Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Vegetable posted:

When you're trying to sell something online, how do you know how much it costs to ship it? How do you even measure the shipping cost of, say, jeans?

Also, people in SA Mart seem to be able to give firm estimates from the get-go even though they don't yet know where their recipient will be. Is it just that shipping costs don't vary that much? Because in my experience it does.

I've shipped thousands of items and I have always used USPS. Don't even bother with FedEx or UPS. USPS also offers flat rate packages where its as many items / weight you can put into a specific box / envelope and it ships for a fixed amount. USPS is the way to go, trust me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Busy Bee posted:

I've shipped thousands of items and I have always used USPS. Don't even bother with FedEx or UPS. USPS also offers flat rate packages where its as many items / weight you can put into a specific box / envelope and it ships for a fixed amount. USPS is the way to go, trust me.
^^ They have small, medium, and large flat-rate boxes. So you look at your item and decide which one it will fit in, and then you have a fixed shipping cost anywhere in the US.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

photomikey posted:

^^ They have small, medium, and large flat-rate boxes. So you look at your item and decide which one it will fit in, and then you have a fixed shipping cost anywhere in the US.

Not even just boxes but padded envelopes too. And it's all priority mail so two day shipping to most locations in the US with tracking and $50 insurance with the option to get more insurance. Also, I can't repeat enough to never ever use FedEx or UPS. The only reason they are in business is due to their major contracts with all the different e-tailers and other businesses. They are really not meant for us regular folk.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Occasionally I'm seeing these vids online where I think it's muslim dudes dancing in circles
Like this: https://vine.co/v/emPjiXVxbjT
What is it, what's it called and why is it happening?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Crankit posted:

Occasionally I'm seeing these vids online where I think it's muslim dudes dancing in circles
Like this: https://vine.co/v/emPjiXVxbjT
What is it, what's it called and why is it happening?

Sufism is a practice within Islam that involves kinds of dance as a form of meditation.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
Anime incoming:

How big of a deal is the family connections in the Japanese business/political communities? Such as anime making a big deal out of heirs and succession of businesses purely due to family connections, like marrying into a family or being the eldest son/daughter bit. And on the other side of the coin do other parts of the world place a big emphasis on family connections in business or is all of this just a rare fictional trope in today's modern world.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Why do some blood banks not let you donate if you're gay or had sex for money? I mean don't they test all the blood for HIV regardless?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
*big echoey voice effect* We're Afraid of Gays

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Jewel Repetition posted:

Why do some blood banks not let you donate if you're gay or had sex for money? I mean don't they test all the blood for HIV regardless?

poo poo's expensive yo. I think they pool blood from X donors and test the pooled batch. Homoxexuals (used to I think) a larger % chance of being HIV positive, thus ruining your batch. At some point it was decided the best option was to just exclude people with a higher % chance.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Jewel Repetition posted:

Gotta do everything you can to minimize risk since the tests might not be 100%. Hiv blood is the last thing someone receiving blood products needs, so better safe than sorry. They also don't let IV drug users give. It's one of those utilitarian medical practices that sounds creepy but is actually just about math and caution.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Jewel Repetition posted:

In addition to the previous comments, the sensitivity on HIV tests is somewhere around 99.5% I believe, which means that out of 1000 HIV positive submissions, 5 will be labeled as false negatives. These tests are not perfect.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Busy Bee posted:

I understand that but Xfinity offers certain individual international channels such as TV France or TV Japan for $10 - $25 a month. It's just one channel so I'm wondering if that would be possible to just sign up for that and not get any of the other TV Cable package.

They have to give you the local broadcast channels on your cable package. So at best you could haggle your way to just the local broadcast channels plus that one other channel (but it ain't likely).

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Busy Bee posted:

Agreed. I ship a ton of stuff, and the private carriers are only necessary for overnight or guaranteed 2nd-day delivery. USPS Priority Mail is our default service, and it almost always arrives in 2 days. We're shipping from the center of the country, so that helps.

And we almost always use Priority Mail Regional Rate boxes, which you have to order from the USPS website, but they're free, and they cost less to ship than comparable size flat-rate boxes. The smallest Regional Rate box is about the same size as the medium flat-rate box, and costs anywhere from $6 to $10 postage, depending on the destination. Medium flat-rate is about $13.50.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Chillyrabbit posted:

Anime incoming:

How big of a deal is the family connections in the Japanese business/political communities? Such as anime making a big deal out of heirs and succession of businesses purely due to family connections, like marrying into a family or being the eldest son/daughter bit. And on the other side of the coin do other parts of the world place a big emphasis on family connections in business or is all of this just a rare fictional trope in today's modern world.

The family networking thing is huge in Japan, especially in the zaibatsu but to some extent even in small businesses. I can't speak for other continents, but in North America, it's huge. Look at the Bush and Trudeau families in politics, the Ford and Bronfman families in business. In Mexico, politics were dominated throughout the 20th century by a small number of families, and big businesses like Bimbo are owned and run by generations of family.

AlbieQuirky fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jun 12, 2016

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

USPS is pretty great. I breed and sell amphibians, and tend to ship salamanders via USPS. Most of the time, USPS overnight works great, on time delivery ~95% of the time. That said, roughly 1-5% of the time, something happens and the package is delayed or there's an issue. With a live animal, that's still a big risk, so I generally ship dart frogs via FedEx - it's more expensive, but they're more reliable that way - the difference being that a salamander can survive 2+ days in shipping while a dart frog is less likely to do so, so if there is a mistake, it's not a disaster. Out of maybe 2,000 animals I've shipped over the past 15 years or so, I've had ~5 DOA via USPS, with a handful of additional delays or other issues. Basically, my point is that USPS handles my packages and is reliable enough that I can trust them with fragile, living animals - whatever you're shipping should be fine if you pack it right, and it'll be cheaper than anyone else.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Can you please send me a salamander? I haven't seen one in years and when I was a kid I once crushed one under a rock because my parents wanted me to put it back in its home so I feel like I need to be a salamanderfriend.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Memento posted:

I've played Crashlands and Puzzle Forge II recently and enjoyed them. Also, Chrono Trigger is on the Play Store now, and that's a classic.

I did manage to grab a couple of things and then learned that your credit expires one year after your last reward. Oh well!

Another question because I can't seem to find the forums in-jokes thread: What is the origin of the "X CURES Y" usernames? The oldest one I can think of is "PLANES CURE TOWERS" and I remember seeing "AATREK CURES KIDS" at some point too.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Mak0rz posted:

I did manage to grab a couple of things and then learned that your credit expires one year after your last reward. Oh well!

Another question because I can't seem to find the forums in-jokes thread: What is the origin of the "X CURES Y" usernames? The oldest one I can think of is "PLANES CURE TOWERS" and I remember seeing "AATREK CURES KIDS" at some point too.

AIDS CURES FAGS

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Are these 'clothes clubs' like Five Four or Trunk Club generally worth it? I've got a friend of a friend who is a stylist for one so I can get a slight discount, wondering if they generally get positive reviews.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Johnny Truant posted:

Are these 'clothes clubs' like Five Four or Trunk Club generally worth it? I've got a friend of a friend who is a stylist for one so I can get a slight discount, wondering if they generally get positive reviews.

Trunk Club has nice stuff but is unholy expensive. If you don't mind dropping $100+ on almost every item, they'll get you good clothes.

Five four is absolute poo poo tier garbage. I'm almost positive they built unbranded garments and sew their label on. The quality ranges from a decent pair of raw denim to a black pullover that was literally so thin I could see through it. I also got a shacket from them that appeared to be made from a burlap sack, it was that bad. I had my profile set to "classic", nobody thinks a shacket when they think classic men's style. They don't have any rhyme or reason to what they send out. Scarf in June in Texas? You got it.

They also have terrible customer service and flat out didn't reply to me for weeks.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Johnny Truant posted:

I know a few folks who have tried these sort of services and none were fans. They seem to cater to the type of people who just love having new cloths that they'll wear once or twice before hanging them up in their closet forevermore in favor of the next new thing. If you have a more normal relationship with your clothing, you probably won't care for it.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
I recently saw about half of Jurassic World in bits and pieces while doing things around the house, and I need something cleared up.

Is the whole thing a self-deprecating joke intended to deliver a scathing critique of Hollywood, the entertainment industry, and consumers as a whole? It seemed like it was drenched in Jurassic Park references and callbacks, breaded in self-aware commentary, then thrown in the deep fryer, resulting in

"hey remember how fuckin' awesome the first film was and how the raptors were scary and when the t-rex roared the first time it blew your goddamn nuts off, and then you idiots wanted BIGGER and MORE VICIOUS and 3D and haha look where we are now, look at this dumb poo poo, that guy from law and order who was in the first movie made a Frankenstein's DNA monster that can cloak and talk to raptors and trick stupid security guards, look at that security guard, that dumb motherfucker has crumbs and poo poo all over himself and he's fat and slow hahaha YOU BOUGHT TICKETS FOR THIS MONTHS IN ADVANCE that guy from guardians of the galaxy punched that other guy from law and order (not b.d. wong) and is riding a dirtbike alongside raptors wearing night vision goggles THIS IS WHAT YOU WANTED everyone's carrying cell phones but none of them have service haha that's a common trope we made sure that was in there for sure, YOU PREORDERED THE JURASSIC WORLD VIDEOGAME FOR YOUR KIDS AT GAMESTOP we also made sure two dumb kids got lost in the park full of dinosaurs, we covered all the bases with a geeky computer tech, a strong-but-vulnerable female lead, haha did you see the part where she did her shirt up like laura dern in jurassic park, fuckin classic subtle referenceization right there, THIS FILM HAS SOMEHOW MADE $1.6 TO DATE BECAUSE OF YOU IDIOTS also yeah some bad dudes wanted to sell dinos to the military to use as weapons, how original is that poo poo right there, and that end fight holy poo poo dude where the bad new frankendino gets fuckin' wrecked by the old dinos nobody likes anymore, nobody cares about vanilla t-rex but you know what? his buddy blue the raptor does, i actually animated that little look and nod they gave each other before they walked off THE TYRANNOSAURUS REX AND RAPTOR ACTUALLY GAVE EACH OTHER A KNOWING LOOK, NODDED, AND WALKED OFF IN SEPARATE DIRECTIONS AND YOU CHEERED INSTEAD OF ASKING FOR A REFUND no joke i cried when it was done SOME OF YOU ARE ACTUALLY STILL SITTING IN YOUR SEATS WAITING FOR THE NEXT SHOWING; DID YOU NOT SEE THAT WE PUT JIMMY loving FALLON IN THIS FILM JUST TO MAKE SURE YOU WOULD ALL HATE IT AND NOW A SEQUEL AND A TELEVISION SERIES ARE BEING PRODUCED"

Does that about cover what it's all about, or did I miss something while doing dishes?

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

holy poo poo

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

no joke i cried when it was done

Get a load of this baby, crying about dinosaurs.

Narmer
Dec 11, 2011
I've come into possession of a lot of used gym storage lockers from an old facility that's shut down. Where would be the best place to try and sell them?

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I recently saw about half of Jurassic World in bits and pieces while doing things around the house, and I need something cleared up.

Is the whole thing a self-deprecating joke intended to deliver a scathing critique of Hollywood, the entertainment industry, and consumers as a whole? It seemed like it was drenched in Jurassic Park references and callbacks, breaded in self-aware commentary, then thrown in the deep fryer, resulting in

"hey remember how fuckin' awesome the first film was and how the raptors were scary and when the t-rex roared the first time it blew your goddamn nuts off, and then you idiots wanted BIGGER and MORE VICIOUS and 3D and haha look where we are now, look at this dumb poo poo, that guy from law and order who was in the first movie made a Frankenstein's DNA monster that can cloak and talk to raptors and trick stupid security guards, look at that security guard, that dumb motherfucker has crumbs and poo poo all over himself and he's fat and slow hahaha YOU BOUGHT TICKETS FOR THIS MONTHS IN ADVANCE that guy from guardians of the galaxy punched that other guy from law and order (not b.d. wong) and is riding a dirtbike alongside raptors wearing night vision goggles THIS IS WHAT YOU WANTED everyone's carrying cell phones but none of them have service haha that's a common trope we made sure that was in there for sure, YOU PREORDERED THE JURASSIC WORLD VIDEOGAME FOR YOUR KIDS AT GAMESTOP we also made sure two dumb kids got lost in the park full of dinosaurs, we covered all the bases with a geeky computer tech, a strong-but-vulnerable female lead, haha did you see the part where she did her shirt up like laura dern in jurassic park, fuckin classic subtle referenceization right there, THIS FILM HAS SOMEHOW MADE $1.6 TO DATE BECAUSE OF YOU IDIOTS also yeah some bad dudes wanted to sell dinos to the military to use as weapons, how original is that poo poo right there, and that end fight holy poo poo dude where the bad new frankendino gets fuckin' wrecked by the old dinos nobody likes anymore, nobody cares about vanilla t-rex but you know what? his buddy blue the raptor does, i actually animated that little look and nod they gave each other before they walked off THE TYRANNOSAURUS REX AND RAPTOR ACTUALLY GAVE EACH OTHER A KNOWING LOOK, NODDED, AND WALKED OFF IN SEPARATE DIRECTIONS AND YOU CHEERED INSTEAD OF ASKING FOR A REFUND no joke i cried when it was done SOME OF YOU ARE ACTUALLY STILL SITTING IN YOUR SEATS WAITING FOR THE NEXT SHOWING; DID YOU NOT SEE THAT WE PUT JIMMY loving FALLON IN THIS FILM JUST TO MAKE SURE YOU WOULD ALL HATE IT AND NOW A SEQUEL AND A TELEVISION SERIES ARE BEING PRODUCED"

Does that about cover what it's all about, or did I miss something while doing dishes?

Are you okay?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Bovril Delight posted:

Trunk Club has nice stuff but is unholy expensive. If you don't mind dropping $100+ on almost every item, they'll get you good clothes.

Five four is absolute poo poo tier garbage. I'm almost positive they built unbranded garments and sew their label on. The quality ranges from a decent pair of raw denim to a black pullover that was literally so thin I could see through it. I also got a shacket from them that appeared to be made from a burlap sack, it was that bad. I had my profile set to "classic", nobody thinks a shacket when they think classic men's style. They don't have any rhyme or reason to what they send out. Scarf in June in Texas? You got it.

They also have terrible customer service and flat out didn't reply to me for weeks.

kedo posted:

I know a few folks who have tried these sort of services and none were fans. They seem to cater to the type of people who just love having new cloths that they'll wear once or twice before hanging them up in their closet forevermore in favor of the next new thing. If you have a more normal relationship with your clothing, you probably won't care for it.

Thanks for the advice, definitely just going to have to bite the bullet and take a day to get my wardrobe in better order!

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

:yikes:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
What did you think about Avatar?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Narmer posted:

I've come into possession of a lot of used gym storage lockers from an old facility that's shut down. Where would be the best place to try and sell them?

Sell them for scrap metal. Low-hassle and you don't need to wait to find a buyer.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Can you review Interstellar for me?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I mean, I didn't care for it either, but I certainly didn't think this hard about it. (I also didn't care for the original :shh:)

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

nah it was cool & good

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Mak0rz posted:

I've been using Google Opinion Rewards for a year so my Play credits begin to expire today. What are some choice paid Android apps/games I can buy? No launchers, please.

I'm getting the Swype keyboard, but that's all I can think of right now.

We have a thread for that.

Android Gaming: Channeling Your Proximity to Home Depot into Games!

It even has a reference to Rewards money in the name. :)

Read the op and then skip to the last 10 or so pages for the newer stuff.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Narmer posted:

Swap meet or antique dealer. These are valuable because they're cool and have a lot of uses. Much more value than scrap metal.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

You should be glad they scrapped the original idea for jurassic park 4

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Is there a name for the base DNA sequence that all life on Earth supposedly has in common?

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

That sounds about right. The babysitter from Jurassic World got poo poo on for no good particularly good reason.

And you are kind of crazy.

I hate to break it to you, but you have a big wall of text.

Sane people don't have big walls of text with poo poo bolded, you're probably off your meds.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

IDK whether this is heavy enough tech to take to the tech forums, but I'll try here first.

My computer is cocking up, specifically in terms of having trouble accessing windows settings - I have that thing where it seizes control every few hours to tell me to activate windows, but when I click okay it tells me it can't open the settings. It then says try refreshing, which I understand is a clean reinstall but protects windows store apps, some of my settings and my "data." What do they mean by "data"? What, specifically, am I going to lose if I follow their advice?

I've seen it variously described as keeping your documents, photos, videos and music, or just keeping user data, but either it's deliberately very vague or those are all specific technical terms that have passed me by, and mean a lot more to someone else. Is it going to keep everything in my user directory? Just the stuff in My Documents? Some other combination of stuff entirely unrelated to how everything's folder organisation? I've got most of my stuff backed up anyway, but it'd be nice to know exactly what's going to happen before I press the big red button.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I never saw Jurassic World. Hope this helps!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009
Has anyone taken a Public Speaking/Oral Communications class online for college? I'm enrolled in a 100% online program for my Bachelor's, and Oral Communications is one of the required gen ed classes. How is that going to work online?