Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Also note the inherently flawed frame design. I'll just quote Platystemon from the EV thread where it was first posted:

Platystemon posted:

Sure. This is a conventional bike frame:

Here are the parts labelled:

Here's the Super 73' [sic]:

Notice what it’s missing? The seat tube.

A conventional bike frame is divided into triangles. For reasons covered in Engineering 101, that’s generally a good idea. This bike’s frame is not.

Essentially, the conventional bike frame can only be “squished” by a force at one of the vertices—which is where all the important stuff is attached, rider, crank, wheels—by crushing or stretching one of the tubes.

Imagine that at each vertex there was a greased pin, with no weld, and the tubes were free to rotate. That wouldn’t really matter; you’d have to destroy one of the tubes to change the frame’s shape.

To squish the Super ’73’s frame, all that’s necessary is to bend tube at one of the corners, which is a lot easier. The freely‐rotating pins wouldn’t work here—the stiffness of those corners is the only thing keeping the bike from folding.

Now of course the Super ’73 isn’t meant for hard riding, and it’s entirely possible to use more steel to make up for the fact that the shape is weak, but I don’t like the look of it. Hit enough pot holes, and the frame just might break.

“Women’s” bikes use suboptimal frame geometry, lowering the top tube so the bike is easier to straddle, but I’m not sure why the Super ’73 does. I thought maybe they’d use that open centre area for storage, but they don’t in the video or any of the illustrations on that page. It seems to me that there isn’t a particularly good reason not to reinforce it; it’s just that “vintage motorcycles did it this way”. They’d have to tweak the design, but it should be doable, and would lighten the bike, make it stronger, or some combination of the two.

Steel may actually be the better choice, by the way. Aluminium is brittle, and the stress this frame encounters at the corners would kill aluminium in a way steel is more resistant against.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I would like to add that that bike is demonstrably not seventy-three feet in any dimension, as “ 73′ ” would imply. I want my money’s worth. :colbert:

We’ve established the ride doesn’t last seventy‐three minutes, either.

I’m pretty sure they meant “ ’73 ”, as in “1973”, but they got it wrong literally every single time, thirteen times in the text of that page and more in the multimedia.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 12:02 on Jun 12, 2016

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

30mph! 20 mile range! Sweeeet, you get 40 minutes of ALL TERRAIN electric bike action then you have to wait 4 hours while it recharges so you can ride for another 40 minutes. I guess you could pack a spare battery but if you forgot to take it or you forgot to charge it then you'll be pushing this 65lb bike 20 miles back to your house. :v:

(Extra batteries are $400 each)

Or, uh, you could use the pedals? Like everyone else?

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Cheez posted:

I reckon riding that thing like a pedal bike would be real hard going.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Cheez posted:

I'm a fat guy and that sounds way too much like exercise :colbert:

Also I was in a rush to poo poo all over this terrible Kickstarter project and I didn't even notice it had pedals :sweatdrop:

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

It's fair enough though, if you have the sort of commute where you really need an electric bike then it's probably also the sort of commute that would suck to have to pedal an unassisted electric bike through

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Do they go into why you'd get that abomination over a regular electric bike?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tippis posted:

Do they go into why you'd get that abomination over a regular electric bike?

You could cycle out using the pedals and get a full on workout, not worrying about getting too tired because you'd be going back on battery power.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Jedit posted:

You could cycle out using the pedals and get a full on workout, not worrying about getting too tired because you'd be going back on battery power.

There's probably cheaper ways of achieving the same effect other than a $1899 ($2999 retail) + $200-500 postage electric bike.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Looks like something you'd weld together after the zombie apocalypse happens.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

There's probably cheaper ways of achieving the same effect other than a $1899 ($2999 retail) + $200-500 postage electric bike.

There are way better electric and manual means of transportation. That bike would be a lovely ride (likely very difficult to adjust to achieve fit), and it wastes a tonne of space that could've held more battery power or storage if it wasn't for the crappy pedals you're never really going to want to use in anger.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Jedit posted:

So the same as a regular, professionally made electric bike then. Well, they seem to have found a niche at least: people who want to pay more for no particular reason.

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

Bobby couldn't make it...
'till he went fun-truckin'!

I'm a fat guy and that sounds way too much like exercise :colbert:

Also I was in a rush to poo poo all over this terrible Kickstarter project and I didn't even notice it had pedals :sweatdrop:

Doesn't matter. With that weight and frame geometry, you're not going to get much value from those pedals. I don't see any mention of gearing in the rear hub.

The only time they mention pedals is when talking about pedal assist mode. even the makers aren't naive enough to imagine you could pedal this on cheeto power alone and make it anywhere.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
What would compel anyone to spend three grand on one of these stupid things? How would it be better for commuting than something like a 125cc Grom? That's definitely what I'd get for commuting around a city.

Explosive Tampons
Jul 9, 2014

Your days are gone!!!

Tippis posted:

So the same as a regular, professionally made electric bike then. Well, they seem to have found a niche at least: people who want to pay more for no particular reason.

Awful Kickstarters Vol II: people who want to pay more for no particular reason

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Undoubtedly. But I never said it was a good reason, just a reason.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

1. Take existing product.
2. Replace all good design decisions with bad design decisions.
3. Kickstarter.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Germstore posted:

1. Take existing product.
2. Replace all good design decisions with bad design decisions.
3. Kickstarter.

4. Profit
5. Just kidding we're bankrupt and the Kickstarter is cancelled

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
I still can't believe the Freewrite both exists and made a profit. $500 for a pretentious hipster typewriter that can't charge off USB. Meanwhile you can get an Alphasmart Neo off eBay for $30 and it's built like a tank and lasts a solid month on two AA batteries. They should have just bought a pallet of them and shipped one to anyone who paid good money for that garbage.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
Yet another attempt at driving down the cost of hobbyist 3D printing, this time to a record low $49:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/101hero/101hero-the-world-first-us49-3d-printer?ref=category

In their photos, you can clearly see the cheap plastic parts which make up the machine's structure. You cannot, however, see much of anything that would meaningfully demonstrate the sort of print quality it's capable of.

Popular Human posted:

I still can't believe the Freewrite both exists and made a profit. $500 for a pretentious hipster typewriter that can't charge off USB. Meanwhile you can get an Alphasmart Neo off eBay for $30 and it's built like a tank and lasts a solid month on two AA batteries. They should have just bought a pallet of them and shipped one to anyone who paid good money for that garbage.

An e-ink screen does seem like a legitimately useful feature for something like that. Leaving out the arrow keys and spell check, not so much.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Cockmaster posted:

An e-ink screen does seem like a legitimately useful feature for something like that. Leaving out the arrow keys and spell check, not so much.

No, an e-ink screen is a pretty stupid idea for something you need to actively write a long text on. Once you get past a full screen of text, you stop being able to get fast screen response by only changing the small area where the new letters are coming in, and start having to either do a lengthy full screen blank or shift everything up a set of lines.

It's a big device with plenty of space for a battery, one of those monochrome low-power LCD screens with a reflective backing would work way better.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Cockmaster posted:

Yet another attempt at driving down the cost of hobbyist 3D printing, this time to a record low $49:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/101hero/101hero-the-world-first-us49-3d-printer?ref=category

I like that the video opens with "What if you could do (thing)?" "What if you could do (other thing??)" but the script very specifically doesn't follow up with "Well now you can with 101Hero!" because that'd make it a liable statement about the product that they could later be held to.

edit: A couple lines later they say "(do the steps shown) and print anything imaginable!" which is different because that puts the onus on you in case whatever your imagination comes up with just so happens to break the thing.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Collateral Damage posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/782844499/the-super-73

Of course it has a cup holder for your no gmo gluten free ecological soy latte.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

the production values and everything seem fine or whatever but

Trigger Discipline is a tactical card game designed to recreate the elegance and aggression of a gunsword duel.

:rolleyes:

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Otisburg posted:

the production values and everything seem fine or whatever but

Trigger Discipline is a tactical card game designed to recreate the elegance and aggression of a gunsword duel.

:rolleyes:

I'm going to go ahead and assume that in the video, there are people with terrible facial hair and/or fedoras.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

fishmech posted:

No, an e-ink screen is a pretty stupid idea for something you need to actively write a long text on. Once you get past a full screen of text, you stop being able to get fast screen response by only changing the small area where the new letters are coming in, and start having to either do a lengthy full screen blank or shift everything up a set of lines.

Wouldn't they just move up a half screen on overflow, as demonstrated by TTY editors 40ish years ago for exactly this limitation? Then you only need full-screen redraws on the letter that pushes you to overflow.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I'm going to go ahead and assume that in the video, there are people with terrible facial hair and/or fedoras.

Fedoras not shown but heavily implied

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/833494208/trigger-discipline

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Fedora shaming has driven the fedoras from our heads, but you will never remove the fedora from our hearts.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Oh yeah, you know that bald guy wears some kind of fedora.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

The other one generally wears some sort of rubber hat which he shares with four other similarly shaped individuals (because he looks like a toe)

But big thanks to these guys for buying forum ads! edit: i didn't click it so I can't rule out it being an incredibly elaborate aggrogator ad

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
The spirit of the fedora never leaves the head, even if it's physical body may be absent.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

muscles like this? posted:

Oh yeah, you know that bald guy wears some kind of fedora.

I think he looks more like a flat cap guy.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Subjunctive posted:

Wouldn't they just move up a half screen on overflow, as demonstrated by TTY editors 40ish years ago for exactly this limitation? Then you only need full-screen redraws on the letter that pushes you to overflow.

Yes, but that introduces an annoying interrupt, so it's really only useful if you absolutely must have an e-ink screen. Which is why using a very low power LCD works a lot better for this sort of task.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

fishmech posted:

Yes, but that introduces an annoying interrupt, so it's really only useful if you absolutely must have an e-ink screen. Which is why using a very low power LCD works a lot better for this sort of task.

You can continue typing as the screen updates, though. What’s the problem? It’s visually jarring? That’s true of e‐ink page turns, but you get over it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Platystemon posted:

You can continue typing as the screen updates, though. What’s the problem? It’s visually jarring? That’s true of e‐ink page turns, but you get over it.

COntinuing typing as the screen updates on a device whose other gimmick is that you can't edit anything seems like it's just an insistence on causing problems. It's a lovely concept made worse by an insistence on using the e-ink screen.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Do we even really need a screen? Just capture keystrokes; you can edit it later.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

fishmech posted:

COntinuing typing as the screen updates on a device whose other gimmick is that you can't edit anything seems like it's just an insistence on causing problems. It's a lovely concept made worse by an insistence on using the e-ink screen.

If you want to argue that the whole Freewrite/AlphaSmart Neo concept is dumb: no contest.

I just don’t think the Freewrite’s e‐ink display is likely to be worse than a dot matrix LCD. Not tenfold‐price better, but that’s not the point.

Plus the Freewrite has individual keyswitches, which is the kind of thing the “eccentric” writer target demo craves. You can’t put a price on ~art~.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Platystemon posted:

Plus the Freewrite has individual keyswitches, which is the kind of thing the “eccentric” writer target demo craves. You can’t put a price on ~art~.

Mechanical keyboards are legitimately good to have for serious typing. The problem is that some of them are a bit too loud for a device meant to be used out in public.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Platystemon posted:

I just don’t think the Freewrite’s e‐ink display is likely to be worse than a dot matrix LCD. Not tenfold‐price better, but that’s not the point.

It factually is worse, for what it's trying to be. Like sticking racing slicks on a car that you're going to try to drive on snow. :iiaca:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Cockmaster posted:

Mechanical keyboards are legitimately good to have for serious typing. The problem is that some of them are a bit too loud for a device meant to be used out in public.

If no one can hear your mechanical keystrokes then how are they going to notice your cool hipster typewriter.

I'll admit it does look kind of cool. Not $500 cool. Maybe $100 cool.