in the mood for a slightly political, darkly comical game: http://store.steampowered.com/app/395170/. Or there is also The Count Lucanor: http://store.steampowered.com/app/440880/. I felt all those are fairly well done, reasonably priced narrative horror outings.

sweeeeeeeet

I'll do each one.

Rafza posted:

i unironically loved dark corners of the earth,

:getout:

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

no, wormass, i will not

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Dark Corners of the Earth had some good parts that were unfortunately weighed down by a lot of really bad parts.

Not sure how I feel about a call of cthulhu game by the people who make blood bowl though.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

al-azad posted:

Dead Island was alright as first person Diablo but coming from that trailer it's safe to say people expected walking dead and not Borderlands.

I think people also expected a game that wasn't incredible broken

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I'd recommend against Stray Cat Crossing, its atmosphere is neat, but its puzzles are among the most purposely tedious poo poo I've seen in a modern adventure game. It's fricking boring.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
This looks cool.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eprVKIH4Xxs
That logo at the end is really neat.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Accordion Man posted:

I'd recommend against Stray Cat Crossing, its atmosphere is neat, but its puzzles are among the most purposely tedious poo poo I've seen in a modern adventure game. It's fricking boring.

I know where you're coming from, but I strongly disagree. For me, the characters and the presentation were solid enough that I didn't mind the puzzles at all. The final sequence can get tedious but it's on purpose... that doesn't make it any less tedious, but once I understood it I liked it a lot more.

The Count Lucanor is also very good, and features both some clever puzzles and some pretty creepy sections.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Silhouette posted:

Maybe it'll have an ending that actually loving makes sense?

I really don't think there's anything else to the ending other than you surviving and the bad guy getting a new body to mess around with in the real world.

It's pretty much an ideal setup for a sequel if Ruvik returns.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Rafza posted:

no, wormass, i will not

0 rows returned posted:

Not sure how I feel about a call of cthulhu game by the people who make blood bowl

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

VoidBurger posted:

This looks cool.

That does look pretty neat but I worry a bit about the trenches railroading you a bit too much, in the sense of "there's a monster but only one way to go, so I guess just sit here and wait until it is programmed to eventually move away"

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

VoidBurger posted:

This looks cool.

Oh wow. Someone turned the World War I Hell level from The Darkness into an entire game!

The giant monster appearing to pray was interesting.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

VoidBurger posted:

This looks cool.

I'm reminded of that free game where you're in the trenches being chased by velociraptors.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Deep fear is seriously probably the best resident evil clone and I have to say maybe one of the top ten games you should play on the Saturn.

I live streamed playing the entire game for an irc chat of goons during a summer I was unemployed. Great stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Dark Corners of the Earth was really solid until you got guns.