Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
The lategame is nonstop sabotaging and it's infuriating. If I didn't take Influence Ideas, I wouldn't be able to integrate vassals anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Wafflecopper posted:

Try unselecting reparations and see what it says then

They ended up sending me the exact same offer I wasn't able to offer them.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Baron Corbyn posted:

They ended up sending me the exact same offer I wasn't able to offer them.

if you have mare nostrum you can just totally surrender and then they have to make a 100 warscore peace or get their country super-hosed by war exhaustion

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

Mr. Fowl posted:

The lategame is nonstop sabotaging and it's infuriating. If I didn't take Influence Ideas, I wouldn't be able to integrate vassals anymore.

Yeah they hosed up espionage actions. Having sabotage relations and sow discontent and support rebels going on me 24/7 by all of my rivals really makes 1700 and later fun.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Chump Farts posted:

Yeah they hosed up espionage actions. Having sabotage relations and sow discontent and support rebels going on me 24/7 by all of my rivals really makes 1700 and later fun.

Don't forget their vassals and colonial nations :P

I didn't find that stuff very effective against me in the late game at least. Early on it would have screwed me big time though.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

Tsyni posted:

Don't forget their vassals and colonial nations :P

I didn't find that stuff very effective against me in the late game at least. Early on it would have screwed me big time though.

It is just an annoyance. You basically just play with some debuffs that you can counteract with ideas. Not unmanageable, but I can't imagine they thought it would work out like that.

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

After about 1,150 hours I finally started playing ironman, and now I'm hooked and won't go back :v: It's too tempting to savescum when something lovely happens, but the AI has to deal with it too, right?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Chump Farts posted:

Espionage systems have never been balanced or fun in any strategy game but it's the catnip that devs are helpless to avoid. There's a great episode of Three Moves Ahead where Soren Johnson and Jon Shafer try to console each other about it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Azuren posted:

After about 1,150 hours I finally started playing ironman, and now I'm hooked and won't go back :v: It's too tempting to savescum when something lovely happens, but the AI has to deal with it too, right?

That and it's good to see how things can turn out okay even after a catastrophic loss, having to face up to that sort of situation makes the whole thing muhc more interesting. Playing the "perfect" game by savescumming just isn't that exciting

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Wow, so in my GB game after crushing France, Castille, and Portugal I was all worried about what would happen with my allies mega-Austria (who took the other half of France) and Aragon (who took the other half of Castille + integrated Naples)

Then suddenly I get a Personal Union with Aragon, Austria declares a succession war and about 3 months later Switzerland declare a Coalition war against them, basically bringing the entire HRE onto my side. This is kind of an incredible stroke of luck

Iberian Peninsula, Leon is my vassal, PU with Aragon

Northern Africa, Morocco is my vassal. I annexed a nation sometime ago (Sus?) but otherwise I had invaded N Africa in order to extend my colonial range

Western Africa, Benin is my protectorate

Big group of HRE states coalitioning Austria right after Austria declares that they're unhappy about my PU with Aragon

I also have South Africa, the Caribbean, and most of North America claimed via papal decree.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

So I'm very late to the game here, and playing as castile I conquered Oporto from Portugal. I cored it and then got a notification that I can turn it into a state, so I did, then I had to core it again. WTF is that all about, should I have known better or is that the way it's done?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I've also been doing this neat thing where every 5 years or so a bunch of Flemish separatists appear in Calais, conquer the province, realize that nothing happened because there's a fort next door in Picardie, and then wander into Austrian territory. It's pretty neat to watch

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Unimpressed posted:

So I'm very late to the game here, and playing as castile I conquered Oporto from Portugal. I cored it and then got a notification that I can turn it into a state, so I did, then I had to core it again. WTF is that all about, should I have known better or is that the way it's done?

That's the new States and Territories system, which was introduced like only a month ago.

When you seize a province, you pay 50% of the full coring cost and get a Territory Core. This results in no overextension and a 75% autonomy floor. Basically this lets you set up Distant Overseas provinces wherever you want them, and you don't have to do goofy gimmick poo poo like vassal blocking. You can have as many territory cores as you want.

If you decide that you want a lower autonomy floor for that provence, you can decide to turn all of the provences in a single territory into a State. This is determined geographically, so you can't just pick one province and make a state out of it. When you do this, you pay the remaining 50% of the coring cost and the autonomy floor gets set to 0. This is all instant and you don't get hit with any overextension penalties, but you do pay maintenance for states. You get a huge bonus on autonomy reduction for awhile after turning a territory into a state, depending on what the autonomy would have been without the floor. So for instance if a province has 80% autonomy when you turn it into a state, its autonomy floor will be 0 but it's still going to be losing autonomy at the normal rate. If that same province would have had 70% autonomy, but currently is at the 75% floor, then it'll rapidly hit 70% and then it'll lose autonomy at the normal rate again.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Thanks, so for a close in province with an estuary that I want for trade power, turning it into a state is worth it, right?

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Unimpressed posted:

Thanks, so for a close in province with an estuary that I want for trade power, turning it into a state is worth it, right?

Just so you know, autonomy's impact on trade power is half of what it is on everything else, so it's not as big of a deal if you're only concerned about trade. That said... Yeah, if you got the states to spare (there's a limit depending on your admin tech) you should go for it. Try to conquer the rest of the state as well to take full advantage of it, that's better than having 1 province states hanging around.

Also note that a state with a province core has 50% minimum autonomy. So even if you can't afford that 2nd core at the time, turning a province into a state will still be helpful.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Well I intend to conquer all of Portugal eventually, so it should come in handy. Thanks for the help.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Unimpressed posted:

Elman posted:

Just so you know, autonomy's impact on trade power is half of what it is on everything else, so it's not as big of a deal if you're only concerned about trade. That said... Yeah, if you got the states to spare (there's a limit depending on your admin tech) you should go for it. Try to conquer the rest of the state as well to take full advantage of it, that's better than having 1 province states hanging around.

Also note that a state with a province core has 50% minimum autonomy. So even if you can't afford that 2nd core at the time, turning a province into a state will still be helpful.

To add on to this, you can't give provinces that are territories to estates, and you generally want to give estuaries and trade centres to the merchant estate, so that is another decent reason to make those provinces into states.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
I know there is a page that shows you the unrest in each province, along with a button to raise or lower autonomy, but I have no idea how to access it. I do not have a PhD in Paradox interfaces, which is required to access most features.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

It's part of what is apparently called the macro builder. It's "a button located under the left side of the country crest at the top-left corner of the in-game screen" and has shortcuts to basically everything you can do province-by-province. Build units, ships, buildings, development, estates, autonomy, etc. I always thought of it as the "build button".

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

SurgicalOntologist posted:

It's part of what is apparently called the macro builder. It's "a button located under the left side of the country crest at the top-left corner of the in-game screen" and has shortcuts to basically everything you can do province-by-province. Build units, ships, buildings, development, estates, autonomy, etc. I always thought of it as the "build button".

Thanks, I was looking in the ledger and the coring screen.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.
I'm playing a game as Florence, and the decision to stay in the HRE came up. If you choose to stay on the HRE, does the Submission to the Emperor modifier stay forever? It would suck to play with the unrest modifier for the whole game.

On the other hand, bringing the Holy Roman Empire to Rome...

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Democrazy posted:

I'm playing a game as Florence, and the decision to stay in the HRE came up. If you choose to stay on the HRE, does the Submission to the Emperor modifier stay forever? It would suck to play with the unrest modifier for the whole game.

On the other hand, bringing the Holy Roman Empire to Rome...

I'm not 100% sure but I think it will only go away if you become the emperor or form Italy.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Once again, there's another dev diary to talk about. Am I the first to read these things and remember the thread or does no one really care about these?

Ah well, monarch's now have personality traits which give modifiers (can be good or bad) and unlock more options in events.

I've been kind of wanting to play more EU4 but whenever I start it up, I just get bored quickly. Anyone got any suggestions for what nation to play? I've been trying out West Europe but I usually enjoy West Africa or India more.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Mysticblade posted:

Once again, there's another dev diary to talk about. Am I the first to read these things and remember the thread or does no one really care about these?

Ah well, monarch's now have personality traits which give modifiers (can be good or bad) and unlock more options in events.

I've been kind of wanting to play more EU4 but whenever I start it up, I just get bored quickly. Anyone got any suggestions for what nation to play? I've been trying out West Europe but I usually enjoy West Africa or India more.
Thank you for posting them because I dont bother to look them up, but always end up liking reading them. Also it usually starts an interesting discussion about what it talks about, which is cool.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

Mysticblade posted:

Spain almost always has something going on. Fights with North Africa that then blends into the colonialism race and/or further expansion south into Africa.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

I'm really enjoying Oman. I keep coming back to them over the years and with the more recent achievements there are some difficult long-term goals to shoot for (unify Islam as Ibadi). An easier one to shoot for is Arabian Coffee (form Arabia, have lots of coffee). Their geography gives a good progression of opponents, from Arabian minors to mid-level nations to Otto. It can be a tough start in the end but there's a comfortable ramp up in difficulty. If you're having trouble to the north you can focus on the African minors to the south. They're also in a good position for colonization, and can block the Europeans out of the east and compete with them in the west as well.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Mysticblade posted:

I can't overstate how happy I am about this! :) I've wanted this feature FOREVER.

Now sell me a ruler portrait DLC.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
the thought of having to do a portrait mod or else being stuck with Generic Asian Man 1 and 2 for three years makes me shudder.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I can't wait to get stuck with a 0/1/0 ruler with all negative traits for 60 years.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I'm interested in a Perfidious Albion run. Whats the optimal strategy for Britain these days? Last time I played I heavily colonized which led to the colony having larger armies than I which led to rebellions every time the truce timer wore down. The constant war prevented me from really expanding on the continent or into India.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Fister Roboto posted:

I can't wait to get stuck with a 0/1/0 ruler with all negative traits for 60 years.

Make him a general, attach him to a lone infantry unit, then charge the enemy.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
Monarch traits, you say?

Johan, I would prefer my royalty cheques in Euros, thanks!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

YouTuber posted:

I'm interested in a Perfidious Albion run. Whats the optimal strategy for Britain these days? Last time I played I heavily colonized which led to the colony having larger armies than I which led to rebellions every time the truce timer wore down. The constant war prevented me from really expanding on the continent or into India.

Constantly colonize and also get Quantity ideas.

Recently I've been doing a Devout Catholic England thing, which has worked out extremely well; take Exploration/Administrative/Quantity in that order, then take Religious and begin converting all of the good African territory. Oppose the lollards and support the counter-reformation, then use your horde of missionaries to convert convert convert and reap all of the juicy benefits. Thanks to states it's actually feasible to have some really high-quality low-autonomy provinces in Africa (but you still want to use trade companies along the coasts). I also used Austria and Poland to crush France and Castille, and at this point I'm only really limited by AE in Europe. When the mission pops up to take India, go for it; it's a whole nother continent of heathens to reap papal points from.

I was able to jump-start my colonization range by no-CB declaring on Morocco and just taking 1 province. Colonies also no longer found as your state religion if there are natives, so that's even more opportunity for free papal points

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

YouTuber posted:

First decision you need to make is whether to you want to conquer France or not. With allies on the continent it's pretty straightforward. If not, give up your continental possessions reasonably quickly, and just get into colonizing. You don't need to colonize all of the Americas, just grab the Caribbean, the Eastern Seaboard, and Eastern Canada. That gives you trade power in the key nodes, and it doesn't matter who owns the rest. If possible you'll want to grab West Africa for the same reasons.

Spend all your extra monarch points on development and you'll have no trouble running an army far bigger than your colonies. Don't ever raise tariffs, that money will never amount to anything, so you might as well just keep liberty desire low.

Quantity helps, but certainly isn't needed.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
I've never played a Paradox game before so I'm kind of at sea here, is there a tutorial out there that goes more in-depth than the default?

I basically dicked around for 30 years as Aragon because I'm a snowflake who doesn't want to play Castille, allied France but they jumped the gun and invaded Castille first, so I only got the one province I'd fabricated a claim on while they sliced off the entire north of Castille. I managed to snag Granada out of spite, and took a few other chunks out of the map (southern Provence, Corsica, some bits of Tunis), but now I seem to be stuck because France wants my Provence territories and won't help me against rump Castille/Portugal, and France is too powerful after eating north Castille and most of Brittany for me to take on. I have alliances with Austria and Hungary but they won't help with poo poo, and both Corsica and my Tunis provinces are constantly in rebellion. I get the feeling I'm missing some optimization stuff the tutorial didn't teach because I'm constantly broke and starting to lag in technology.

Elotana fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jun 16, 2016

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I wish eu4 were as good as victoria 2

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

That ruler personalities DLC dev diary reminded me that a (free!) Ruler Traits mod has existed literally since Conquest of Paradise, and I never checked out if it got updated.

Well, it did and it looks very well fleshed out, but uh, the trait effects look unpleasantly massive for a mostly RNG-driven effect (though admittedly many of those modifiers take advisor bonuses into account, so you have some control over them). Has anybody played with it, and/or does anyone know of a more lightweight mod?

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

YouTuber posted:

The last full game I played was an England run. If you play it smart with continental alliances (I think I did Aragon, Austria, and Savoy) then you can push France in a couple times right off the bat, getting some decent land and eventually getting the mission to force-PU them. If you get lucky, you can punch Leon or Galicia out of Castille early on as well, then eat into Iberia as well. I got really lucky and got a PU over Savoy as well, so I would up with the British Isles, modern France, and Iberia minus Aragon without too much of a struggle; once France is subdued (and consistently under 50% liberty desire) then you're pretty much unstoppable on the continent.

I colonized fairly casually; I had three colonists but didn't really overextend my colonies too much and tried to balance out the New World with getting into Indonesia and India. I dumped way too many points into conquering parts of Africa for fun instead of prioritizing European expansion (although I wound up making a killing in trade) and conquered India for the achievement. If you go the same way I went, knocking out Castille and France and crippling Portugal means that America is pretty competition-free; Leon colonized Lousiana, but otherwise Aragon kept conquering and failing to hold Mexico and I either outright conquered or sponsored to independence anybody else's New World nations.

Austria and Aragon should be good allies; I'd recommend ditching Portugal. I was planning on stabbing Savoy in the back, but a free PU changed those plans pretty quickly.

The Ottomans wound up colonizing half of Indonesia and most of the scattered Pacific Islands solely because nobody else did. It was a weird game.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Elotana posted:

I've never played a Paradox game before so I'm kind of at sea here, is there a tutorial out there that goes more in-depth than the default?

I basically dicked around for 30 years as Aragon because I'm a snowflake who doesn't want to play Castille, allied France but they jumped the gun and invaded Castille first, so I only got the one province I'd fabricated a claim on while they sliced off the entire north of Castille. I managed to snag Granada out of spite, and took a few other chunks out of the map (southern Provence, Corsica, some bits of Tunis), but now I seem to be stuck because France wants my Provence territories and won't help me against rump Castille/Portugal, and France is too powerful after eating north Castille and most of Brittany for me to take on. I have alliances with Austria and Hungary but they won't help with poo poo, and both Corsica and my Tunis provinces are constantly in rebellion. I get the feeling I'm missing some optimization stuff the tutorial didn't teach because I'm constantly broke and starting to lag in technology.

I would watch DDRJake and just observe how he does stuff rather than what he says. It's not intended as a tutorial, but without someone either watching you play or you watching someone else play it's hard to know what you are doing sub-optimally. He doesn't play optimally either (for example he totally ignores light ships, trade, and colonization, which is frustrating, so don't take cues from him on that stuff) but you might spot areas where you could be doing better.

You might also have just been put in a terrible position by chance, which you can't really avoid early on if the results of other people's wars and such end up with you pinned in, especially as a medium power like Aragon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
It's not very tough to win the HYW and PU France, as others have suggested you want to knock them down a few times first, otherwise they'll be too large to keep the PU stable and they'll rebel a bunch. Rejecting the Lollards and going turbo-Catholic is a good option, Protestant is cool too as it has great bonuses and it's probably the easiest way to become Holy Roman Emperor (get friendly with the Protestant electors and support their side in the League Wars). Once you've consolidated the British Isles and brought France to heel you're pretty much unstoppable.

Castile is really weak right now, unless they luck into the Iberian Wedding early on they routinely get stomped by Aragon, France, and the North Africans. Keep an eye out for good opportunities to jump them.

Keep in mind that having vassal colonizers is better than integrating them, so vassalizing Portugal is a good idea for example.

• Locked thread