Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Agholor being investigated for rape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Forever_Peace posted:

Agholor being investigated for rape.

Goddamnit. This offseason was relatively decent until now in terms of players being shitlords.

This brings up an interesting question. When you draft players in fantasy, do you shy away from players who have done terrible things? Thinking Roethlisberger and AP would likely be at the top of people's hate list. I'm not saying I would never draft a player like this, but I haven't up to this point and I certainly don't look to draft them.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I'll admit I only think about it if it has a chance of affecting the player's play time.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

MrSargent posted:

Goddamnit. This offseason was relatively decent until now in terms of players being shitlords.

This brings up an interesting question. When you draft players in fantasy, do you shy away from players who have done terrible things? Thinking Roethlisberger and AP would likely be at the top of people's hate list. I'm not saying I would never draft a player like this, but I haven't up to this point and I certainly don't look to draft them.

Winston and Roethlisberger are on my blacklist. I don't draft them because I don't want to root for them. That's about it, though. AP, Vick, and even Rice all took positive steps to admit wrongdoing and work to redeem themselves. Winston and Ben, on the other hand, are unrepentant shitlords.

Weed guys own and should be drafted at every opportunity, because gently caress Goodell.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
F_P confirmed Josh Gordon stasher

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I traded for Ben in dynasty because I was in a perceived pinch at qb. Now I can't dump him or Brady onto anyone in my league. :smith:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Spoeank posted:

F_P confirmed Josh Gordon Martavis Bryant stasher

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Forever_Peace posted:

Weed guys own and should be drafted at every opportunity, because gently caress Goodell.

I root for all weed guys, unless they have done something actually terrible.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

MrSargent posted:

My friend and his wife tried trading Vick on the cheap when he rejoined the league. Nobody was interested and we were more like Why the hell did you draft him to begin with?

Same folks avoided Roethlisberger. I think it's silly but I have the moral standards of a den of Nazis.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

Martavis Bryant

I actually traded away Martavis during his breakout year in one goon dynasty league, then traded for Sammie Coates in another. I wish I still had Martavis. I didn't know he was the weed guy. :(

I also desperately tried to land Blackmon a few years back. Nobody would sell him to me. Thank god.

Sometimes I look back at the moves I make, and wonder how the hell my teams manage to stay competitive.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Forever_Peace posted:

Sometimes I look back at the moves I make, and wonder how the hell my teams manage to stay competitive.

ROFL this was the Martavis trade back in 2014, in half ppr:
Kettle gives Markus Wheaton, CJ Spiller, and a rookie/FA 1st.
F_P gives Martavis Bryant, CJ?K, Charles Sims, and a rookie/FA 5th.

The pick became DeVante Parker, who I traded away along with Melvin Gordon and a rookie/FA 2nd.... for Megatron. :negative:

That might be my worst string of moves yet.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

MacheteZombie posted:

I traded for Ben in dynasty because I was in a perceived pinch at qb. Now I can't dump him or Brady onto anyone in my league. :smith:

I've been trying to trade away Brady for 4 years now without any luck

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
Someone dig up my morality in fantasy football effortpost from 2014

e: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3633185&pagenumber=370&perpage=40#post437427218

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jun 11, 2016

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
5ish years ago, my league had a rule that if you were drafting Mike Vick, you had to cuddle with the commissioner's dog while doing so.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Forever_Peace posted:

Winston and Roethlisberger are on my blacklist. I don't draft them because I don't want to root for them. That's about it, though. AP, Vick, and even Rice all took positive steps to admit wrongdoing and work to redeem themselves. Winston and Ben, on the other hand, are unrepentant shitlords.

lol just saying gently caress off that's how I was raised is not positive steps.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Rookie TE Tyler Higbee probably committed a hate crime and gave a dude a brain hemorrhage so maybe add him to the list?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I'd draft Hitler into my fantasy team if he has a 5.0+ YPC

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

jabro posted:

lol just saying gently caress off that's how I was raised is not positive steps.

Probably not the thread for this, but even putting cultural considerations aside, AP voluntarily cooperated with a grand jury, pled "no contest" to the reckless assault charge, literally said "I take full responsibility for my actions", and went to therapy. This is pretty different from the denial and retaliatory character assassinations that Ben and Winston undertook against their accusers.

quote:

Rookie TE Tyler Higbee probably committed a hate crime and gave a dude a brain hemorrhage so maybe add him to the list?

Well there goes my 2nd-round strategy this year.

(joking aside that's awful)

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Spoeank posted:

I'd draft Hitler into my fantasy team if he has a 5.0+ YPC

What I'm Saying Tho

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

I agree with most of what you said, but I certainly don't think I am better than anyone else for not picking a terrible human for my fantasy team. It more comes down to the rooting for X player factor. I don't really get uppity about anyone picking Big Ben or AP, but I will certainly make relentless jokes about it. Last year, the one mother in our league drafted AP at #3 overall so it was too easy...

If I can get good value from one of those guys, though, I am pulling the trigger.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Forever_Peace posted:

Well there goes my 2nd-round strategy this year.

Just have to draft Temarrick Hemingway in the fourth instead

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

MrSargent posted:

It more comes down to the rooting for X player factor.

I mean, that's precisely the issue that I'm getting down on. You root for Your Fantasy Team. Chances are that you're going to have some kind of rear end in a top hat on your team, and for you to pick and choose which kinds of douchebaggery that you condone in the name of a numbers game is pretty deeply steeped in hypocrisy. Either you're trying to win, or you're not. If you want to have a problem with what goes on out outside of the numbers, you need to be morally consistent. I hate myself for how much I love fantasy when I'm staunchly opposed to everything the NFL stands for and don't support them in any single instance, but I Guess I'm At Least Aware.

We're all terrible and no better than the people that we choose not to draft.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

To put it more succinctly, in fantasy I don't root for players I root for number generators

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

yo

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

I totally understand not being preachy about it, but I'm not sure I follow what's actually hypocritical about trying to arbitrate which things we feel comfortable finding acceptable? That seems like what all of ethics is. Being a fan or running a fantasy team requires a degree of participation - it's normal for people to feel an inclination to make sure that their participation is consistent with their values.

Like, I'm not unaware of the concussion crisis (I am actually a neuroscientist specializing in mental illness and have taught units on CTE to undergraduates). I personally would support changing the NFL to 7 on 7s, or failing that, eliminating kickoffs and contact drills for linemen and contact practices in college and establishing a liability for the league to cover all health expenses for retirees etc. I would vote against building stadiums with public funds, support carefully controlling opioid prescriptions for players etc. But I don't have control over most of those things.

All I can do is choose how to control any participation. I wouldn't let any kid of mine play tackle football, I refuse to attend college games, and I use my platform to make sure my students understand CTE. And yes, I have a "no rapists" policy for my fantasy drafts.

Deciding that you personally have a different approach, perhaps because you understand that you aren't complicit in the behavior of your fantasy players and can operate at a distance, that's totally fine. But arguing that the only consistent stance is not to consider the nature of your participation at all seems pretty extreme to me

Forever_Peace fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jun 11, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
In the end Fantasy Football is just dumb entertainment. How people choose to enjoy that entertainment is up to them. For some that entertainment is better experienced by avoiding certain players. For others it's purely a competitive numbers game.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

We are all bad and Hobbes was right

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Dandy Kaiser posted:

This I can agree with.

What do you guys think of QB's this year for the late rounds? I got burned by Matt Ryan last year and don't like dropping a high pick on a QB. Looking at the current ADP, it seems like QBs would be going a little earlier in my league. I don't see Cam lasting until the 4th round and it seems like last year QB's were going much earlier in general.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Dandy Kaiser posted:

Tough but fair.

MrSargent posted:

This I can agree with.

What do you guys think of QB's this year for the late rounds? I got burned by Matt Ryan last year and don't like dropping a high pick on a QB. Looking at the current ADP, it seems like QBs would be going a little earlier in my league. I don't see Cam lasting until the 4th round and it seems like last year QB's were going much earlier in general.

It's not unlikely that one of Romo in the 10th, Tyrod or Ryan in the 11th, or Stafford in the 12th will finish top-10 this year. They have all finished top-10 already at least once in the past three seasons on a per-game basis. Good loving luck figuring out who it'll be this year.

Romo has vs. NYG - WAS - CHI - SF to start the year, so I might target that then stream from there. Ryan is TB - OAK - NO, two of which are dome games (so if he sucks for that stretch, I'm out).

For mid-round targets, I'd be tempted if Brees falls to the early 7th. He's getting older, but he was still QB4 last year on a per-game basis. Nabbing him in the Delanie Walker / Blake Bortles area of the draft seems like a steal.

Chen Kenichi
Jul 20, 2001

MrSargent posted:

This I can agree with.

The QB pool for a 12 team league is deep enough where late round QB drafting is more than acceptable. The gap between QB6 and QB12 is almost nothing. Waiting until (way) later you can still get someone like Dalton, Eli, Carr, even Flacco - IMO all but Dalton have the arrow pointing up for this year in terms of production, and Dalton is a wait-and-see but has decent history.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Chen Kenichi posted:

The QB pool for a 12 team league is deep enough where late round QB drafting is more than acceptable. The gap between QB6 and QB12 is almost nothing. Waiting until (way) later you can still get someone like Dalton, Eli, Carr, even Flacco - IMO all but Dalton have the arrow pointing up for this year in terms of production, and Dalton is a wait-and-see but has decent history.

Flacco has never once in his 8-year career finished among the top half of starting QBs in per-game fantasy points. Don't draft Flacco.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Brees in the 7th/Moncrief in the 8th is going to happen to me an embarrassing number of times if I can pull it off.

Chen Kenichi
Jul 20, 2001

Forever_Peace posted:

Flacco has never once in his 8-year career finished among the top half of starting QBs in per-game fantasy points. Don't draft Flacco.

If you remove his Denver performance as a one-off against a superbowl winning defense he averaged almost 20 points per game before he got injured in .04/yd 4/TD scoring. In the same scoring only 8 QBs broke 20 ppg average. Around 12 QBs then bunch right at 18-20 ppg. Not necessarily saying outright must draft, but that there are lots and lots of options later in the draft that are all in the same relative category.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Chen Kenichi posted:

If you remove his Denver performance as a one-off against a superbowl winning defense he averaged almost 20 points per game before he got injured in .04/yd 4/TD scoring. In the same scoring only 8 QBs broke 20 ppg average. Around 12 QBs then bunch right at 18-20 ppg. Not necessarily saying outright must draft, but that there are lots and lots of options later in the draft that are all in the same relative category.

All I'm reading is Elite

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Updated BeerSheet for PPR and MFL10.

Lots of sources have updated now. Sheets are looking good, and I'm super happy with the ADP projector.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/741731732311953408

Schefter on Facebook posted:

Update on newest knee injury for Ravens WR Breshad Perriman: He suffered a partially torn ACL in his left knee and will visit Dr. James Andrews on Monday to determine if he needs potential season-ending surgery, per source. He missed last season with a partially torn PCL in his right knee.

:rip: Perriman I guess we'll never know if you're actually good or not

Benne fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jun 11, 2016

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

What's worst, his hands, knees or hairline?

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
Man, that's brutal for Perriman, but im feeling much happier about getting Kamar Aiken in the Goon Slow Draft.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Benne posted:

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/741731732311953408

:rip: Perriman I guess we'll never know if you're actually good or not

Fuuuuuuccckkkkkkk. Just traded for him :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Im on the clock next in a dynasty startup... 21st round, gotta decide between Wallace, Aiken and Moore. Decisions...

And man does that suck for Perriman. Dude has been snakebit to start his career. Hopefully he can get healthy.

Quarterroys fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jun 11, 2016

• Locked thread