Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Marc Rubio is on CNN right now running his loving mouth

Take a shot every time he says 'radical islamist terrorist' and enjoy your alcohol induced coma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Did this guy have a loving RPG or something how the hell do you kill/hospitalize 103 people?

An Assault rifle and a lot of people in a confined space.

Also seems like everyone was understandably panicked with a lot of people at the start having no idea whats going. It just seems like a whole lot of factors came together to just create a completely hosed situation

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
If he was radicalized his parents probably had no idea since he was a grown man and this poo poo happens on the internet.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

greatn posted:

That's really gross. You're basically turning the victim into their own murderer.

How do you figure? I think this guy was like a lot (IMHO 100%) of "KILL ALL THEM FAGGOTS I'M A PUSSY MAN" guys. As long as you're raging against (and shooting!) them, you can't be one of them, right? It's clear, I hate them, bunch of unnatural queers, there's no way I'd like to suck on a... EW! NO! I HATE THEM. LOOK HOW MUCH I HATE THEM! It's not like I want to stick my tongue up... UGH! NO! Filthy homos... why do they get to suck dicks and I... I MEAN I WOULD NEVER WANT TO BECAUSE THAT IS SO DISGUSTING.

As a confirmed, dyed-in-the-wool heterosexual myself and a friend of many such heterosexuals I can pretty firmly say none of us hate and fear gays. Because we don't think gay is some kind of terrifying disease, and we're not gay, so we're not filled with dread and self-loathing that someone might find out. Kind of like how the harshest Nazis weren't the von Falkenhorst blond-haired blue-eyed set but those who were always a little worried there might have been some Jew blood in their line a few generations back, but it can't be true because look how much I have hated!

Of course I could be wrong and all these dead might just be the corpse fruits of more fundamentalism. That's just always the first place my mind goes when I hear someone irrationally apeshit hateful about gays since in my experience it's close to a law of nature.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Someone post that Kreider cartoon, I can't find my copy.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

nachos posted:

This guy was 120 miles away from the Orlando area so did he deliberately target the largest gay club he could find?

I believe his father said he saw a picture or video of two men kissing in Orlando and it set him off.

Also being reported he was known to police because he had associated with "suspicious" people a few years ago. Sounds like possible radicalization.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Probably. Orlando is well-known for being the most gay-friendly city in Florida, and it's Pride Week there. Hell, I've driven past Pulse a few times.

Gotta be tied with Key West.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Cythereal posted:

There are Christians who support gay rights. :( My church's pastor is a married lesbian woman, and we're down here in a different part of Florida. Sermon this morning was all about the shooting and we're already putting together a donation fund for the families of the victims.

And Mussolini loved cats, doesn't mean he wasn't a net force for evil. Gay Christians are like black Republicans, they baffle me.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Sir Tonk posted:

Someone post that Kreider cartoon, I can't find my copy.

I like the sentiment but I wish the "Guns are for pussies" didn't come across as such a gendered slur. If it was something else I'd post that poo poo 24/7 on Facebook.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

fknlo posted:

Also, there was a good guy with a gun there and it didn't stop this, so we'll get to see what happens with that usual angle

Was there? Last I knew it was illegal to carry in a bar in Florida.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

JonathonSpectre posted:

How do you figure? I think this guy was like a lot (IMHO 100%) of "KILL ALL THEM FAGGOTS I'M A PUSSY MAN" guys. As long as you're raging against (and shooting!) them, you can't be one of them, right? It's clear, I hate them, bunch of unnatural queers, there's no way I'd like to suck on a... EW! NO! I HATE THEM. LOOK HOW MUCH I HATE THEM! It's not like I want to stick my tongue up... UGH! NO! Filthy homos... why do they get to suck dicks and I... I MEAN I WOULD NEVER WANT TO BECAUSE THAT IS SO DISGUSTING.

As a confirmed, dyed-in-the-wool heterosexual myself and a friend of many such heterosexuals I can pretty firmly say none of us hate and fear gays. Because we don't think gay is some kind of terrifying disease, and we're not gay, so we're not filled with dread and self-loathing that someone might find out. Kind of like how the harshest Nazis weren't the von Falkenhorst blond-haired blue-eyed set but those who were always a little worried there might have been some Jew blood in their line a few generations back, but it can't be true because look how much I have hated!

Of course I could be wrong and all these dead might just be the corpse fruits of more fundamentalism. That's just always the first place my mind goes when I hear someone irrationally apeshit hateful about gays since in my experience it's close to a law of nature.

You are absolutely wrong. The impulse to assume all homophobes are secretly gay is both bizarrely self congratulatory (I know Im a REAL straight guy because I don't care what gays do!) and subtly homophobic (haha, that homophobe is GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY, like this is the only time you can get away with laughing at person for being gay if you consider yourself a "progressive").

Please resist doing this. The vast majority of people who perpetuate homophobia are straight people, because straight people are the majority of the population.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

greatn posted:

I like the sentiment but I wish the "Guns are for pussies" didn't come across as such a gendered slur. If it was something else I'd post that poo poo 24/7 on Facebook.

not that one

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It sounds like he was shot at outside the club, then ran inside, then the police went in 3 hours later?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

It Begins

https://twitter.com/RawStory/status/742002264114597888

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Crain posted:

Sounds like a straight up lie to me. Unless it comes out that the guys family kept him in a literal religious compound that had been ignored by the state since birth.

I have personally almost never seen homosexual affection outside of television. If you don't go to gay hotspots and don't have that many gay friends, it's really pretty easy.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
A Muslim mass shooting inside a gay nightclub is basically the greatest hits of America.txt

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Shillary posted:

And Mussolini loved cats, doesn't mean he wasn't a net force for evil. Gay Christians are like black Republicans, they baffle me.

Christianity is like a group of literally hundreds of different denominations that all have different canon and beliefs, their only common unified being a belief in Jesus Christ as Messiah, and sometimes not even that.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Arkane posted:

I believe his father said he saw a picture or video of two men kissing in Orlando and it set him off.

Also being reported he was known to police because he had associated with "suspicious" people a few years ago. Sounds like possible radicalization.

Was slightly wrong here. Here's the actual quote:

Father sounds a little delusional. Hatred of homosexuality is definitely tied in with Islam.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Did this guy have a loving RPG or something how the hell do you kill/hospitalize 103 people?

You walk into a packed nightclub in a major city and start shooting.

The fact that this doesn't happen more often with 300 million privately owned guns is a testament to the vast majority of people not being batshit crazy.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Hollismason posted:

Marc Rubio is on CNN right now running his loving mouth

He's lucky it wasn't foam party night.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Liquid Communism posted:

Was there? Last I knew it was illegal to carry in a bar in Florida.

There was armed security.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Hollismason posted:

It sounds like he was shot at outside the club, then ran inside, then the police went in 3 hours later?

It became a hostage situation

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

And noone got to see it since the entire hour was BREAKING NEWS

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS

Radbot posted:

I think I'm going to clean my AR, knowing full well this will be the only action it receives because i am a huge puss

fixed that for you

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Tender Bender posted:

There was armed security.

Ah, that makes sense. :smith:

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Arkane posted:

Father sounds a little delusional. Hatred of homosexuality is definitely tied in with Islam.

I don't blame his dad for sounding a bit delusional, he's just found out his son shot up a nightclub a few hours ago, that would tie up your brain a bit.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

But we should politicize it with anti-Muslim talk. :bravo:

EDIT: Who cares about gun control if it was a Muslim that did it? --likely implicit narrative this week, just like after San Bernardino

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jun 12, 2016

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/742008681773051904

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Thaddius the Large posted:

I don't blame his dad for sounding a bit delusional, he's just found out his son shot up a nightclub a few hours ago, that would tie up your brain a bit.
Has anyone published a self-help book yet titled "so your son is a mass shooter" to help the now thousands of American parents in this situation?

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

greatn posted:

Christianity is like a group of literally hundreds of different denominations that all have different canon and beliefs, their only common unified being a belief in Jesus Christ as Messiah, and sometimes not even that.

Yes I know there are hippie bullshit Christians, but the majority in the US are not and have heinous beliefs. By trying to make Christianity compatible with the LGBT community all you are doing is legitimizing them. Religion is not compatible with modern society, and modern society is what gives us freedom.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Samurai Sanders posted:

Has anyone published a self-help book yet titled "so your son is a mass shooter" to help the now thousands of American parents in this situation?

Read this in Phil Hartman's Troy Maclure voice because I'm a terrible loving person

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Shillary posted:

Yes I know there are hippie bullshit Christians, but the majority in the US are not and have heinous beliefs. By trying to make Christianity compatible with the LGBT community all you are doing is legitimizing them. Religion is not compatible with modern society, and modern society is what gives us freedom.

How's 9th grade going?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Shillary posted:

Look, I'm not really a religious man, so how should I put this...

gently caress off.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

gently caress Chuck Todd. The Kreider comic couldn't be more accurate.

Also as much as people are getting desensitized to these I think more and more people are losing patience with the "we are praying for the victims" poo poo. It's obviously code for "let's not ask any uncomfortable questions or actually do anything.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jun 12, 2016

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://twitter.com/frankthorp/status/742006969947574272

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Radish posted:

gently caress Chuck Todd. The Kreider comic coulnd't be more accurate.

Also as much as people are getting desesitized to these I think more and more people are losing patience with the "we are praying for the victims" poo poo. It's obviously code for "let's not ask any uncomfortable questions or actually do anything.

Calling that out won't gonna change anything though. It's too ingrained. Good news for gun stores though!

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Shillary posted:

You have to go out of your way to make them incompatible but that doesn't stop people from trying, I guess.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Rituals are always a part of human society and our ritual for this situation is "our thoughts and prayers...."

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Radish posted:

gently caress Chuck Todd. The Kreider comic coulnd't be more accurate.

Also as much as people are getting desesitized to these I think more and more people are losing patience with the "we are praying for the victims" poo poo. It's obviously code for "let's not ask any uncomfortable questions or actually do anything.

The video is down in that link but I'm not convinced Todd said what that article suggested he said. The quote they have is “Do you think we can ever have a conversation where we have the terrorism conversation and the gun conversation, where it can have this without without trying to politicize one version of events over the other?”

That sounds to me like he's asking Sanders if there will come a time when the issue can be addressed without it coming back to "right vs left" politics, when people will be able to just agree on the problem. But I could be wrong as I haven't found the video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Arkane posted:

Would you be saying the same if he was Christian?

• Locked thread