Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So, this whole 'thing' is literally going to go down in history right next to The Phantom Menace.

as a huge Harry Potter fan, whoa boy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Watching authors poo poo on the diehards decades later is the best part of fandoms being a thing.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Peztopiary posted:

Watching authors poo poo on the diehards decades later is the best part of fandoms being a thing.

Yeah but in this case the story was loving done. It's not like Stephen King making GBS threads out a finale to Dark Tower decades later or GRRM doing whatever it is he loving does. Why'd she decide she had to go back and ruin everything?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Wants to move up a spot or two on the rich list.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Fans of books for children upset about childish plot

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Oh I was fine with a magical god child being sent to a fancy castle in the land of make believe to learn how to be a wizard and fighting an immortal demon wizard with the power of friendship but this time travel stuff is just absurd

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Rowling has gone bonkers generally. She spends most of her time on twitter finding people who disagree with her (bad) political views and threatening them with lawsuits and Internet hate mobs

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Going from really poor and completely unknown to mega rich and a household name based on your ability to make things up would drive most people nuts.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Also she once gave me a dirty look for eating the last bit of a steak with my hands

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Rowling has gone bonkers generally. She spends most of her time on twitter finding people who disagree with her (bad) political views and threatening them with lawsuits and Internet hate mobs

What's wrong with her politics? Last I heard she was a pretty standard left liberal.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
That's what's wrong.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

She's fine in general, but gazing into the maw of your fandom with eyes wide open for years on end is going to do things to your brain.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

What's wrong with her politics? Last I heard she was a pretty standard left liberal.
she's a massive dick to anyone who supports Scottish independence, including teaming up with some particularly nasty pieces of work (Wings is a bad blog but is right on this one) and wading into discussions to throw her weight around, threaten people and play the victim.

It's probably really boring to anyone not involved, but seeing a beloved children's entertainer turn into a vicious, litigious bully towards a group made up mostly of young leftists who grew up worshipping her was really weird and unpleasant.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Number Ten Cocks posted:

That's what's wrong.

:rolleyes:

Anyway I think what happened was she couldn't deal with her post Harry Potter books being lousy and critically panned so she felt compelled to return back to her comfort zone despite her previous assurances that she was done with the story. She left the door open for some spinoffs but for some reason elected to make a straight sequel.

It's weird, the whole situation with The Cursed Child is eerily similar to JRR Tolkien and his unfinished LoTR sequel. The stories have some of the same themes in them too. But Tolkien had the good sense to recognize that what he was writing was poo poo and binned the whole project altogether.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jun 11, 2016

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

The critics panned her Gilbraith books? Every review I glanced at after the reveal is the expected gushing praise.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Anyway I think what happened was she couldn't deal with her post Harry Potter books being lousy and critically panned

None of her post-HP books were lousy nor critically panned

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Well I was incorrect then. Well her reasoning must have been different but the end result remains the same.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I still don't see what is supposed to make this play worse than the books

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I still don't see what is supposed to make this play worse than the books

Because it takes most of the established plot and character developments from the books and tramples all over them?

Maybe in a vacuum the story isn't so bad. Well, I think it'd be dog poo poo either way but I digress. But for something that is being billed as the 8th story/sequel/other marketing bullshit etc of an established series of ridiculously popular books it stands to reason that it follow at least the very basic ground rules and internal logic previously presented. It's impossible to judge this story on its own due to the fact that it's directly reliant on call backs to vital plot points from the earlier series and involves the characters literally going back in time and loving with them all.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Because it takes most of the established plot and character developments from the books and tramples all over them?

Maybe in a vacuum the story isn't so bad. Well, I think it'd be dog poo poo either way but I digress. But for something that is being billed as the 8th story/sequel/other marketing bullshit etc of an established series of ridiculously popular books it stands to reason that it follow at least the very basic ground rules and internal logic previously presented. It's impossible to judge this story on its own due to the fact that it's directly reliant on call backs to vital plot points from the earlier series and involves the characters literally going back in time and loving with them all.

you care a lot about a children's book my man

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Its a giant what-if story. That is what what-if stories are.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I'm Mel and I'm being disingenuous. Cuck

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/06/10/harry-potter-and-the-cursed-child-spoilers-here-s-the-plot-of-the-play.html

A full synopsis of the play in non-Tumblrite language.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Draco asks Harry to use his position as Head of Magical Law Enforcement at the Ministry of Magic to shut down gossip that a Time-Turner was used to allow Voldemort to impregnate Astoria, Draco’s wife, who gave birth to Scorpius.

Dephie says Albus must be the one to interfere in time because the prophecy says an unseen child will act. Albus refuses but she threatens to kill Scorpius, his only friend. Craig, another student from Hogwarts, rushes up to say the whole school is looking for them. Delphie kills him instantly.

Good plot points, I think

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
"Delphie"?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

dumb

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Parts of that were very stupid but a lot of it was also downright thrilling and had me on the edge of my seat, so it was quite the rollercoaster. Also it felt really good to be back in that world again. I'm ready to accept this as the canonical 8th episode of the series.

All in all it led me to preorder the script book just now.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I like that she wrote it as a play so it cuts down the time it will take for WB to make the movie

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

less laughter posted:

Parts of that were very stupid but a lot of it was also downright thrilling and had me on the edge of my seat, so it was quite the rollercoaster. Also it felt really good to be back in that world again. I'm ready to accept this as the canonical 8th episode of the series.

A brief synopsis of a play had you on the edge of your seat?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I've been reading Le Carre for the first time, finshed Tinker, Tailor; Honourable Schoolboy, and Smiley's People. I really liked them, what other books of his would you guys recommend?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

less laughter posted:

The concept of canon outside of its original religious meaning is probably one of the worst things about nerd franchise fandom

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

A human heart posted:

The concept of canon outside of its original religious meaning is probably one of the worst things about nerd franchise fandom

WHat about the Western Literary Canon

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

blue squares posted:

A brief synopsis of a play had you on the edge of your seat?

It's not a brief synopsis, it's a full description of the plot that describes every twist and turn.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I like that she wrote it as a play so it cuts down the time it will take for WB to make the movie

Why not just set up a couple cameras at the play and just release that poo poo to the movies? Or hell, live stream it to theaters across the world like they do with concerts and E3 presentations so that Harry Potter fans who aren't both rich and in London can experience it?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

CestMoi posted:

WHat about the Western Literary Canon

you mean the ultimate catalogue of Bible fanfic?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Why not just set up a couple cameras at the play and just release that poo poo to the movies? Or hell, live stream it to theaters across the world like they do with concerts and E3 presentations so that Harry Potter fans who aren't both rich and in London can experience it?

Like they're not going to do both.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Squishy posted:

Like they're not going to do both.

And THEN adapt it into four movies.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
Just had an odd thought. Harry Potter grew up in a neglectful household, had no friends, and was constantly bullied by his older brother. The few times his dad was shown, he was a bully who didn't care about rules or the feelings of others.

What if Harry Potter grew up to be a psychopath instead of an upstanding guy?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

MrSlam posted:

Just had an odd thought. Harry Potter grew up in a neglectful household, had no friends, and was constantly bullied by his older brother. The few times his dad was shown, he was a bully who didn't care about rules or the feelings of others.

What if Harry Potter grew up to be a psychopath instead of an upstanding guy?

http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Tom_Riddle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Yeah it's like MrSlam hasn't read book 6 (the best book in the series btw).