Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

MonsieurChoc posted:

My Imperial Agent punched Revan in the face without even force powers. Although apparently he comes back again in the expansion. Still, my point sort-of stands.

Nah, Revan was just a poor idea executed badly. Sith Emperor is Vitiate who is the definition of fanfiction. He's like Nihilus on steroids plus Sidious and every other Sith Lord amalgamated and made stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Didn't TOR manage to also piss on KOTOR2 by doing some really loving stupid stuff with The Exile as well?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
While it seems weird to praise Destiny's writing, I feel it struck the right balance on this particular thing. You're basically the most badass thing in the solar system, but it's because you're part of a special group of super-elite demigod-warriors (who are almost entirely comprised of player characters). It allows for you to be individually cool without overpowered NPCs harshing your vibe, while not pretending that the other players who help you along don't exist.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Tracula posted:

Didn't TOR manage to also piss on KOTOR2 by doing some really loving stupid stuff with The Exile as well?

That was the novel Revan, written by the first game's lead writer, Drew Karpyshin. If video game writer tackling a novel doesn't set off alarm bells, the content should. Anyways, long story short, the Exile, essentially an unwitting Force Vampire and one of the most dangerous individuals of the Mandalorian Wars, gets shanked in the back by a traitor Sith Lord and dies instantly. Except then she doesn't die, and becomes a Force Ghost in TOR who tells Revan to calm the gently caress down before poofing out of existence. The person responsible for resurrecting the Jedi Order dies like a punk playing second fiddle to a fan favorite.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Arcsquad12 posted:

That was the novel Revan, written by the first game's lead writer, Drew Karpyshin. If video game writer tackling a novel doesn't set off alarm bells, the content should. Anyways, long story short, the Exile, essentially an unwitting Force Vampire and one of the most dangerous individuals of the Mandalorian Wars, gets shanked in the back by a traitor Sith Lord and dies instantly. Except then she doesn't die, and becomes a Force Ghost in TOR who tells Revan to calm the gently caress down before poofing out of existence. The person responsible for resurrecting the Jedi Order dies like a punk playing second fiddle to a fan favorite.

Yeah, that's just bad.

an overdue owl
Feb 26, 2012

hoot

Phelous' reviews are pretty entertaining but his comb-forward has started to get sort of distracting. Idk, maybe it's just the lighting and it's not as bad as it looks on screen but that weird wispy fringe he has going on makes him look about forty years old which I am sure is not the case?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Yeah, that's just bad.

I'm usually not the type of person to get mad at bad video game writing when it comes to stupid plot moments.

But holy hell does this make me mad :mad:

Edit: I want more stuff with Meetra Surik in it. Get on that MARVEL! (That's the name they gave the exile)

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jun 11, 2016

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Are... are you saying the writing in the Star Wars EU is... bad?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

BigRed0427 posted:

I'm usually not the type of person to get mad at bad video game writing when it comes to stupid plot moments.

Edit: I want more stuff with Meetra Surik in it. Get on that MARVEL! (That's the name they gave the exile)

That's the name Karpyshin gave her. I still prefer Exile because it fits in with Kreia applying epithets to every character in the game.

I don't know if Marvel will get around to doing Old Republic comics anytime soon, considering they still have license to sell Dark Horse's KOTOR comic series. I know The Exile never showed up in those comics, but I still think it's a little early for Marvel to go in and start overwriting stuff.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

BigRed0427 posted:

Honestly give me stuff with any KOTOR2 character. I so want more Kreia in everything ever and of course HK-47 is still great.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

I think THe Old Republic line of games are int he same boat as everything else with Star Wars EU: No longer cannon after Episode 7.

For the Old Republic, thats toaly fine by me. I always treated it more as a AU to the Original Trilogy.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I really need to get around to playing KOTOR2 one of these days.

I can't really say a whole lot about Blizzard and their output, because aside from recently picking up Overwatch, I'm not real familiar with it. It probably doesn't help that I'm not a real big fan of RTS games or MMOs.

When Thrall was brought up, I thought the name sounded familiar, and I realized why. Thrall was the protagonist from the unfinished/unreleased Warcraft: Lord of the Clans point-&-click adventure game. There's a playthrough of what was completed on YouTube. I've watched some it, and I'm disappointed that it never saw the light of day.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jun 11, 2016

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Max Wilco posted:

The only game of theirs I thought looked really neat (which sadly never saw the light of day) was the Warcraft: Lord of the Clans point-&-click adventure game.

At one point they sent out virtually complete press copies, which slowly made their way onto bits of the internet if you wanna try your hand there.

Alternatively, a small few people have LP'd good parts of it if not maybe the full thing somewhere by this point.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
If you can't be assed to play KOTOR2 (shame on you)...
This LP is well worth reading.

http://lparchive.org/Knights-of-the-Old-Republic-II/

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Tracula posted:

If you can't be assed to play KOTOR2 (shame on you)...
This LP is well worth reading.

http://lparchive.org/Knights-of-the-Old-Republic-II/

I want to play it; I own it on both GOG and Steam (where you can add the Restored Content mod via the Workshop). It's just that I'd like to finish Baldur's Gate 2 first. Then maybe I'll start playing it, given that I don't decide to play one of the forty other RPGs I've bought that I've yet to play.
:negative: :gogtears:

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
Guys! Angry Joe likes the Warcraft movie but Sage doesn't.

i dont know what to think or who to believe thread help me.

... or i can go see it myself and make my own mind up, but :effort:

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Night Mind has new stuff up about a ARG that started at PAX West in 2013 https://youtu.be/0J6iZwaZQ9E

And a update to it https://youtu.be/af36ZqbBQrU

It amazes me how people come up with this stuff.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I think that the Warcraft movie always looked bad since it was announced and isn't at all worth seeing which is why I'm not seeing it.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Augus posted:

I think that the Warcraft movie always looked bad since it was announced and isn't at all worth seeing which is why I'm not seeing it.

I first found out about it via poster when I went to see Deadpool; I just turned to my friend and just went "they know that this is like five years too late right?"

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Testekill posted:

I first found out about it via poster when I went to see Deadpool; I just turned to my friend and just went "they know that this is like five years too late right?"

Well, it was announced in 2006.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Jsor posted:

Well, it was announced in 2006.

With sam rami as a director too. So you could have a gul'dan eating pie and thrall dancing.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

MrSlam posted:

It's something the Blizzard writers who I collectively call Chris Metzen are fond of. Bad guys don't do things out of self-interest or cultural differences or character flaws or ulterior motives, they do them because they got mind-controlled, corrupted by demons, addicted to drug-magic, and had badness written into their DNA by a rogue extra dimensional alien. Unless of course they are actual literal demons where they don't need an excuse. As one dimensional as he is, I still believe Arcturus Mengsk is the best villain in anything Blizzard's done simply because he's the most human.

That why i love the story of garrosh, he was just a huge rear end in a top hat who was put in charge too soon. and the closest he got to being corrupted was him being able to over power it with his own will. it stupid but he a better end boss then a super dragon.

Cyron fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jun 11, 2016

LFK
Jan 5, 2013

Cyron posted:

That why i love the story of garrosh, he was just a huge rear end in a top hat who was put in charge too soon. and the closest he got to being corrupted was him being able to over power it with his own will. it stupid but he a better end boss then a super dragon.

Nah, Mist of Pandaria is all about how exposure to the various Sha unhinges Garrosh culminating in him using the Heart of Y'Shaarj to nuke most of the Vale of Blossoms.

The fact that it's at most a mild twist on Illidan, Arthas, and Deathwing's stories is what pretty much cemented the Metzen style into the realm of self-parody.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
when i saw X-men i saw the new trailer for the ghostbusters remake/squeal (i hate how it not sure what it want to be) and as someone who hated the first trailer, i did chuckle a bit here and there so it is melting my icy heart. i do wonder if James may have over reacted a bit with his refusal to see the film.

Bridesmaids is a great movie and spy is another movie from the same director that had awful adds that made it out to be 100% fat woman jokes.i guess i am now in the wait and see camp. it does help that i do like 3 out of the 4 actresses in the film (i don't know mush about Leslie Jones) so that is warming me up a bit.

Cyron fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jun 11, 2016

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Going to respect Cyron's decision to edit that out

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

LFK posted:

Nah, Mist of Pandaria is all about how exposure to the various Sha unhinges Garrosh culminating in him using the Heart of Y'Shaarj to nuke most of the Vale of Blossoms.

The fact that it's at most a mild twist on Illidan, Arthas, and Deathwing's stories is what pretty much cemented the Metzen style into the realm of self-parody.

As far as I remember he never even set foot on Pandaria itself until after he'd already started going that path. You could read it as Sha energy unhinging him further I guess but it seems a lot more clear to me that it's what the person you quoted said. He was just an awful win at any cost guy with access to magic WMDs.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Going to respect Cyron's decision to edit that out

thanks i was typing something stupid that would of got me prob, i also not having a good week since i was in a hospital with heart issues and i realize i don't need to start poo poo online over digital boobs.

Idran posted:

As far as I remember he never even set foot on Pandaria itself until after he'd already started going that path. You could read it as Sha energy unhinging him further I guess but it seems a lot more clear to me that it's what the person you quoted said. He was just an awful win at any cost guy with access to magic WMDs.

pretty mush this, before he step foot on the shores he nuked a alliance city causing one of the alliances supporter of peace between the fractions to go 100% gently caress the horde.

Also i know it podcast but We hate movies give a somewhat positive review to the new ninja turtle movie, i may see that over Warcraft since since i was 4 i always wanted bebop and rocksteady on the big screen. mainly since my childhood failed to do that in 1991.

Cyron fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jun 11, 2016

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Rapidly Going Deaf > Internet Critic Discussion Thread 3.0: Warcraft Talk, I guess?

LFK
Jan 5, 2013

Cyron posted:

i do wonder if James may have over reacted a bit with his refusal to see the film.
Considering he not only went to Jurassic World, but gave it a glowing recommendation, I'm going to say "yes".

Idran posted:

Arthas was already a dick before he made it to Northrend, Deathwing was already getting paranoid about the other dragon aspects before he found himself stuck in Deepholm, and Illidan was already itching for revenge. Garrosh's fall to corruption may have been a bit less of a swan dive and more like he tripped off the curb, but the parts are all still there, and he still spends the final phase of his raid fight with tentacles and eyeballs growing out of his body.

LFK fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jun 11, 2016

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
It's just a shame the director of Moon got the Warcraft movie. I loving adored Moon and thought that he would be the best choice for the Star Trek films or to head a TV series since it's a very slow paced and cerebral sci-fi movie and he would have done a great job taking Trek back to its roots. Now he has green skins and humans bashing into each other and ugh :(

Edit:

Tony Zhou is loving amazing and everyone should keep up with all the stuff he does.

Tracula fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jun 11, 2016

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Cyron posted:

when i saw X-men i saw the new trailer for the ghostbusters remake/squeal (i hate how it not sure what it want to be) and as someone who hated the first trailer, i did chuckle a bit here and there so it is melting my icy heart. i do wonder if James may have over reacted a bit with his refusal to see the film.

Tony Zhou has written a really good piece about how the trailers for Ghostbusters have been edited.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
thank you for posting this, this is a great blog, very well done.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

If all this drama turns out to be a case of 'hey making a trailer for a comedy movie is actually kinda hard to do well' it'll be the only suitable end to this absurd poo poo.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
https://twitter.com/redlettermedia/status/741789936102170625

I can't wait to see what the hell they watched.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jun 12, 2016

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
AIDS Moby picking up his loving teeth after Rich Evans knocked them out

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Jay is not pictured because Mike murdered him.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

LFK posted:

Is this english

am I having a stroke

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Translated, he's saying that for all the "Garrosh wasn't corrupted by anything like most stories" stuff people are fond of saying, the endgame for the expansion was still "Dude using the Evil Power Of Evil Powerness to do Evil Things".

Randomly, I was thinking about the critical/popular dichotomy of movie critics (specifically, critics wail and gnash their teeth about movies that the actual normal-people audience see in droves), and I wonder if the flood of Internet Critics we discuss here began 'reviewing' older stuff initially is related.

Sure, a surface reading is that most of them were following in the wake of AVGN/Nostalgia Critic, but I wonder if some of it was an vague understanding that people weren't listening to reviews of new movies, so why not review old movies instead.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

DStecks posted:

Is this english

am I having a stroke

here is the funny part, this is one of the less confusing story, let me tell you about the dragon aspects...

or better yet find any wow book by Richard A. Knaak, it deserve it own YouTube review show tearing down those pieces of shits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

Thanks a lot for posting this article, it was a really interesting read!

Also no offense, guys, but my eyes could not glaze over more while skimming over these Warcraft posts.

• Locked thread