Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

wicka posted:

it looks insanely cheap and lovely. like an off-brand aluminum hard drive enclosure.

That's what I think about the G4M3R bullshit and LEDs. But then, I think that anyone who buys a computer case with a window in it is an idiot and that LEDs should only be used as status indicators. vOv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

wicka posted:

it looks insanely cheap and lovely. like an off-brand aluminum hard drive enclosure.

A full aluminum shroud and possibly a backplate on a $200 range card looks cheap?

A bit of plastic around the fans is much more usual, even on $600+ cards.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

HalloKitty posted:

I don't get it, what's wrong with it? It looks alright, it's not covered in XTREME ~GAM3R~ poo poo.

The ultimate "card with a woman on it" has to be the ASUS 4870X2, which is basically completely covered in the image of a woman.

I remember that card coming up before from similar conversations, never had one myself. I would say you couldn't get away with marketing like that now, but that would be a horrible lie, you absolutely could.

That one is definitely worse than the 5770. It's a bit funny, Sapphire used the same render of a woman on all the redesigns of the cooler too:
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81WP0CSksAL._SL1500_.jpg
http://i1-news.softpedia-static.com/images/news2/Sapphire-Launches-Customized-Radeon-HD-5770-2.jpg

I'm looking forward to seeing custom 480 designs that take advantage of the fact that it's a shorty pcb.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

xthetenth posted:

A full aluminum shroud and possibly a backplate on a $200 range card looks cheap?

A bit of plastic around the fans is much more usual, even on $600+ cards.

i don't understand what the material has to do with what it looks like. it could be made of angel tears and still look cheap if it were poorly designed, which it is.

it reminds me of something like this https://www.amazon.com/External-Drive-Enclosure-Aluminum-Silver/dp/B00TN13Q6M

thin, cheap, corrugated aluminum with cheaper plastic accents. looks like it's going to cut my hand when i try to install it.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Ak Gara posted:

Talking of box art, I was remembering my first graphics card.

The Asus 9800 GT ULTIMATE.

HalloKitty posted:

I don't get it, what's wrong with it? It looks alright, it's not covered in XTREME ~GAM3R~ poo poo.

The ultimate "card with a woman on it" has to be the ASUS 4870X2

which is basically completely covered in the image of a woman.

I remember that card coming up before from similar conversations, never had one myself. I would say you couldn't get away with marketing like that now, but that would be a horrible lie, you absolutely could.

SO THAT'S WHAT HER rear end LOOKS LIKE!

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Male Man posted:

Who cares what a card looks like?

I'm getting a FTW because it looks like it has bigger fans than the base ACX.because it does

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I can't wait for this cycle's EVGA controversy.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

I can't wait for this cycle's EVGA controversy.

What's the backstory with EVGA? I'm patiently waiting for a non founders card edition of a GTX 1070 and I always thought the EVGAs were the best company to buy from

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Rabid Snake posted:

What's the backstory with EVGA? I'm patiently waiting for a non founders card edition of a GTX 1070 and I always thought the EVGAs were the best company to buy from

Probably something to do with the chip touching only 2 and a half of the 5 heat pipes maybe? Then there was that time one GPU's heatpipe wasn't even a heatpipe, just a normal empty pipe. I can't remember who that was though.

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jun 11, 2016

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Ak Gara posted:

Probably something to do with the chip touching only 2 and a half of the 5 heat pipes maybe? Then there was that time one GPU's heatpipe wasn't even a heatpipe, just a normal empty pipe. I can't remember who that was though.

ACX 1.0 coolers on the 970

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, they had a very outdated fan design which made them louder and cool worse. Everyone blamed it on a strange heatpipe design choice because it was an easy thing to see.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Ak Gara posted:

Oh I remember people talking about that when people in this topic were saying which refurb 970 EVGA cards to buy. I honestly just need a card to hold me over until the flagship AMDs come out since my monitor is a Freesync one. Maybe I'll just hold onto my 290 till next year when Vega comes out but it's so loud and power hungry :(

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Rabid Snake posted:

Oh I remember people talking about that when people in this topic were saying which refurb 970 EVGA cards to buy. I honestly just need a card to hold me over until the flagship AMDs come out since my monitor is a Freesync one. Maybe I'll just hold onto my 290 till next year when Vega comes out but it's so loud and power hungry :(

Ref 290? You might be able to get a decent price for it and sidegrade to a 480 for not ludicrous money if you want something better and don't mind a slight improvement (and if it's reference the gain might not be all that small, throttling sucks).

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

HalloKitty posted:

The ultimate "card with a woman on it" has to be the ASUS 4870X2, which is basically completely covered in the image of a woman.

Her skirt may be too short to look at comfortably, but that white background and red flowers turn that image into prettiest GPU art I have seen.

dbcooper
Mar 21, 2008
Yams Fan

Ak Gara posted:

SO THAT'S WHAT HER rear end LOOKS LIKE!

So how long before some graphics card manufacturer offers an option to print a custom image on your $500+ GPU?

And how long does the service run before someone tries to get them to use a dick pic or goatse?

Edit: shitpost++;

FaustianQ posted:

Custom RX480s already showing up. I guess a good sign for a high volume 6/29 release?

dbcooper fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jun 12, 2016

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Yeah im sorry I know looks are subjective but theyre not going to live that one down. Lol

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

xthetenth posted:

ACX 1.0 coolers on the 970

The ACX 1.0 was loud and hot. The ACX 2.0 removed the heatspreader (for sexxxy direct pipe-on-die action) but the die didn't contact all the heatpipes (some of which weren't even filled with fluid and thus did nothing whatsoever - meaning EVGA knew about the problem at the factory, lol). The ACX 2.0+ finally fixes all these problems and is a perfectly OK cooler.

Guide:

Hilariously enough, ASUS didn't learn a goddamned thing from this, the reason the DirectCU III is so hot is that it also doesn't have a heatspreader and 40% of its heatpipes don't contact the die - which is why the Strix 980 Ti, 390X, etc are so mediocre compared to the Strix 970 and 980.

DirectCU II on 970:

DirectCU III on 980 Ti:

DirectCU III on 390X:

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jun 11, 2016

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

dbcooper posted:

So how long before some graphics card manufacturer offers an option to print a custom image on your $500+ GPU?

And how long does the service run before someone tries to get them to use a dick pic or goatse?

I was gonna make an AMD Nano joke but then it's not always about length.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Paul MaudDib posted:

Pictures of lovely heatpipe placement.

And here's the DirectCU II on HD7870 from when I removed mine.

Middle pipe does all the heavy lifting, top and bottom pipes only get a corner. Still better than that DirectCU III. :laugh:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Geemer posted:

Middle pipe does all the heavy lifting, top and bottom pipes only get a corner. Still better than that DirectCU III. :laugh:

It's weird that your DirectCU II goes end-to-end where the 970's DirectCU II loops around. I looked up the 780's DirectCU II and it also looks like the 970's loopy cooler - there must have been separate AMD and NVIDIA models of DirectCU II.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Geemer posted:

Direct CU II/3rds of a heatsink.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

I was looking at the EVGA 980 Ti Hybrid vs MSI Sea Hawk vs other benchmarks and while the Sea Hawk had higher clocks out of the box, the Hybrid was 10c cooler allowing for it to overtake the Sea Hawk when overclocked. Apparently it was because the Hybrid's water block was custom made and the MSI's water block was literally from a CPU or something.

Does anyone know if it's the same for the 1080 Sea Hawk?

Also,

EVGA 1080 FE £636 ($906)
EVGA 1080 SC ACX 3.0 £579 ($825)

...Okay. I like that.

EVGA 1070 FE £400 ($570)
EVGA 1070 SC ACX 3.0 £410 ($584)

Uh. Why is the 1070 SC ACX 3.0 more expensive than the FE on the 1070 but less expensive on the 1080 :confused:

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Founder's Edition 1070 is an MSRP of $70 over base. Founder's Edition 1080 is $100 over base.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
So, take this with the entire sodium gas giant it came from, but apparently this is the MSI Lighting for Polaris, and not a MSI Lighting 290X

Card in question

290X Lighting in comparison

So fake, RX490, a custom RX480 golden sample that overclocks ridiculously well, Polaris clocks really well in general, or Polaris sucks up enormous amounts of power when going outside it's sweet spot.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

It'd be a real easy shop. Don't the lightnings get binned chips that take a while to build supply?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

xthetenth posted:

It'd be a real easy shop. Don't the lightnings get binned chips that take a while to build supply?

Correct, Lightning cards use binned chips so they generally take a while after launch to come out. I could see MSI having a mock-up and doing testing with prototypes but a production card is out of the question at this point.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
And that person's hands are absurdly small. The way they're holding it makes it look like a triple slot card.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Is there any precedent for a GPU to have a very particular sweet spot in power draw but can go crazy off the rails on draw and clocks? I know AMD has done this before, but that was a CPU µarch *stares at Bulldozer*.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

FaustianQ posted:

Is there any precedent for a GPU to have a very particular sweet spot in power draw but can go crazy off the rails on draw and clocks? I know AMD has done this before, but that was a CPU µarch *stares at Bulldozer*.

What do you mean? That's pretty typical of all GPUs, Hawaii and Maxwell both have a sweet spot after which their draw increases rapidly. Maxwell just stayed in the sweet spot while AMD pushed past it hard - if you underclock Hawaii you can drop the power consumption quite a bit.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Paul MaudDib posted:

What do you mean? That's pretty typical of all GPUs, Hawaii and Maxwell both have a sweet spot after which their draw increases rapidly. Maxwell just stayed in the sweet spot while AMD pushed past it hard - if you underclock Hawaii you can drop the power consumption quite a bit.

If we're going with the assumption that the RX480 is pulling ~100W (apparently two in XCF pull less than a single 1080), why on earth would that ever call for a (within spec) roof of 300W? How would it ever even get close to 300W without a power virus like Furmark? Even a single 8 pin would seems excessive.

Maybe the easy explanation is that Polaris has a really narrow sweet spot, and while it can clock high, power draw becomes insane.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Guys, the Lightning cards are made with LN2 overclocking in mind, the way you get a 100W card to draw 300W is by running 2V through the poor thing while it's sitting at -100C.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Paul MaudDib posted:

It's pretty typical of CPUs also :confused:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

FaustianQ posted:

If we're going with the assumption that the RX480 is pulling ~100W (apparently two in XCF pull less than a single 1080), why on earth would that ever call for a (within spec) roof of 300W? How would it ever even get close to 300W without a power virus like Furmark? Even a single 8 pin would seems excessive.

Maybe the easy explanation is that Polaris has a really narrow sweet spot, and while it can clock high, power draw becomes insane.

Why would you put 300-375W worth of connectors on a GTX 1080 which only hits 200W at a full overclock? People are idiots who think that the connector is somehow is limiting their OC (yet their super l33t power-supply is feeding everything through a single modular connector at the PSU side), and the AIBs are giving them what they want because ka-ching, an extra $100 for $0.25 worth of connectors and traces.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jun 12, 2016

objects in mirror
Apr 9, 2016

by Shine
Re video card boxes: Am I wrong or was the trend for the longest time to have a sexy CGI woman with a gun on them like Widowmaker from Overwatch?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I was pretty much nailed on to get a 1070, but after seeing the prices for the AIB ones I might as well splurge and go for the a 1080 FE which are pretty much the cheapest on scan.co.uk barring the base msi 1080.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

objects in mirror posted:

Re video card boxes: Am I wrong or was the trend for the longest time to have a sexy CGI woman with a gun on them like Widowmaker from Overwatch?

Maybe those are the only ones you remember because the marketing worked.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

track day bro! posted:

I was pretty much nailed on to get a 1070, but after seeing the prices for the AIB ones I might as well splurge and go for the a 1080 FE which are pretty much the cheapest on scan.co.uk barring the base msi 1080.

Prices for AIB 1070s doesn't mean much when the non-FE 1070s don't seem to actually exist yet. :sigh:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Unless they can essentially recycle an existing design, I'll be very surprised if MSI bothers with a Lightning version for Polaris.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Just a twin frozr cooler with a single 8 pin or 2x 6 pin will do the trick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
drat I really need a card now, my second 7870 is artifacting lol. Ill even take a 1070 ffs