Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Anyone looking for a clean and concise list of things that plain don't work AND are a health hazard should check out What's the harm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
When I had otitis, I think, my Mum used to make salt socks for me and they really helped, but only as a pain relief. Also, it worked perfectly fine with coloured socks.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Random success story posted:

Sonia Atikian testified that they became very concerned about Lorie's condition but that Hanswille assured them that it was normal for clumps of her baby's hair to fall out and not to worry if Lorie didn't gain weight. 

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

quote:

Andrew Meyer
Gainesville, Florida

Tased

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

So is the lifehack here "don't tase me bro" or am I missing the joke:confused:

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
The salt-sock hot pack thing is especially frustrating because it IS in fact a useful and simple remedy to a common problem but it's wrapped up in so much new-age pseudo-science nincompoopery that it drains it of any sanity.

littlebluellama
Jun 18, 2013

I am kind, brave and deserve love.

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

Anyone looking for a clean and concise list of things that plain don't work AND are a health hazard should check out What's the harm

Holy poo poo, the vaccine denial section links to a story of parents convinced by christian science leaders not to take their baby with meningitis to the hospital:

"That's when we realized that the very things the Christian Science practitioners had insisted were signs the religious treatments were working were, in fact, signs of impending disaster. (For example, one practitioner, who observed Matthew's convulsions, said he might be ''gritting his teeth'' because he was ''planning some great achievement.'')"

http://www.apologeticsindex.org/news/an201108b.html

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Platystemon posted:

The ash pH thing is still bullshit, though. Your body doesn’t just dump ash into your bloodstream, and besides, your body has ways of controlling the pH of its various fluids.

And if your blood pH was off by a small amount in either direction, wouldn't you be feeling, like, very sick? Like, you would know if something was truly wrong with your pH.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Karate Bastard posted:

No. Stop that. Bad Platystemon. This is not the right place to go around spreading information.

At one point I asked myself “why am I writing this in the lifehack thread?”, but by then I was mostly done.

Argyle posted:

And if your blood pH was off by a small amount in either direction, wouldn't you be feeling, like, very sick? Like, you would know if something was truly wrong with your pH.

Five hundredths of one pH high or low is abnormal.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 11:27 on Jun 11, 2016

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Yeah thankfully blood is an amazing buffer so it takes a LOT to change the pH even that much.

Edit Lifehack: cause and effect and really the same thing if you try hard enough.
#aristotlehacks

Rumda has a new favorite as of 09:54 on Jun 11, 2016

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Wow :eek: what an amazing collection of lifedeathhacks!!!

HappyKitty
Jul 11, 2005

Argyle posted:

If it's a legitimate alkaline, the human bloodstream has a way of shutting that whole process down.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

This is by far the best entry: http://whatstheharm.net/moonlandingdenial.html

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

I "believe" that the moon landing was faked just because the idea that there are a handful of old rear end stagehands living in retirement homes with an amazing story that they cant tell anyone is really appealing to me.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

bongwizzard posted:

I "believe" that the moon landing was faked just because the idea that there are a handful of old rear end stagehands living in retirement homes with an amazing story that they cant tell anyone is really appealing to me.

It would actually have been harder to fake the moon landing than to land a man on the moon.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Bubba Ho-Tep the actual belief.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

bongwizzard posted:

Also because that would mean that The Shining really is a coded message from Stanley Kubrick telling the world that he had been forced to fake the moon landing for the government.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u4A5tJ2j3o

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
But i thought it was all about the fed and the gold reserve! It must take a lot of effort to create something that can make even bible numerologists seem mildly scientific in comparison

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
It's just a nice thing to believe in. I will never do anything at work as cool as faking the moon landing.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

My ex genuinely believed the Moon landing was fake because apparently a high school teacher she had believed it and she was incapable of forming her own thoughts.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

50%

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
If you have a sore tooth, try biting down hard on some fresh spring bhut jolokias. This will distract your brain nerves and reduce the pain by over 50%!

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.
A world in which you can't find a place to pee but it's still convenient for you to have a boner.

"No Henry, I'm horny because I have to pee."

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
Of all the dumb internet lifehacks in this thread, the one I can testify to being actually useful is putting something super hot on a mosquito bite to kill the itch; I use a fresh cup of coffee instead of a spoon because a) running a spoon under hot water takes ages and b) I get coffee. Walla!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

TheKennedys posted:

Of all the dumb internet lifehacks in this thread, the one I can testify to being actually useful is putting something super hot on a mosquito bite to kill the itch; I use a fresh cup of coffee instead of a spoon because a) running a spoon under hot water takes ages and b) I get coffee. Walla!

I know, right? That one is pure sorcery.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
It's because the anticoagulant in mosquito saliva, that also causes the irritation associated with their bites, is a protein that can be denatured at relatively low temperature!

Denature the protein, stop the reaction. Science is rad.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Guy Mann posted:

Also because that would mean that The Shining really is a coded message from Stanley Kubrick telling the world that he had been forced to fake the moon landing for the government.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u4A5tJ2j3o

I was thinking of watching this because it's on netflix; is it interesting or will it just make me stupider? Basically, i like reading/watching thing about crazy conspiratorial thinking, but i'm not interested in having someone try to sell me on their particular brand of hogwash.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

a kitten posted:

I was thinking of watching this because it's on netflix; is it interesting or will it just make me stupider? Basically, i like reading/watching thing about crazy conspiratorial thinking, but i'm not interested in having someone try to sell me on their particular brand of hogwash.

What I only remember about it was how badly it was done. Like, Youtube quality.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

The moon landing guy is only one of the people who have ideas about what The shining means.
I enjoyed the movie for all the little things that the interviewees noticed.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Don't like your significant others sisters? Be incredibly mean because they're worthless wastes of humanity and never have to deal with them again. #lifehack

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

a kitten posted:

I enjoyed it. The guy who made it isn't trying to sell you on the conspiracy theories, he's just documenting them because he's interested in how weird people's brains are. He's also done a documentary on sleep paralysis and the short doc The S From Hell, about people who were scared of a 1960s television prodcution title card.

https://vimeo.com/18332484

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

pienipple posted:

It's because the anticoagulant in mosquito saliva, that also causes the irritation associated with their bites, is a protein that can be denatured at relatively low temperature!

We’re lucky that the protein denatures at normal hot coffee temperature and just at McDonald’s hot coffee temperature.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

pienipple posted:

I'm sorry I was mean to you earlier Platystemon. I take it back! This information thing is actually p hot tamale ay caramba!

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

pienipple posted:

I learned something today, thanks! :science:

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
I like the satanic ritual abuse section. Being a satanist is a ok in moderation.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

PYF stupid life hacks - I like the satanic ritual abuse section.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

not my favorite basquiat piece but a good one none the less

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

So that's why bananas are slightly radioactive :devil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU