Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Dustoph posted:

Are we going full circle that now cars are GWM if you use them as your primary residence?

Only if they're immobile. No maintenance required!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
I just anchor my house boat in the east river.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

So good to see AI firing back after years of poo poo from BFC.

That AirBnB is total dogshit but it's not BWM. When it burns down, it will be Bad With Life x20 though.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Nitrox posted:

There was a flurry of misinformed and ridiculous responses since I posted the cargo van option.

Nope, sorry advocating sleeping in a cargo van on a city street in New York is still loving stupid. Might even be dumber than shanty town, especially if it's at all cold out.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Nitrox posted:

Are you thinking of a Uhaul boxtruck or something?

[...]

Are you saying it's worse than this?

I am thinking of a box truck, yeah.

I'm not saying it's worse than that, just that it's a bad idea. Though again I was thinking of a larger vehicle.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

That Brooklyn factory being converted to lots of tiny rooms reminds me of a cool sci-fi story Ballard wrote:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billennium_(short_story)

Probably bad with sanity, staying there

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.

Old Binsby posted:

That Brooklyn factory being converted to lots of tiny rooms reminds me of a cool sci-fi story Ballard wrote:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billennium_(short_story)

Probably bad with sanity, staying there

I had completely forgotten about this story. I think I originally read it in Dark Stars. It would fit the overall dystopian theme of that book.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

I'm just going to leave this here.

quote:

When looking for a place to live, people are generally looking for three things: affordability, a strong economy, and good quality of life. Most US cities can only claim excellence in one of these areas. A dozen cities specialize in two. But if you truly want it all, you only have three choices.

And they’re all in the Midwest.

That’s the finding of Josh Lehner at the Oregon Office of Economic Analysis, who explored what’s being called the “housing trilemma”—the idea that due to the housing crisis, Americans have to make big tradeoffs in deciding where to live. Lehner looked at the 100 largest metropolitan areas in the country, comparing them for quality of life, affordability and economic strength across several metrics using Census data and several other indicators.

According to his data (which you can see here), if you want a city that excels in all three, you have just three choices:

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Omaha, Nebraska
Des Moines, Iowa
From Gizmodo

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Is the Midwest anywhere between the Appalachians and the Rockies? Or how is Oklahoma Midwest?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Fine, fine, paging Jastiger.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Des Moines supremacy.

Too bad there's absolutely nothing there for my industry and I don't have a US work permit.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Omaha is pretty not bad, especially when you take cost of living into account.

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

I don't know Omaha that well but i do know delicious steak can right a lot of wrongs.

Obsolete
Jun 1, 2000

As a resident of Oklahoma City, do not loving move here. This place is a 50 gallon drum filled with crazy people. The new renovations to the boating district are really nice though.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

The Leck posted:

From Gizmodo

they must have an odd definition of "good quality of life"

Hufflepuff or bust!
Jan 28, 2005

I should have known better.
Good With Money:

Owning a famous stud that earns a ton of money for getting it on with other horses.

Bad with...well I guess this is still fine: The Stud Who hosed Himself to Death

brunch with yr parents
Jan 6, 2013

SWEATBOX SYMPHONY

The Leck posted:

From Gizmodo

Des Moines, Iowa! Perfect example!

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

kaishek posted:

Good With Money:

Owning a famous stud that earns a ton of money for getting it on with other horses.

Bad with...well I guess this is still fine: The Stud Who hosed Himself to Death

Worst With Money: Killing your famous stud to collect the insurance money, then going bankrupt anyway and getting sent to prison thus destroying the legacy of the greatest Thoroughbred farm in America.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Obsolete posted:

boating district

From GWM to BWM in two words

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Shipon posted:

they must have an odd definition of "good quality of life"
From the spreadsheet with the data:

So their quality of life is that they're too small & boring to have much crime, located in flat areas with decent climates, don't have enough traffic or heavy industry to get poor air quality, and are cheap places to live(which is a bit weird since that would include housing costs, which are already being measured as a separate factor...). And if you look in the data, they don't really 'excel' in QOL -They're all clumped in the low end of the middle if you sort by QOL percentile. I guess 'has tolerable quality of life' makes a worse headline, though. :v:

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 12, 2016

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

It's so terrible here in the Midwest where we can afford housing without packing 4 people into a tiny apartment, the air quality is fair, we have internationally known hospitals, a thriving arts and music community, it takes 10 minutes to get to a real airport and 20 to a university, you can generally walk down the street without getting mugged, and where we have one of the lowest unemployment rates in the nation.

It's cool if you think the coast or whatever city you live in is better. But if you don't actually speak from experience, all you're doing is regurgitating something that isn't even clever.

Also a million people is not a small city. It's not huge but it certainly isn't small.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I live in the midwest! I grew up here! I know that all that stuff is cool, but I also have experience with moderately sized midwestern cities that are still boring to me. I'll admit part of it's culture fit, but that doesn't invalidate what I said.

The midwestern cities I would recommend are more along the lines of Milwaukee, Madison, or Ann Arbor(which really is a small city), but that's just me. Hell, even Chicago's okay if you don't mind somewhere more expensive.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jun 12, 2016

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

NancyPants posted:

we have internationally known hospitals

Is this important because of how often people try to kill themselves because they're stuck living in the Midwest?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

pr0zac posted:

Is this important because of how often people try to kill themselves because they're stuck living in the Midwest?

Yes. Obviously.

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx
Any city without a subway has a quality of life of 0, imo

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
what's your favorite restaurant to go to for sushi, Applebees or Hometown Buffet?

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

There's some good spots in the midwest, like in Omaha they have this neat little downtown area with like two whole independent businesses and ahahahhah who am I loving kidding the midwest blows goats.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

The best thing about that article is how it prompted a bunch of people living in expensive coastal metros to get really defensive

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

To add fuel to the regionchat tire fire, here is a very interesting chart by Pew showing access and participation rates in 401K plans by state and region: http://www.pewtrusts.org/en/multimedia/data-visualizations/2016/employer-based-retirement-plan-access-and-participation-across-the-50-states

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Pryor on Fire posted:

There's some good spots in the midwest, like in Omaha they have this neat little downtown area with like two whole independent businesses and ahahahhah who am I loving kidding the midwest blows goats.

Hey buddy you have to actually leave the airport to see Omaha, hth

Oh man "hth" now fills in "I'm a huge prick" that is actually hilarious

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Quote is not edit

flynt
Dec 30, 2006
Triggerhappy and gunshy

pig slut lisa posted:

To add fuel to the regionchat tire fire, here is a very interesting chart by Pew showing access and participation rates in 401K plans by state and region: http://www.pewtrusts.org/en/multimedia/data-visualizations/2016/employer-based-retirement-plan-access-and-participation-across-the-50-states

I was going to brag about having awesome retirement planning for living in Florida but this prob explains how every guy I've dated is garbage when it comes to finances.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Why would anyone ever fly to Omaha? Do they even have fuel for planes at the airport there or do you have to bring your own?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Pryor on Fire posted:

Why would anyone ever fly to Omaha? Do they even have fuel for planes at the airport there or do you have to bring your own?

Omaha and Lincoln depressed me so much that I accepted a job in loving Indiana rather than move to either of them. (And then I said 'gently caress Indiana' within two years and moved to a coast.)

quote:

regionchat tire fire

I don't know why, but I seriously love this expression.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

pig slut lisa posted:

I want a related map showing the inverse relationship between levels of undocumented workers and availability of decent carne asada burritos.

It's very GWM to live in a lovely town where there's nothing to spend your money on. However, if you are frugal and can maintain a high savings rate, it makes sense to live in a HCOL place when you're young since saving 15% of your income in a high income area will get you off on the right foot. Then, when you're old and have given up on life, you move to Des Moines. Win-win!

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
If we're having region chat, I recently moved to Kingston Ontario. The guacamole I just ate had olives in it. Canada is weird.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Kingston is basically the midwest of Ontario. I don't think it's Canada that's weird.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

pig slut lisa posted:

i thought new york, mass and california would top these charts

why is access so low in the more urbanized states?

moana
Jun 18, 2005

the talent deficit posted:

why is access so low in the more urbanized states?
lots more illegal immigrants and service workers in urban areas. Also fewer union jobs, I'm guessing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

pig slut lisa posted:

I love that scranton and Grand Rapids Wyoming top the list of cities

• Locked thread