Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

fool_of_sound posted:

How's 9th grade going?

Criticism of religion is just as important as freedom to practice. The automatic dismissal of people who criticize religion as a net loss for humanity, is just as stupid as believing the truth is always in the middle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

As a Nebraskan Sasse occasionally makes news waves here for being a sensible moderate, but it's always hidden under mountains of this bullshit.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Shillary posted:

Criticism of religion is just as important as freedom to practice. The automatic dismissal of people who criticize religion as a net loss for humanity, is just as stupid as believing the truth is always in the middle.

no you're free to criticize it all you want. People are just also free to call you a dipshit. Free speech!

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.
I'm curious about the logistics. How did he get into the club carrying that AR15 (or whatever that was)? Is that, uh, legal in Florida and/or was there no security at the entrance?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Of course no mention of the gay community.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

meristem posted:

I'm curious about the logistics. How did he get into the club carrying that AR15 (or whatever that was)? Is that, uh, legal in Florida and/or was there no security at the entrance?

We'll probably hear about that today or tomorrow when the police make an extended statement. Useless to speculate until then.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Deified Data posted:

You have to go out of your way to make them incompatible but that doesn't stop people from trying, I guess.

Nah, modern society is built on the application of scientific principles. Religion is literally the opposite.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Calling that out won't gonna change anything though. It's too ingrained. Good news for gun stores though!

Seriously, you're talking about major gun control legislation during an election year, out of a Congress who hasn't accomplished anything more substantial than naming libraries in the last several years. Snowball's chance in hell. The GOP will scuttle that poo poo like it's their job, and the Dems don't have enough votes to push the issue anyway.

I'm sure we'll be treated to the President pulling in survivors for TV ops and crying over how his gun control agenda got shot down over the course of his presidency as well.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Shillary posted:

Nah, modern society is built on the application of scientific principles. Religion is literally the opposite.

uh huh
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Averroes

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

meristem posted:

I would guess the assault rifle helped him get in.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Shillary posted:

We are currently having debates about whether or not trans people should be allowed to go to the bathroom matching their gender. That hardly seems scientific.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

meristem posted:

In fairness, if you get all the way up to the door of a night club carrying a massive gun that shoots a zillion bullets I think you're already home free. Like, even if the security was armed they still have to react before you start unloading bullets into them and a crowded sardine can.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

STAC Goat posted:

The video is down in that link but I'm not convinced Todd said what that article suggested he said. The quote they have is “Do you think we can ever have a conversation where we have the terrorism conversation and the gun conversation, where it can have this without without trying to politicize one version of events over the other?”

That sounds to me like he's asking Sanders if there will come a time when the issue can be addressed without it coming back to "right vs left" politics, when people will be able to just agree on the problem. But I could be wrong as I haven't found the video.

Ok that's a lot different if that's the case.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Shillary posted:

You're really ignorant about religious practice as it exists outside of your strawmen, huh?

also

Shillary posted:

:ironicat:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Liquid Communism posted:

I'm sure we'll be treated to the President pulling in survivors for TV ops and crying over how his gun control agenda got shot down over the course of his presidency as well.
To be fair, I only remember tears during Sandy Hook. And if you're giving the guy poo poo for *that*... well... :sweatdrop:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

FCKGW posted:

Goddamn I really shouldn't have gone to Reddit this morning. Nothing but /r/The_Donald posts utterly giddy about the shooting.

And they are actively brigading other subreddits to post about how Islam is to blame for all of this. They need to just banhammer that entire subreddit and everyone that has ever posted there.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

STAC Goat posted:

In fairness, if you get all the way up to the door of a night club carrying a massive gun that shoots a zillion bullets I think you're already home free. Like, even if the security was armed they still have to react before you start unloading bullets into them and a crowded sardine can.

I would imagine he probably just drove his car right up, got out and got his gun from the passenger seat.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

FilthyImp posted:

To be fair, I only remember tears during Sandy Hook. And if you're giving the guy poo poo for *that*... well... :sweatdrop:

Nah, I'm giving him poo poo for cynically using the parents of dead children to try and push his agenda and then throwing essentially a temper tantrum on TV when Congress shot him down.

I understand his frustration, but that was a long distance from President Obama's usual class.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Liquid Communism posted:

Nah, I'm giving him poo poo for cynically using the parents of dead children to try and push his agenda and then throwing essentially a temper tantrum on TV when Congress shot him down.

I understand his frustration, but that was a long distance from President Obama's usual class.

we get it, you're a dumpster fire

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Shillary posted:

That is, and pardon my French, dumb as poo poo. "Modern" society is built on the precedent of thousands of years of cultural practices, many of which have as much scientific basis as the resurrection of Lazarus. Until you can find a scientific basis for the precise value of " what is good", everything in society ultimately comes down to shared personal morals, values, and beliefs.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

ComradeCosmobot posted:

We are currently having debates about whether or not trans people should be allowed to go to the bathroom matching their gender. That hardly seems scientific.

Exactly, and if you dig down many people's discomfort comes mostly from a place of religious belief. That's not to say there aren't secular transphobes but they are few and far between.

How does this disprove my point? I never said scientific people couldn't be religious, just that religion relies on a lack of evidence for its existence. I'm ending this derail now, the point is no one goes on a shooting spree because the current accepted theory of RNA transcription gets challenged.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

FilthyImp posted:

No, he's giving him poo poo for this incident, which good, faithful conservatives have already chalked up to the deliberate use of an onion hidden in his right hand.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Liquid Communism posted:

Eat poo poo and die you hosed up concern troll.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Shillary posted:

How does this disprove my point? I never said scientific people couldn't be religious, just that religion relies on a lack of evidence for its existence. I'm ending this derail now, the point is no one goes on a shooting spree because the current accepted theory of RNA transcription gets challenged.

Wars, on the other hand, have been fought on the basis of denying the scientific truth that all the races of the world have no difference save the color of their skin.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

NewMars posted:

Wars, on the other hand, have been fought on the basis of denying the scientific truth that all the races of the world have no difference save the color of their skin.

No, wars are about land and resources.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

greatn posted:

And sometimes those resources are human beings with a different skin color.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

greatn posted:

Resources. Like slaves?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Liquid Communism posted:

Congrats on being the first thing to elicit a response from me wrt this event.

Go gently caress yourself.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Shillary posted:

Exactly, and if you dig down many people's discomfort comes mostly from a place of religious belief. That's not to say there aren't secular transphobes but they are few and far between.

well you know, except for that big war we had here about the disagreement between the scientifically minded on if black people were basically just beasts of burden or human beings.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Tender Bender posted:

Eat poo poo and die you hosed up concern troll.

Not trolling at all. Just predicting how this is going to go from a political standpoint, because theorizing over that is a good distraction from there being a whole lot of dead people right now and no clear narrative as to why. :(

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Liquid Communism posted:

The only grotesquely cynical person here is you.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/742011617077014528

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

FourLeaf posted:

The only grotesquely cynical person here is you.

Guilty as charged.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

You are a disgusting person.

Wow, gently caress you.

How is this in any way a defensible position?

bird cooch fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jun 12, 2016

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Tender Bender posted:

Would you be saying the same if he was Christian?

Yes.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Liquid Communism posted:

Not trolling at all. Just predicting how this is going to go from a political standpoint, because theorizing over that is a good distraction from there being a whole lot of dead people right now and no clear narrative as to why. :(

From a political standpoint it sounds like this is gonna be San Bernardino all over again. Democrats will call for more gun control, but it will fall on deaf ears as Trump instead calls for banning Muslims from the US again (even though that wouldn't have helped if this person was indeed a citizen)

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I wonder how this will affect the general election...

Trump would have much to gain in support from islamophobia, but how could this possibly help Hilary's cause?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

ComradeCosmobot posted:

From a political standpoint it sounds like this is gonna be San Bernardino all over again. Democrats will call for more gun control, but it will fall on deaf ears as Trump instead calls for banning Muslims from the US again (even though that wouldn't have helped if this person was indeed a citizen)

Yup. It's going to be an even uglier general election than it was already looking like.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Grouchio posted:

I wonder how this will affect the general election...

It won't

e: in that the outcome / lines are already drawn wrt this specific issue and none of that will change

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

But we will get a week or two of Arzying about it and a couple of comical conservatives with signs saying "we never got terrorist attacks under Republicans!", so it's all good.

• Locked thread