Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

XK posted:

I don't think the whales can provide enough to keep this operating as an ongoing concern. Based on what Frontier is paying out, a seemingly well run studio, not spread across the globe with a dozen or so studios, not doing useless mocap with celebrities, at 3,000,000 per month, I can't see how they are below 4-5 million per month. The suspicious funding tracker is dropping them well below that. Even if we are generous, and say they are only burning 3 million per month, their clock is ticking.

I think Chris Roberts will burn out the last dollar on a boat somewhere, and Ben will show up to work wondering why the doors are locked and the lights are off.

Oh the clock is definitely ticking, but I very much doubt anyone at CIG will be honest enough to stop before the last dollar is spent. They're going to keep spending until they literally can not spend any more. After all, the backers will never know.

edit: catte.

Slow_Moe fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jun 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe
I think telling anyone that the game crashed will get you banned, because it makes them look bad and that's against the ToS.

I made that up, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was true.

HoneyBakedMAN
Oct 26, 2007
Sliced for babewiches

Anybody play Overwatch on ps4? I don't have a decent pc and wonder if it's decent on console.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Skellybones posted:

What worries me is how it took over a week after expiry for them to update the TOS despite it looming for the past six months. Did Croberts veto any attempts to write a new TOS until they finally convinced him that Star Citizen hadn't already gone gold and been launched worldwide?

No they did it because it was the end of the day right on Friday right before E3. As it happens they lucked out incredibly with Gawker (Kotaku's parent company) declaring bankruptcy over the Hulk Hogan backed by Facebook found money trial on the same day. Friday evening before E3 nearly every single games journalist would have left the office and checked out from twitter/news while getting ready packing and having a last night in town with loved ones.

The Gawker / Kotaku / Hulk Hogan story is perfect because that can take up most of the drama space that's left in anticipation of news. Right now there is so little games journalist time and so many leaks that SC wouldn't even rate attention short of CR on stream doing coke saying "gently caress the backers".

CIG played it perfect and got lucky with Kotaku. I'm suprised they didn't wait a couple of more weeks until the Paypal end of June deadline to pull this poo poo but this is probably just as well. They can slow walk all US based refund requests for the next 3 weeks then promptly ignore them forever.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Beet Wagon posted:

It's really tough trying to decide whether to respond to this with a picture of a fart, a picture of kayak, or a picture of legman.

A picture of Kayak farting on Legman?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Ponzi posted:

I think telling anyone that the game crashed will get you banned, because it makes them look bad and that's against the ToS.

I made that up, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was true.

Funny thing: you're not making it up.
At least not from a certain point of view.

TerraGoetia
Feb 21, 2011

A cup of spiders.
A CERTAIN point of VIEW?

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

CIG really couldn't have waited for a better time to drop this. Anyone who covers games is currently en route to LA so even if someone thought about covering it they wouldn't be able to for about a week when E3 news ends and by then it'll be relatively old news.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Streetroller posted:

So up until about 2 hours ago when I read the new ToS I was supporting Star Citizen.

First of all let me give you our official welcome. Some of us were among the original whales, many more have joined our ranks ever since. We welcome all.

quote:

Truth be told, I'm not a Derek fan... and I have a significant investment in Star Citizen...
Derek Smart is a red herring, many of us were critical of CIG before DS ever got involved. And he may not be an easily likable person but that's besides the point, even assholes can be right.

quote:

But with all the recent events of finding out I'm being labeled, the plagiarism, this new ToS made me genuinely angry.
I don't believe that the ToS is legal, because it's worded as a "Contract" with the new indefinite clause in it.

That's a perpetuity contract, I'm pretty sure... and not legal here in the States.
Anyone know a good lawyer?
You should go though the motions of asking for a refund but unless you're in the EU or Australia you're going to get no help from your national legislation. Your only recourse is probably to try a chargeback, and quick if you used PayPal.

My question to you is... how are things inside the whalepod at the moment? How intrusive is the stuff we bring up on a daily basis? What perception do you have of us? What do "you people" think motivates us?

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Tippis posted:

I'm not sure he remains in the pool of the faithful.

I don't know if it'll ever come out. I've been so busy at my new job that I haven't been paying attention. Today I'm setting up a new IKEv2 auth/tunnel for VPN access.

Hope everyone is doing well, cattes are still being posted and such.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

XK posted:

I'm interested on the bets of whether they are going to have a slow collapse, or an instant implosion where the employees get locked out and their paychecks bounce. I'm leaning toward the instant implosion scenario.

Waves of metronomic explosions over the next 6 - 9 months that reduce them from presumptive King of the Space Game Market to a Beggar Prince in exile.

External impacts include the overdue turn of the Gaming Press, the stealing of mind and marketshare by AAA competitors, possible backer lawsuits, etc.

Internal impacts include more high profile departures, massive reduction in headcount to reduce cash burn, continued difficulties overcoming the myriad limitations of StarEngine, etc.

CIG has stubbornly refused to diversify their income streams and remains hopelessly addicted to spacepixel concept sales as their lifeblood. This worked fantastically in the early years yet they just can't hit those same highs anymore, yet now the true price of their epic binges is coming due.

Put differently...

Chris and Sandi led hundreds of thousands through the Wilderness, coaxing fortunes from them along the way with tales of The Promised Land ahead. Such wonderous takes-- a land flowing with milk and honey, always right around the next bend!

Yet now they stand before an unclimbable mountain of engineering debt. They lack the skills and tools to conquer it. Their only choice is to call the land where they now stand the new Promised Land. There's no milk, there's no honey. The only thing they have to eat are bugs-- so many bugs!

Those who can live with that will stick around, I guess. But most will just take a $60 helicopter ride out to someone else's Promised Land. And they'll get there.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

ManofManyAliases posted:

I'm being 100% sincere. The new ToS is the most solid they have put forth yet. It's not ambiguous and really shouldn't negatively affect 99% of backers.

Really? Telling them you get what we give you, not what you may have paid pledged for, based on our promises? How does that NOT affect everyone?

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.
Has moma been on trying to defend the new CIG tos that says ' you can all get hosed we have your money ' ?

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster
Release a major game update on a friday thats broken. Cool beans. Gotta make sure we drop the bad news TOS on a weekend during e3

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Jobbo_Fett posted:

The TOS you agreed to when making purchases are expired, you still haven't received the final product so you should be able to get a refund.

In any case, be careful with your posting. CIG monitors this thread (:wave: Hi CIG!)

:siren: THIS IS NOT HIPERBOLE :siren:

CIG is monitoring this thread and trying to connect accounts here to their CIG counterparts. Be careful what you post if you wish to remain anonymous to them.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

EightAce posted:

Has moma been on trying to defend the new CIG tos that says ' you can all get hosed we have your money ' ?

Of course. It's the best ToS ever.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Dante80 posted:

Oh noes!

There goes the Sandi theory. Or maybe that's what She wants us to think...

h3isenbug
Jun 5, 2016

Right Meow!
I wonder if at some point they will have the balls to admit that CryEngine 3 is outdated, has never been a good fit and that they broke it beyond repair. One goal was to get the most out of modern PC gaming hardware which is hardly possible with a CryEngine 3 based game anymore. They left scorched earth with CryTek, but now with CryEngine 5 being available with full source code and pretty much no strings attached maybe that would be an option? It probably wouldn't be a better fit for the game they are trying to make, but hey - the fidelity!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

EightAce posted:

How'd you guess?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

peter gabriel posted:

Yeah the game is straight up broken now, it's totally hosed ha ha
Does everyone having to wait for ship spawn mean everyone is on the landing pad stealing the first chariot that pops in?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Streetroller posted:

Bear in mind, $3k was dropped over the course of 3/4 years, including subscriptions and buying various ships.
I was expecting a fulled supported VR interface, to be honest.

Before anyone tells me how much of an idiot I was or that I should have known, etc. I was always under the impression that SQ42 would release this year.
It was in their original tos, on their trailers, etc...

I've never logged into the game once, because I was not ever interested in testing the Alpha. It wouldn't have even been possible because I need to be able to key rebind to play games.
I have a disability that has progressively made it more difficult to game over the years, and I was excited about the idea of using Oculus to play (It was advertised as being accessible day 1)
I was extremely disappointed to hear that they essentially dropped it, but even that wasn't enough to put me off. I understand things take time.

I still would be backing if I hadn't read the tos changes on Reddit. Anyone with some basic law-crafting will know how absolutely shocking it is.

I've never paid much attention to Derek, he's too abrasive for me. My "descent" originally began when Chris wrote that awful letter to Escapist..
Finding out concierge was being labeled with inflammatory names, the blatant plagiarism...

Derek did none of those things. That was all CIG.

Ok so you cite CRs letter to The Escapist, the Zendesk tagging, the plagiarism and the new TOS as reasons you're getting out and assert that Derek did none of those things.

Here is the first line of the escapist letter:

I have, to date, attempted to stay above the internet drama currently surrounding Derek Smart and his claims about Star Citizen.

The ZenDesk tagging was discovered by someone on the /r/starcitizen_trades Reddit. If this thread hadn't picked it up, run with it, screenshotted it and ran it into the ground with Dereks assistance it would never have left that comment thread. We were watching the ZenDesk site get updated live with our feedback in this thread.

The plagiarism is the same. Some of it was noticed two years ago on the RSI forums and nothing happened. As soon as Derek and the filthy Goons (:argh:) got hold of it it became an issue and the art was pulled in hours.

The new TOS is a direct reaction to Derek shouting from the rooftops about the clauses in the old TOS requiring them to give refunds and financial accountability.

"Derek did none of those things. That was all CIG."

Fair enough you've come to your senses and are now trying to get a refund, it might be too late - but it is loving lovely to not give Derek his due here. If it wasn't for him you wouldn't even be considering a refund and may have poured more money in.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

cynic posted:

Not reading 1,000 more posts is MoMA still insisting the game will come out and will be great but even if its ONLY GOOD he doesn't actually care?

I think I speak for all experienced developers here that we love following this project because if you've been coding for long enough, you've probably encountered this exact type of project and you know how it ends up;

Money runs out/over budget because the product owner or whoever didn't have clearly enough defined goals or changed them continually through the project. Self proclaimed 'visionary' guys are the absolute worst.
Blame shifting and major meltdown starts.
Blame shifting and meltdowns continue and increase until either a) everyone capable of finishing the project leaves and the entire thing dies with nothing to show b) someone forces a completely laughable product out the door

I've been in the exact situation this project is (even down to a Sandi type on the scene) so many times, and I really, really want to see how it works when hundreds of millions of dollars and a few thousand obsessive nerds are involved.

Nailed it, totally agree :getin:

Part of the reason I'm so involved in this trainwreck is I've been there on the inside, and I always leave before the poo poo really hits the fan and the awful, awful leadership gets their comeuppance. I can't wait until Chris Robberts sends his apology letter to the fans.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

SelenicMartian posted:

Does everyone having to wait for ship spawn mean everyone is on the landing pad stealing the first chariot that pops in?

Not been able to play at all since the update so far

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Chris and Sandi worked for free, using their independent wealth to live off of this entire time, because it would leave more money for development and they will profit a great deal once 100 million copies of Squadron 42 are sold and can take a wage then.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Ponzi posted:

It's a running joke here to accuse someone of being Derek Smart, and was meant as much :)

We can easily recognise posts made by the real Derek Smart because it's impossible to get a word in edgeways.

You know, if you would just LET HIM loving FINISH, there'd be no problems.

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe

Tippis posted:

Funny thing: you're not making it up.
At least not from a certain point of view.

I'm not surprised.

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe

MeLKoR posted:

There goes the Sandi theory. Or maybe that's what She wants us to think...

Can someone check her posting history in the SC forum to see if there's anything that caused her to get a ban? If nothing can be found, then you may be onto something.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Tippis posted:

So the ToS is kind of like the Lament Configuration: a puzzle that summons pinheads?

It's ok. We forgive you. Although you may be in breach of the EULA for having a cat avatar as a blatant attempt at avoiding the page snipe tax, and for this, there will of course be some kind of stimperial reckoning.

<shakes his head at the mangling of the old school genesis of Stimperialism>

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Loiosh posted:

I don't know if it'll ever come out. I've been so busy at my new job that I haven't been paying attention. Today I'm setting up a new IKEv2 auth/tunnel for VPN access.

Well, you are still alive and well, so that's good.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

I Greyhound posted:

A sizable number of goons bought in for similar amounts of money when this was new. Then later had the same realization you did. Welcome.

For a long time, the Star Citizen goons were full believers, had spreadsheets of how much money they had spent, and were the subject of mockery, derision, and scorn from other groups on the forums. I didn't really start following this on a consistent basis until towards the end of last year, but it's been neat to see them all slowly come around. :allears:

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE

TTerrible posted:

Ok so you cite CRs letter to The Escapist, the Zendesk tagging, the plagiarism and the new TOS as reasons you're getting out and assert that Derek did none of those things.

Here is the first line of the escapist letter:

I have, to date, attempted to stay above the internet drama currently surrounding Derek Smart and his claims about Star Citizen.

The ZenDesk tagging was discovered by someone on the /r/starcitizen_trades Reddit. If this thread hadn't picked it up, run with it, screenshotted it and ran it into the ground with Dereks assistance it would never have left that comment thread. We were watching the ZenDesk site get updated live with our feedback in this thread.

The plagiarism is the same. Some of it was noticed two years ago on the RSI forums and nothing happened. As soon as Derek and the filthy Goons (:argh:) got hold of it it became an issue and the art was pulled in hours.

The new TOS is a direct reaction to Derek shouting from the rooftops about the clauses in the old TOS requiring them to give refunds and financial accountability.

"Derek did none of those things. That was all CIG."

Fair enough you've come to your senses and are now trying to get a refund, it might be too late - but it is loving lovely to not give Derek his due here. If it wasn't for him you wouldn't even be considering a refund and may have poured more money in.

I read that as him saying that those were CIG's gently caress ups, that Derek didn't cause them. As in, CIG has no one to blame but themselves. I could be overly optimistic.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Someone go through the first thread and repost all of the shameful goon posts.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

lmao major gaming news sites don't pick up on this stuff. if you're reading this you should be ashamed of yourself and go find a real job

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jun 11, 2016

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Ponzi posted:

Can someone check her posting history in the SC forum to see if there's anything that caused her to get a ban? If nothing can be found, then you may be onto something.

You can tell she's not Sandi because she sticks to the script and Sandi always manages to bring up some of her amazing qualities into whatever is being discussed.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Palisader posted:

I read that as him saying that those were CIG's gently caress ups, that Derek didn't cause them. As in, CIG has no one to blame but themselves. I could be overly optimistic.

Possible, but unlikely. If that is it then I'll apologise but I feel like we're entering the realm of "gently caress Derek Smart but.. anyone got a link to his blog about how to get a refund?" and that is lovely.

Streetroller
Jun 11, 2016

MeLKoR posted:

My question to you is... how are things inside the whalepod at the moment? How intrusive is the stuff we bring up on a daily basis? What perception do you have of us? What do "you people" think motivates us?

I can't really speak for all "whales" but the honest truth is I didn't really spend lots of time taking anything ya'll brought up very seriously because most of it was speculation, conjecture, or just rumor mill.
I think Derek is definitely motivated by hatred, or just likes watching the world burn. I imagine him using a magnifying glass to light up ant hills and laughing maniacally when he's not online.
It's hard to take someone's argument seriously when they're referring to you as a "Shitizen"

What you guys say and do isn't really all that intrusive, if anything, it's the toxicity that's been bred out of it. No-one can criticize or look at the project objectively anymore because everyone seems to have a serious stake in seeing it succeed or fail.
I've tried to stay far away from that stuff as much as possible.

Unfortunately, I can't anymore.

Like I said, my descent came all from CIG themselves; I never gave a poo poo what Derek said or didn't say - though I never thought he didn't have a right to say it. I'm not bothered by his motivations, though, whatever floats your boat.
I *do* care about a company I gave $3k to says and does though, for sure.

I originally found out we were being labeled from the Trades sub, that definitely rubbed me wrong. Derek can call me whatever the hell he wants, I'm not going to be treated like a second class citizen from a company I gave money to in good faith.
Then there's the blatant plagiarism of the deviantartists and other games... The bailing out on E3, the bailing out on Gamescom. If there's a product, why isn't it being shown?

That's what this comes down to. I gave money in good faith, and I no longer feel there is good faith anymore because of the changes and recent events.

I feel like Théoden from Lord of the Rings, waking up from a dream and finding out it was really a nightmare.
I'm not out to start a war with CIG, I just want my money back and to move on.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Loiosh posted:

Glad you're okay, dude. Over here the drama seems to always be poppin' as of late. If it's not CIG just dishing it out nonstop, it's self-important types imploding ITT. Gotta say, this thread continues to amaze.

Streetroller posted:

I feel like Théoden from Lord of the Rings, waking up from a dream and finding out it was really a nightmare.
I'm not out to start a war with CIG, I just want my money back and to move on.

Welp, for that to happen it's about high time some actual petitioning and spreading the word on CIG's latest absolutely lovely TOS is shed light on. Probably the best way to start the avalanche to get any money back from them by this point. Personally, am so happy I got a full refund back in October/November when they were still doling them out when Derek Smart spooked them sufficiently.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

h3isenbug posted:

I wonder if at some point they will have the balls to admit that CryEngine 3 is outdated, has never been a good fit and that they broke it beyond repair. One goal was to get the most out of modern PC gaming hardware which is hardly possible with a CryEngine 3 based game anymore. They left scorched earth with CryTek, but now with CryEngine 5 being available with full source code and pretty much no strings attached maybe that would be an option? It probably wouldn't be a better fit for the game they are trying to make, but hey - the fidelity!

Um obviously STARENGINE is more fidelitous than cryengine 5 because Chris only has the best and brightest working for him.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Samizdata posted:

Well, you are still alive and well, so that's good.

Happy about it too! After my last post I got an interview with a fascinating company. The team I work with are frighteningly competent so I've had to do an immense amount of learning fast. The nice part about all of it is that I'm busy from morning to night; not in the bad stressful way, but in the always interesting new task or research way. This weekend I'm fixing our ASA to allow Windows 10 users to use the native VPN client. Win 10 requires IKEv2 but with some interesting options (transport and translation) configured and enabled. Next week I roll out a test of our new SSO and then do a recable of our switches / patch panels to make things more manageable.

Always something to do, I've been loving it. I see Peter's still around, so things are good here, it looks like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Palisader posted:

It wasn't JUST Derek. Let's not encourage stolen Goon valor.

• Locked thread