Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
I always strip minis before repainting them, but you don't have to strip down to bare plastic (or resin/pewter, as the case may be). Even if you just get the model mostly stripped, it's probably good enough to take a fresh coat of primer and some paints. I just use Simple Green, since it's less caustic and I know it won't gently caress up the material. Aside from hot water, I don't trust anything that temporarily softens the material, and even with hot water, I tend to be cautious. I'd rather not risk harming the structural integrity of the material.

About the only exception is if I'm specifically trying to strip superglue from pewter, and then I use acetone.

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jun 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
SRM those ultramarine mans are very cool and good.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
http://www.greenstuffworld.com/en/inicio/310-miniature-leaf-punch-punches.html

This is game-changing.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

You need to try out their texture rollers. Those are equally game changing for doing bases. You've got everything from Infinity-style hexes to wooden planks to crazy Chaos runes.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I have their first leaf punch, it is truly awesome to use with real leaves. I picked up one of their texture rollers as well, but they've got version 2 of the leaf punch out now, so I'll have to get one of those and another roller or two.

...and I have bags of birch seed pods I haven't even opened yet. I am a model hoarder.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
I finally made a wet palette after procrastinating for a year. Turns out I'm an idiot and should have made one long ago. It's just so drat nice to work with.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Any good tutorials for that? Thanks to a still limited selection of colors I own I've been doing a decent amount of mixing and I bet one wiuld be handy.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I've never been able to get a wet palette to work. My paints just go all runny. I don't understand

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
Does ayone know what the link is for subscribers to access the miniature mentor page where you input your session code to download the videos? Im away from home and didnt note it down anywhere. I figured it would be a link on their site or on any of the emails you get when you download their vdeos but apparently not. The only time Ive seen it is the screen right after the paypal payment has been made.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

I have one of these, only it was four dollars. They are mini sized paper punches for scrapbooking.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
I'll definitely keep those in mind if I ever do an autumnal forest theme. This time I went the opposite route and I'm doing a tropical rainforest using etched brass foliage.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I have one of these, only it was four dollars. They are mini sized paper punches for scrapbooking.

Can you list the name of the brand/provide a link? At $13 it isn't a bad price, but not if I can get the same thing for $4.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Slimnoid posted:

Can you list the name of the brand/provide a link? At $13 it isn't a bad price, but not if I can get the same thing for $4.

I haven't seen one in a shop but check out a local hobby supply shop that has a scrapbooking section. If they have one, you won't have to pay shipping and can probably find a coupon.

The scrapbooking section is where I got a 1" round hole punch to turn old MTG Commons into D&D tokens.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Found this one on Michael's website.

http://www.michaels.com/M10358853.html#q=Leaf+punch&start=1

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

That seems a tad large

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

GoodBee posted:

I haven't seen one in a shop but check out a local hobby supply shop that has a scrapbooking section. If they have one, you won't have to pay shipping and can probably find a coupon.

The scrapbooking section is where I got a 1" round hole punch to turn old MTG Commons into D&D tokens.

Holy poo poo that's a great idea.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

Holy poo poo that's a great idea.

My Google-fu is leading me to believe greenstuffworld might have custom ordered their punches because I'm not finding anything in a good size.

If you're talking about using the 1" circle punches on MTG cards, then yes, it works great.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Yeah the dnd tokens. Totally in on that.

The scrapbooking section is a good place to check out when you go to the hobby store. They get a lot of sweet toys.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

Yeah the dnd tokens. Totally in on that.

The scrapbooking section is a good place to check out when you go to the hobby store. They get a lot of sweet toys.

I'm pretty sure magnetic tape isn't for what I want to do, but it seems like an awesome thing.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Today I monkeyed around:

SRM posted:

I painted up a Guildball team real quick for a friend of mine. Whole team took 2-3 days.

I like the planking bases, where'd you get them/how'd you make them?

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Slimnoid posted:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-LEAF-Shape-Paper-Punches-Many-Styles-2-Choose-From-Quilling-Scrapbook-Card-/380362972185
http://www.ebay.com/itm/40-Styles-Handmade-Scrapbook-DIY-Paper-Cut-Card-Craft-Printing-Shaper-Punch-Mini-/262447328172
Are just some random samples. If you just google Mini Paper Punch you'll get a lot more as well.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I found those but I think they are bigger. I think those are 1/4 inch and the one linked above look smaller. I could be wrong.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

How many leaves do you need, that you don't just buy their scatter leaves?

http://www.greenstuffworld.com/en/model-leaves/277-leaf-scatter-litter-natural-leaves.html

5.25 pounds rather than 12. You'd need gigantic needs for leaves to actually have the punch make sense.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Being able to choose the material has pretty substantial advantages.

I think the punch would work best with aluminum foil, since it's more durable and you don't need to worry about discoloration in a year or two.

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I like the planking bases, where'd you get them/how'd you make them?
I make mine by stealing fistfuls of wooden stir sticks from coffee houses.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

A friend gave me a relic knights model that looks like Overwatch's D.Va.

http://sodapopminiatures.com/relic-knights/cerci-speed-circuit/princess-malya

Now to just find a model that looks like MEI. I don't know what I'll ever use the models for - probably stand-ins for some infinity models? IDK why I'd want to find and paint up a bunch of Overwatch inspired models only to have them finished way after anyone still cares about Overwatch lol.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Chill la Chill posted:

A friend gave me a relic knights model that looks like Overwatch's D.Va.

http://sodapopminiatures.com/relic-knights/cerci-speed-circuit/princess-malya

Now to just find a model that looks like MEI. I don't know what I'll ever use the models for - probably stand-ins for some infinity models? IDK why I'd want to find and paint up a bunch of Overwatch inspired models only to have them finished way after anyone still cares about Overwatch lol.

http://www.beastsofwar.com/featured/overwatch-tabletop/

I haven't played overwatch so I've got no idea how good the article is, just remember seeing it.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

MrFlibble posted:

http://www.beastsofwar.com/featured/overwatch-tabletop/

I haven't played overwatch so I've got no idea how good the article is, just remember seeing it.

:eyepop: thanks!

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Is there a go-to method for protecting minis that you expect to be knocked around a lot? I want to paint some board game miniatures but I don't have room in the box for foam and gently caress getting battlefoam or whatever. Like is there a sealer that's stronger than the rest?

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

signalnoise posted:

Is there a go-to method for protecting minis that you expect to be knocked around a lot? I want to paint some board game miniatures but I don't have room in the box for foam and gently caress getting battlefoam or whatever. Like is there a sealer that's stronger than the rest?
I just use Vallejo gloss varnish, then Liquitex matte. The only reason I use Liquitex is that it's very matte compared to the Vallejo varnishes I've tried.
Most boardgame plastics are so soft and light that they cant hurt each other's paintjob at all. I had the figures in my Battlelore 2. edition stuffed into bags and nothing happened at all.
I'm a little more careful with the harder stuff from CMoN and such, but the figures aren't the real problem, the giant stack of cards and cardboard that smashes around the box is. Just make sure that can't happen and you'll be fine.

That said, I'm going for individual boxes line with foam washcloths for each clan with my Blood Rage. I'm a terrible hypocrite.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Two coats of Pledge Future floor polish and Krylon flat clear works for me. Testor's Dullcote is also popular for a rattlecan clear matte, but it's a little pricey for a dinky can. Future will turn milky if you layer it aggressively, but I've always had it eventually clear fully dried. Also can tend to re-activate the Army Painter washes I use a little.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

signalnoise posted:

A cheap storage unit for a small number of minis is a "plastic bead box". I've used these with paper towels or cut up foam from blister packs to carry around metal minis. They're also good for tokens and cards and you might even find one that fits in the game box.

It's probably not necessary for board game plastics though.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

GW released a video showing off their new gem paints - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUBtItceuec

The effect actually looks pretty good.

Anyone any idea whether it's a unique formula or if they've just re-branded something else and jacked up the price (like many of their other hobby tools)? I'm tempted to pick some up and repaint a bunch of gems I'm not happy with.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I honestly can't think of anything exactly like it, they're almost like clear paints but they're gloopier, like their Blood effect paint. They make gems a million times easier to do.

I've been experimenting around with them recently, tried painting some Spirit Hosts and a Alpha Legionaire using the paints thinned down with medium, I'll post some results when they're done.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
They look the same as the Tamiya clear line.

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog
Is there a modelling thread?

Pinning clinic over here. There's 8 in Mr cartwheel, only should have been six, but I snapped the ball joint off the torso like an rear end trying to adjust his angle.

Two between the hand and the base, two to straighten each arm, and two between the ball joint and the torso.

Just one in each knee for Cam Kneely.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Crosspost from the Oath Thread.

Not entirely happy with him. The armor was a pain (moreso than some of the other masons) and I'm not sure I made the different layers of shading on his skin distinct enough, especially on his head. I'm also unaccustomed to painting bald heads.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
I got a reaper metal figure. I've never painted the metal figures before, anything I should know/do differently from the plastic figures, or do they just paint exactly the same?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Has anyone here worked on dioramas before? I feel like this is a better thread to ask than the DIY scale model thread since that one deals with more static models. I'm looking for resources on how to make a diorama or two that is to be used for tournaments. Specifically, X-wing tournaments. Ideally I'd like to fit bases with pegs built into the board so I can make the models interchangeable. I'll hide the bases as part of the diorama. I imagine it would be better to leave cutouts for interchangeable bases as that would be easier, but then it would require me to have multiple painted bases as part of the scheme (there are a couple diameters of x-wing pegs available, the manufacturing process has been inconsistent throughout waves). I'd like to have some 2-3 walls as part of the diorama to make it look like a hangar bay. What are the best materials to use for such a purpose? I honestly don't know what to look for, thanks for any help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Foolster41 posted:

I got a reaper metal figure. I've never painted the metal figures before, anything I should know/do differently from the plastic figures, or do they just paint exactly the same?

Once you've primed it is the same. I feel like priming is more important but I am not sure if that is real or confirmation bias.

The biggest difference is in assembly