Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Gelt basically a wizard though, I don't believe they get access to a pegasus at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogarts
Mar 1, 2009

oswald ownenstein posted:

Orc magic sucks and feels a complete waste of time and effort

18% more armor piercing for 10 seconds - so exciting

Ere' we go! or whatever its called is a great buff. Its +58 attack for over 30 seconds in a AOE.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

To get Gitsnik, I need to deploy a goblin agent in East Border Princes. Problem is that's all controlled by a human co-op partner and the game isn't letting me.

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay. Time to bribe him to let a rebellion happen.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Light Wizards have the Net of Amyntok which is a Snare that instantly stops units. IN AN AOE.

It's a loving incredible spell. You can just outright deny a cavalry charge with it.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Fans posted:

Light Wizards have the Net of Amyntok which is a Snare that instantly stops units. IN AN AOE.

It's a loving incredible spell. You can just outright deny a cavalry charge with it.

Bright wizards suck in comparison. Which is a shame, since they're the big actual battle wizards in the lore.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
gently caress me Kharak Hirn are dumb. I raze the poo poo out of Kharak Izor for them whom they've been at war with the entire game and set the coordination target to finish them off at their last settlement? What do they do? Sprint in the opposite direction through corruption to fight the loving Varg or something.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Klaus88 posted:

Bright wizards suck in comparison. Which is a shame, since they're the big actual battle wizards in the lore.

This is wrong, fireball is a great spell, flaming bolts is decent. The buffs are also solid.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Fans posted:

Catching a bunch of things in net in full vision of gunners is a beautiful thing.

Also if you overcast it's 20 seconds long.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Shumagorath posted:

gently caress me Kharak Hirn are dumb. I raze the poo poo out of Kharak Izor for them whom they've been at war with the entire game and set the coordination target to finish them off at their last settlement? What do they do? Sprint in the opposite direction through corruption to fight the loving Varg or something.

Clearly the Varg have been assholes to them.

A grudge is a grudge. It must be fulfilled. :argh:

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

unwantedplatypus posted:

This is wrong, fireball is a great spell, flaming bolts is decent. The buffs are also solid.

The simple ability to deny your opponents mobility is the most useful and potentially brutal thing I've ever seen in total war.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
"Actually, no, I think Grimgor and friends want to hang out right in front of my gunline for a bit, then get charged."

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

Catching a bunch of things in net in full vision of gunners is a beautiful thing.

Also if you overcast it's 20 seconds long.

Yeah, the net is amazing. Bright wizards, though, aren't completely pointless. I've found them great for clearing out fodder. And, as someone else pointed out, the buffs can be pretty nice.

Although, considering cav charges can sometimes really waste even braced halbadiers/spearmen (at least in a few recent battles) that net is really hard to overpraise. I wiped out an attempted flank charge of knights of the realm with the net, handgunners, and my outriders with grenades. Left his infantry tied up by my better quality troops/crossbows and allowed my demis and reiksguard to take on the rest of his cavalry. Pretty clutch spell.

Also, during a chaos invasion, I thought about the end times a bit more. I think it would've gone over well if it was basically mutual annihilation of most or all of the powers that be in the WHFB fiction. Then you could've really started entirely fresh without using the same basic breakdown for good guys, bad guys, and everything in between.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I think I'm burnt out on Vampires and ready to give this game a rest. The Empire and Bretonnia both paid hefty sums for peace but both of their kingdoms are still huge (Bretonnia is all the way down the west coast minus one Estalia province). Not sure I want to run another hundred turns like I did with Chaos, and the sad thing is because Altdorf still stands I don't even get a Short Victory.

Archonex posted:

Clearly the Varg have been assholes to them.

A grudge is a grudge. It must be fulfilled. :argh:
But they have Border Princes fighting them in my back yard :psydwarf:

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Bright Wizards with their kindling passive are about as good as you can get right now for aoe damage spells. You have to use the right spell in the right situation though, Flaming Skull actually does more raw damage than Flame Tornado and inflicts a heavy morale debuff on top, it's the ideal vortex for dropping on a big pile of weak troops.

Flame Tornado's thing meanwhile is that it's almost purely AP damage, so it's more effective against Dwarves and Chaos Warriors.

Celestial Wizards OTOH seem awful right now. They've got like one good buff and a bunch of weak damage spells.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i popped the two bright wizard buffs on a line of empire swordsmen and they went toe to toe with a big line of Chaos Warriors for a surprisingly long time (really an entire battle)

they good

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jun 12, 2016

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
What is up with auto resolve?

I go up to an dwarf army with 3 artillery and some longbeards/ironbreakers/etc and auto resolve says super in my favor. Go into the fight and get completely wrecked - giants, trolls, black orcs etc. just melt like nothing

Also boar boys loving suck dick

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
The big problem with bright wizards is that they take up the same limited slot as a Light Wizard. At least Necromancers don't take up the same slots as their betters.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

autoresolve tends to dislike big guys for whatever reason right now - during my most recent empire win i literally never fought on the battlefield outside of one quest mission, because bringing up massive manwalls of swords, spears, and crossbows was just more effective.

e: also as a long time fan of warhammer anything, the event you get the turn after you wipe out Chaos Warriors that ends the End Times and the +2 chaos corruption global event is one of the most cathartic things i've seen in a long time.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Coolguye posted:

e: also as a long time fan of warhammer anything, the event you get the turn after you wipe out Chaos Warriors that ends the End Times and the +2 chaos corruption global event is one of the most cathartic things i've seen in a long time.

loving yes to this.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

Coolguye posted:

autoresolve tends to dislike big guys for whatever reason right now - during my most recent empire win i literally never fought on the battlefield outside of one quest mission, because bringing up massive manwalls of swords, spears, and crossbows was just more effective.

I mean auto resolve was heavy in my favor, but I actually played the battle and it was a huge slog with a ton of losses

I thought legendary units only got bonus leadership? Routing isn't the problem here

foolish_fool
Jul 22, 2010
Dwarves seem pretty scary to fight in actual battles. At least as orks. They just refuse to die/rout. I finished a whole campaign entirely on auto-resolve because every time I tried an actual battle the dwarves crushed me.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

foolish_fool posted:

Dwarves seem pretty scary to fight in actual battles. At least as orks. They just refuse to die/rout. I finished a whole campaign entirely on auto-resolve because every time I tried an actual battle the dwarves crushed me.

I created a subterranean battle against thorgrim + like 4 ironbreakers, some hammerers and longbeards, 3 thunderers and maybe 3 artillery plus quarrelers

I brought grimgor, orc shaman, 3 doom divers, 2 giants, 2 trolls, 3 savage orc arrer boyz, 3 big'uns, 3 black orcs and 2 boar rider biguns and got completely raped. AI plays a lot better than me but the auto-resolve thing showed an easy win. I'm probably just bad so I'll just play auto resolve, which for greenskins seems to be the way to go anyway

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
From several pages back the autoresolve codes is basically skewed from the Rome 2 days where sieging with elephants would guarantee the unit was wiped out. Now scale that to single-man units.

If you're having trouble on the field try playing in slo-mo until all your units are engaged. It'll help you avoid situations where the enemy routes and your soldiers stand idle. The overhead map (scroll all the way out) is also good for stuff like forest maps where it's hard to see what's going on.

Coolguye posted:

What is it? Vampires don't get poo poo.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jun 12, 2016

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
There are definitely situations the auto resolve will give you favorable odds that you just can't match in actual play, but there are also a handful of fights you can win that auto resolve won't, so I guess it balances out.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Mazz posted:

There are definitely situations the auto resolve will give you favorable odds that you just can't match in actual play, but there are also a handful of fights you can win that auto resolve won't, so I guess it balances out.

In my limited experience, fortunately you can usually tell which fights are which at a glance so I'm rarely disappointed in either outcome.

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib
I think I'm done playing Empire now, just finished a perfect steamroll game: http://webmshare.com/MengB

Only playing on Normal so it might not work that well on harder difficulties but going south gets your economy going just as things get tough. Karl even had time to trash some Orc hovel for 5 turns and swing by the quest for the hammer. By turn 80 I had three armies trashing Chaos armies before they could enter Kislev, the vikings managed to send one army to Marienburg and were never seen again.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
had a pretty amazing fight that I would've just straight lost with auto-resolve which wound up being a close defeat instead - dwarves (me) vs. orcs, outnumbered 3 to 1, but for whatever reason the enemy lord was at like 5% health coming into the fight, so I just set up my line on a hill and let him come to me and then as they got close I had my lord + a hero rush out and sucker punch their lord to death before running back to my line

that made it a lot closer but i still only had like 6 squads + the lord and hero vs. 15 or so, so it was a battle of them picking off my units one by one vs. his units breaking and getting killed by grudge throwers one by one. it came down to just my lord and the hero versus four units of arrow boyz and i killed two of them before losing

end results: 366 dwarves, killed to a man dwarf. enemy army, ~1050 greenskins, ~650 lost including their lord. army got taken over by a fresh level 1 lord and then it got ran down by border princes and barak varr a few turns later.

e: and my lord personally killed 127 orcs

President Ark fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jun 12, 2016

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
How does multiplayer campaign work anyway? Can it be co-op? Does everyone get to watch your battles being fought? Can they participate even if they don't have an army in there?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Drakenel posted:

How does multiplayer campaign work anyway? Can it be co-op? Does everyone get to watch your battles being fought? Can they participate even if they don't have an army in there?

two player, functions like normal campaign. yes. you have to spectate or the battle is auto resolved. you can either control the enemy force in head to head mode, or you can be gifted units to control as a spectator.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Shumagorath posted:

What is it? Vampires don't get poo poo.

Image spoiled:

There's a bit more (as you can see by the scroll bar). It refers to: the fact that now that Chaos is gone, old rivalries will resurface and wars will start up again, referring to the removal of the "shield of Civilization" diplomatic buff. It's not as important as the final, tired gently caress-yeah of that image, though, so screw it I'm not screenshotting it.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i remember seeing that for the vampires, although the text was different, with a more direct reference to lots and lots of corpses

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Deified Data posted:

In my limited experience, fortunately you can usually tell which fights are which at a glance so I'm rarely disappointed in either outcome.

Idk about for you, but for me it's this:
Auto resolve against Norscans and Dwarves. Situational against Humans/Brets and Orcs. Always battle against Vampires if it's a close match or worse.

Dwarves are a pain to fight with the loads of anti-charge they have combined with great ranged options and high leadership, Norse are kind of a waste of time to chase down and you'll receive more losses.
Sniping a vampire lord is so good for fights, you will always do way better than auto-resolve.

Another thing to note, I initiated a fight with Heinrich, it was sided towards him for resolve. Backed out, assassinated him with a Witch Hunter, and it was now like 90% in my favour. Assassination is op against vampires yall

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Nasgate posted:

Another thing to note, I initiated a fight with Heinrich, it was sided towards him for resolve. Backed out, assassinated him with a Witch Hunter, and it was now like 90% in my favour. Assassination is op against vampires yall

that works on other armies. auto resolve puts a high emphasis on a general's rank

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
That seems like fair advice. In the Legendary Dwarf campaign I just finished, there were two battles towards the end that I won manually despite the autoresolve bar being almost entirely red.

The first was a walled city defense: a full stack of elite troops under Thorgrim backed up by a tier 3 walled garrison verses Archaon and Kholek's two stacks of Chosen, giants, Spawn, and hellcannons. I won by keeping all my towers manned until the Chosen overran the wall, then I fell back to the city square, keeping archers in it, on a ramp above the main gate, with melee blocking the ramp. Pyrrhic victory.

The second was two stacks of Ironbreakers, Quarellers, and Gyrocopters defending in the field against 4 almost full stacks of high-tier undead led by Mannfred. I won by forming a circle of ironbreakers on a hilltop and using gyrocopters to snipe lords, heroes, and monsters, then bringing them into melee to flank. Heroic victory.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Killing other vamp generals and lords with a bunch of vargheists after their dumb chaff wades in and then dissolves is pretty fun.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

two player, functions like normal campaign. yes. you have to spectate or the battle is auto resolved. you can either control the enemy force in head to head mode, or you can be gifted units to control as a spectator.

Thanks for the answers. You're awesome.

It feels like battles that you're going to lose (Full red bar on autoresolve) should be fought on the battlefield anyway, if only to inflict more than ~5 casualties on the enemy. Also the chance that the game is way overcompensating the effectiveness of enemy artillery. (The actual first fight against the chaos doomstack had me winning a fight that I had no business prevailing in. But of course, enemy doesn't protect their artillery. one bat unit and two injured calvary units later and the front line is wondering why they're getting lances shoved up their rear end.)

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Are catbirds capable of dying outside autoresolve?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Where's the button that lets you gift units to a spectator?

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Yvonmukluk posted:

Where's the button that lets you gift units to a spectator?

It's a small button by the unit portrait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athropos
May 4, 2004

"Skeletons are Number One! Flesh just slows you down."
Time to see if this gimmick army will work!

• Locked thread