Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Tevery Best posted:

It's not just about the mechanics, but also presentation. If you flip on CS to dinner with your dad, all you need to tell him is "There are terrorists, there are counter-terrorists, they shoot each other and plant bombs." A complete layman looking at the screen is going to know they're watching a video game about soldiers shooting bad guys. If you go with DotA or something, well, good luck. Radiant? Dire? Nexus? Can I get that again in English?

Perspective matters, too. You only really know what's going on in Starcraft or League so instinctively (well, once you've played a few games, at least) because gaming as a hobby has conditioned you to understand top-down view. But to your dad it's going to look like a bunch of colour blobs. Hell, even I find myself barely capable of reading what's going on in a MOBA screenshot. But looking through the eyes of a guy with a gun? That's essentially GoPro.

Also I really, really dig what TBS is doing with explaining the game to people who have no idea about it. They have short breaks with players explaining the more abstract concepts and the lingo. ELEAGUE really has all the hallmarks of trying to make a TV programme rather than broadcasting a game. It's amazing how much they transplant from professional sports discourse and presentation: they have all kinds of crazy statistics you never see anywhere, even on majors, they actually seem to have less analyst desk time than most CS tournaments, and they have press conferences like you would in an actual sport. This is doing a lot to legitimise the hobby in the eyes of bystanders. I wonder if it will work out in the end.

ELeague is the first tournament that I've been addicted to watching, solely because the production value is just so high, and it's format as a actual weekly league is awesome.. Plus, holy crap I'm so glad they minimize the bloviating from wastes of skin like Thorin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dispersal
Nov 5, 2005

Famethrowa posted:

ELeague is the first tournament that I've been addicted to watching, solely because the production value is just so high, and it's format as a actual weekly league is awesome.. Plus, holy crap I'm so glad they minimize the bloviating from wastes of skin like Thorin.

Bad news. Throin starts next week.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Dispersal posted:

Bad news. Throin starts next week.

No more moe?

Dispersal
Nov 5, 2005

Photex posted:

No more moe?

I believe that is what they've said. Thorin will do the rest of the tournament.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Safety Scissors posted:

Since like last week, whenever I hold the fire key sometimes it just stops registering, like I let go of the button. It's only really a problem when I'm planting the bomb or using the revolver. This only happens in CSGO, if I hold and drag anywhere else (ex. to select or highlight), I don't have a problem. What's going on?

Try rolling back your drivers then updating them again.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
I recommend doing what I did and buying eight brand new mice in the span of the months

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

did I just watch the last man knife the other last man and then die to the bomb in a pro cs tournament

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Remora posted:

did I just watch the last man knife the other last man and then die to the bomb in a pro cs tournament

i bet an na team was involved

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Remora posted:

Yes and it was loving beautiful.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Dispersal posted:

I believe that is what they've said. Thorin will do the rest of the tournament.

Well, now I'm glad I won't be watching it on TBS. Losing the production value is worth not having to listen to him.

e: wait what they're making me listen to him on the observer broadcast for a minute too :(

surc fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jun 11, 2016

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Why does anybody give Thorin money to do anything? I don't know anyone who seems to like him.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Famethrowa posted:

Why does anybody give Thorin money to do anything? I don't know anyone who seems to like him.

13 year olds on reddit absolutely love him.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Famethrowa posted:

xsf421 posted:

13 year olds on reddit absolutely love him.

I'm glad that I get to post this again:

https://twitter.com/Thooorin/status/735736083095257088?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

I am extremely glad that ESL and Thorin seem to have beef with one another so he (hopefully) won't taint ESL Cologne next month with his appearance.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

:xd:

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

Holy poo poo, Pansy is only 25. I was watching esl and imagining a younger, thinner version while she was on screen, only to look up her age and see shes at least ten years younger than I thought.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
What do you guys do when you hit a slump? The last couple days, I couldn't hit water if I fell out of a boat. Do you take a break? Do you do extra DM until you start hitting shots? I'm at a loss, and I hate letting my team down.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

sleppy posted:

Holy poo poo, Pansy is only 25. I was watching esl and imagining a younger, thinner version while she was on screen, only to look up her age and see shes at least ten years younger than I thought.

You forgot the euro to USD exchange rate, she's around 29.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Photex posted:

You forgot the euro to USD exchange rate, she's around 29.

lmao

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

theres probably pics of her from when she was a pro player in cod4, she played for infused.tt I think. 5 years ago or so?

she's not the only one prematurely aged in esports, which is weird because they probably see a lot less sunlight than the average person.

26? or 46?

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

EvilBeard posted:

What do you guys do when you hit a slump? The last couple days, I couldn't hit water if I fell out of a boat.

toggle on

If that isn't an option and assuming you haven't actually made any changes to your game, don't worry about it. That's the best way to get out of a slump. Your first problem is that you've decided that you're in one, which is a leading cause of various forms of sicknesses of the mind, like changing your resolution, crosshair type or mouse sensitivity. You're not actually missing your shots because your aim suddenly sucks- if you go into a game dreading that you're going to play bad, you're very likely going to be playing bad as well. If you're holding a site and you're deathly afraid that a terrorist is going to strafe out with impunity and pop you in the head before you can react, you're probably spending too much time worrying and too little time re-positioning yourself to a spot you're feeling more comfortable and relaxed in.

If you can't reset yourself before a match or ideally before every round, just take a break. Forget about cs for a while and remind yourself that none of this matters and you'll probably never go pro. It'll make returning fresh and untilted a lot easier.

Also I dunno what skill level you're at, but while things like DMing and aim maps are good for improving basic mechanics and muscle memory, they starts having some real diminishing returns when you start playing at higher levels. Raw aim can carry you pretty far, but eventually you're going to meet a lot of people both at and above your level, players who are faster and better aimers than you, making you wonder why you're suddenly losing duels that you used to win. Chances are it's not because you got bad, but that the opponents got better and that a lot of your plays are bad habits brought along from lower ranks and never any good in the first place, only working because you were mostly matched against people worse than you.

Instead of trying to aim better, try to play smarter. Go back and look at games where you felt like things went wrong. Think about your positioning relative to the enemy when you got killed- did you get peeked every time? Did you hold a bad angle? did you hold the same angle? Is that flash you're constantly throwing before entering the site actually doing anything? Are you working with and communicating efficiently with your team? Or do you just go on autopilot and mindlessly try to just force plays instead of actually thinking about what you're trying to do in a round? If you're self critical and take the time to analyze your own game, there's always gonna be a ton of things that you can do to improve that has nothing to do with aiming better, it's just a lot more tedious.

Consider watching these videos by Steel, "how to push past slumps" and "on consistency", since those two subjects are very much related.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzqEo49AvxY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR2RF_WjwIk

or just toggle on

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

g2 getting dumpstered

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

13 rounds in g2 gets a round on d2 t side

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
They got beaten 16/1 and NiKo didn't even really show up. They lost to dennis and chrisJ.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

I thought g2 got good again?

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
They changed their minds I guess.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

they beat NIP in groups last week during eleague, then lost to them 0-2 in the finals, in groups with g2 and nip were selfless and optic, not really hard competition

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Started playing again after going through 1.6 and then some of source so...its been about 4 years since playing when I started back up a few months ago. I got the pass, was an idiot and opened a few cases. Became more of an idiot when I got a knife within the first 5 cases and sold it for $250. Bought a whole lot of steam games and eventually ran out of steam wallet trying to open more cases after my library got stocked. Got the wildfire pass, met a cool Canadian dude whole gave me a bunch of skins and a stattrack music set for free, and finally won enough matches to get put in silver two after my ten wins.

I love this game all over again, I love that it's fun again for me, and I love that skins are a thing but hate that it's so expensive.

My steam name is Soulex13 so please don't hesitate to add me. Most times I won't have a mic because I'm either at work or at home with screaming kids (but can hook up a mic if we do competitive). I'll also send an invite to the steam group.

I've definitely gotten better after reading the OP and forcing myself to play with grenades more and keeping my cross hairs where heads are running around. Same with the pistol rounds advice, though I'm the weirdo that buys a Tec-9 and a flash or a p250 with flash. I also use the FAMAS a lot more than the M4 strictly because I trust it more.

Also skinsonly is a loving ripoff so avoid that site like the plague.

Edit forgot to mention, my play style is largely lurker. I like watching the the rear or flanking an area that traffic might be going through. Works sometimes and get a 3/4 kill round, other times I get hosed.

Soulex fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jun 11, 2016

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

I noticed kioshima is playing for faze instead of Maikelele. What happened, I completely missed this while paying a little less attentionto the rpo teams.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

Soulex posted:

Started playing again after going through 1.6 and then some of source so...its been about 4 years since playing when I started back up a few months ago. I got the pass, was an idiot and opened a few cases. Became more of an idiot when I got a knife within the first 5 cases and sold it for $250. Bought a whole lot of steam games and eventually ran out of steam wallet trying to open more cases after my library got stocked. Got the wildfire pass, met a cool Canadian dude whole gave me a bunch of skins and a stattrack music set for free, and finally won enough matches to get put in silver two after my ten wins.

I love this game all over again, I love that it's fun again for me, and I love that skins are a thing but hate that it's so expensive.

My steam name is Soulex13 so please don't hesitate to add me. Most times I won't have a mic because I'm either at work or at home with screaming kids (but can hook up a mic if we do competitive). I'll also send an invite to the steam group.

I've definitely gotten better after reading the OP and forcing myself to play with grenades more and keeping my cross hairs where heads are running around. Same with the pistol rounds advice, though I'm the weirdo that buys a Tec-9 and a flash or a p250 with flash. I also use the FAMAS a lot more than the M4 strictly because I trust it more.

Also skinsonly is a loving ripoff so avoid that site like the plague.

Edit forgot to mention, my play style is largely lurker. I like watching the the rear or flanking an area that traffic might be going through. Works sometimes and get a 3/4 kill round, other times I get hosed.

To add me and we'll play comp some time

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

What's your Stan name?

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES

LochNessMonster posted:

I noticed kioshima is playing for faze instead of Maikelele. What happened, I completely missed this while paying a little less attentionto the rpo teams.

Maikelele got dropped and is currently teamless.

Kio got dropped from envyus and got replaced by Devil who's was from a tier 2 french team and afterwards Faze picked up Kio.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Maybe maikel can finally focus on his beatboxing career

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Bohemian Nights posted:

Maybe maikel can finally focus on his beatboxing career

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

Soulex posted:

What's your Stan name?

ID=vagabond_cookie

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

HiipFire posted:

Maikelele got dropped and is currently teamless.

Kio got dropped from envyus and got replaced by Devil who's was from a tier 2 french team and afterwards Faze picked up Kio.

I did read about NV kicking kio and replacing him with devil (from LDLC right?). But completely missed faze getting rid of Maikelele. Too bad, I enjoyed watching him play.

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES
Yeah Devil came from LDLC Blue(or white i dont remember)
G2 got bodyy from the same team

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

HiipFire posted:

Yeah Devil came from LDLC Blue(or white i dont remember)
G2 got bodyy from the same team
They were both on LDLC White, yeah.

Demostrs
Mar 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
if envy picked up bodyy instead of devil maybe they could be a good team

i told strega back last year that bodyy was insane and deserved to be on a top 2 french team

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

sleppy posted:

That's what happens when you're British