Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Especially since ZDoom lets you define more than eight angles for any given sprite, and renders of 3D models is probably the most feasible way to take advantage of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
This might be relevant to the whole "model --> sprites" thing:
http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=45155

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

This too, if you've got a palette you want to stick to.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I think there's a similiar tool in Max I can use for batch frames. I know it has SOMETHING that works like that, but god only knows where exactly it is.

Also... maybe i should start going to Doomworld or the Zdoom forums but I want to know a few things
1) can the screen itself rotate the camera point on axis, even slightly?
2) can you 'weaponize' sectors by treating them like gun emplacements or anything like that, or would I basically need to make 3D model actors to get that sort of thing with depth?
3) how easy is it to have a floor texture that moves? say, for making an area look like it's on a train or giant akira elevator?

Basically i'm just trying to figure out how much control i can have to make fancier boss fights and screen-space 'immersion' of sorts.

E: ^ yeah that's what i've been considering using, or atleast a similiar effect.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

1) GZDoom can roll the camera, if that's what you're asking. Vanilla ZDoom cannot. (Pitch and yaw are already the standard Y and X axes of mouselook, respectively.)

2) Not entirely sure what you mean by this. You want to fire projectiles from a sector or something? I kinda need an answer to that, too, though I was just gonna make an invisible Thing that starts out deactivated and activate it (with Thing_Activate) at certain points to just blindly fire projectiles in a given direction.

3) Scrolling floors has been a stock Boom-format action for forever.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Colon Semicolon posted:

1) can the screen itself rotate the camera point on axis, even slightly?
Possible with recent builds of GZDoom.
http://zdoom.org/wiki/SetActorRoll
http://zdoom.org/wiki/GetActorRoll
http://zdoom.org/wiki/ChangeActorRoll
http://zdoom.org/wiki/A_SetRoll

Colon Semicolon posted:

2) can you 'weaponize' sectors by treating them like gun emplacements or anything like that, or would I basically need to make 3D model actors to get that sort of thing with depth?
You're much better off using things (instead of sectors) for that. A custom thing with +USESPECIAL would be my bet. I'm pretty sure there are already some mods using that.
http://zdoom.org/wiki/DECORATE

Colon Semicolon posted:

3) how easy is it to have a floor texture that moves? say, for making an area look like it's on a train or giant akira elevator?
There are a bunch of sector types that naturally scroll in a predefined way, for more control you've got to use scroller specials.
http://zdoom.org/wiki/Sector_specials
http://zdoom.org/wiki/Category:Scrolling_specials

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Well, I'm working on something, but man is it taking forever, and it's a crapshoot as to whether something I build works or not, but at least I'm making progress.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
MY BUDDY SUPERFLY

Can't leave with him, can't leave without him, am I right?

Seriously though, is there a console command to teleport your buddies to you in Daikatana? I think I've gotten myself into a no-win situation in the 4th episode. I can't get them to follow me to the next area - there are two ways to get there, but one involves a gondola/elevator thing that they refuse to follow me into, and the other involves water that they refuse to follow me out of and will happily drown in if given the time.

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE NAZIS?
Check the walkthrough for that part it was confusing both times I went through there

http://dk.toastednet.org/walkthrough_ign.pdf

There's another spot like that in e4 later, with an elevator.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
No such luck.

quote:

Utilize the lever on the left. This opens a door into the locked docking area by the water. Board the cable
car ahead of you and descend to where you left Mikiko and Superfly. Together, the three of you must run
through the door towards the boats ahead. Watch out for the Rocketeers and Chaingunners that try to stop
you
The walkthrough seems to expect the buddies to be waiting for you where the cable car lands at the bottom, but they teleport to me when I leave the interior map, so depending on which of the two exits from that map I use, they're either trapped next to where the cable car gets off at the top, or stuck underwater.

Edit: Looked up some cheat codes and used the console to skip to the next map. It's not worth the trouble to try to find some "legit" way to trick the game into putting the followers where they should be, assuming it's even possible.

Lork fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Jun 11, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Dear diary, this morning I downloaded the ripped textures from Duke3D because I'm doing a map in an urban city environment in my level set. I was displeased that the 1000+ textures were in no way organized so I spent a long drat time organizing them into texture sets in Doom Builder 2. My fingers hurt from typing "DN(name of texture set)*" over and over for each set of textures but I like this a lot better and hopefully I'll never have to do it again!

edit: I'm starting to dabble in the world of using 3D floors and slopes, and the logic you have to follow to make it all work and fit together is blowing my drat mind. It's a very strange process.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jun 11, 2016

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
id just made a brief post about an upcoming update for Doom '16, amongst which is:

quote:

Added Classic DOOM weapon placement/view model option (1st person view option)

Now they just need a classic hud with Doomguy's face and we're all set!

(well, some mod tools wouldn't go amiss as well...)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I have no idea how you're going to be able to see what you're doing given the size of some of the weapons, but I'm excited to see what they come up with.

edit: Holy crap, making an apartment type building with a bunch of at least relatively unique rooms is way more time consuming than just making a regular-rear end Doom level. There's so much extra detailing to do.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 11, 2016

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Music time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ierylhxXMKg

Manny Charlton wrote this in '93 and sent it to id on a cassette with "To the guys and gals at ID who came up with the coolest game this side of hell, kick some demon butt to this!"

Secondly, https://soundcloud.com/johndio/doom4-music

A few years back some dude claimed to have music excerpts from 2011 Era Doom 4. I like these quite a bit, but I bet they're from somewhere else entirely and this dude just claimed they were from D4.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

A few years back some dude claimed to have music excerpts from 2011 Era Doom 4. I like these quite a bit, but I bet they're from somewhere else entirely and this dude just claimed they were from D4.
I'm too lazy to check if this is those, but a few tracks from The Old Doom 4 were leaked from Mick Gordon's website at one point. There were tracks called "The Daughter" and "The Humans". I think there was one more, but I can't find it right now.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

The Kins posted:

I'm too lazy to check if this is those, but a few tracks from The Old Doom 4 were leaked from Mick Gordon's website at one point. There were tracks called "The Daughter" and "The Humans". I think there was one more, but I can't find it right now.

"The Resistance" and "Demons".

I think I vaguely remember people claiming at least some of them were actually for a different game.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Cat Mattress posted:

"The Resistance" and "Demons".

I think I vaguely remember people claiming at least some of them were actually for a different game.
When Mick first posted them on his site they had "Doom 4" in the MP3 tags. Oops.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Did this John Dio guy write this or just upload it? The style is very reminiscent of Matt Uelmen.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Thanks for the info guys. I really dig these tracks.

Any other Hell on Earth scenario wad recommendations? I've played Hellbound and Doom 2 The Way Id Did.

Al Cu Ad Solte fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jun 11, 2016

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

I believe someone in the thread earlier said something about waiting for GOG's sale to include Quake and Doom and such?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Any other Hell on Earth scenario wad recommendations? I've played Hellbound and Doom 2 The Way Id Did.

Flashback to Hell

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

LogicalFallacy posted:

I believe someone in the thread earlier said something about waiting for GOG's sale to include Quake and Doom and such?

Ah, yeah, I grabbed Quake yesterday as well as Turok and System Shock. Now I have a problem where I can't download Quake, but Turok and System Shock worked just fine. I just want the data files for the expansions, come on GOG.

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
As far as UT2004 mods are concerned, the big one that isn't it's own game is Ballistic Weapons. That fucker owns bones. Other than that, most other mods are going to be mutators or weapon packs.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
http://www.moddb.com/mods/mayhem-mansion/videos
:wtc:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

According to the Zdoom forums thread, it's explicitly inspired by Exploding Lips and probably Nitemare 3D, two very old obscure FPSes. (There's sprites ripped from the former and I think some wall textures from the latter, if not more?) Those games were interesting but played horribly from what I've seen, so taking them and redoing them in ZDoom so they aren't horrible to actually control is a pretty good idea!

Yeah, it's weird and very early 90s in so many ways, which is exactly what its inspiration was like. Just smoother. I think that's pretty good, TBH.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

This mod is awesome, play it asap.

edit: That goes for the rest of you too.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
By the same author, also recommended: Beyond Reality where you'll fight crate monsters, tiny demons, and flying mugshots, and Unhinged which tries to be less goofy and more spooky.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I have realized the problem with using the Duke3D assets, which is that they are goddamn huge. Everything is like twice as big occupancy-wise as the Doom textures. Poor midget Doomguy can't reach the cabinets in his own kitchen and his apartment has a door that's the same size as a giant bulkhead on a space station.

"I'd rip and tear the demons, but all my guns are up there on the top shelf..."

edit:

"I would be mad about having to jump to reach the handle but the rent here is so manageable...."

I kind of want to make a mod now about the daily struggles of Doomguy in a world that is twice his size because of texture size differences.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jun 12, 2016

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Didn't Duke3D offer some insane SVGA resolutions, like 800x600 or something equally ludicrous?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
You can scale textures in UDMF.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Arivia posted:

According to the Zdoom forums thread, it's explicitly inspired by Exploding Lips and probably Nitemare 3D, two very old obscure FPSes. (There's sprites ripped from the former and I think some wall textures from the latter, if not more?) Those games were interesting but played horribly from what I've seen, so taking them and redoing them in ZDoom so they aren't horrible to actually control is a pretty good idea!

Yeah, it's weird and very early 90s in so many ways, which is exactly what its inspiration was like. Just smoother. I think that's pretty good, TBH.

I played Nitemare 3D on a dare from here a year or so ago.

You do not want to play Nitemare 3D. Trust me.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

This explains where some of the weirder sprites in the build modding community have originated.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Cat Mattress posted:

You can scale textures in UDMF.

Time to switch to UDMF then!

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Duke Hard looks amazing, shame I never got around to it when I did my big BUILD games playthrough. I wish more of the Duke 3d mods kept that same gonzo sense of humor the original series and the add-ons (well, D.C. and Beach).

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

closeted republican posted:

I played Nitemare 3D on a dare from here a year or so ago.

You do not want to play Nitemare 3D. Trust me.

I will definitely believe you on that front. I never want to play Exploding Lips, either. How Marphy does it I don't know…

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Narcissus1916 posted:

Duke Hard looks amazing, shame I never got around to it when I did my big BUILD games playthrough. I wish more of the Duke 3d mods kept that same gonzo sense of humor the original series and the add-ons (well, D.C. and Beach).

There were only two duke expansions, though? :confused:

(Nuclear winter was much more representative of DNF then the original dukes in the end.)

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

CJacobs posted:

I have realized the problem with using the Duke3D assets, which is that they are goddamn huge. Everything is like twice as big occupancy-wise as the Doom textures. Poor midget Doomguy can't reach the cabinets in his own kitchen and his apartment has a door that's the same size as a giant bulkhead on a space station.

"I'd rip and tear the demons, but all my guns are up there on the top shelf..."

edit:

"I would be mad about having to jump to reach the handle but the rent here is so manageable...."

I kind of want to make a mod now about the daily struggles of Doomguy in a world that is twice his size because of texture size differences.

at first I thought you were making Papyrus' kitchen from Undertale.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Ahh, these shelves are much more appropriate for someone of Doomguy's stature. UDMF's insane amount of minute tooling you can do is going to get me sent to an asylum but it's a lot of fun to gently caress around with.

A.o.D. posted:

at first I thought you were making Papyrus' kitchen from Undertale.

:haw: Ohhh mannn don't tempt me

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Tippis posted:

Didn't Duke3D offer some insane SVGA resolutions, like 800x600 or something equally ludicrous?

It only offers up to 800x600 in the setup program but if you edit a .cfg it'll do any arbitrary resolution.

https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=40074

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Extremely silly question: I want to do a light switch in UDMF format because I'm insane. Is there a way to make light switches that toggle the light value in a sector between two values, without using scripting? The most I've been able to figure out with just actions is turning the lights off, but I dunno how to make it toggleable so they can come back on.