Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I've noticed a few threads caught wind of recent PD2 updates and people are coming back, most notably Killing Floor 2's after a really badly-advised game update. I'm typing up a "what's new since I last played a year or two ago" thing for the OP that nobody will read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

I'm glad 000 has no downsides, because holy moly.

Also what did Tripwire do this time

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

LuciferMorningstar posted:

Dear thread,

Please be kind to any refugees that choose to flee from the KF2 disaster zone.

I've already made a very annoying effort PM once to Malek, but I won't promise anything if they don't stop talking about a game that doesn't allow me to punch zeds in the face yet. Payday's cut a nice new balance with player markets and gameplay that's just arcade fun instead of thriving only after memorizing the Codex Nerdatus on a wiki.

But Tripwire followed their own drill idea as well as a few other stupid things along with being very slow to update at all if it ever comes.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Tripwire killed Killing floor 2 with stupid balance and arcane systems of zed damage.

:rip: killing floor 2, long live the killing floor.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I'm one of the KF2 refugees, and Overkill has seriously knocked it out of the park with the skill tree update. It's so much better; I don't have to waste money to get skills for some god-forsaken reason and the whole skill tree flows much better than before.

I'm rocking an Enforcer pistol build that can tank shots like a pro, give out a lot of ammo for the team, get a ton of ammo easily, and headshot fools with single and dual pistols, along with the occasional sniper rifle (particularly Thanatos) rampage. Optimized? Nah. Would cause tryhards to whine that I should go for a dodge+pistol build instead? Yeah. Fun? Hell yes.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

hup posted:

There's a rock-paper-scissors sort of damage resistance system in the game now. Imagine if tan cops were weak to assault rifles but pistols did no damage and you have an idea.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

closeted republican posted:

I'm one of the KF2 refugees, and Overkill has seriously knocked it out of the park with the skill tree update. It's so much better; I don't have to waste money to get skills for some god-forsaken reason and the whole skill tree flows much better than before.

I'm rocking an Enforcer pistol build that can tank shots like a pro, give out a lot of ammo for the team, get a ton of ammo easily, and headshot fools with single and dual pistols, along with the occasional sniper rifle (particularly Thanatos) rampage. Optimized? Nah. Would cause tryhards to whine that I should go for a dodge+pistol build instead? Yeah. Fun? Hell yes.

I think optimization is effectively dead now as dodge and armor can come in a lot of new but similar flavors. And everyone has to be ammo conscious with any gun so its got that old KF1 tension of not loving yourself over missing shots.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

What's new in Payday 2 since I stopped playing a long-rear end time ago?

It's come to my attention that since recent news has dropped, interest in Payday 2 has jumped and quite a few new people have been posting in the thread.

So the last time Payday 2 got big in the news, it was a hot mess over microtransactions. They essentially added Counterstrike-like boxes and skins for guns. There were a host of reasons people were mad, but for some reason they latched onto the fact that some skins had integral stat bonuses that had little to no consequence on the gameplay as the biggest reason. The damage was done though, and Overkill actually doubled around and pledged to be more open about game updates and actually start supporting ignored issues like bugs. They also implemented a system of stat boosts that act like weapon mods that are way more useful than stat boost skins ever were, and once the next update drops at the end of the month, all dropped safe skins from then on will be 100% free to open.

The biggest gameplay changes have been in order of most recent have been the skill revamp, weapon rebalance, and perk decks. To sum each one up:

-The skill trees now look completely different and have tons of new skills that reward new types of playstyles. Lots of useless skills were axed and each tree has some really unique and useful skills.

-The weapon rebalance buffed and nerfed weapons around breakpoints. This means that almost no weapon is bad stats-wise, so when you open up that game for the first time and see a trillion new guns, you don't need to panic because odds are you'll pick a useful one.

-The perk decks were a twofold design of getting rid of the old tier bonuses and as a way of boosting skill sets to do more interesting things. Make sure you take a look in the perk deck section of the inventory ASAP as they're leveled up by you putting points into them manually. Several have been updated vis-a-vis usefulness, and there's a quick guide on them in the OP.

Besides that there's been a mess of content (weapons, masks, characters, etc.), both free and DLC. There are two write-ups on the DLC me and Vox, the latter being much more in-depth. There's also a proper tutorial in the game now for both loud and stealth for a refresher or new players.

Heads up, if you want to start a match, it may be a good idea to mention it here in the thread and join the Steam group chat or Mumble. The Goonbase has really slowed down and those of us who hang out in the Payday channels play a whole bunch of stuff now since we're buds or are in Europe where it's like 3am for them when folks ask.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

Crabtree posted:

I've already made a very annoying effort PM once to Malek, but I won't promise anything if they don't stop talking about a game that doesn't allow me to punch zeds in the face yet. Payday's cut a nice new balance with player markets and gameplay that's just arcade fun instead of thriving only after memorizing the Codex Nerdatus on a wiki.

But Tripwire followed their own drill idea as well as a few other stupid things along with being very slow to update at all if it ever comes.

It's a bit of a derail can you post this in more detail? I've played about 10 hours of KF2 (and 400+ hours of KF1) but I haven't touched KF2 lately so I want to know if it's worth getting back into once EA ends. I didn't want to grind levels just to do them over again once EA ended.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

clockworkjoe posted:

It's a bit of a derail can you post this in more detail? I've played about 10 hours of KF2 (and 400+ hours of KF1) but I haven't touched KF2 lately so I want to know if it's worth getting back into once EA ends. I didn't want to grind levels just to do them over again once EA ended.

* A recent "preview" update that will eventually go live has added an enemy resistance system that basically means you have to memorize this in order to be able to kill most enemies, from basic ones to the hardest, without having to waste more than half of your magazine to kill a single one. Most of them are dumb as poo poo too, such as fat men tanking headshots from high-caliber weapons and butt naked kung-fu women laughing off shotgun blasts to the chest. The point is to encourage team diversity and cooperation (such as pointing out a Bloat so a Firebug can set him on fire because the Bloat has a severe weakness to fire on paper), but instead it makes every class weak as a paper bag against most foes and has made some weapons, such as the fire-based ones and explosives, utterly useless, even against foes with a weakness to it.

* TWI's lack of communication. When you try to tell them something isn't fun or working in a test, they either throw their feet down and whine that it worked fine in internal tests, or take 5 months to push a fix that usually makes things worse.

The microtransaction thing wasn't bad, actually. It was just timed poorly with PD2's microtransation clusterfuck.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Crabtree posted:

For what it's worth, I did appreciate that. :)

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Welp, shame I didn't get my money's worth out of KF2 back when it was simply uninspired and bland instead of outright terrible. I was warned not to trust Tripwire where a sequel is involved, but I guess I've learned my lesson. Guess I probably can't get a refund at this point either, since I've had it for ages and clocked about six hours.

At least Payday's good.

Speaking of, hey Vox, turns out if you get tased while you're looking at the vault monitors on Beneath the Mountain you can get stuck tased. Even if the taser is killed, you just stand there with the effect going until you get downed by other dudes. It happened to me and I had to get downed and picked up before I could do anything other than stand there twitching.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

hup posted:

I'm crossposting this because it's loving hilarious

Picture straight from the official wiki:

So easy to understand and intuitive. :shepface:

Here are some other gems from the info spreadsheet:

*Stalkers take a whopping x0.25 of a shotgun pellet's damage. They can also walk off explosives with their x0.3 resistance to them.

*Husks are resistant to x0.5 of damage from an assault rifle shot and x0.4 damage from a pistol shot.

*Sirens take x0.45 of damage from an explosive, when they were previously weak to it before.

*Bloats take between x0.2 to x0.3 damage from all ballistic damage types, except for the 9mm pistol, which they take only x0.6 of for some reason.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

holy poo poo that is a loving train wreck. What the gently caress Tripwire, what the gently caress.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Even clots have resists, what a clusterfuck.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Meldonox posted:

Speaking of, hey Vox, turns out if you get tased while you're looking at the vault monitors on Beneath the Mountain you can get stuck tased. Even if the taser is killed, you just stand there with the effect going until you get downed by other dudes. It happened to me and I had to get downed and picked up before I could do anything other than stand there twitching.

Interesting, I think there were some related bugs that got fixed months ago. I'll see if I can replicate it.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Grapplejack posted:

I'm crossposting this because it's loving hilarious

Holy poo poo, what a mess.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Meldonox posted:

This also happened to me too the last time I played it a few days ago

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

hup posted:

Now you see, Kevin Clamely devised a brilliant mutation to cause the Zeds to be more resilient to conventional weapons. It's just a shame "conventional" here means "BLOODY loving EVERYTHING".

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

hup posted:

Compound that with the fact that they say multiple times on the Steam store page that Early Access is about taking feedback, and that:

1) This massive, game-altering system was mentioned in passing in a news post or two and no details were released prior to it coming out
2) At least two TWI reps have actively thrown hissy fits when feedback came back that this sucks

And it's honestly a lot dumber than anything Overkill has done in the history of ever. I suggested a few months back that the EA page was bullshit and Tripwire really just wanted to sell an unfinished game to float paychecks and that has never looked more true.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Tripwire has made me appreciate overkill.

:eyepop:

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Overkill is a company clearly aware of the things they tend to do wrong and they've made a very visible effort to correct themselves. The skill beta was great, a lot of communication back-and-forth, and this episode with Tripwire has made me appreciate it more.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Dr Cheeto posted:

Overkill is a company clearly aware of the things they tend to do wrong and they've made a very visible effort to correct themselves. The skill beta was great, a lot of communication back-and-forth, and this episode with Tripwire has made me appreciate it more.

It still was a pretty ballsy move to change around some skills when moving to the live branch with the skill remake, without testing them in the beta branch. I am pretty sure Die Hard wasn't basically Nerves Of Steel 2.0 in the beta branch but I am happy to have it back. Bulletstorm was I think the most significant change from the beta, but goddamn they made it a good skill now.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
Not surprised, I knew a guy who worked for Tripwire. I said for, not at, because he wouldn't leave his house. Not agrophobic or anything, just a lazy piece of poo poo if he wasn't at a loving rave or some poo poo.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Klaus88 posted:

Tripwire has made me appreciate overkill.

:eyepop:

We live in a very strange reality where all the things pubbies blame overkill for, such as doubling down on bad ideas and attacking criticism, Tripwire does. I'll welcome all KF2 players but leave your worries about Tripwire behind because thankfully Payday 2 is funner than before.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Crabtree posted:

We live in a very strange reality where all the things pubbies blame overkill for, such as doubling down on bad ideas and attacking criticism, Tripwire does. I'll welcome all KF2 players but leave your worries about Tripwire behind because thankfully Payday 2 is funner than before.

Agreed. Tripwire can keep burying themselves as long as I can pop helmets in PD2.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

i mostly touch the pubstove when I want to play for a bit without using a headset. Mostly, it's been okay but every once in a while you get a shithead. This guy kicked me from a loud DW Go Bank job just as we got to the exit http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198267529091/

Just a FYI

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
And to think I already hated the comparatively minor arcane bullshit that KF1 was saddled with.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

clockworkjoe posted:

i mostly touch the pubstove when I want to play for a bit without using a headset. Mostly, it's been okay but every once in a while you get a shithead. This guy kicked me from a loud DW Go Bank job just as we got to the exit http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198267529091/

Just a FYI
Continue never playing with pubbies, got it. Sorry you got burned.

John Murdoch posted:

And to think I already hated the comparatively minor arcane bullshit that KF1 was saddled with.
Some of it wasn't.. so bad? I loved KF in general and it was one of my most played games for a long time, but Payday 2 does the whole co-op thing better than it did. It's a little bit of a relief that KF2 is outright awful now, because every time I played it I felt like they weren't sure why KF1 was fun or how to reproduce that and build upon it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

clockworkjoe posted:

Just a FYI

Just remember the pubstove rule:

Always
Be
Hosting

edit: cheated achievements, no surprises there, I suppose.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

John Murdoch posted:

I think the big difference is that KF1 arcane BS is limited to solo cheese strats or Hell on Earth stuff, whereas KF2 is trying to make memorizing a spreadsheet part of the core gameplay experience.

Even before its many reworks, Payday 2 could always be played and enjoyed without ever consulting The Holy Text.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Discendo Vox posted:

Always
Be
Hosting

eh, it wasn't that big of a deal. My problem is I want to play immediately, not wait 5-10 minutes for people to join if I want to play a less popular heist or during off-peak times. I'll see a game with 3/4 people and I jump in.

What really drew my attention about his profile was that he had like 98 hours played in the last 2 weeks. Who the gently caress does that?

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Buckshot. Normal people cap it at 90. :shepface:

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

Always
Be
Hosting

What achievements are cheated? I apparently don't play enough to know by looking.

YET ANOTHER FAG
Mar 6, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Meldonox posted:

Buckshot. Normal people cap it at 90. :shepface:

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

juliuspringle posted:

What achievements are cheated? I apparently don't play enough to know by looking.

At a glance, played 96 hours, somehow hit Infamy 12? in the space of a day. Yet during this whole time, has only thrown a total of 6 grenades.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Good work detectives. Now you'll really show him. That random video game player none of us will ever see randomly won't know what hit him when the something awful payday private eye squad get on his case.

YET ANOTHER FAG
Mar 6, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Zigmidge posted:

Good work detectives. Now you'll really show him. That random video game player none of us will ever see randomly won't know what hit him when the something awful payday private eye squad get on his case.

:getout:

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

Don't you mean ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YET ANOTHER FAG
Mar 6, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Skunkrocker posted:

Don't you mean ?