Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Well I mean, Storm isn't that bad as far as the cores go. A strong AOE does plenty of damage and can take it out fairly quick (link order II or something like that). It's his status effects that are the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Incidentally, the Adventurer's Bond quest is actually a reference to the EO2 manga (Yes, there's a manga of the game, but it's not a straight adaption.) The Ronin and the Gunner in that quest are some of the main characters in the manga.

Ah, Stigmata. Yeah that ability is ridiculous (also a little less powerful than you said. It has a 80% base chance at level 10.)

Tyty posted:

Well I mean, Storm isn't that bad as far as the cores go. A strong AOE does plenty of damage and can take it out fairly quick (link order II or something like that). It's his status effects that are the problem.

You can't even use Prevent Order for that. Corrupting Howl purges your buffs before attempting to inflict any statuses. Not that it would help much with Binding Dance anyway.

The dragons in this game are awful. Though I guess I do appreciate the attempt to mix up those fights.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I knew you could kill it during this sidequest, but I never did it on Expert while underleveled. Jeez.

But yeah, the hearts are the worst. Especially on The Great Dragon. :argh:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Update 18: Arachne

Is this... an ingredient found from the Yggdrasil Sprout? I'm impressed... you really managed to find another like it. Could you wait a little while? If I remember correctly... there may be another recipe similar to the last one.
Is this another recipe for tea?
Yes, and it should have quite a different taste... and it'll have a different kind of effect, I think. If you don't mind, I'd like you to test out the recipe.

Now we can make the second tea.

It's done. This is Yggdrasil-sprout tea!
My... The water looks so beautiful; it's like you melted a piece of amber.
This is the first time I have ever seen such a beautifully-colored tea.
Yeah, I don't know anything difficult, but I do know this is pretty!
Ah, it is a pretty sight. But, is this really tea? I feel like I'm licking honey. It's sweet as heck.
I didn't boil it like normal tea. I ground it instead, so the flavor of the sprout itself is what you're tasting.
So, that means... Yggdrasil flavor is very sweet?
...If I bite the trunk, it'll be sweet?

Let's try it.
Yeah. If it's sweet... then we don't have to worry about being hungry while exploring.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but the sweetness exists only when it sprouts. The trunk isn't sweet.
Huh!? Wait, don't tell me that you've tried to cook it already!?
As a cook born in an Yggdrasil city, of course that's something I would try once. At any rate, this is the unique flavor of a sprout. Take your time and enjoy it.

It tastes terrible.
Huh!? You mean... you've tasted it?
That's a coincidence; I've tried it, too... But it's not something to be eaten.
A-And... How was the taste?
Like wood.
I've never eaten wood before, so I wouldn't know how that's supposed to taste like...
At any rate, this is the unique flavor of a sprout. Take your time and enjoy it.

Believe or not, edible wood is actually a thing that exists. And yes, we're talking tree trunks here.

Anyway, this tea is a really good one. What it does is force all Grimoire Chances to become Premium Chances. Every kind of Grimoire Chance. This makes grabbing Grimoires you want slightly easier, but it doesn't completely take out all the RNG from it, as you aren't guaranteed to get a max level Grimoire from one.

And let's turn in that mission.

It may not be adequate compensation for such a feat, but I'd like to present you with a reward. The Flame Demon posed a great threat to explorers of the Labyrinth. Your actions have saved the lives of many future explorers... Thus do we offer this token of gratitude.

Money is always nice.

But experience is even nicer.

We did. I cannot be completely certain, but I believe the way is clear for us to proceed.
That is good news indeed! Well then, this old man shall pray for the success of your ritual.

Even if the minister isn't royalty himself, it's only polite to bow.

Come now, that isn't necessary! There is no need for you to be so humble here. May fortune favor you as you carry out your ritual.

We don't know if the path will actually open yet. We should try and see if it works as soon as we can.

Let's go.
Yes, let us go forth.
Come on, Trand. Let's go.
Yeah... Looks like it's finally time...

None of the townsfolk have new dialogue yet. So it's off to Ginnungagap!

It's past where we fought that lizard. Are we going?

In order to reach the sealed door again, you step into the quiet temple.

Oh and here's an audio only conversation I forgot to show off when it was just Flavio and Arianna traveling with us through Ginnungagap.

It's sure quiet, huh?
Truly silent.
You can't help but whisper for some reason, right?
I must agree.

The black-robed girl approaches the door and touches it with a small hand before quietly muttering.

It still doesn't seem like it'll open.
Chloe, don't go getting your fingerprints all over it. ...Usually, these things only work when the one who has the power touches it.

Bertrand pulls Chloe away from the door by the nape of her mantle, like a mother cat with a kitten, and motions to you.

It opened. Can we go on now?

The woman's mouth hangs open as she stares at the suddenly-opened path...

Thank goodness, eh?
...Yes.
I was fearful of what might happen if the door hadn't opened.
But yes! Let us explore further within, for the sake of the ritual.

You follow the woman and step further into the unexplored ruins.

We're done with the first floor. Now onto the second.

You can't help but halt in your tracks in this suffocating atmosphere.

Let's push through this.
Agreed. I won't rest until we've found the Hall of Sealing!

With that fiery response from the princess, you begin your journey through this new floor.

The ceiling's white.
Good lord... There's spiderwebs everywhere.
So sticky.
Where there are webs, there are sure to be spiders close behind.

Let's hunt them down.
Huh!? Wh-Why...? C'mon, wouldn't it be better to move on and perform the ritual?
Unfortunately, I'm not sure that's an option. Look over there.
Huh?

Moreover, the spider seems to have noticed your presence and is making threatening motions toward you... You doubt you will make it through this room without dealing with the spider, one way or another.

Are you all right, Sir Flavio?
Wanna go home?
I-I'm fine, really... L-Let's go...
But we should try not to fight it if we don't have to. I don't like the look of that thing. Not one bit...

You take the quaver in your friend's voice into consideration as you ponder how best to deal with this situation.

Most impressive. Could one spider alone have prepared this much webbing?
H-How can you girls be so casual at a lime tyke this?
Yikes. You're freaking out so much you can't even talk straight.
But a web that reaches this far down might be just what we need.

Fancy a souvenir, do you?
Why would I want a spiderweb? Besides, it's oddly tough. I don't think I could cut it that easy.
No, that's not what I was getting at. What I meant was, why not set fire to the web we can reach here?
I-Isn't that dangerous...? The fire could spread up to the whole web all across the ceiling.
I think we'd be fine. It's your call, though.

The rest of the group looks to you, awaiting your decision. Whatever action you elect to take regarding the web before you, now is the time to take it.

Time for a bit of pyromania!

You're too excited, Flavio.
S-Sorry. I couldn't help it...
But we might not have to go near those things from here on out!
Very true. Well then, let us keep watch for more webs that dangle within arm's length as we move forward.
You got it!

We'll fight the next one.
Uh?
Wow, that's pretty harsh. Even I feel a little bit bad for him.
C-C'mon, you're joking, right? Right, Knight?

You nod noncommittally to Flavio, who keeps pressing the issue, as you resume your exploration.

Incidentally, you can easily take on the spider FOEs at this point. Maybe that was so that you could make good on your word there if you chose the 3rd option. I went back to town to rest up a bit. Now the townsfolk have new stuff to say, but we can't see any inn scenes yet.

The best part is how easy it is to make them! He'll make an excellent housewife someday. I'm sure of it!
Gracious... That is quite high praise indeed, coming from the owner of the inn! That's wonderful, Flavio!
Haha, well, what can I say...?
...W-Wait a minute! What do you mean, 'housewife'? I mean, I can't even get 'house husband' here!?
Oh it's all the same! You know, Flavio, ladies don't go for a man who gets all bent out of shape on the details.
Hnngh...

...He's good at making sweets, doing the laundry, and house cleaning... Plus he's good at repairing things... ...I'm going to do my best so that I can be as good as Flavio!
Nobody likes getting compared to someone else. Good luck, little lady.
Yes, I wish you the best of luck in defeating Sir Flavio! Give him a sound thrashing!
W-Wait! Defeat? Thrashing!? I don't think any thrashing's necessary!

I mean, lots of explorers are just pretty, but something about her feels different somehow... I wonder why...?

Because it's Arianna.
Oh, so you think she was just born that way...? Yes, you must be right... ...*sigh*.

Because she's a princess.
Hee hee! Yes, she sure seems like a princess sometimes! It's unusual to hear you joke around like that, Knight. ...You... um, you were joking... right?

If you ever need a break, just stop by here. I'll make you something when you do... assuming we have the ingredients.

Heard yeh beat down a huge fiend up on the 10th floor! Haw, I completely underestimated yeh! Well, what're yeh waiting for? Go on, spin the tale! Tell us yer story!

Dramatic:

Haw haw haw! Well, ain't that a tale for the ages! Well then! Let's have us a toast to the future heroes of High Lagaard! Cheers! Haw haw haw!

Normally:

Whoa... S-So? What happened next!? Oh, c'mon, quit holding out on us! Hell, I bet yeh could charge people to hear yer story! 200 ental a seat! drat, yeh folks with talent can do anythin' yeh want. Fight, talk, yeh name it. Haw, almost makes me sick! So c'mon, what happens next?

Don't tell:

Oh c'mon, don't hold out on us. This ain't the time for modesty. Go on! Yeh got an audience, here! ...Yeh really just gonna sit there and act like it ain't a big deal? Man... Yeh're no fun at all! Yeh kids need to learn how to let loose. Work's fine, but so's relaxing... so c'mon! Let's chat!

...I understand that you're not strictly a part of the exploration effort... But... instead of returning to Midgard after your investigation... have you considered remaining here, as explorers?

I'll think about it.
Ha, so there is some hope? I'll be looking forward to your decision when the time comes.

That's something I can't do.
...I'd hate to see such incredible talent disappear back into Midgard, and I'm sure many would agree with me. That's... rather unfortunate.

You've gone through a great many ordeals, but hopefully now you can at least complete the ritual. ...I do hope that nothing unfortunate occurs... Oh, I shouldn't tempt fate like that! Please, pay no attention to this old man's ramblings.

Now let's head back to Ginunngagap.

...There's something mean past here.

Your senses, honed through your many adventures, tell you much the same.

I hesitate to say this... but you know all the spiderwebs around here? With this many around here... maybe there's not only a lot of little you- know-whats, but one giant one... ......

Seemingly too agitated to speak another word, Flavio falls silent, his face pale and clammy.

There may be a giant spider ahead.
Ugh! You didn't have to say it!
We need to check everywhere to find the ritual hall. We can't avoid just this place.
Dame Chloe is right. Please, Sir Flavio, I know that you're afraid, but try to find the strength to endure.
Wh-Who said I was scared? I can do this! No problem!

Something baleful awaits you beyond this door... You review your readiness before committing to opening it.

A giant spider creature resides in this room.

Er, a giant spider woman.

Who is laughing at us while upside down.

On the other side of the door is the bewitchingly dreadful monster Arachne, a ghastly fusion of woman and insect! Arachne does not attack at once; rather she takes the time to laugh mockingly at you. Despite the beauty of her face, there is little but malice in her smile, and there is no knowing when she will strike...

The spider queen?
Ugh, this is going to hurt... But we'll have to get through somehow.

You can do this, Flavio.
I-I said I'll be fine! I'm totally fine now that I know there's a you know-what in here! I'm not even scared of them, really, I just hate how they pop up out of nowhere!
Yeah, yeah, we get it.
Well, you don't sound like you do!
Who cares. Let's fight it.
Rrrrgh...

You coax the anguished Flavio back to sense before taking up your weapons and stepping into Arachne's lair!

Well, she's helpless. So let's just slip past her.

But no. We must stay on the railroad.

But before we tackle Arachne, let's take a look at our party now. Once again, I'm using the MAX TP food, but mainly as insurance. I doubt I'll need it.

Okay, let's do this.

They're here.
Lend me your aid!

Arachne
Level: 31
HP: 17000
STR: 26
TEC: 25
VIT: 25
AGI: 20
LUC: 24
Skills:
  • Venomous Bite: Arachne will "sharpen her fangs" at the end of the turn before Venomous Fang. Uses the head. Deals 215% melee STR-based Bash damage to one row. Attempts to inflict poison on hit targets, with a 70% base chance and 70 base poison damage (around 94 damage adjusted for level). Has a 70% speed modifier and 110 base accuracy.
  • Poison Swamp: Cannot be disabled. Deals ranged TEC-based Almighty damage to the entire party at the end of every turn. Damage depends on the length since it was casted, and how many times Arachne has casted Poison Swamp: 15%, 25%, 35%, 50%, 65%, 80%, 100%, 120%, 140%.
  • Silk Spit: Uses the head. Deals 130% ranged STR-based Stab damage to one party member. Attempts to bind the target's head, arms, and legs, with a 60% base chance. Has a 130% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
  • Silk Spread: Uses the head. Deals 70% ranged STR-based Stab damage to each party member. Attempts to bind hit targets' head, arms, and legs, with a 40% base chance. Has no speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
  • Stinger: Uses the legs. Deals 100% melee STR-based Stab damage to one target, with line-piercing effect. Attempts to stun hit targets, with a 30% base chance. Has a 150% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
Damage resistances:
100% 100% 100% 125% 100% 75%
Disable resistances:
0% 0% 50% 25% 50% 50% 25%
0% 0% 10%
25% 50% 50%

Arachne is really pathetic compared to Flame Demon. Seriously, I don't know why the web is even there. They really should have increased her HP because the amount of HP burning the web takes off is just pure overkill.

Take this free turn as an opportunity to set up.

If you can head bind Arachne, you've basically won the fight, as that will lock down most of her skills. Though don't expect that to be easy to pull off without a Hexer.

Arachne is immune to Blind, so Paralysis is my only option here.

I don't foresee this battle taking long enough to justify saving her Break and using it when necessary.

Ha ha, yes!

My number one priority for this fight is landing a Head bind on Arachne. Which unfortunately did not happen here.

The Ginnungagap boss theme is a nice track, but I think it's time we switched up the music a bit.

Give me power!

Much better.

Flavio's job is done, so I'm just gonna have him spam his attacks.

The reason I broke out Arianna's Force Boost was so she had access to an AOE Prevent Order in case anything went wrong.

Unfortunately, the Paralysis didn't lock up Arachne's turn.

Chloe failed to head bind her again. It's times like these I really wish I had a Hexer.

Average of 310 damage. Not bad.

I'd say we're not lacking damage in this fight either.

This is what I was putting up Prevent Order for.

I have no reason to hold onto Flavio's Force Boost. The fight shouldn't last long enough for it to come up again, and Arachne doesn't have any summons.

Sure, why not?

Say goodbye to 600 more HP.

Make that 1100.

Arachne got paralyzed this turn, so she wasn't able to use Venomous Bite.

Unfortunately, Paralysis wore off this turn, so I'm going to activate Chloe's Force Boost in hopes of landing a head bind.

I think this may be one of the last attacks Arachne gets off in this fight.

There's Extend in action.

For the record, I really don't care about Ailing Slash. It's not gonna speed things up that much.

Still no head bind?

Well, she's not immune to Sleep, so maybe I can cause her to lose another turn.

Ha ha! That was lucky!

:cawg: Arachne is now effectively helpless.

Arianna's helping speed things along with Link Order.

May as well have Chloe conduct the pain train again.

Accumulative Resistance makes landing Paralysis again unlikely, but Flavio has nothing better to do.

I had Flavio fire off a Sagittarius Shot earlier. This skill is only level 2 right now, which means this should deal a lot more damage when it's maxed out. But unfortunately, it didn't stun Arachne, not that I was expecting it to.

Whittling down Arachne even more.

That's some nice damage.

Unfortunately for Arachne, she can't use Venomous Fangs thanks to her head bind.

May as well fire this off.

Even without an ailment, Ailing Slash still hits decently hard.

And now Knight will only used Delayed Chase + Flame Sabre for the rest of the battle.

The old man's on fire!

At this point, why not?

AHAHAHA! :cawg: That sure was lucky! So yeah, my grand strategy for this fight is to a) make Arachne helpless and b) beat the ever loving tar out of her while she is helpless. So far it's working!

Fortunately, Bertrand's arms didn't get bound, which are the limbs he really cares about.

I'll just say that the last turn was the last time Arachne gets to attack at all in this fight. She spends the rest of the battle completely paralyzed. Poor Arachne.

Looks like this is the end.

We won!

That spider just got stomped. Arachne isn't really a difficult fight, as long as you don't let it go on too long. It's even easier in Classic Mode, since you can make a much more powerful party there.

You have bested another of the threats standing in your way to the ritual!

Thank heavens!

You hung in there, Flavio!
Heheh, it'll take more than a little old you-know-what to get the better of me!

Despite his bravado, Flavio seems vastly more cheerful now that the arachnoid monster has been vanquished... You are tempted to point this out to your friend, but content yourself with simply rejoicing in your victory for now. But just as you've finished basking in your triumph, the black-robed girl voices a reminder.

So where do we do the ritual?
The ritual hall ought to be here someplace. Let's search for it.

The woman's anticipation is at its height as the group begins searching the hall.

Now we can go through this door.

This mark... It is a sign that this is the ritual hall!

The woman raises her voice with happy excitement before turning to you.

Thank you ever so, Sir Knight. If not for you... if not for all of you... I should never have made it here.

Don't worry about it.
Ahahah... You're always so kind, Sir Knight.
I must thank you as well, Sir Bertrand and Dame Chloe.
I admit, you struck me as unusual when we first met... but I've come to cherish our time together.
That's our line.
Yeah. Truth be told, I was interested in these ruins too.
And I was curious about the ritual that the princess of Caledonia performs here with the Fafnir knight...
What do you mean, old man? Wait... Do you know something about it?
Well... it's complicated. First, let's let the little lady start her ritual.
Absolutely!
I shall begin at once.

The words are difficult to make out. But they have a familiar, yet alien ring to them... You watch quietly as her voice slowly rises to fill the room.

Sir Knight. Please come this way...

The woman unexpectedly calls for you. Her closed eyes open, and she beckons to you with an outstretched hand. You obey her request, noting that she sounds unlike herself, and take her hand.

Of all the people I have met, there is one man that I trust the most... That man is you.

A bell sounds.

The woman's dignified voice resounds. In response, you hear the sound of bells echoing somewhere... The bells reverberate through the room, creating a wave of sound that seems to sink deep into your bodies.

And then an earthquake happens.

Then, as if in answer to the sound of the bells, the earth begins to quake...!

The earthquake stops.

The tremors last for some time before stopping as suddenly as they began. Silence reigns once more over the hall.

A familiar voice makes itself known within you...! You recall this sensation well from the first time you came to Ginnungagap.

...What was that?
My ears feel like they're... ringing.

Unlike before, however, it seems you weren't the only one who heard the voice. All five of you cast about for the voice's origin... but see nothing unusual.

......!
Who speaks!?

I am one guided by the Lady's prayer.

The mysterious voice responds directly to Arianna's question. It would appear that it can hear you, in addition to you hearing it...

First, put your mind at ease, Lady. The ritual had begun the moment you stepped into these lands.

What...!? Whatever do you mean?
The ritual is already underway. It began the moment a Lady and her Knight entered these lands together... In truth... it began when fate brought the two of you together long ago...

What's going on here?
The ritual involves the selection of a new guardian. Normally, it begins when a Lady and her Knight perform it in the Hall of Sealing, where they receive the power of Fafnir. You two, though, are different. Due to an old anomaly, you met when you were young, triggering the ritual then. The mark on Knight's arm is proof enough. To account for the anomaly, the ritual chose a partner early, and waited.
An old anomaly...
Indeed. To compensate for this anomaly and protect this land, Knight's power will be required. You must gain further strength by gaining power through the ordeals. That strength will be the foundation of this land.

And Knight learns a new passive. Though it's called Self-Regenerate instead of Regeneration in Knight's skill list. Anyway, while Knight is Transformed, he will now recover 20% of his max HP at the end of each turn, making him even harder to kill.

Little time remains. When you gain one more power, the ritual will come to its end. The ritual to seal the Calamity that plagues these lands, in the depths of Ginnungagap...

We have to choose every option in order to move on.

What is this ritual about?
The ritual is a trial by which you gain power. A Fafnir Knight needs this power to become more than man.
I... am the Lady of Caledonia. Sadly, I have little to no knowledge regarding this ritual. I was told only to go to the Hall of Sealing in Ginnungagap and pray there with Sir Knight. They told me that a voice would guide my steps from there. If the purpose of the ritual was for Sir Knight to amass power... Then what is my role?
Lady of Caledonia. Daughter of the Mark. Your duty was to select a Fafnir Knight. You alone in this world hold the power to select the next Fafnir. You chose Knight, thereby discharging your most important duty.

What was this 'old anomaly'?
I refer to what occured one hundred years ago... the previous ritual. What's done is done, and I will not dwell upon it. But I will say... there was an error, which greatly diminished our powers. That old anomaly... it is why Ginnungagap is now in ruins, and why the Calamity is stirring again.

What is the Calamity?
The Calamity is an embodiment of evil that slumbers deep in the earth. It is a dreadful thing. They say that when it awakens, it will bring about an end to these lands. We call this bringer of catastrophe, which must be sealed by Fafnir's power, the Calamity.
Then... the reason why Knight...
He changed into a monster because of the Caledonia ritual?
*gasp*...! It was I... who did this to Sir Knight...?

So Arianna is the reason Knight has superpowers. Thanks, Arianna!

Sir Knight... I'm sorry... I... I...!

The woman begins to sob in utter grief and shock.

Do not be swayed by emotion. Do not forget the greater cause. Travel deep into Ginnungagap... into the depths of the earth. When the Fafnir Knight passes through the Door of Boundaries, the ordeals will come to their end.

The voice grows softer and more distant...

Please wait! If we proceed with the ritual... will Sir Knight regain his normal form?
I know that you have been burdened by fate... All I can ask is for you to complete the ritual. Go to the Yggdrasil Labyrinth and defeat a new evil to gain power. When you return, the ritual will come to its close. Knight's fate will be known to you then...

And so, the voice disappears... What could the Black Guardian have meant by “your fate"...? The ambiguous and portentous statement gnaws at you deep inside...

Probably should prod the Black Guardian a bit more.

No matter how you try to raise the Black Guardian again, your voice echoes in the quiet hall with no answer given.

Why don't we go back? Neither of you look very good since the ritual.

Chloe's assessment spurs you to put a hand to your face. Though you weren't conscious of it, you do feel an odd weariness. You think it would be best to return to town for a rest.

You too, Trand. Let's go back.
...... ......
...Yeah, okay.

You decide to leave the ritual hall and return to High Lagaard.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Aug 15, 2016

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The plot thickens!

Dr. Fetus posted:

AHAHAHA! :cawg; That sure was lucky! So yeah, my grand strategy for this fight is to a) make Arachne helpless and b) beat the ever loving tar out of her while she is helpless. So far it's working!

Your emoticon has a typo.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Update 19: The Next Step

Arianna. You don't look so good.
...I'm... I'm all right... Would it... be alright for me to take a rest? I seem to be... exhausted...
You don't look like you feel well, Arianna. I think you should take a rest, too.
Yeah, let's head to the inn.

You think Arianna's going to be okay? She seemed pretty shocked at... well... what happened to you...

She'll be fine.
I... guess you're right. She'll probably be alright by the time morning comes around...
Probably about time we both got some rest as well, huh?

As you lie awake, you hear a knock at your door.

What's wrong?

Are you okay?
Yes, I'm fine.
But I need you to hear this.
It's about your transformation, Sir Knight. I had no knowledge of what was to come. And my ignorance has brought you suffering...
...I am so sorry. But I don't suppose that an apology will suffice at this stage. It would do nothing to remedy the fact that I have unwittingly induced grotesque changes in you.
But... despite this... I wish to apologize to you, Sir Knight.
I am so sorry that I have brought this fate upon you...!

I'm not too worried about it.
Sir Knight...!?
You are so kind to me... When it is you who suffers most...! ...... ...... ...

You already apologized for that.
Sir Knight...
Thank you... If those are your true feelings, then I shall have hope for the future as well.
But there is still something that weighs on my mind. I cannot put a finger on it, but when the Black Guardian spoke of the Calamity and anomaly, it felt very ominous.
It is my duty to perform the ritual on behalf of Caledonia... but is it truly right for me to see it through?
What are your thoughts, Sir Knight?

By the way, all of these dialogue choices in this scene lead to Arianna saying the same thing.

We need to seal the Calamity.
I... see...
You are most likely right. And who can say? We may find a way to restore your humanity as we continue the ritual.
Thank you for listening, Sir Knight. Your kind words have helped me reach a decision. I plan on informing the others tomorrow morning.
I will take my leave now... Once more, thank you, Sir Knight!

Morning.
Morning, Arianna.
...Hey, kid. You're looking awfully chipper this morning.
Indeed! I gave quite a lot of thought to our predicament over the night.
Regarding the ritual, and what happened to Sir Knight...
And what the Black Guardian told us... We are to continue with the ritual, and proceed to the depths of Ginnungagap. As royalty of Caledonia, this is my duty. Will you all aid me in this?
So you've decided to continue on with the ritual, huh...
Yes. As royalty tasked with the ritual, I have a duty to fulfill this.
In addition... It is not merely an obligation of mine. I feel that... it is something that must be done.
Hmmm...
I'll help. I want to help you, Arianna. ...You too. Right, Trand?
Trand. Say something.
Sure. I'll help out... I'm kinda curious about all this stuff that happened a hundred years ago, anyway.
...Well, that's a surprise. I thought you'd just say it wasn't your business, or it's too much of a pain. Wait... Now that I think about it, didn't you say you were interested in the ritual or something, back at Ginnungagap?
...Good memory, kid. Yeah, you got it. This old man's interested in all that ritual stuff.
I need to see for myself... what exactly happened a hundred years ago.
What do you mean by that, Sir Bertrand? Do you have some sort of connection to that ritual a century ago?
Eh, well... It's kinda hard to explain. See, the ritual might have something to do with someone I used to know. Not really too clear on the details, myself. In any case, I want to find out more about this whole ritual thing... so I guess that's why I'm interested.
...So what about you? I figured you'd be the first to sign up. What with your friend's situation, and all.
I... There's just so much that I don't know yet... I dunno. It's hard to decide. I mean, I do want to help Arianna, and it is my mission as part of the Midgard investigation team... Plus there's all that stuff about Knight. That Black Guardian said that Knight has to gain greater power...
But... what happens after Knight gets more power?
That is...
I don't really think anyone can answer that. It all boils down to whether you've got the guts or not. Either Knight gets this power, or he doesn't...
Knight...
Sir Knight.
What are you going to do, Knight?

...What should I do?
That's something only you can decide. None of us should have a say in your decision.

BUT THOU MUST!

Let's continue the ritual.
Thank you, Sir Knight! It gives me hope to know that you'll continue alongside us.
...Yeah. You made up your mind. I can't be left behind, huh...
I'll help out too.
Thank you, everyone!
Well, now we've all decided we're going ahead, what's going to be our first move? Perhaps we must vanquish another powerful monster, in order for Knight to get stronger?
Sounds about right, yeah. I say we try going to the Grand Duchy, first. That old coot might have some new info on the Labyrinth.

By the way, that actually wasn't Arianna's inn scene. The game just forces that on you. We can just go to sleep again to get a different one.

As you sit there, you hear a knock at your door. Who could it be at this hour...?

Bertrand came in first place for this Stratum's inn scenes, so let's get on that.

A short one.

This place is a big change from where I grew up. It's so different… but for some reason it always reminds me of my home.
To be honest, I may not look it, but I'm actually nobility... 'Course, it was in name only. We didn't have any big luxuries. I was just some kid from the slums. I'd look out the window at night, and there wouldn't be a single light for miles. All of a sudden, the head family tells us they need an heir, and I get adopted and dragged off to the city.
Man... that was such a pain. You can't be a noble unless you know all their customs, traditions, and dumbass etiquette. ...I guess it was all pretty useless, since the family eventually fell into ruin, and in the end, they had their noble status revoked.
...All I've got left is this family crest on this shield.

How did that happen?
Well, it's complicated... When you're a noble, you end up with a lot of enemies no matter what you do. I was surprised Arianna recognized this crest. Didn't really expect anybody to remember a family like mine.
A lot's happened since my family lost its nobility. I traveled all over... I've done things that I can't really talk about. ...Living a life like that... I think it made me forget what was actually important to me.
I heard you saved Arianna's life. Back when you were kids, I mean... And now... you still continue to protect the princess, but as her bodyguard. ...Hey, Knight. What does it feel like to be able to protect someone?

You should know, Bertrand.
Wh--...You... you gotta give a guy a warning before you say something like that, man. Got me right in the weak spot.
But you're right. I was denying it, and pretending I'd forgotten about it ages ago... but I guess I knew all along. I guess, all this time... all I wanted was to be able to protect someone. I couldn't admit it, but... all this time, I knew what I actually felt...
Knight, I asked you this already, but... humor me. Do you really enjoy your life right now? ...Are you truly happy?

Hah. Yeah, guess it's not like me to ask a question like that. Don't worry, I get it. ...Just forget I said anything, I s'pose.
...You want to head back to the inn? Arianna's probably gonna chew me out if I keep you out here for too long.

Regina is the only one who has something new to say after Arachne's defeat. So let's head to the Grand Duchy.

...... We were able to begin the ritual... but unfortunately, we were unable to complete it. We were told that to protect the world from the Calamity, Knight must gain further power...
...... ...Hrmm. To protect the world from the Calamity... I do not quite understand what this is about, but if the land is indeed in danger, then we must take action. But it seems in order to do so, you must defeat yet another powerful monster...
Is there anything that comes to mind?
Hrm. To be frank, our own investigations of the Labyrinth have not gone beyond the second Stratum. If you seek a foe greater than the Flame Demon, then I fear you will have to seek them out yourselves. However, with your prowess, I imagine that wouldn't be a problem at all.

Isn't there anything you know?
I'm afraid not... Truly, the authorities on the Labyrinth ahead would likely be the very explorers that have already ascended that high. And, also... if you plan on continuing upward through the Labyrinth, there is something that I would like to ask of you. I apologize for my selfishness. I hesitate to ask for your aid, and distract you from your own personal goals... However, this is a matter that is of utmost importance to High Lagaard. I would like you to obtain something for me. Would you please accept this mission?

If we talk to Dubois now...

What we require of you are plants called Snow Blooms. They are necessary ingredients in a certain medicine for... a certain someone.
Are they sick?
Yes, although... I'm sorry, but I must ask that you inquire no further.
Huh...?
We understand. Tell us, Minister... Where might the ingredient for this medicine be found?
Well, it's been seen on the 12th floor. We sent a cadre of guards... but alas, none have returned with a Snow Bloom. There are a few continuing the search on the 12th floor even now, so I ask that you work with them in finding the flowers. We require a total of four Snow Blooms. I bid you good luck on your mission.

Dubois has new stuff to say when we talk with him again.

I hear that the new Stratum seems to be a frozen forest... Exercise caution as you proceed. … The winters of the country can be very harsh. I do not claim to understand all your hardships, but I can sympathize.

We're looking for a powerful monster anyway, so that's fine... I just wonder who's sick.

How am I supposed to know?

Huh? Knight? Why aren't you saying anything?
Let's not pursue that line of thought any further. If they're being squirrelly about it, there's probably a reason. Notice how they made the request of us even when they didn't want to reveal that bit of information.
I-I see... Being an important figure like that must be tough.

Now the town dialogue changes, but most of it is the same. Cass' doesn't, so let's check out his.

...Yeh know, I was just thinkin'. Yeh lot ever think about leavin' Midgard, and becoming real explorers?

I don't have any intentions.
Yeah, I figured. Don't know too much about it, but it's a huge organization, right? Probably for the best. Well, it looks like yer investigation's not over yet, so I'll still be seein' yeh around.

That doesn't sound bad…
Hah, were yeh really thinking 'bout it!? Go on, throw away yer stable job and get into the risky explorer business! ...Like anyone in their right mind would do that! Haw haw haw!

Okay, let's get to exploring the Labyrinth.

Oh? Where was this? I saw nothing like what you speak of...

You take a better look at the mound of snow before you, certain of what you saw. Though it's hard to make out, you do indeed find a translucent stone shining amidst the snow. You may reach towards the stone if you wish.

May as well.

You take hold of the stone gently so as not to disturb the mound of snow.

Whoa, it's practically see-through… I'm surprised you noticed it in all this snow.

It was a big deal.
C'mon, don't be so modest--wait, that wasn't modest at all! Hmph… You almost had me fooled!
Ahahah... It was a sizable deal indeed, Sir Knight.

You put the discovery away with your belongings as you return to your investigation.

As you carefully tread down the perilous, snowy path, Flavio raises a warning. He follows this up by silently motioning towards the south side of the snowy area.

A wolf monster... It's on the small side, but are you picking anything up from it, Knight?
Mm. If it's a special one, we need to defeat it.

You are aware without their prompting that you must find a strong monster to leech the power from... You focus on the wolf's nature in hopes of answering their question. Alas, you sense nothing out of the ordinary from it.

Then that one's not it.
I should think not.
Why, though we stood here and spoke plainly, it still has not noticed us.
Maybe because it can't see us. Should we be careful of it?

You may use caution so as not to enter the wolf's line of sight, or dispatch it and remove the obstacle in your path.

Two smaller snowballs are placed one atop the other... It seems to be a sculpture.

A snowman.
How adorable! Might someone who ventured on ahead of us have made it?
If another explorer had the free time to put this together...
It might mean there's not many monsters around here to worry about. Anyone else wanna take a break?
You sure are eager to take breaks, old man...

You can rest for a while here near the snowman, or ignore it and hurry on.

Let's rest. If you don't, you'll get into a battle.

You decide to rest your weary feet near the small snowman for a while. Arianna takes the opportunity to look at the snowman and smile.

Haha, this brings back memories. I recall playing in the snow this way when I was a girl in Caledonia.

Does it snow much there?
Hm? Does... snow not always blanket the ground in winter? Is that not the case where the Midgard Library is located? To think something so ordinary for me would be different...
That's most interesting. We come from such different places, yet here we are together now.
Oh, right, we grew up in completely different circumstances, huh? It feels more strange than interesting to me.
Really?
Yeah. People from similar backgrounds tended to flock together at the Library.
Did I never tell you guys? Knight and I were at the orphanage around the same time, which is why we're friends.
Huh. Being with people who aren't family is a little weird for me.
You have always been with Sir Bertrand, yes, Dame Chloe? Ah...! If you have traveled across many lands, have your journeys ever taken you to Caledonia?
Uhh... Well, kinda.
The winters were harsh, but the springs were beautiful to make up for it. Great country. Lots of flowers.
To be certain!

You spend some time in conversation near the snowman. The peaceful, idle talk helps to naturally calm your minds.

Well, I think that's enough of a break. Let's get going!

With plenty of rest, you leave the area in a good mood.

Beyond the room packed with wolves is a surprising sight: a room whose floor is composed of entirely of ice!

Let's test it.
I'll try it too.

Sharing the black-robed girl's motto of “test everything," you both reach towards the icy floor. As soon as you place your palm on its surface, you understand how cold and slick it is...

What is the verdict, Sir Knight?

The ice seems quite thick, as far as you can tell. You foresee no problem with the whole party traveling across it. Still, it is very different from any ordinary floor, and you should take great caution while walking on it.

I walk on the ice.

The moment you step onto the icy floor, you find yourself unable to stop slipping forward until you reach the end. Luckily, the bank of snow at the end breaks your fall as you tumble into it...

Well, this is a problem. Once we're on the ice, we can't stop until we hit something.
It's dangerous. Especially if we run into a monster along the way.
Still, it's a speedy way to travel...! I quite enjoyed myself!
You sure are carefree, kid. This ice is a serious damper on our plans.

Let's just go with the flow.
Whatever will be, will be, huh? That's a pretty bold outlook, kid.

Knowing the idiosyncrasies of the slippery floor now, you search for the best path to proceed...

Are those monsters?
Looks like it. It's hard to see with all the snow, but I count at least ten. But I don't think they've noticed us yet, so we could probably get the drop on them now if we wanted.

You agree with the young man's assessment that you could catch the monsters off guard if you act now. If you wish, you may charge into the fray, or you may slink away quietly.

ATTACK! :black101:

Alright, here goes...
Wait... Whoa!?

As you begin your charge, the snow underfoot melts, revealing another snow creature!

Hey, there's more of them! Did we stumble into these guys' nest!?
So many... We're in trouble if they all attack at once.

You do not like your chances against the horde either, but you are surrounded and cannot escape! Yet at that moment... the monsters display an odd change in behavior.

Wh-What is going on? They've started clustering in one place...

The hostility directed at you does not diminish as the horde of monsters clumps into a single area... To your shock, the size of the central being grows larger by the second until it develops into a gargantuan monster!

WHAT!? H-How does that work!? There were tons of them here, right!? How did they become one monster!?
Now that's a surprise... But won't it be easier to run from one big guy than a bunch of little ones?

Bertrand has a point. You can stand and face the united monster, or attempt to flee the scene.

Screw that! We can take this guy!

With a single enemy to unite against, you see hope that you may win the day. You face the gigantic snow beast and draw your weapons!

Good grief. Well, no way around it...! This old man's got your back!
It looks strong... but you never really know until you face it!

Your comrades, inspired by your courage, take up their own weapons to face the hulking snow monster. As it watches you stand your ground, the brute halts, seeming uneasy.

Hm...? It's not coming at us.

As you watch it guardedly, you hear a multitude of piping voices coming from the giant monster's mouth.

It sounds like... a great many people, all quarrelling with each other... Perhaps the monsters which banded together are at an impasse on what to do?

This is a clear opportunity if ever there was one, and you decide to charge the beast while it still hesitates!

The Snow Swarm is an event miniboss. Shouldn't give you too much trouble.

It doesn't drop anything, but you do need to fight it in order to complete your Monster Codex.

Whew... I didn't think they could fuse like that. What is the deal with the creatures in this Stratum?
Hm? Is there something by the monster?

Chloe points, and you look to see a collection of beautiful stones near where the monster fell. You pick up the stones, which you assume are the remains of the fused beast, before making your exit.

And that's the end of the 11th floor!

This is where the guard asks us the find the Snow Blooms. Now that we got to a new floor, let's go back to town.

There, that should do it... You need to be more careful, dear.
... Hm? When did the bag open? There's something strange with this bag.
Stop blaming an innocent bag, already. You just forgot to close it.
This may be a peaceful little neighborhood, but you still need to be careful! While I was out the other day, I tripped and fell on the road. Apparently, the the stone pavement was loose on a hill. I landed right on my hip, and it's been sore all day! Huh? What's my point? Um... oh, right. There's more dangers out there than just the Labyrinth, so you all still need to stay cautious. Bahaha!

As you sit there, you hear a knock at your door. Who could it be at this hour...?

Flavio was the next party member chosen for the inn scenes.

Don't come in without knocking.
What? I did knock!
Anyways, the files I asked the Library to send to us just arrived.
It didn't seem like Arianna knew too much on the details of the ritual, right? So I thought the Library might have more on it, and I asked them to try and dig up something for us...
But it doesn't look like they found much. All the information here is stuff we already knew. I guess if it's a ritual specific to the royal family, information on it is hard to come by for common folks.
Augh... this is such a pain! If they couldn't keep good records, they should have handed the whole thing to the Library!

I agree.
How much technology do you think we've lost because of bad record-keeping? I know it's not the Library's place to butt into other countries' cultural heritage, but honestly... This seems different. Arianna's the one carrying out the ritual, and even she doesn't know anything about it... It's a little fishy, if you ask me, but I guess all we can do is try to find out more on it around here.
We're a hand-picked investigation team, after all! We can't give up that easy!

...If you say so.
You're starting to sound like a certain old man. Geez... at least pretend to care.
The folks at the Library have high hopes for you. If we do well here, then they'll have to take notice. You better believe I'm giving 100%!

You should be pumped for yourself.
Huh? Me?
Hmm... I guess I never really thought of it that way. Everyone talks about wanting to make their own class, or doing independent research... But ever since that whole mess where you transformed, and lost all memory of it... That's all I ever really thought about.
I was always afraid something was going to happen to you again, and wondered what I should do if it did...

You worry too much.
I can't really help it. I'm really worried about you, you know.
The reason they never took your transformation seriously was partly my fault...
Something for myself, hm...? I guess I'll think about it some. I can't spend the rest of my life at the orphanage, after all...
Sorry to barge in, anyway. We've got an early start tomorrow, so I'm going to get to bed.

You better sleep in your own room.
I said I was sorry! I'll make sure to go back to my own room before falling asleep from now on! ...Actually, better to make sure I rest before I get that tired again.
Well, I'll see you tomorrow.

It is late, and you decide to rest in preparation for tomorrow...

And since we reached a new Stratum, here's a new audio only conversation that plays here.

I didn't want to say anything, but do you really have Chloe's best interests in mind?
Uh, like I said, she just followed me and-
There you go with that again! Now see here, you're her father. You need to take care of her!
Wha-ugh, like I said, she's not my daughter!
Stop making up excuses!
Whoa, that's new. The old man's losing the battle,

Abigail doesn't have anything new to say in Story, but here's another audio only conversation that plays there now.

*Yawns* Sheesh. What a pain.
Are you tired, Mr. Bertrand?
Nah, just bored. I'm not that interested in shopping, either, so... I wish I could just stay and sleep in.
Ha ha! Then I can I recommend some medicine to help you sleep even better? We get customers from time to time, who ask for a drug so strong, that they might not ever wake up again!
Uh, kid? That's kinda...

MOVING ON! :catstare:

Anyway, Regina has nothing new to say, but here's the audio conversation with her for this Stratum.

Hey.
Yes...?
I completely understand that this place is in your hands, and that your guild plays an integral part in running it...
Th-thank you?
That said, letting that lazy middle aged man take over a seat is most definitely not happening!
Our deepest apologies!
We'll move him at once! Dude! Wake up, old man!
*Snores* *Mumbles*

Likewise, Cass has nothing new to say normally. So here's the audio conversation for this Stratum. Too bad I don't know how to rip audio tracks. This is one that you should really hear for yourself.

Bartender. The usual.
Right you are. Here.
I don't recall ordering this.
It's for you-know-who. It's that time of year, idn it?
Yeah. You're right.
You-know-who? Pray tell, what are you two up to?
Playing it being hard boiled.

The drunk is back though.

...Listen up. I'm bein' serious. I can't believe a sweet little girl like that Arianna is goin' to the forest… What's she doin' in there!? I've never seen a girl like that! If someone told me she was an angel, I wouldn't doubt it for a second! A girl like that, in the middle of the Labyrinth... Hey, you kids! Make sure to protect her! Got it!? Gah, I'm too worried... I need another drink to take the edge off! Bartender, gimme another!

Here's the audio conversation that takes place at the Explorers Guild, since Marion has nothing new to say in Story mode.

Every place like this is the same.
Oh? Do you have experience with guilds in other nations?
U-Uh, well I guess you could call them different nations.
I would definitely like to hear more details. Information about other guilds is hard to come by. I would appreciate it if you'd share what you know for the sake of the guild.
Ugh. I should've kept my big mouth shut.

Oh hey, Dubois has something new to say.

Is that so! Your skills are unparalleled. The prowess of the Midgard investigation team never ceases to amaze me. Now, I don't believe I've said so, but those who reach the flying castle will be rewarded with not only wealth, but titles of nobility! ...Does that, ah... does that not strike your interest? Ahem, my apologies. It is just that... You are such skilled explorers, and my wishful thinking got the better of me. Your main goal at hand is, of course, to complete Caledonia's ritual. I wish you the best of luck.

And here's the audio conversation that plays here.

Is it my imagination or...? Oh, I feel I've seen your face before.
Huh? Oh, it's tough to forget a handsome face like this.
Hm. I'm getting the feeling that it was indeed merely my imagination.
He completely ignored me.
Don't worry. You're good looking, Trand.
Hey, you're just gonna make the old man feel worse.
Oh thanks a lot, you guys.

We're done with the 12th floor, but we're not gonna tackle the rest of it in the next update. No, next time...

Something you probably and definitely shouldn't be reading at work!

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jun 9, 2016

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Dr. Fetus posted:

We're done with the 12th floor, but we're not gonna tackle the rest of it in the next update. No, next time...

Something you probably and definitely shouldn't be reading at work!

Remember how the Classic mode version of Hidden Hot Springs was barely anything out of the ordinary? Oh boy, does Story have a rude surprise for you.

Incidental fun fact: Hidden Hot Springs was apparently one of the last additions to EO2U--the Gentle Toad is near the end of the enemy table, and most of its skills are also near the end of the skill table(s).

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Update 47: Just Two Quests

Ah... I feel so much stronger after yesterday!
Mrrrnr.
Mhm, good morning, Freyja. Heard you and Stardust trounced a dragon yesterday.
It was nothing, honestly... Um, where are Realga and Stardust?
Last I saw, getting practically-dragged to breakfast by Jackie. Think Ranger was tagging along too.
Hrrrrm...

Here's everyone's final builds. I rested Ursa and Realga to get them back to normal builds, instead of wasting tons of skill points on attacks skills I'm not gonna use on either of them. By this point, most of my skill points are just going into passives.

Here are two things I unlocked. Exciting!

Volt Whip (+204 ATK, +5 AGI, normal attacks become Cut+Volt) is unlocked by selling 1 Emperor Barbel. I'd buy this for Freyja if it wasn't ridiculously out of our price point right now--it costs a whopping 420k en.

Hasta (+47 ATK) is unlocked by selling 5 Aragonites and 5 Spotted Carapaces. Yeah, I didn't unlock this super-earlygame spear until just now.

This is the spot we have to go to for Nupital preparations.

SYSTEM: He spares you a glance, then looks away disinterestedly--turning his eyes back up to the sky.

Your son asked us to come talk to you about his marriage.
SYSTEM: You tell him that you came to speak to him regarding his son's marriage, and he lets out a small, weary laugh.
Shoulda figured. Y'know...this is a nice place. Peaceful, isn't it? Something...nostalgic.

All I remember about this place is getting stressed out from being chased by dinosaurs.

My wife used to tell my son to grow up to be a strong man that can protect someone... 'Course, I feel the same way.
SYSTEM: The guard takes out a necklace with a vivid green gemstone from his pocket. Staring at it, he speaks again, voice wistful.
I only proposed to my wife when I could prove I was a strong man. I had to show I had the grit to see it through. ...Just wish my son could prove he had that resolve, instead of having to rely on someone else...
Kinda hard when you're born with a large brain in exchange for minimum muscle.
Sorry to turn you away after all that, but I won't approve of the marriage. I'd like to be alone now, if you don't mind.
SYSTEM: It appears staying further will do no good. You should go back to the bar to report to his son...
If this turns into an endless back and forth, I'm just gonna go back to bed until one of them gives in.
B-but the reward is 40k ental...
Even that much money isn't worth this.

Oh, welcome back. Were you able to meet my father?
Yes. Uh... It didn't go very well.
...I...see. Then he wouldn't let me...after all. Well...how was my father?
He got really wistful, and pulled out a necklace with an emerald in it.
What? An emerald necklace? P-Please, wait! Did father say anything else to you?
Uh, um... H-he said that you...should be a strong man...
He said I should be a strong man...and said I should show my resolve without relying on others...? Hm... But how do I prove my resolve...? Wait... That necklace... Did father...? In that case, that quarry must be on the 2nd floor...! Maybe there's another way...but maybe, if I can do the same thing my father did...!
What the hell are you babbling about?
I'm sorry, everyone! I need to go find that ore! I'll take care of it from here! No, I... I must do it on my own!

Just something about an emerald necklace. He's headed to the quarry on 2F to get ore, I assume.
...I see. So that's how it turned out... But that kid can barely swing a sword. Tch... I'm kinda worried. He said he's gotta do it on his own, but...if anything happens to him, his lass is gonna cry her eyes out. Could yeh go after him?
AaaauuAAAGH! Fine, we'll do it! Where the hell is this quarry?!
Yeh're askin' me? I'm not an adventurer, yeh know. I'd never remember somethin' like th...wait! I just remembered! There's a rumor that someone saw emerald ore at a mining spot on the 2nd floor. If I remember right, it was northwards.
Ah, the mining spot that has salt!
Ask me again if yeh can't find it. Sorry to push this on yeh, but yeh're the only one I can ask.

You MORON! STOP!
SYSTEM: You draw your weapons, but the son barks an order not to interfere. Battered and hurt, he charges the monster head-on. The guardsman's son is holding his own, but each successful hit from the monster nearly sends him to the ground... He takes hit after punishing hit...but then, seizing his chance, he lunges forward and lands a sudden counterattack! He has only time to grin in triumph before the enraged monster slams into him, sending him flying back off his feet! The guardsman's son hits the stone wall with a painful thud, and he collapses forward, with no strength left.
A simple mole. Absolutely no challenge at all.
SYSTEM: You swiftly move between the monster and the unconscious scholar, and raise your weapons. With a roar, the monster charges!

This is a Mole with 929 HP, 47 STR, and Destructive Claw, aka that skill that White Apes had. There's no point to showing off this battle, because nothing intersting happens in it.

A-Aghh... Wh-What happened...? Where's the...the monster...?
We took care of it, don't worry.
...It's... you...? I see... I couldn't defeat the monster on my own...after all?
Nope, and you were, frankly, kind of an idiot to even try.
Gah...how humiliating... O-Oh, right! The ore! Where...where's the ore!? Phew, it's here... I need to show my father this ore... That should show him...what my resolve is...!
SYSTEM: With that, the guardsman's son stands up...but staggers, badly wounded. Continuing would be impossible for him.
No. Absolutely not. With wounds like that, you are going back to town, and walking to the hospital immediately. I don't think Dr. Stiles is busy today--just ask for him. Lemme patch up the worst lacerations real quick...
Are you going to charge him for that...?
Nope, I'll just put it on my normal bill.
SYSTEM: Leaving him to his death would be unthinkable. You suggest that you deliver the ore, and he seek medical attention. He protests vehemently, but cannot argue against his wounds for long. He sadly hands you the ore, and uses an Ariadne Thread. After seeing him off, you decide to head to the small room where his father is, in the northeast of the 2nd floor.

SYSTEM: He notices you approach, but simply turns his gaze to the sky.

He... He fought a vicious monster alone, just for your approval.
That so...? I see. I guess he was always like that. He always watched for my reaction on anything he did, and was dead set on trying to live up to my expectations. ...But I think he's changed. I think...he'll get married, even if I don't approve of it.
Are you REALLY sure about that?
Look, just see this...
SYSTEM: The guard stands quietly, looking into the distance, and you hand him the bag with the ore inside.
Hah...a rough-cut chunk like this...? He's a smart boy, but sometimes he really misses the point...just like me. It might have been a bit misguided, but I guess this is his resolve... and his answer for me.
SYSTEM: The guard laughs quietly, but follows it with a deep sigh. After a moment, he turns in your direction.
...When my son showed up and told me he was getting married, and becoming a scholar... I was glad to hear it. If a child just keeps following in his parents' footsteps, then he's just going to be a child forever. But he thought for himself, and decided something on his own...and showed me that he had learned independence. I'm sorry, but would you return to town and tell my son this? You will never have my approval for your marriage. Don't expect any handouts or support when life gets rough. Get married, and I'll disown you. You'll be on your own from now on.
Oh, COME ON! Just reconcile already so we can be done with this!
...I'll take his ore with me. It's too rough to make a proper necklace out of. You should give him this instead.

I HATE THIS. ...Okay, no, it actually is kinda nice, but... What are you even trying to say?

SYSTEM: Was the guard giving the couple his blessing, in his own way...? When you have time, go to the bar to report this to the guardsman's son!
No answer, huh? Bah, back to the bar.

Oh, everyone, welcome back. I'm sorry I caused you trouble earlier...
Did you go to the hospital, like I told you to?
How are your wounds? Are you feeling better?
...Oh, my condition? Ahaha... Well, it's probably going to ache for a long time, but I'm getting better. I'll live. And, also...could you please bring that emerald ore to my father?
We did. He took the ore, and said he'd never approve. Then he gave us this necklace.
...Huh? Something from father? That's--That's mother's necklace... But why...? My father gave this to my mother, and he always took great care of...hmm? What's this on the back...? Father's writing? This is mother's name...and my fiancee's name?
Please tell me that means what I think it means.
Hahah...ahahahaha! This... I guess this is his way of congratulating me. Seriously, what an awkward man...
Well, it worked out in the end. Congratulations, incidentally!
Oh, thank the gods, we're done. ...Also, yeah, congrats.
...Thank you very much for your help. I left your reward with Cass, so please accept my gratitude! Now, I have a new duty to fulfill--to deliver this necklace to a very important person. So...please excuse me. Everyone...thank you so very much for your help.
Best of luck to the both of you.

Hey, I heard about what happened. Like father, like son, I guess... They're both drat weird in their own ways.
You don't have to tell me twice.
I guess the dad went to a friend of his son's to get the bride's name, just to get it engraved and make a statement... Haw haw haw... The old coot's soft after all, huh? Yeh wouldn't guess it, but I'm a sap for this kinda story...
W-well, Realga is t-- Oops...
...WHO TOLD YOU? Screw it, whatever, I'll deal with you later. Just get on with it, Cass.
I figure he knew it the whole time...that his son was already a grown man. He can stand on his own now, and do what needs doin'. Well, anyhow, the quest is complete! Here, make sure to take yer reward! See yeh next time!

40k en for a quest that's mostly just dialogue plus one easy event fight isn't bad at all.

I sent the Byeahs out after that to get all the materials for The courageous knight.

They also got this thing. Brawn Rings give +7 STR to the holder, which is a pretty drat big boost to physical damage. I put this on Asriel later in the update, since he needs all the help he can get to stay competitive.

Ey, welcome back! Let's see...ah, yep, that's all 3 of them awright! That's this quest taken care of, then. The Knight piece is yers now! It's takin' a lot of work, but it looks like yer chess set is really comin' together. They do say haste makes waste, eh? Take it slow and steady, kids! And I should know! I'm used to waitin' around! Ahaw haw haw haw! Here yeh go--yer reward. Only a little more left to go. Don't give up! Awright, see yeh next time!

Just one piece left.

Getting Revive back up to where it once was.

And maxing out Formula Mastery on Stardust for more tiny bonus damage.

And here's some stuff I unlocked.

Crescent Sword (+139 ATK) is unlocked by selling 5 Moonstones.

Blitz Staff (+103 ATK, +30 TP, +4 TEC is unlocked by selling 3 Tourmalines.

Bright Sandals (+23 ATK, +2 STR, +2 AGI) is unlocked by selling 1 Tourmaline. Those bonus stats are pretty nice--I buy sets for both Asriel and Freyja.

Bind Charm (+30% resistance to all binds) is made from 1 Shine Rock. I'd rather have the individual Guards, since immunity to one specific type of bind is a lot more useful than 30% resistance to all of them.

Next time: 24F. Because while this update is short, it's also simultaneously long enough that it'd cause the update to ram squarely into the character limit with 24F. Sorry!

Rea fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jun 9, 2016

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
I think Dr. Fetus is right about needing to hear the audio conversation between Cass and Bertrand for myself, because I have no idea what they're going on about, unless Bertrand is gonna pour one out for his homies or something. That's more 'rapper' than 'hard boiled', though.

vdate fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jun 9, 2016

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib
IIRC they are pretending to be film noir characters having a vaguely portentous conversation about a mysterious but tragic past.

(also "Playing at being hard boiled" seems more likely)

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Somehow, one-off minibosses feel... wronger? in Etrian Odyssey than they do in other games. Maybe because normal fights are already kind of challenging?

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Update 48: rd_heavenlykeep

...And that's, by far, the dumbest thing I've seen in that anthology.
Soldiers falling in love with each other over the course of a few months, having children near-immediately, and then sending them to a space-time pocket that ages them up rapidly?
Yep.
...That IS dumb.
I mean, I already told you about that Millenium Girl story. Are you really surprised after that?
Not entirely. It does beg the question of how people in the past predicted Etria, though.

Only two floors left before we reach the end of the main story. Let's get going.

This is a pretty big floor, so get comfortable.

Nightmare
HP: 960, STR: 47, TEC: 35, VIT: 37, AGI: 39, LUC: 37
Skills:
  • Nightmare: Uses the head. Attempts to inflict sleep and fear on one row, with a 40% base chance. Has an 80% speed modifier.
  • Night Run: Uses the legs. Deals 140% melee STR-based Bash damage to one target, with splash damage. Has no speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
Drops:
  • Normal: Black Hoof. 35% chance. Sells for 640 en. 4 needed to make Dark Horse Bow (+120 ATK). 6 needed to make Dark Horse Glove (+28 DEF, can be equipped by beasts). 8 needed to make All Mist (+20% party Fire/Ice/Volt resistance). 1 Black Hoof and 1 Moonstone needed to make Wild Collar (+67 DEF).
    "Pitch-black hooves of a dark horse. It's easy to work with, and valued for crafting."
  • Conditional: Sleeping Hoof (Kill while asleep). 100% chance. Sells for 1090 en. 1 needed to make Forest Runners (Survivalist ultimate non-body armor; +37 DEF, +20 HP, +3 AGI).
    "Hoof gained by putting a Nightmare to sleep. A volatile power is sealed within."
  • Ingredient: Fatty Horse. 2-5 given. 4 needed to make Steak Tartare (Western Food 5; +10 STR). 4 needed to make Horse Shabu Shabu (Japanese Food 5; disables rare breeds).
    "A very fatty meat."
Damage resistances:
100% 100% 100% 50% 50% 50%
Disable resistances:
50% 50% 50% 50% 50% 50% 50%
50% 50% 50%
150% 150% 150%

An otherworldly horse that gallops wildly, rarely stopped to rest.

Nightmares can seriously mess you up if they use Nightmare. Otherwise, the primary target of Night Run will probably be left hurting quite a bit, but will probably live.

Let's see what a level 10 Chase Heal can do.

Urrgh!
A bunch of bandages, coming right--

Rrrr.
At least have the courtesy to let me know you can patch yourself up...

That's the Auto-Heal Legendary Grimoire effect Ursa has equipped activating--it's a 50% chance for Ursa to restore a flat 50% of her max HP, remember. Combined with Chase Heal, unless Ursa gets one-shot by something, we can say goodbye to her ever dying from here on out.

All those bandages, wasted.

Um, please don't trample on us.

I remember tasting sliced rattlesnake, long ago. Tasted like rooster.
Wouldn't eating a rattlesnake poison you?

Nighty-night, Nightmare.

Okay, everyone, just remember what hat guy's guild drunkenly sputtered at us.

Huge Statue
HP: 2028, STR: 50, TEC: 37, VIT: 40, AGI: 30, LUC: 38
Skills:
  • Revenge Claw: Uses the arms. Deals 190% melee STR-based Cut damage to one row. Has an 80% speed modifier and 110 base accuracy.
Drops:
  • Normal: Meteor Fragment. 65% chance. Sells for 1190 en. 3 needed to make Spangenhelm (+33 DEF, +10 TP, can be equipped by Beasts). 5 needed to make Meteor Nail (+150 ATK). 10 needed to make Brawn Ring (+7 STR). 1 Meteor Fragment and 2 Tourmalines needed to make Poleaxe (+154 ATK).
    "Part of a Huge Statue, it can't be pierced by a blade. Skill is needed to craft with it."
Damage resistances:
50% 50% 100% 100% 100% 125%
Disable resistances:
50% 50% 50% 0% 50% 100% 50%
0% 100% 0%
50% 100% 50%

A colossus with a strong shell for protection and claws which never go dull.

Huge Statues have slightly special AI. They won't do anything when they're at full HP. Once they take even 1 point of damage, however, they will start spamming Revenge Claw, which can very easily just kill our entire front row in one go. They thankfully have no resistance to arm binds, meaning as long as you have a Dark Hunter or Hexer, you can (usually) deal with these things handily.

Crap.

I hate Swallow Strike sometimes.

And using Volt Formula, evidently, isn't worth it.

Alright, there, I'm being proactive this time.

I had Realga use Overheal on the last turn, since she wasn't going to do anything else.

That's more like it.

Perfect timing, too.

It's more efficient for Asriel to just use Flame Grater on Huge Statues instead of Swallow Strike, since that doesn't incur the 50% damage penalty due to the Huge Statue's resistances.

Huge Statues are manageable on their own, but can become real pains when combined with other monsters.

Someone mind telling me why we're taking bits of the floor?
It looks like an ingredient.
Alright then, new question: in what way does the floor look like an ingredient?

What kind of person designs an automaton with only one arm?

Silver Gunman
HP: 942, STR: 45, TEC: 45, VIT: 36, AGI: 42, LUC: 33
Skills:
  • Silver Bullet: Uses the arms. Deals 90% ranged TEC-based Fire damage to 3 random targets. Can hit the same target only once. Has a 60% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
Drops:
  • Normal: Gold Shell. 40% chance. Sells for 632 en. 1 needed to make Sagacity Earring (+5 TEC). 4 needed to make Winged Spear (+144 ATK). 6 needed to make Composite Armor (+70 DEF). 10 needed to make Onimaru (+164 ATK). 8 Gold Shells and 2 Black Gelatins needed to make Kaiser Shield (+46 DEF).
    "Piece of armor for a mechanical gunman. It seems manmade, but its origin is unknown."
  • Ingredient: Empty Chassis. 1 given. 1 needed to make Tortoise Takikomi Gohan (Japanese Food 5; 80% of adding 7 levels to newly-generated Grimoires).
    "Silver shell of a gunman."
Damage resistances:
100% 100% 100% 100% 100% 125%
Disable resistances:
0% 0% 0% 0% 0% 0% 0%
50% 50% 50%
200% 200% 200%

A humaniform machine with a particularly deadly firearm.

Silver Gunmen are annoying if you have no way to deal with Silver Bullet, but otherwise there's not much else to them.

200% resistance to arm binds means that it's incredibly easy to stop Silver Gunmen from doing anything.

Seems like that whip's jammed up whatever makes that gun work.

No trouble, really.

Asriel's skill point goes into Peerless Stance.

SYSTEM: You draw closer to find large, rainbow-colored fruits beyond anything you've seen before growing on them. Though their color is strange to you, they may be safe to eat...
If that strange food from the machine was safe to eat, these are probably safe.
SYSTEM: The fruit feels so light as you pick it that you wonder if there is anything inside. You take a wary bite... The fruit's texture is soft, like cotton, but juice erupts from it with each chew until it fills your mouth! The strangely enjoyable texture and perfect, sweet-sour taste enthralls you as you devour the entire fruit!

SYSTEM: You glance around and notice that some of the fruits are not yet ripe. By the time tomorrow comes, the fruits will surely be edible... You are already looking forward to eating more of the fruit as you return to your investigation, feeling greatly satisfied.

This encounter looks incredibly mean, but as long as you just have your damage dealers only go for the Forest Bat, the Huge Statue won't touch you.

SYSTEM: It seems to have been neglected for years, but it somehow manages to catch your interest.
Tyler said pushing these buttons makes a voice play...
SYSTEM: Though pressing it seems to accomplish nothing, before long a disembodied voice sounds.
Succeeded...machine...body... But why...? ...Leave...earth... You...leave...behind... Your...research...gene will...people...forever... Ark plan...failed... No, I...continue...even alone...
SYSTEM: The mysterious voice abruptly ends there. You cock your head, marveling at the strange phenomenon, before returning to your quest.
Sounds like there was drama on the ark that we didn't know about.
Shame we can't find any records beyond these buttons.

Freyja got a level up from a random encounter. I opted to have her start investing in Curb ATK Up instead of HP Up, since Ursa being on the team means she shouldn't be taking too many hits.

Another boring encounter gave Ursa a level up, which I use to give her slightly more HP.

After seeing that empty space in the map, I did some backtracking to get the secret area. Soma Primes are pretty useful, I guess.

I went back to town at this point because I'd already blown most everyone's Force Breaks dealing with irritating encounters.

Here's some food, too.

Beggar's Fowl gives the party +80% resistance to fear. There's one part of the Overlord fight that this can help greatly with.

Horse Shabu Shabu disables rare breed encounters. I can't think of any situation where you'd really want that.

Steak Tartare increases the party's STR by 10. This massively boosts most physical damage dealers', well, damage.

Stone Galette increases the party's TEC by 10. Alchemists obviously benefit from this quite a lot, but aside from that, it's not as universally good as the Steak Tartare. Sovereigns benefit from it for Link Order damage, I suppose.

I eat the Stone Galette because Stardust is my primary encounter clearer, and +10 TEC means she's even better at that job.

And new campaigns before I go.

And here's some random bits of equipment I unlocked.

Poleaxe (+154 ATK) is unlocked by selling 1 Meteor Fragment and 2 Tourmalines.

Wild Collar (+67 DEF) is unlocked by selling 1 Black Hoof and 1 Moonstone.

Spangenhelm (+33 DEF, +10 TP, can be equipped by Beasts) is unlocked by selling 3 Meteor Fragments.

Black Chausses (+21 DEF, +10 HP) is unlocked by selling 4 Coal Bones.

...Why are we fighting this thing?
I cannot let a machine surpass my skill with a blade!
Do we ever have a sensible reason for anything?

Sky Metal Knight
HP: 14349, STR: 61, TEC: 43, VIT: 44, AGI: 41, LUC: 35
Skills:
  • Slaughter Blade: Uses the arms. Deals 4-6 instances of 100% melee STR-based Cut damage to random targets. Can hit the same target multiple times. Increases the Sky Metal Knight's physical attack by 30% for 4 turns after use. Has an 80% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
Drops:
  • Normal: Wootz Shard. 100% chance. Sells for 4500 en. 1 needed to make Damascus Claw (+159 ATK, +30 TP).
    "Crimson fragment of a knight's arm. Made of a now-lost metal called black steel."
  • Conditional: Sky Metal Shard (Kill before turn 6). 100% chance. Sells for 16000 en. 1 needed to make Sky Metal Blade (+160 ATK, +20 TP, +2 TEC).
    "Sword chip made from material called Sky Metal. It's faintly warm, as if alive."
Damage resistances:
Disable resistances:
0% 0% 0% 0% 0% 0% 0%
10% 10% 10%
50% 50% 50%

A mechanized soldier wielding two beam swords. Defeat it fast, before it detects your presence.

Sky Metal Knights almost necessitate a Beast, honestly. Even Front Guard won't help you if Slaughter Blade hits someone in the back row, and if that wasn't bad enough, the damage buff means even its normal attacks become lethal.

Freyja will try her best to get two binds on the Sky Metal Knight--I'll consider that acceptable for Ecstasy.

I have Ursa turn on Desperation, in case Freyja doesn't get the arm bind off.

Realga really has nothing else to do.

P-power down those swords...

Th-thank you.

Gag would've been the better choice here, honestly, since cutting the Sky Metal Knight's TEC down means that Stardust would deal more damage.

Asriel's job is just to spam Swallow Strike.

I thought for a long while that Desperation and Overheal didn't stack, but I'm about to prove myself wrong.

Forward without fear, or something.

Hot drat that's a lot of HP--2315. That's more than even Huge Statues have.

It's kind of sad, really.

Alright, two binds. I'll take it.

Honestly, I'm kind of surprised the arm bind has stuck on for this long. The Sky Metal Knight literally has not gotten a single attack in yet, because it keeps trying to use Slaughter Blade, even though its arms are bound.

Oh yeah, getting that conditional is going to be super easy.

The arm bind fell off, but does that really matter by this point?

Too easy.

Meh.

I decided to go back to town to sell the Sky Metal Knight's drops, although I probably should've just kept the Sky Metal Shard, for reasons you'll see later.

Sky Metal Blade (+160 ATK, +20 TP, +2 TEC) is made from 1 Sky Metal Shard. The ATK bonus on its own is good, but the TEC bonus is even better for War Magi or Fafnir.

Damascus Claw (+159 ATK, +30 TP) is unlocked by selling 1 Wootz Shard.

Lovely, more bombs.
I'll get my supplies ready. Someone else take the map for a bit.

It's just another room where bombs are the only obstacle. The floor gets more involved, though, believe me.

Not yet, though.

SYSTEM: You suspect it is one of the monsters which guards this castle.
No. I'm done asking "what the hell?" It's becoming too common.

SYSTEM: In addition to the monster you see here, you sense another presence in the room!

SYSTEM: It seems this monster can call upon others of its kind for aid... You think very carefully about how to proceed through this floor in light of this new knowledge.
Oh, great, self-replicating FOEs. How about we just take the long way around?

Taking on a Silver Guardian without a very specific plan against it is a terrible idea, so I really have no other option but taking the long way around.

24F's main FOE puzzle is luring the bombs into Silver Guardians. This particular instance is amazingly easy, mostly because this is the only Silver Guardian patrolling this small area.

I mark Silver Guardian spawn points on the map with the question mark icon.

Now we have two of them to deal with--we only have to kill one, though. Killing one is enough to give us some room to get out of the patrol area.

Just lure the bomb over to the top by standing here, and then move so that the bomb won't turn again.

When you step into a Silver Guardian's patrol area, all of the Silver Guardians patrolling that specific area will aggro on you. Since there's only one here, though, we can just run to the safe area.

This next puzzle's slightly trickier, since the bomb spawner is all the way down there, meaning you have to first lure the bomb up by standing on the left, and then move so that it'll end up going to the right.

Like so.

These types of puzzles can take a bit of getting used to, especially on your first go-around, but once you know how to work them, they're pretty drat easy.

This next puzzle steps up the difficulty by making you blow up two Silver Guardians before proceeding.

One down.

And we're good.

Last puzzle of the floor. There's a whopping four Silver Guardians patrolling the area here, and two bomb spawn points--the one close to us, and the one to the north alllll the way on the other side of the room. That one will blow up Silver Guardians on its own, but we have to goad the ones near us towards the Silver Guardians.

It's easier than it looks.

Where does the Overlord get all the explosive ordinance needed to make these bombs, anyway?

The last floor. (Of the main story, anyway.)

Town dialogue time.

There's hot water in the tub, so wash up. Dinner should be ready by the time you're clean. Haha, she was so excited... She said she wanted to be as much help to you as she can!
Um, who?
Who? Why, my daughter, of course. She won't even let me help! She said she wants to do this on her own. She's the one who heated the water, and she's cooking dinner right now. Haha, she's such a sweet girl. I tell you, she's exactly how I was when I was her age. Wouldn't you think so? Bahaha!

Yep. The 25th floor. We're getting real close to the end.
...So it is true! Congratulations! Once you finish exploring that floor, it'll all be over! Oh...um, it just occurred to me... What are you planning to do after you finish the exploration? You're not...going to leave, are you?
Depends on what my final bill is--gotta count it up before I decide.
I'd like to get right back to work. This exploration's let me make so many advancements in effect impact and convenience.
Might settle down somewhere close after everything's said and done. I've been through a lot, dunno if my head can take much more.
I'd...like to travel. Maybe see Armoroad and Tharsis...
B-But the people who find the castle are supposed to become Lagaardian nobles, right? S-So you'll stay, right? I-I mean...if you leave High Lagaard, then what will I...
Woah woah woah, Abigail, calm down. Don't start freaking out on us yet, we're still here.
Oh... I-I'm so sorry! It's not my place to say such things.

Regina started talking as soon as we entered.

...I think it's about time I had a talk with Grandpa.
You remember? I told you the reason I accepted this job was to prove to my family I can make a living as a chef?
Vaguely.
Well, some of my relatives are getting...impatient. They're starting to pester Grandpa about me. Apparently we're all going to sit down and have a family dinner to discuss all this.
According to them, I need to show some proof that my skills as a chef will allow me to make it on my own. They'll be a tough crowd to convince... They're all high-class nobles, and they're used to rich and lavish meals. ...Do you think I'll be able to convince my family...?
No doubt in my mind that they'll be convinced.
Your cooking is sublime, Regina... I-I'm sure they'll see.
...Thanks. Heh, it's strange...with you supporting me, I feel like I can do anything.
Hah...alright. I think I'm ready now.
...I'm not doing this to rebel against my family. I cook because I want my customers to enjoy their food, and be happy. That's what's most important to me. Well, time to start thinking of what to cook! Things are going to get busy!

This also triggered new FOEbucks dialogue for the rest of the town. Let's start with Regina herself.

I've already made up my mind. I'll just do the best I can. ...Thinking back, I've never been a very versatile person. I don't have to try and pretend I'm something different. Heh. Even if I tried, I doubt it would work out that well for me.

And lastly, her normal dialogue.

I've been watching you through your whole exploration...but I've never seen you this worn out before.
Well, that last floor was exhausting.
Try to get some rest while you're here in the city, at least. Okay?

FOEbucks dialogue.

I thought I might go take a look at my competition, but I ended up sittin' down, and--hell, the food there's great! And the cook there, she's somethin' else. I thought she was some high and mighty noble, but turns out she ain't that bad. Wonder if I can get some kind of delivery service goin' from the cafe.
I...guess we can give you some kind of discount, if you really want to go forward with that.
Oho, the money girl showing mercy.
Shut it, sword man. It's in our best interests to get as much business as possible.
Haw haw haw! Guess gettin' a couple more stores in the area ain't all that bad!

Normal dialogue.

Oh, it's yeh lot! Man, I was gettin' pretty bored.
Did something...happen?
Huh? No, nothing's wrong. Yeh just get these kinda slow days once in a while where nobody's around. *sigh*... I mean, I always complain about not havin' any free time... But I've finished cleaning the kitchen, the tables, I'm done with all the cookin' prep... The hell am I supposed to do now? I'm dyin' of boredom, here. Yeh folks don't have anything to do, right? Why don't yeh tell me one of yer stories.

I went back to the inn to get the FOEbucks dialogue.

How should I put it...she looked even more handsome than before! I don't mean her looks, though...more like her demeanor.
She's certainly less abrasive than when we started.
If I were a little younger, I might have fallen for her myself. Bahaha!

Quona has dialogue too.

When I tell her something I know... She gets all surprised and says she had no idea... Hee hee... I like Regina...

I had a lot of stuff on my mind... I guess I must have looked a little down. She was worried about me...oh, and she said sweets are always the first step to feeling better. Hee hee! She's such a kind person... I love Regina!

My dialogue progression's certainly scattered today, isn't it?

Dulcet-voiced caster:

Hmhm. It's thanks to you that my brother and I were also able to board the flying castle. Quite a strange place... Well, if I say strange... Obviously, Mr. King Gel would be the first to come to mind. Have you met him already?
Can't say we have.
He combines his powers with his allies, and at once they attack, with flashing, cracking, sizzling, crashing! An utterly horrid team. Aha, but! If you defeat all of his allies first, it's an easy matter to punish the king when he's all alone.
Couldn't you have picked a better verb than "punish?"
It was exhilarating to watch the King Gel as his allies fell one by one... For a monster with no face, he still looked terrified. It seems he gives other monsters orders. How intelligent do you suppose he is? Hm... Perhaps he knows you're coming for him. Of course, since he scared my little brother so much...naturally, I destroyed him.

Girl in a white sundress:

*sigh*... What is this strange feeling...? I've been frequenting FOEbucks only because their food is so delicious... Right. Their food is delicious...that's all. That's the only reason...it was supposed to be the only reason... FOEbucks is practically the signature store of modern Lagaard now. Customers even come from far-off lands... I'm happy that the store I like is doing well...and I'm happy that the chef is doing well... But, I wonder. When I'm watching the chef talk to the other customers with that warm, open smile... Why does...my heart ache...?
Well, I've got a pretty good idea, but it's not my place to talk about it.

They recommend dishes to me, tell me about which materials in the Labyrinth they think taste good... It makes me happy to hear how popular it's gotten. It's...something of a relief.

Normal dialogue.

You've gotten pretty far into the castle... I imagine your exploration will be over, soon enough.
It looks like that so far.
...Ha. The day you first arrived in this city seems so long ago, now. When I first saw you all, you just seemed like helpless kids... And look at all of you now. There is nothing left for me to teach you. You've all grown...strong. Well, that's all I have to say for now. I hope you find fortune on your travels.

Pretty cold thing to say about your granddaughter.
Hmm? Do I sound a little too cold? Oho ho ho, I'm not just an old man that spoils his grandchild. ...I know she will be able to overcome something like this.

Normal dialogue.

Ah, Guild Lumen. Were you able to find the Grail of Kings yet?
We're...close.
As Minister of this country, I am quite concerned for the Duke, as well as Lady Gradriel. She barely sleeps at all, yet she tends to her father and fulfills the duties of her title... At this rate, I fear she will fall ill as well. Remember, finding the grail will not only save the Duke, but indeed, save Lady Gradriel as well. I am counting on you, Guild Lumen.

The last quests of the main story.

Task for the tracker:

Ah, yeh're here! Take it, take it now, take it all! 'Specially that one! Yeh know the guildmaster, of course. Yeah, that's right... Miss Congeniality herself. Sometimes, she heads off into the Labyrinth all on her own. Since she's a guildmaster, though, she can't just sneak off to explore whenever she fancies. She helps lost explorers, finds materials for the Grand Duchy, and does a little investigation of her own when she can. It's practically a full-time job on its own! Last time, seems she saved an entire guild's bacon. They were pinned down by a huge wave of monsters, and they'd lost all hope. Each and every one of them owes their lives to that lady. If it wasn't for her, they'd be in a beastie's belly. The woman came out of the forest with four grown men carried on her back. Unbelievable, innit?
Zzz... Wh-- Oh, yeah, unbelievable.
Some guards came to help when they saw what was happening, but she had no injuries at all. She took down that whole swarm, and made sure no one, not even her, got a scratch. Makes yeh wonder who the real monster is! Haw haw! Anyways... she's always carryin' around those little trinkets and charms and whatnot. Like a brooch. Yeh use them to keep yer mantle secure. Hers is one of the fanciest ones I've seen. Sounds like it was somethin' she had in her military days... But she dropped it during the fight. She's a woman straight outta hell, that one, but...well, even she deserves cheerin' up, eh? I wasn't sure how to go about findin' a tiny little pin in the great big Labyrinth... But then it hit me--what about an animal? Get one on the scent, and yeh could track down anythin'! What do yeh say? Good idea, eh? Not that I'll be the one out there searchin'... Haw! Here, this is the scarf she always has on. Get an animal to sniff it and maybe they can find somethin' else of hers.
Cass. Why do you have this?
You didn't steal it, did you?
Wh--Idiot! I-I didn't steal it! She just forgot it last time she came here! She fought that swarm on the 16th floor, so she must'a dropped it 'round there. Try searchin' there first. And... if yeh don't have an animal in yer guild, maybe yeh can borrow one from a customer at this bar. And a little lady over there at the bar just so happens to have an animal with her. We humans think we can take on the world ourselves, but sometimes yeh just gotta rely on man's best friend, eh? G'luck!

We thankfully have a Beast on us, so we can just take Ursa to 16F and get on the quest whenever convenient.

An inquisitive child:

Ahh... If yeh do this one, I know the client's gonna be grateful. It's from a widow whose husband was a well-known explorer. He did a lot of jobs for me back in the day... Yeh know that place where they found that first Labyrinth? Etria, right? Yeah, he was there too. Made a big name for himself. He was a good fella. A real regular here, too. Told everyone his stories... yeh'd always find him at the center of a group. Seems everyone took a likin' to him. He eventually got married to the sweet young lass next door, and had a kid not long after.
A story that starts out that well can only end terribly.
Hat guy told me that he and his guild had to gather mementos for an explorer with a story like that back in Etria.
But that was a while back. The Labyrinth had just been discovered...and one day, a bunch of kids got lost in the forest. Back then, nobody really knew how dangerous the Labyrinth was...except him, of course. He ran after the kids, vanished into the Labyrinth... and came back with the crying kids on his back. But...the monsters had got him bad. There was blood everywhere... He handed the kids over to a guard, and just...fell on the spot.
Always wondered why the Duchy doesn't post guards at the forest entrance.
...His kid's 5 years old now, and nobody wants to tell him what happened. His mom told him his dad's up in the Labyrinth still. So, the lad's askin' questions now...wantin' to know if his old man made it up to the castle in the sky. 'Course, his mom told him his dad's up there explorin', and he'll send some souvenirs down for him. So... can yeh go up to the castle in the sky, and bring back some kinda souvenir for the kid?
...Of course. Did the widow ask for any particular thing?
They said anythin's fine...but...y'know. A guy like that would bring back material from a monster that ain't a pushover. I mean, it'd be great to get one of them special rarer materials, but it's up to yeh. I want yeh comin' back in one piece. Anyhow, go to the castle in the sky and bring back some kinda material from a powerful monster there. It ain't gonna be easy, but yeh're the only ones I can ask for this. G'luck!

What Cass meant by bringing back "materials from a monster that ain't a pushover" is that he wants us to bring back drops from an FOE--either a Sky Metal Knight, a Cursed Knight, or a Silver Guardian. "Special rarer materials" refers to conditional drops, which only the Sky Metal Knight and Cursed Knight have. The quest doesn't care about what specific drop you bring back, just what type it is.

We'll take care of both those quests, and 25F, next time.

Rea fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Aug 12, 2016

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
And now you referenced FE: Fates. I will concede with Realga and Stardust: The Babyrealms was a stupid idea. I liked Awakening's "stop apocalyptic future" justification because it made the children have real good quirks. Inigo's line in his B Support with his father is a good example: "I had to fight every day of my goddamn life and wear a smile through it all!"

Eh, anyone else feel like going to the FE thread and talking?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I wonder how Regina would react if she knew she was apparently the object of adoration from so many women.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
As I type this, the Overlord fight raw footage is being processed. As such, I felt this would be a good time to throw out a question.

We're headed into the postgame really soon--that should be fairly obvious. What I want to ask about is: how should votes from here on out be handled? There are several postgame bosses (including the superboss) where you basically need one or two specific classes or else you'll probably just lose. Should I just stop holding votes for anything I feel I should build a party for myself, should I just lock in the pseudo-required characters and let the others be voted in, should I do something else?

Also, for postgame stratum exploration: should I just swap out the party with every floor? The postgame stratum isn't that hard to go through, it's just that the floors are very long, and you'll probably be going back to town quite a bit.

Lastly, expect the 25F update sometime this week (my ideal time is tomorrow night), and the Overlord update shortly after.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Keep holding votes, but place no restrictions. You can use Grimoires to get your hands on the abilities you need. :unsmigghh:

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

I'm Doctor Shibbo, and this is Jackass.
Nap Ghost

Dr. Fetus posted:

Keep holding votes, but place no restrictions.

Seconding this! I'm sure you'll do just fine, even if the readers decide to make your life a little more difficult.

8_Escape
Dec 26, 2013
As amusing as sending you against a superboss with a party of dead-weight and Grimoires would be I support locking in the pseudo-required characters.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

So long as everyone gets a go in the new stratum, I'm happy with free votes for all

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Lock in the required characters, hold a vote for the rest. I think that's the best way to not get frustrated.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
Lock required.

Efe
Feb 2, 2016

I make alive things dead and sometimes the other way around.
I'd say lock in characters only if they're needed. I know from experience that there are some bosses coming up that I wouldn't want to fight with the wrong party. Then again, you've proven several times already that difficulty in this game might as well be subjective (I'm still looking at that Storm Emperor fight).

And yeah, since the floor count is winding down after this in favor of huge multi-trip floors, I'd say swap the party after every floor.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

8_Escape posted:

As amusing as sending you against a superboss with a party of dead-weight and Grimoires would be I support locking in the pseudo-required characters.

Seconded.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Lock in pseudoreqs.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Lock in any and all required characters for fights we don't want our LPer dying on us now do we?

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
For bosses, no votes. Brutalize everything. Show us how to completely destroy the game. Your pick, every boss. For exploration, anything goes

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

FriskyBoat posted:

For bosses, no votes. Brutalize everything. Show us how to completely destroy the game. Your pick, every boss. For exploration, anything goes

We've already seen floors where mobs make some classes only technically optional.

Definitely lock in required classes unless you're really up to doing a Goofus and Gallant-style demonstration. If you're up to that this late in the LP.

Really, I'd be okay with thread input being taken only as suggestions and proposals at this point. It's not your fault so much; it's dubious and arguably inconsistent game design.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Update 49: To the Throne

So, fun story, and by fun I mean "I really shouldn't be making mistakes this terrible this late into the LP." I lost the footage of doing Task for the tracker! I recorded it separately from both this update and the last one, and accidentally deleted the raw footage before processing it. I AM VERY ORGANIZED.

Hard to believe we're this close to the end of the castle.
If I'll be perfectly honest, I was expecting us to fall apart sometime around Chimaera.
Well, thank the gods we didn't. I'm looking forward to summing up my final tab for all this--given how many times I've been in exploring parties, I expect it to be a lot.
A...lot? No specific range?
Giving a specific type of number is just asking to be disappointed once I finish getting the real number.

First thing to do today is get another Sky Metal Shard. You've already seen one fight with a Sky Metal Knight, so let's just skip ahead.

Kid should be happy with this.
SYSTEM: If you decide that this material would make a sufficient present, you can return to the bar with it.

The most ad campaign finished, with mediocre results.

New campaigns.

Ah, yeh're back. Good, good, yeh managed to get...them? Geez, how many did yeh grab? Look, just one's gonna be fine, awright? Yeh decide on which one yeh want to give that kid.

You have to manually select what drop you want to turn in--I turn in the Sky Metal Shard, pretty obviously.

Here's some strange metal we got from the sword automaton. Had to kill it quickly.
Awright, this one it is. Heh...it'll make a fine old present. The requester's house ain't that far. Yeh lot sit tight, and I'll go deliver this.

Everything went fine, right?
Well...turns out the kid already worked out that his dad was gone. Mighta found out from those kids he saved back then. So he followed his mom here, and saw her puttin' in the request... His mom was so scared that it'd hurt the kid to find out the truth, and to find out that she'd been lyin' for so long... But yeh know what that kid said to her? “Thank you for all you've done for me."
What a sensible child...
Keh heh heh. His mom burst into tears, the kid and I freaked out...it was a mess. It was all we could do to calm her down. After that, his mom and I took turns tellin' stories about his dad... Now he wants to be an explorer. Looked just like his old man... If yeh lot aren't careful, he's gonna end up better than yeh in a flash! Don't slack off, now! Haw haw haw! Oh, almost forgot. I, eh...left yer gift at that guy's grave. That okay?
I guess, but...why?
Well, yeh found somethin' he liked a lot! No sense in lettin' it just go to waste if the kid don't want it! ...I didn't know that fella for too long, but he was a friend. We joked around a lot. You did somethin' good for a friend of mine. It ain't much, but... I gotta give yeh my own thanks, as well. ...Heh. I must be gettin' old if I'm startin' to talk to myself. Here, take yer reward and go! Awright, see yeh!

We get two more Nectar IIs for turning in a conditional drop.

Still just putting points in small passives.

Let's tackle The Test of Courage now. Firstly, I have absolutely no qualms about dropping the difficulty to Picnic for this, because getting the maximum reward with this quest on Expert is nigh-impossible unless you put it off until, like, the end of the postgame.

SYSTEM: You feel a rush just setting foot in the area. A guard sees you from his post by the stairs, and moves towards you.

That would be us, yes.
SYSTEM: When you nod, the guard breathes a sigh of relief, his palm settling against his breastplate.
I was worried you weren't going to make it at such short notice. Thank you for coming. It would be a privilege and an honor for me to explain the Test of Courage to you. For this quest, you have seven hours' time to defeat more of a certain monster than the other participants. The monster we would have you defeat today... is the great beast that lives on this floor, the Charging Rhino. Please remember that even if you defeat monsters other than the rhinos, they will not count towards your total. The Test will end seven hours from when you begin, but it will end immediately if you leave this floor, so please take caution. If you are ready, you can begin your Test of Courage right away. Would you like to begin?
In the words of something I found in Colette's anthology, "get it onne!"
Understood. Starting from now, Lumen shall undertake their Test of Courage. Once the time comes to an end, we will sound a flute to notify everyone. I pray that you can finish the Test safely. Please do take caution.
SYSTEM: You give thanks to the guard, and fix your grips on your weapons. The Test of Courage has begun. You forge onward.

It's exactly what it sounds like: we have to kill a bunch of Charging Rhinos to finish the quest. There's six of these things on the floor, and if you want the maximum reward, you have to kill them ALL. You'll see why this is incredibly difficult until you're massively overleveled or on Picnic in just a bit.

RRRRGH!
An unstoppable rhino meats an immovable bear.

Charging Rhino
HP: 12517, STR: 49, TEC: 41, VIT: 40, AGI: 30, LUC: 39
Skills:
  • Horn Smash: Uses the head. Deals 200% melee STR-based Stab damage, with line-piercing effect. Has an 80% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
  • Do or Die: Used on the turn after the Charging Rhino's head is bound. Cannot be disabled. Purges all binds from the Charging Rhino, heals it for 5000 HP, and increases its physical attack by 50% for 4 turns. Has priority.
Drops:
  • Normal: Red Horn Shard. 100% chance. Sells for 1800 en. 1 needed to make Sekitou (+142 ATK, +10 HP, +2 VIT). 2 needed to make Horn Spear (+126 ATK, +4 VIT).
    "A chunk of a Charging Rhino's tough horn. Weapons made from it are the same striking red."
  • Conditional: Bound Red Horn (Kill while head is bound). 100% chance. Sells for 4100 en. 1 needed to make Wisdom Horn (Chance to obtain Grimoire even without Grimoire Chance).
    "Large horn that can no longer move freely. A flute made from this is said to be lucky."
  • Ingredient: Rhino Shoulder. 15-18 given. 3 needed to make Rhino Meat Stew (Western Food 4; increases drop rates by 15%). 4 needed to make Stewed Rhino (Chinese Food 4; +80% Panic resistance). 4 needed to make Shell Yakiniku (Japanese Food 4; paralyzed enemies have a 99% chance to not act).
    "Tough meat of a rhino."
Damage resistances:
100% 50% 100% 100% 125% 100%
Disable resistances:
50% 25% 25% 50% 50% 25% 25%
10% 10% 10%
200% 25% 75%

An abnormally large-horned rhino who will frenzy if binded.

12517 HP. Even at our current level, on Expert, that would take quite a lot of turns and, more importantly, TP and Force to chew through. These things aren't even a real challenge by this point, it's killing six of them within 7 in-game hours that's the problem. An actual fight with one wouldn't even be interesting, hence why I had no hesitation switching to Picnic.

Six rhinos later...

That was, without a doubt, the single worst use of my time I've ever seen.
Killing even one rhino is exhausting...
SYSTEM: The thudding impact reverberates across the forest, as if announcing your victory to the world... Congratulations! You have set a new record on the Test of Courage, surpassing countless other warriors! Now, return to the bar when you feel so inclined, and claim your prize for overcoming the Test!

Well, if it ain't the guild of the hour! I've been waiting for yeh!
Pretty sure I know what this is about, but tell us anyway.
Hmm? What, yeh haven't heard the results yet? Yeh got first place! Yeh won!
Rrr-hooo!
After having to kill six rhinos back-to-back, I would hope we'd get first place.
Haw, I can hardly believe it either! First yeh find the flyin' castle, and now yeh've won the Test of Courage...! How much more famous do yeh need to be before yeh're satisfied? Haw haw haw! Yeh don't let anythin' hold yeh back! Oh, the Palace sent some kinda certificate and a letter of recognition, of course. Here, lemme read it out.
Cass, please save us all some time, we can probably guess--
“Beneath the glorious gaze of Yggdrasil, you have all exemplified bravery and skill. The Duchy commends your achievements. Your names shall be engraved in glory and light, carved into our history, known from High Lagaard to the citadel empyrean..." Holy hell. What does any of this even mean? Can't they just say “congrats" like a normal person? But man, I'm glad yeh lot won...! To be honest, I kinda bet almost everything I have on yeh lot. Haw haw haw! Here, this is your prize! I made sure to hold onto it. After all, I'm one of Lumen's best pals! Haw haw haw! Yeh lot really did it! Congrats!

Something tells me we're gonna be needing all this rare medicine really soon.

This is why I wanted the maximum reward--if we only killed one or two rhinos, we would've only gotten one Amrita II. Three to five rhinos would've gotten us three Amrita IIs. Believe me, I'm gonna need as many of these things as I can for Overlord.

Peerless Stance now gives Asriel 17% extra damage, 12% extra defense, a 141% speed multiplier, and +130 non-base accuracy/evasion, while now costing 5 TP instead of 3.

Level 1 Aegis/Deadly Resolve is a 10% chance to endure mortal damage at 1 HP.

And I'm still getting certain skills back up to where they were pre-resting.

That's all the quests we can do during the main game. All that's left is 25F.

Let's do some cooking, first.

Stewed Rhino gives the party +80% resistance to panic. Panic is one of the worst ailments to get hit by, making this theoretically pretty useful--unfortunately, almost no enemies beyond the Great Moths back in the 4th Stratum rely on panic.

Shell Yakiniku makes it so that paralyzed enemies have a whopping 99% chance to not act. This is a supremely broken food, only made slightly less amazing by quite a lot of enemies and bosses having 25% paralysis resistance. It's also the only ailment that Hexers don't have access to.

Rhino Meat Stew increases all enemy drop rates by 15%. This would be slightly better in earlier EO games, where enemy drop rates were drat terrible a lot of the time, but in EO2U, where most drop rates are pretty reasonable, not so much.

I bought Freyja a Fortune Necklace before going into 25F, since her binds are annoyingly unreliable, and I want to mitigate that somewhat.

Let's begin the end.

Well, that level up didn't take long.

Leveling up Curb ATK Up to 3 unlocked Snake Eyes, which lowers one enemy's physical defense. If the targeted enemy has an ailment or bind on them, the defense reduction is increased by 10%. At level 20, Snake Eyes on a target with an ailment/bind is actually the strongest defense debuff in the game, at 50%.

We've got two Cursed Knights and a Sky Metal Knight in the same room.

Let's just take care of that and make my life easier.

Blowing up those Cursed Knights isn't that big a deal.

So many mutations...

King Gel
HP: 1567, STR: 47, TEC: 46, VIT: 35, AGI: 29, LUC: 36
Skills:
  • King of Kings: Uses the head. Deals 140% ranged TEC-based Volt damage, with line-piercing effect. Has an 80% speed modifier and 120 base accuracy.
  • Explosives: Requires at least one Yellow Gel to use. Uses the head. Deals 3 instances (1 Yellow Gel) or 6 instances (2 Yellow Gels) of 150% ranged TEC-based Volt damage to random targets. Can hit the same target multiple times. Has a 60% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
Drops:
  • Normal: Black Gelatin. 70% chance. Sells for 1260 en. 1 needed to make Elemental Guard (+10% Fire/Ice/Volt resistance). 4 needed to make Black Scepter (+115 ATK, +70 TP). 6 needed to make Expel Coat (+49 DEF). 1 Black Gelatin and 2 Silver Shards needed to make Duergar Blade (+146 ATK). 8 Gold Shells and 2 Black Gelatins needed to make Kaiser Shield (+46 DEF).
    "Ebon nucleus, needing two hands to lift. A curious gravitas can be sensed from it."
  • Conditional: Cursed Core (Kill with Curse damage). 100% chance. Sells for 2400 en. 1 needed to make Cursed Amulet (Hexer ultimate non-body armor; +75 HP, +75 TP, +7 LUC).
    "A giant cursed gelatinous core. Even just looking at it may bring misfortune."
  • Ingredient: Purple Gel. 1 given. 1 needed to make Ominous Aspic (Western Food 5; restores 2% max TP every 10 steps in the Labyrinth).
    "Emits a strange purple light."
Damage resistances:
50% 50% 50% 125% 125% 10%
Disable resistances:
100% 150% 50% 50% 50% 50% 100%
100% 100% 50%
100% 50% 50%

The most ancient of the protean life-forms and the deadliest.

King Gels are fairly unique as far as enemies go, and are (appropriately) reminiscent of King Snails from the 1st Stratum. If a King Gel is alone, it will summon two Yellow Gels as soon as possible, and after that, will spam Explosives until the Yellow Gels are dead. The other notable thing is that they're the first of three enemies with a "Kill with curse damage" conditional, near-universally reviled in the EO community because they're incredibly annoying to get, due to how weak curse is against enemies. Could be worse, though--could be like EO3 and EO4, where there's one boss in each game with a "kill with curse damage" conditional.

All alone, eh?

Oh.

E-enough out of you...

Just have some all-target Fire or Ice damage on hand, and King Gels are completely trivial.

Anyway, our final puzzle of the main story. Everything after this is just corridors. This one is incredibly easy to trip yourself up on, and a solid 20 minutes of raw footage here is dedicated to me stumbling around, going back to town, and stumbling around some more, trying to remember what the solution was.

We've got two Cursed Knights--one right in front of us, the other all the way back there, and a patrol area with two Silver Guardians.

Pacing back and forth in this corner will eventually result in luring a bomb in front of you.

That's one down.

That's two.

And we're clear to get through the patrol area. That's the last puzzle of the main story finished.

Undead Soldier
HP: 1067, STR: 51, TEC: 46, VIT: 38, AGI: 32, LUC: 36
Skills:
  • Revenge Blade: Uses the arms. Deals 130% melee STR-based Cut damage to one target. Has an 80% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
  • Glinting Blade: Uses the legs. Chases any attacks made by enemies with ranged 120% STR (if Cut/Stab/Bash) or TEC-based (if Fire/Ice/Volt) damage of the same element as the chased attack. Has 120 base accuracy.
Drops:
  • Normal: Silver Shard. 40% chance. Sells for 647 en. 1 needed to make Brigadine (+64 DEF). 5 needed to make Silver Buster (+134 ATK). 1 Black Gelatin and 2 Silver Shards needed to make Duergar Blade (+146 ATK).
    "Pieces of a bodiless suit of armor. Requires expertise to properly craft with."
  • Conditional: Cowering Silver (Kill while afraid). 80% chance. Sells for 1173 en. 1 needed to make Medium Ring (War Magus ultimate non-body armor; +6 STR, +6 TEC, +6 VIT).
    "Silver that has shrunk from fear. Now condensed, it better conducts certain energy."
Damage resistances:
75% 75% 100% 100% 100% 125%
Disable resistances:
100% 150% 150% 150% 100% 100% 100%
50% 0% 100%
0% 0% 0%

A suit of armor said to contain the souls of fallen adventurers.

Undead Soldiers augment damage from enemies with elementals, and that's about the only interesting thing about them.

It won't even get a chance to demonstrate that here.

Let's just put a stop to any shenanigans before they start.

Sometimes I wonder if I should intentionally let myself get messed up by enemies with gimmicks.

Oh, gently caress you, game.

これはちんぷんかんぷんです!

SYSTEM: The shining plate features writing unlike any you have seen, under which is a pair of circular patterns: one red, one blue. Between the circular patterns is the slowly blinking emblem of a hand, as if inviting you to touch the circles. You may touch one of the circles, or abandon them and leave.
Dual choices in a place like this are a bad idea. Back away, everyone.
SYSTEM: The device is so inviting that you can only assume that it is a trap. In no mood to endanger yourselves needlessly, you turn your back to the wall and resume exploring.

The red circle increases the rate at which you encounter monsters until you leave the floor, and the blue circle reduces the rate. I can never remember which one is which, so I just played it safe here.

Who keeps making these terrible medicines?

Hamao Primes restore 200 HP and 40 TP to one target. Bleh.

I went back to town to heal up, and hot drat.

The Gourmet King is always a nice surprise.

And the last round of unlocked items for the main game.

Duergar Blade (+146 ATK) is unlocked by selling 1 Black Gelatin and 2 Silver Shards.

Brigadine (+64 DEF) is unlocked by selling 1 Silver Shard. It's not a very exciting piece of armor, but I buy two for Freyja and Asriel, since I haven't upgraded their armors in quite a bit.

Brawn Ring (+7 STR) is unlocked by selling 10 Meteor Fragments. Like I said before, this thing is a pretty big damage boost for any class that relies on physical damage.

Sagacity Earring (+5 TEC) is unlocked by selling 1 Gold Shell. I replace Stardust's Spinneret Gown with it, since Ursa should be ensuring that Stardust won't be taking any hits with it.

I told you there was literally nothing but corridors left.

Bets on that being the Overlord's door?
Not even a fair bet.
SYSTEM: You feel a tremendous weight on your shoulders as you approach, and cannot help but walk with fearful steps. The Overlord, master of this heavenly castle, awaits you beyond this door. There can be no turning back. You consider carefully whether you are fully prepared, whether your resolve is firm enough, before opening the door.

I don't particularly feel like fighting Overlord right now.

Next time: the final boss.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Update 50: OVERLORD

Everyone ready?
A-as ready as I'll ever be...
GRRRRROORR!
If we come back alive, and I intend to make sure that happens, I'm charging ten times my normal fees for this fight.
I never imagined my special effects prowess would be used to kill a god and save royalty.

It's time to finish this. It's been a pretty long seven months since I started the LP, huh?

I went with the Attack Item Up food and bought a ton of Storm Jars, because Stardust kept running out of TP from spamming level 20 Thor Formulas in earlier attempts.

Well, no sense in hesitation. Here we go!

SYSTEM: As you struggle to take it all in, the mysterious voice booms from above you.

...YOU'RE the Overlord? The Overlord was a giant egg this whole time?!
Dunno how practical that armor is, but it looks incredibly silly.
Pfft...
Hrror-hor-hor!
As fun as it is to laugh at poor fashion sense, let's let the Overlord continue.
We created it in the image of an ancient ark, that we might escape into the skies. I fear you will not understand my tale, but listen... Long ago, this world faced destruction. The signs were obvious, and so we made plans to flee the perishing earth for the skies.
So you opted for the opposite of what happened in Etria--fleeing the Earth instead of restoring it.
But another ordeal fell upon us. Humanity could not adapt to the drastically altered environment. I continued my never-ending research on life to save them. But some were not satisfied... They wished to die on their home soil...to return to the false lands on the dead earth. I performed experiment after experiment to save those who remained faithful to me... But the secrets of life are obscure and arcane. Little time remained to find a breakthrough.
I mean, if I was faced with waiting for eternal life that might never come, I'd opt for going back home too.
Thus did I discard my human form, transferring my mind to a body that would last forever. In this way, I continued my research to protect my flock from all manner of calamities. That research continues today. The Grail of Kings...source of that much-sought immortality...
Y-you mean turning humans into monsters...
It is not yet fully functional. Genetic warping occurs, and men become something entirely other. If she had remained with me... Her specialty was genetic research...perhaps... No. The past is dead, and it is folly to speculate. I alone will discover man's salvation! I will not let you take the Grail of Kings from here! It is vital to mankind's future! Perish and become dust before my power as the Overlord!

You underestimate us.

:siren: VIDEO: Boss Battle: Overlord :siren:

We've come this far, after all!

This is the only time Last Battle plays in the game, so give it a listen. It's not a spectacular track, but it's decent enough.

Overlord
HP: 6000, STR: 58, TEC: 48, VIT: 50, AGI: 37, LUC: 50
Skills:
  • LRDA: Uses the head. Attempts to inflict paralysis, panic, and fear on each party member, with a 30% base chance. Has an 80% speed modifier.
  • VOID3: Uses the head. Deals 70% ranged TEC-based Almighty damage to the party. Has a 50% speed modifier and 120 base accuracy.
  • MACV: Cannot be disabled. Nullifies and counters all Cut/Stab/Bash damage to the Overlord with 120% STR-based damage of the same element as the nullified damage to the source of the damage for one turn. Has 120 base accuracy.
  • VOID2: Uses the head. Deals 140% ranged TEC-based Almighty damage to the party. Has a 50% speed modifier and 120 base accuracy.
  • AACV: Cannot be disabled. Nullifies and counters all Fire/Ice/Volt damage to the Overlord with 120% TEC-based damage of the same element as the nullified damage to the source of the damage for one turn. Has 120 base accuracy.
  • VOID1: Uses the head. Deals 210% ranged TEC-based Almighty damage to the party. Has a 50% speed modifier and 120 base accuracy.
  • REPAIR: Uses the head. Heals the Overlord for 1000 HP. Has a 60% speed modifier.
  • VOID0: Uses the head. Deals 400% ranged TEC-based Almighty damage to the party. Has a 50% speed modifier and 120 base accuracy.
Damage resistances:
Disable resistances:
50% 75% 25% 25% 0% 0% 25%
0% 0% 10%
25% 50% 25%
AI pattern:
  • Turn 1: LRDA
  • Turn 2: VOID3
  • Turn 3: MACV
  • Turn 4: VOID2
  • Turn 5: AACV
  • Turn 6: VOID1
  • Turn 7: REPAIR
  • Turn 8 until death: VOID0

Master of the floating castle and Ruler of Heaven, he has left his mortal body behind.

...Are you kidding me? THIS is the final boss?! 6000 HP?! What kind of dumb joke is this?!

All I really have to say about the Overlord's skillset is that if you somehow can't kill it in 8 turns, you have much bigger problems than dying to VOID0.

I'm hoping Freyja manages to get a head bind off, since LRDA is annoying to clean up after, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Asriel will set up Upper Stance, and then just spam Swallow Strike.

Overlord's not attacking this turn, so I have Ursa set up Protection Vow.

Realga defends since I'm betting on Freyja not binding the Overlord's head. Defending reduces the chance of being hit with ailments and binds for that turn by some unknown factor.

Much like Asriel, Stardust will set up Compression, and then just spam either Thor Formula or Storm Jars.

I can see why you're obsessed with immortality, but it's had some disastrous effects back on Earth.

So many explorers have suffered not just from being turned into monsters, but from dying to those monsters...

Well, alright then! Makes my job easier.

The culmination of all the improvements to my effects since the start of our journey...

None of the Overlord's skills use the arms, but Cuffs deals more damage than Shackles at the moment.

Ursa'll be fine tanking VOID3.

Realga preps Overheal because what else is she gonna do right now?

Here we go.

Less surprising than the head bind, since the Overlord only has 50% resistance to arm binds.

Huah!

Well, that's over 10% of the Overlord's HP.

Shocking-- Wait, no I already used that one... Electrifying, no?

And THAT was 1/3 of the Overlord's HP.

Head binds shut down the Overlord so hard it's not even funny.

Turn 3 is the MACV turn, so Freyja and Asriel need to hold off on attacking, while Ursa has nothing to do.

Saw that coming from a few steps in front of me away.

Overlord is now at around 1000 HP. He's done for.

There is no honor in an trivial kill.

That was disappointing.

What a waste of time.
We'll be taking that Grail, now...
SYSTEM: As you bask in your hard-won victory, the voice speaks again.
It seems your power is far greater than I anticipated. But you do not understand... My research is still far from complete. Though I have created something of a prototype... True eternal life will not be possible until the Grail of Kings is finished. And so I cannot allow myself to be defeated now.
S-so...?
But I have a proposition. I can grant you eternal life... Transcendence of your mortal human forms. In return for which, you must leave the Grail of Kings with me and depart from this castle. Think well... do not all humans desire life eternal and strength unsurpassed?
SYSTEM: The Overlord's offer has been made, and he awaits your answer. The decision is entirely in your hands...

Choosing to leave just results in being given a game over.

If you'll pardon my uncommon choice of words: Go gently caress yourself.
Rrrrgh!
We're not like hat guy--we don't have terrible memories.
We haven't forgotten what happened to those others with "eternal life."
SYSTEM: You cannot leave when the Grail of Kings is so near at hand, and so you refuse the Overlord. At hearing your response, the Overlord sighs deeply before speaking again.
So... That is the path you choose. It was inevitable, I suppose. Then I will resist you with my true power...! Children of man! Freed from the destruction of the old world, I have dreamt a new future. None shall deter me from my sacred goal! I shall surpass the limits of humanity! Witness the might of a true god!

https://zippy.gfycat.com/BlankPreciousGlassfrog.webm (No GIF version available)

:siren: :siren: VIDEO: Final Boss: Overlord :siren: :siren:

:siren: :siren:

Eh, we've beaten worse. Bring it on!

Now that looks like a final boss.

Overlord
HP: 27000, STR: 59, TEC: 48, VIT: 50, AGI: 39, LUC: 53
Skills:
  • Mountain Stream: Does nothing for one turn. Uses the arms. Deals 220% melee STR-based Bash damage to the front row. Has a 120% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
  • Dazzling Sunlight: Uses the head. Deals 180% ranged TEC-based Fire damage to the party. Attempts to bind hit targets' heads, with a 25% base chance. Has a 70% speed modifier and 120 base accuracy.
  • Dance: Cannot be disabled. Deals 5 (if no Overlord Core) or 10 (if Overlord Core) instances of 200% (if no Overlord Core) or 400% (if Overlord Core) melee STR-based Cut damage to random targets. Can hit the same target once (if Overlord Core) or twice (if Overlord Core) at most. Has an 80% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
  • Birth of Anguish: Uses the arms. Deals 170% melee STR-based Cut damage to one target, with splash damage. Attempts to inflict panic on hit targets, with a 20% base chance. Has an 80% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
  • Hail and Rain: Uses the head. Deals 180% ranged TEC-based Ice damage to the party. Attempts to bind hit targets' arms, with a 25% base chance. Has a 70% speed modifier and 120 base accuracy.
  • Solitude: Uses the legs. Reduces the party's physical defense by 50% for 4 turns. Attempts to inflict paralysis and fear on each party member, with a 25% base chance. Has an 80% speed modifier.
  • Crashing Thunder: Uses the head. Deals 180% ranged TEC-based Volt damage to the party. Attempts to bind hit targets' legs, with a 25% base chance. Has a 70% speed modifier and 120 base accuracy.
  • Seek: Cannot be disabled. Purges all debuffs from the Overlord, and raises his physical attack by 30% for 4 turns.
Drops:
  • Normal: Imperial Wrath. 100% chance. Sells for 10000 en. 1 needed to make Czar Cloth (+50 DEF, +5% Fire/Ice/Volt resistance).
    "Part of the Overlord's scale-like armor. Abnormally light, it's unknown how it was made."
Damage resistances:
Disable resistances:
50% 75% 25% 25% 0% 0% 25%
0% 0% 10%
25% 50% 25%
AI pattern:
  • Phase 1 (100% to 75% HP):
    • Turn 1: Nothing
    • Turn 2: Mountain Stream
    • Turn 3: Attack
    • Loops until next phase.
  • Phase 2 (75% to 50% HP):
    • End of last turn: Summons one Killer Satellite
    • Turns 1 and 2: Whatever was upcoming from phase 1
    • End of turn 2: Summons Overlord Core
    • The Overlord Core's summoning is followed up by 4 turns of Dazzling Sunlight, then an infinite loop of Dance
    • When the Overlord Core is destroyed, the Overlord will use Dance, and then loop the next pattern until the next phase
    • Turn 4: Birth of Anguish
  • Phase 3 (50% to 25% HP):
    • End of last turn: Summons two Killer Satellites
    • Turns 1 and 2: Whatever was upcoming from phase 2
    • The Overlord Core's summoning is followed up by 4 turns of Hail and Rain, then an infinite loop of Dance
    • When the Overlord Core is destroyed, the Overlord will use Dance, and then loop the next pattern until the next phase
    • Turn 4: Birth of Anguish
    • Turn 5: Nothing
    • Turn 6: Mountain Stream
    • Turn 7: Solitude
    • Turn 8: Attack
    • Turn 9: Birth of Anguish
  • Phase 4 (25% HP to death):
    • End of last turn: Summons two Killer Satellites
    • Turns 1 and 2: Whatever was upcoming from phase 2
    • The Overlord Core's summoning is followed up by 4 turns of Crashing Thunder, then an infinite loop of Dance
    • When the Overlord Core is destroyed, the Overlord will use Dance, and then loop the next pattern until he dies
    • Turn 3: Solitude
    • Turn 4: Attack
    • Turn 5: Birth of Anguish
    • End of turn 5: Summons Overlord Core

The true form of the Ruler of Heaven. Behold his overwhelming power, and despair.

THIS is the actual final boss, and he's...honestly something of a disappointment. Overlord is really just a damage race. He hits hard, but that's really the complete extent of what he does. The entire fight boils down to killing him before he kills you.

I probably should've used Cuffs instead, for reasons you'll see shortly.

Asriel will be varying up his usual actions in a couple of turns.

Ursa readies up Protection Vow, since the Overlord's not gonna do anything this turn.

Ursa will NEED an Overhealed Cure to not die to Mountain Stream next turn.

Same as always.

I stopped being afraid of mean looks some 50 years ago.

That metal head is...quite hard to restrain...

Note how I didn't activate Immovable yet.

Hope this works.

Since Freyja and Asriel are gonna be dishing out mediocre damage, it's up to Stardust to pick up the slack.

Alright, I hope those mixtures worked.
Rrr...

Urrr... Rrrgh...
It worked! Note to self: set price on that concoction when we get back.

This doesn't bode well.

It's...some damage. I can't argue that.

Arc lightning!

Oh.

Ursa needs to be patched up.

Aiiiii, I knew this would happen.

You'd really think you'd learn how to not miss that after using it so many times.
My dexterity is going, I thought I told you.

Fantastic, summons, my favorite part of boss fights.

Killer Satellite
HP: 1700, STR: 58, TEC: 45, VIT: 45, AGI: 41, LUC: 48
Skills:
  • Chase Laser: Used after elemental attacks. Uses the head. Deals 150% (if one Killer Satellite) or 100% (if two Killer Satellites) ranged TEC-based damage of the same element of the chased skill. Has 100 (if one Killer Satellite) or 99 (if two Killer Satellites) base accuracy.
  • Self-Destruct: Used on the same turn as Dance. Deals 800% ranged TEC-based Fire damage to the entire party. Kills the Killer Satellite after use.
Damage resistances:
Disable resistances:
50% 100% 50% 50% 0% 50% 50%
50% 50% 10%
50% 100% 100%

Killer Satellites are major pains. Their normal attacks deal not-insignificant damage, and Chase Laser can turn heavy damage elementals into death. They're also in the back row, meaning that everyone deals half damage to them! (The only exception is if I moved Stardust up to the front row, or have Asriel use Issen.)

Asriel has one turn of Upper Stance left, so I have him use Peerless Stance.

This is supposed to just be a normal attack turn, so I'll have Ursa use an Amrita II on Asriel.

I can match none!
Evidently the part of his brain that controls order of words is going, too.

Ugh.

Ack! W-what is that light?

Rrrrr!

Th-thank you, Ursa...

Protection Vow kicked in there.

We could be doing worse for 5 turns in, given who our damage dealers are.

I have Asriel turn Immovable on, now that he has Peerless Stance going.

Compression ran out, but that's fine, since I want Stardust to chip at the Killer Satellite.

Peerless Stance needs quite a few levels before it starts becoming noticeably better than Upper Stance.

Insert exasperated statement here.

I love Overheal. Ursa just ate half of her normal max HP and doesn't even care.

Justice rains from... Wait, hm. Does "above" really work here?
Can you please worry about semantics later, Luca?!

Oh, great, one more summon.

Overlord Core
HP: 2800, STR: 59, TEC: 48, VIT: 50, AGI: 39, LUC: 53
Damage resistances:
Disable resistances:
0% 0% 0% 0% 0% 0% 0%
0% 0% 0%
0% 0% 0%

Okay, I'm being a little unfair to the Overlord Core. It's not really a traditional "summon," since it literally does nothing on its own. Its only purpose is to act as a timer--if you can't kill it within four turns, you're doomed, since Dance will no-questions-asked wipe you (exclusing Perfect Defense or True Endurance).

I have Asriel target the Overlord Core with Swallow Strike, since I want this thing dead in a reasonable amount of time.

In the video, you can see that this instance of Dazzling Sunlight gets sped up compared to normal actions. That's because I saw Ursa's HP, and my damage estimate for Dazzling Sunlight in my head went over that, meaning I panic-held the A Button and was basically shouting "NO NO NO PLEASE THIS ATTEMPT IS GOING WELL" in my head. That one point of Deadly Resolve saved me in the end, since it procced on the last hit.

Fun fact about the Auto-Heal and Self-Heal Amp Grimoire effects: because Auto-Heal technically isn't a fixed healing source, Self-Heal Amp boosts it, meaning that Ursa restores 75% of her HP whenever it activates--and remember, it activates 50% of the time on any damage instance.

A bit too close for comfort, but everything turned out fine in the end.

Asriel's Force isn't gonna have enough time to regenerate before the end of the fight, so I just bust out Issen to damage the Overlord plus both of his summons.

That's the Killer Satellite down.

Freyja, I know you said that head is hard to restrain, but can you maybe try harder?!
I-I am... Sorry...

*screaming internally*

Remember how Dazzling Sunlight nearly killed Ursa last time? I seriously loving love Overheal.

Oh yeah, and Auto-Heal counts whatever the user's current max is, meaning it works perfectly fine with Overheal.

The Overlord telegraphs Dance with this, although you can already probably guess that it's coming by killing the Core.

I have Freyja take a break from not binding the Overlord's head so she can restore her TP.

Even with Overheal, Ursa would die if she tanked the entirety of Dance, so I turn on Desperation.

Stardust'll re-cast Compression now that the summons are dead.

Ouch.

What kinda magic is inside those weird Grimoires?

That basically completely undid Dance's damage, haha.

Oh hey, we skipped the second part of phase 2.

Getting ever closer.

Also, remember how I said that Overheal and Desperation stacking was a bug all the way back in the Gentle Toad fight? Turns out it isn't!

Overkill much?

Same reasoning as Issen.

RrrrRRREEOOOORR!

I...did it!

FINALLY. And not a moment too soon, since the Hail and Rain phase is probably gonna start soon.

I got really lucky that the Overlord used Birth of Anguish during True Endurance, since it means the panic got nullified, and Ursa becoming panicked would've thrown a serious wrench in everything.

Yep, there it is.

This is frankly kind of a lovely use of Trance, but whatever, I need as much damage as possible right now.

We're almost there, just a little more left!

Cuffs + Trance damage, for reference.

Like I said, the head bind could not have been timed better, even if it took annoyingly long to land.

Okay, it's over.

Might as well go for style points. (Realga has Overheal active.)

Heroes never die!
And she goes after ME for using a quote from the anthology...

Good-bye.

And GOD riddance.

It is finished.

VIDEO: Ending and Credits

SYSTEM: Whether the light marks the end of an ancient legend...or the opening of a new chapter... It would be premature to judge now.

SYSTEM: You recall his words...
My aim was nothing less than the evolution of man...the dawn of a new race!
SYSTEM: Despairing at man's weakness, he personally strove to transcend the limitations of his species.
...W-was the Overlord really all that evil?
Dunno. He did awful things, but... Seems like he just got messed up by everyone leaving him.
Centuries of solitude does take a toll on someone's mind.

SYSTEM: Perhaps their conflict was not a matter of right and wrong. It was a struggle whose outcome was determined by the strength of their respective beliefs. There may come a time again when mankind, facing incredible adversity, will lose its way...

SYSTEM: Just as you traversed the flying castle, their strength and bravery will allow them to face any hardship.

That could not be further from the truth.

Grrer! Grrer!
Ursa found the Grail...!
Well then. Shall we get back to town? Think everyone's waiting on us.

They've just accomplished the impossible... You know they'll be hungry! Come on Quona, fetch the ingredients!
Okay...! I'll help as much as I can so we can welcome back Lumen!
Wait, wait, THEY'RE BACK?! Ranger, come on, get going! We gotta go see everyone at the forest entrance!
But I'm in the middle of eating this steaaaaaaaaaak!

So. That's the end of the main story. What a ride that was, huh? Kind of hard to believe it's been seven months since I started. I guess I'll use this time to throw out some miscellaneous thoughts.

If you've never played EO2U, or even any EO game at all, I hope the LP's convinced you to at least give the eShop demo of it a look. Etrian Odyssey is a series that I'm incredibly passionate about, if the fact that I'm doing an LP of this game or that Dr. Fetus and I have near-exhaustively datamined both of the Untolds didn't clue you in already. One of my goals when I started the LP was to potentially expose the game (and possibly series) to people who might not have otherwise tried it, especially since EO2U is a remake of (in my opinion) the worst game in a series that's already very niche to begin with.

Another big reason I started this thing was to kind of throw myself into territories I was very uncomfortable with at the outset: organizing and maintaining a pseudo-creative project, and writing a narrative. I...wouldn't really say I'm comfortable with either of those after doing all of this, haha, but it's certainly been a fun experience just doing something that's a great deal different than my day-to-day routine of programming (both during the school year and now). I don't know if anyone reading this thread is aware of this, but four years ago, I actually tried my hand at LP'ing for the first time (with Megaman Star Force 1)...and promptly burned out five updates in because I underestimated the workload. Committing to this LP for seven months and reaching the end of the main story, in light of that, is something I'm personally kind of proud of.

Haha, I'm not just saying that! I've been rooting for them throughout their whole journey! And I wasn't the only one. Dad and all the people at the workshop were cheering for them, too. All of Sitoth Trading has been rooting for the Lumen guild!
...They actually did it? They got the Grail?! Holy poo poo, Phoebe, c'mon! We gotta get to the entrance!
Eh, you go on ahead. I'm sure they won't mind if I'm a minute late or so.

Anyway, with that stuff out of the way, might as well take the time to throw out some special thanks.

Firstly, a massive thanks to everyone who's posted in the thread so far! This might sound kind of weird, but every time I see someone post in the thread, it honestly kind of motivates me to know that there's a concrete example of someone who appreciates (or, at the least, can tolerate) the work I put into making updates.

Next, thanks to everyone who submitted characters at the start of the LP, both to those whose submissions I didn't go with (Hobgoblin2099, theshim, Erg, Txn, Level Seven, SC Bracer, Argent Cinereus, ZZT the Fifth), and those I did go with (Logicblade (Zack), Crosspeice (Nadia), C-Start (Phoebe), Supremezero (Freyja), Endorph (Realga), alcharagia (Stardust), jimmydalad (Milly), Kemix (Asriel), BlackPersona (Sophie), Dr. Fetus (Jackie), Scrap Dragon (Colette), TKMobile (Ursa), AweStriker (Rheine), and BlazeEmblem (Tyler)). It was a lot of fun, for someone who's never really done creative writing or fiction in any appreciable capacity, to take all these different types of characters and figure out how to write them!

Also thanks to my non-goon friends (excluding one), some of whom have kept up with the LP, some of whom I've just been talking to about doing this stuff: Becca, Jib, Ned, Heavy, Ben, Freak, Sapph, Yorsh, Oso, Efe (he's the goon), Crime, Sas, Glock, and Ranger. Yes, Ranger's name is derived from my friend whose online alias is basically Ranger--the LP's Ranger was originally supposed to be named Tim, but I discovered too late that you can't rename Story characters. (Incidentally, you've actually already seen almost everyone in that list, but not even realized it: "hat guy's guild" is the guild I use in every EO game, with characters named after those friends and I! Meaning, yes, I am "hat guy"-- I've collected a lot of hats in TF2 and Dota. :v:)

Of those I named above, extra-special thanks to Heavy, who is principally responsible for the character of Ranger (building off an idea originally posted by alcharagia) and has kept up with the LP to make sure Ranger was appropriately Ranger-y. Another extra special thanks to Efe, who is the one friend in that group who plays EO, and has kept up with the LP from start to finish, all the while helping me with narrative stuff, moral support during difficult parts of the LP (writer's block, irritating bosses), and making my life easier by voting for good parties of his own accord.

Yeh know they've come far if I'm taking the trouble to go see them! Haw haw haw! What's that yeh say? A barkeep shouldn't leave his bar...? Aw, don't yeh sweat that. We'll be open tomorrow! Ain't a blamed thing wrong with a barkeep shuttering for the day!
Wait a minute, they're safe?!
They killed that bastard Overlord 'n got the Grail 'a Kings?! Holy gods, Zack, they're heroes! WE'RE heroes!
C'mon, Tyler, let's get moving! We need to be the first to welcome them back down!

Continuing with the thanks, yet another thanks to alcharagia for providing the thread title, which was my absolute favorite out of all the ones posted in the EO Megathread despite being relevant to exactly one boss.

An incredible amount of thanks to Dr. Fetus, who's both directly and indirectly done a metric ton for the LP. Beyond just being a sounding board for ideas through Steam conversations, his assistance in datamining EO2U made the process go by a lot faster, and he's constantly offered so many corrections, both mechanically (typos) and game-wise (number errors, misinformation about some classes, etc.) Oh, yeah, he's also doing the Story mode LP. That's gotta count for something.

Speaking of Steam conversations, theshim, Tyty, and Hivac also deserve incredible amounts of thanks for just being on Steam for me to talk to, toss ideas by, check videos for any glaringly obvious issues, and for theshim and Hivac, occasionally being TF2 and Overwatch (respectively) partners.

Ah, but no. I can't indulge my bad habits... This is not the time for me to wallow in the past. Still...who would have thought that they'd become heroes of the city? I wonder what their faces will be like as they return. How should I greet them...? Haha, at last, something to look forward to.
Our friends have returned! Rejoice, Milly! We must get to the forest entrance at once, to welcome them back!
...Alright, sure. I'll admit, I'm actually pretty impressed. Now I just gotta figure out when I can get out of this place.
I'm so happy they're okay... And yet, I'm kinda jealous I didn't get to taste anything in the floating castle.
Judging by what the others have told me, perhaps you should be happy about that. Shall we get going to the entrance, Sophie?

I'm almost done with the thanks, I swear.

On the somewhat-technical end of things, thanks to Crosspeice, who provided a comprehensive list of item unlock requirements well before Dr. Fetus and I started datamining EO2U, and to Hobgoblin2099, whose food guide on GameFAQs has saved me so much time looking up pretty much anything related to FOEbucks food.

On a bit of a personal level, I suppose, thanks to Endorph, Hobgoblin2099, alcharagia, Dr. Fetus, Kemix, BlackPersona, BlazeEmblem, Crosspeice, who all responded with feedback after I made a post around a month ago asking how I was doing with the narrative. Seeing concrete feedback that my writing ability wasn't complete rear end gave me a pretty big morale boost, especially given that I consider myself bad at anything vaguely creative.

Oh, but we waste time. Minister Dubois! Make haste to ready the celebration for our heroes' return!

Why, it seems as though the people are already gathering. This will be quite the celebration...!

And, lastly, thank you. Yes, you, the person reading this block of text right now, even if you were already mentioned above. I realize that this kind of thanks is a bit cliche, but I don't really care.

The Ruler of Heaven is no more. And so...those explorers trapped in an endless cycle of torment can finally know peace.

We're still not done with the game, of course. There's still quite a lot to do in the postgame, so don't go anywhere! We've still got plenty of game left to go.

That's for later, though.

Their names will never be forgotten here... And that's true immortality.

For now, thank you for reading, and, from where I am at the time of writing, good night.

ef

Rea fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Aug 16, 2016

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

I'm Doctor Shibbo, and this is Jackass.
Nap Ghost
What a journey it's been. Spectacular work, Ragnar, through and through. Your narrative and creativity have been spectacular, as has the sheer quality of the playthrough. It's been an absolute delight reading along and I'm beyond eager to see how the postgame plays out. Fantastic job.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I'm glad I was able to help in all those different ways. The item unlock list was convenient timing, since I was unhappy with the general lack of info the 3DS games had. At least we shouldn't have any problems with any other EO LPs in future. It's really nice to contribute to a series that I love so much.

And thanks for doing the LP. Even though I played through EO2U to completion shortly before the LP, it was great fun to read to see what I had missed, strategies I didn't think of and to see all the delicious info we didn't really have before the LP. I will say I'm impressed you did this in only seven months. SSLPs are a lot of work and to make so many updates with a narrative between so many characters and keeping track of voting and showing off cool things and having so much raw info is seriously amazing and I couldn't really say how this LP could've be better. Congrats on making it to the (story) end!

Joeaverage
Aug 1, 2014
It's been a good LP so far. Rekindled my interest in the EO series, so I finally started on the 3DS games.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Great job killing Megatron, Ragnar. I'm glad I could help, even if it was only a little. :)

If you ever do MMSF again, I'll definitely follow the thread.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jun 13, 2016

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

good lp, 5/5

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Crosspeice posted:

I'm glad I was able to help in all those different ways. The item unlock list was convenient timing, since I was unhappy with the general lack of info the 3DS games had. At least we shouldn't have any problems with any other EO LPs in future. It's really nice to contribute to a series that I love so much.

Unless EO5 goes with a different compression format. :v: Kind of lucky we figured out how to break it during this LP.

Glad I could help. It's been a good LP. Looking forward to the post-game. (which is about as tough as a kitten. :v:)

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Update 20: Something You Probably and Definitely Shouldn't Be Reading at Work (Gentle Toad)

Don't say I didn't warn you!

Okay, it's time to take this quest. Cass' dialogue for this quest is the same as in Classic, so I'll just skip ahead a bit.

drat ridiculous if you think about it. Hot springs come from underground, so how would we get 'em up in a tree? ...Then again, it is the Yggdrasil Labyrinth we're talking about. Who knows what kind of weird stuff is in there.
If we do end up finding it, I better send a report about it back to the Midgard Library.
They might say that it's an amazing discovery. Isn't that right, Chloe?
...Huh? Chloe, you feeling okay? I thought you liked talking about this kinda thing.
She's being quiet for once. Just leave her be.
You could at least show some concern, old man... Hey, Chloe, are you sure you don't have a fever or anything? Are you feeling alright?
No fever. Just thinking.
Thinking? Of what?
A hot spring... I don't know what that is.
Huh? You don't?
No. First time hearing it. What's a hot spring?

Why don't we mess with her a bit?

...Knight. You shouldn't lie. If that really existed, I would be the world's leading expert on hot springs.
She's got a point.
Well, I'm sure it'll become clear if we actually manage to dig one up.

Okay, now let's head to the quest location.

Isn't the place the requester at the bar told us about around here? You know, where we might be able to find some hot springs?
Yes, I do believe this is it.
Really? A hot spring, in a place like this...? Well, Knight?

You can proceed ahead to find a possible location for a hot spring, or you can turn back for now.

Might as well go through.

Is this the hot spring place?
It was supposed to be around here somewhere... but we're going to need a little more room if we're going to dig.
Why don't we go in a little further?

You decide to head down the path in search of a place large enough to dig up a hot spring.

Sir Knight, why don't we try searching for a hot spring?

We have to dig in order to get this sidequest done.

Alright, we might as well get started. Everyone got their own shovel?
Yep.
Yes! We are fully prepared.

I'll be cheering from the sideline!
Yes, please do so.
Hey, hold on a sec, kid. That's my job.
It's not anyone's job! Old man, Knight, you both better get to work!
Blegh, what a pain.

Indeed, this requires a goodly amount of strength...
Hey, can't we call it quits? I think it's pretty clear we're not getting anywhere.
And it's dangerous to just keep digging straight downward, too. What're we gonna do if we dig through to the floor below us?
Hrgh... I-I didn't really think that was possible...

After some time, you notice that the hole you've dug is quite deep and wide. ...It may be time to call it. It doesn't seem likely that you'll find a hot spring here. Just as you find yourself thinking this, you realize the ground beneath your spade feels somewhat different... ...Could it be a hot spring?

Let's dig down at once.

At the sign of progress, you pull back the shovel and drive it fiercely into the ground!

Digging sounds.

...Whoa, kid...!?

Sounds of gushing water occur.

You look down, and see that water is gushing out from where you drove down the shovel! ...And this is no ordinary water. It appears to be steaming hot!

Huh? Whoa!? Th-This is amazing!

Surprised, you watch the hot water continue to pour out and fill the hole you dug.

...The hell just happened?
I did not know that a hot spring would well up in the Yggdrasil Labyrinth. And from a plant, no less! Could this be... sap?
Hot springs come from trees. You learn something new every day.
No, that's not how it works! Hot springs form when water heated underground somehow gets to the surface! It isn't made from tree sap!
But we're in a tree right now... so how would this water get heated underground?
...Huh!? Well, uh, th-that's...
Hmhmhm. We shouldn't worry about the details now that we've succeeded. Why don't we simply enjoy this new hot spring?

The devs are pretty much just admitting that this makes absolutely no sense. Look, just go along with their setup for this quest.

Ehh, all we had to do was just find the hot spring.

...I'll pass.
Ah. That's... unfortunate.
C-C'mon, Arianna. Really, you and Chloe should go enjoy it first.
Hm? You're not going to bathe either, Trand?
Yeah. I ain't in any big rush. You two ladies go on and enjoy it first.
Very well. Then... graciously accepted.
I'm looking forward to this!

As the two of them happily rejoice, the rest of you quietly file out of the room where the hot spring has formed...

I don't feel nervous.
Th-That's pretty impressive...

Wow. Real mature, Pervbert.

......! Somehow... it feels like I lost this battle...

A sound of a frog croaking plays.

As you wait outside while the two are bathing in the hot spring, an unfamiliar sound reaches your ears...

More croaking.

...Hey, Knight? What's that sound?
Sounds like frogs. Croaking up a storm.

More croaking, and then a crashing sound.

H-Hey, you don't think they've been found by a monster or something!? C'mon, Knight, we gotta go help!

A frog at a hot spring...?

Arianna! Forget the frog, your front...!

N-No, that's not what I... hglk...!
Eyes on the enemy, kid. We've got more important things to worry about right now!

Scatter About is the theme that plays for a few optional bosses in the EO games. I really hate the 3DS versions of the song, especially the the EO2U version. Anyway, Gentle Toad.

Gentle Toad
Level: 27
HP: 9000
STR: 27
TEC: 26
VIT: 23
AGI: 18
LUC: 23
Skills:
  • Heavy Jump: Uses the legs. Deals 150% melee STR-based Bash damage to one party member, with splash damage. Has an 80% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy at all levels.
  • Lick Around: Only used after Fixed Stare. Uses the head. Lowers the Fixed Stare target's physical/elemental defense by 30% for 4 turns. Attempts to inflict panic on the target, with an 80% base chance. Has an 80% speed modifier.
  • Hug: Only used after Fixed Stare. Uses the arms. Deals 180% melee STR-based Bash damage to the Fixed Stare target. Attempts to completely bind all of the target's body parts, with a 60% base chance. Has an 80% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
  • Hydro Jump: Only used while the Gentle Toad is in the excited state. Deals 200% ranged TEC-based Ice damage to each party memnber. Has a 60% speed modifier and 150 base accuracy.
  • Fixed Stare: Cannot be disabled. Telegraphs the target of either Lick Around or Hug.
  • Get Excited: Cannot be disabled. Gentle Toad enters the excited state for 3 turns.
  • Calm Down: Cannot be disabled. Gentle Toad exits the excited state.
Damage resistances:
100% 100% 100% 125% 50% 125%
Disable resistances:
0% 75% 50% 50% 50% 0% 50%
0% 0% 0%
50% 50% 50%

The Gentle Toad is honestly a very unremarkable boss. Actually, that goes for most of the DLC bosses. They're not very interesting boss fights. In fact, they're pretty :effort: in terms of design. I probably won't cover these too much, since they're a good deal easier than the Stratum bosses.

Like always, setting up a Delayed Chase.

...What.

...Okay then.

So yeah, there's the main attraction for this DLC. You get those portraits of Arianna and Chloe. For the record, Knight, Flavio, and Bertrand don't have those kinds of portraits.

Gentle Toad really isn't worth covering. The only time you need to be worried is when it gets excited, and if you have Ice Wall at level 5 like I do, that's 3 free turns to smack it down.

Now, I was trying to get its conditional drop, which required killing it with Bash damage. Normally not a problem, since Knight has Meteor strike, but he spent all of his Force too fast. Which meant that my only source of Bash damage was...

hooray for sticks!

Fortunately, it only took 3 turns of Arianna smacking it with her staff to kill it.

Really, it's an easy fight. It shouldn't give you much trouble as long as you can deal with Hug, Lick Around, and Hydro Jump. The strategy to deal with the thing in Story Mode is the same as in Classic. It just might take you a bit longer.

I thought we just had to dig a hot spring. Who'd have thought it'd lure some kind of frog thing over this way...?
That was the most awkward fight yet. Everyone splashing around… Gah, I'm soaked from head to toe.

...H-Huh!?

No! No no no! Nnno! That would be totally awkward! Inappropriate! Right, old man?
Mm? Well, we're all kind of filthy at this point... and the place is pretty huge, too. Might not be a bad idea, really.
W-Wait, you're in on this too!?
Knight, wh-what're we gonna do?

Both of these choices lead to the same dialogue.

This is the chance of a lifetime!
G-Gah! You too!?
Well then, as collective members of Guild Guild, let us all take some well-deserved relaxation.
Agreed.

https://gfycat.com/EssentialUnfitCarp.webm

Man... the hot water's so nice...
Yeah. Phew... Now this is living. All the snow, and the hot spring… the only thing still missing is some good, strong booze to go with it.
R-Right...
Flavio, what's wrong?
Huh!? Wh-Why!?
Your face is unnaturally red. Do you perhaps have a fever?
N-Nope! Nothing! Perfectly fine!
...Is that so?

https://gfycat.com/PoliteShinyFallowdeer.webm

My face is starting to get red too.
Oh, my--if I may advise? Perhaps you should get out of the hot water and lower your body temperature with the cold air.
Oooh. I see. You were right... It feels nice and cold now.
Ahah... Mm, this is quite relaxing. I wish we could remain like this forever.
...The sooner we get out of here, the better...
Oh dear... We offending your delicate sensibilities or something, kid?
Look, what am I supposed to do!? I didn't even get any time to mentally prepare myself...

It's a nice bath, though, isn't it?
Well, yeah, you're right about that. The new hot spring is great.
Man... you say that, but I still think we could do with a couple drinks...
Hey, Flavio. You wanna get my bottle for me?
What am I, your slave? Get it yourself!
Pardon, but is something the matter? I heard some yelling over there...

Just talking about how nice this is.
Indeed, this is quite wonderful. I've never bathed like this before, so it's a welcome surprise. Dame Chloe seems to be enjoying this as well. I'm glad that we took on this request.
Mhm... It's very nice... But I think I'm starting to feel lightheaded...
My, that's terrible. Perhaps we may have soaked for a little too long. I believe we've sufficiently warmed ourselves. Shall we get out?
Mm. I don't really want to leave, but okay.

...It felt very nice.
I have learned what a hot spring is. And I like it a lot. I want this at home too.

...I think I like bathing alone better.
Oh... That's unfortunate. I very much enjoyed the opportunity to chat and relax with you, Sir Knight.

She sounds slightly regretful, but swiftly changes the subject, suggesting that you all head back to town. You have completed the request to dig up a hot spring in the forest. You should head back to the bar when you have time, and report your success.

Incidentally, spending some time in the hot springs fully healed the party.

If you want to use those portraits, check the hot springs to switch over to them. But I'm not gonna be using those.

And that's the end of that quest. Before I close off this update, I would like to say one last thing.

If you plan on tackling a certain piece of post-game DLC, you'll want to make sure to get the conditional drop so you can get the equipment it unlocks for your entire party.

So you can get this. It's limited in stock, so you'll have to do the hot springs quest 5 times to get enough for the party.

Next time, back to the Labyrinth.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jun 14, 2016

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

hooray for sticks!

Yep. Heard that in her voice.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Flavoyeur is the single best line in Story and mad props to whoever at Atlus USA translated it that way.

I find it funny that the end of Classic mode is followed up by hot springs.

Efe
Feb 2, 2016

I make alive things dead and sometimes the other way around.
It's both cathartic to see the Overlord beaten in 12 turns, after all the trouble it gave me, and annoying because I'll forever be wondering "Why couldn't I do that?" Granted, it was my first run of the game and I don't think there was a boss I could end in less than 20 turns, but this is still a feat worth marveling at.

Bravo, Ragnar. Bravo. Yes I am the goon he's talking about

Also, I don't remember where I was when I first did that DLC quest, I just remember having to close my 3DS and wait until I got home. There are certain games I don't play in public for fear of prying eyes, and I didn't expect this would have ended up one of them ;_;

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Before I record the start of the postgame stuff (well, this first thing isn't really postgame, per se), I went back and tallied how many times each character was in a party throughout the main story.

quote:

Stardust: 9
Realga: 7
Rheine: 7
Ursa: 6
Phoebe: 6
Jackie: 5
Milly: 5
Sophie: 5
Tyler: 5
Ranger: 4
Asriel: 4
Freyja: 4
Nadia: 3
Zack: 3
Colette: 2

I'd say "poor Colette," but her usage is gonna spike like crazy in the postgame.

I will also take this opportunity to say that I am forcing the party to be of my own choosing for this first postgame-but-not-really thing.

• Locked thread