Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Amazon had Doom for $50 yesterday. Still might.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i remember this game being $140 back in the day...

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Tiggum posted:

I plan to, once its price drops to something reasonable. Here's a thing dragging games down: Companies expecting us to pay $80 for them. gently caress off.

canada strikes again

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
It's kinda a minor thing, but sometimes the RNG in Diablo 3 is so swingy it makes me want to put down the game. I need a legendary two-handed flail, of which there are seven. There's a recipe to turn a rare into a legendary item, provided its the same type.

Twelve times, multiples of different weapons, zero of the one I want.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Aphrodite posted:

Amazon had Doom for $50 yesterday. Still might.

It seems to be about $60 USD right now, which is about $80 AUD, which is the same price as on Steam. And anyway, I still wouldn't pay $50 for it when I know I just have to wait a while and it'll go on sale for way less.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Oh, I guessed Canada with the $80. We have the same price here right now.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
Final Fantasy 11 just added a couple new quests, lets see what the prerequisites and reward are..

FFXI Update Notes posted:

A new quest has been added.
*The Ygnas Directive 1

Have completed the quest Records of Eminence.
Have completed the Seekers of Adoulin missions.
Be in possession of the golden shovel cordon key item.

Lets break this down.
Records of Eminence is a newer 'quest' system they implemented, that quest just unlocks it.
Seekers of adoulin missions, it's the entire storyline for that expansion. not very hard to do but will take most players a week or two start to finish.

Golden shovel cordon KI? what's that? never heard of it...

FFXi Update Notes posted:

* Obtaining the golden shovel cordon key item.
Speak with Reja Ygridhi in Celennia Memorial Library after completing the following.

Vanquish Colkhab, Tchakka, Achuka, Hurkan, Yumcax, and Kumhau in their respective Wildskeeper Reives and obtain the three rewards from Reja Ygridhi.

Complete all of the following quests.
Seekers of Adoulin quests

Twitherym Dust / To Catch a Predator / Empty Nest / Don't Clam Up on Me Now / Hop to It / Boiling Over / Poisoning the Well / Unsullied Lands / No Rime Like the Present / A Geothermal Expedition / Granddaddy Dearest / Wayward Waypoints / One Good Turn... / F.A.I.L.ure Is Not an Option / Order Up / Western Waypoints, Ho! / Wes...Eastern Waypoints, Ho! / Grind to Sawdust / I'm on a Boat / A Stone's Throw Away / Hide and Go Peak / The Whole Place is Abuzz / Orobon Appetit / Talk About Wrinkly Skin / Did You Feel That? / Breaking the Ice / Lerene's Lament / No Love Lost / Don't Ever Leaf Me / Keep Your Bloomers On, Erisa / Raptor Rapture / Exotic Delicacies / A Pioneer's Best (Imaginary) Friend / Hunger Strikes / The Old Man and the Harpoon / A Certain Substitute Patrolman / It Sets My Heart Aflutter / Transporting / The Starving / Fertile Ground / "Always more," Quoth the Ravenous / Meg-alomaniac / The Longest Way Rounds / A Good Pair of Crocs / Cafe...teria / A Shot in the Dark / Open the Floodgates / No Laughing Matter / All the Way to the Bank / To Laugh is to Love / A Barrel of Laughs / Vegetable Vegetable Revolution / Vegetable Vegetable Evolution / Vegetable Vegetable Crisis / Vegetable Vegetable Frustration / A Thirst for the Ages / A Thirst for the Eons / A Thirst for Eternity / A Thirst Before Time / Dances with Luopans / Children of the Rune / Flowers for Svenja / Thorn in the Side / Flavors of Our Lives / It Never Goes Out of Style / Water, Water, Everywhere / Dirt Cheap / Flower Power / Do Not Go Into the Light / Velkkovert Operations / Hypocritical Oath / The Good, the Bad, the Clement / The Secret to Success / Sick and Tired / The Weatherspoon Inquisition / Eye of the Beholder / The Curious Case of Melvien / No Mercy for the Wicked / Mistress of Ceremonies / Not-So-Clean Bill / In the Land of the Blind / The Weatherspoon War

Other Quests (Mog Gardens)

Full Fields / Green Groves / Mining Missive / Pond Probing / Coastal Chaos / Seed Sowing / Flotsam Finding / Courtesy Crustacean / Trinket for the Tyrant / Hypnotic Hospitality / Titillating Tomes / Release the Fleece / Feeding Frenzy / Cry Not, Caretaker / Chacharoon's Cheer / Trial of the Chacharoon / Doctor Chacharoon / Rowing Together

All coalition assignments except for the following:

Provide: Foret de Hennetiel / Provide: Morimar Basalt Fields / Provide: Yorcia Weald / Provide: Marjami Ravine / Provide: Kamihr Drifts / Gather: Ra'Kaznar Inner Court

Jesus gently caress that's alot! Going just by the coalition assignments and mog garden crap, that's 6 months straight of timer gated content that SE themselves admitted most players didn't do, lets hope the reward is worth it!

You don't get jack poo poo, the rest of the questline isn't finished or implemented.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Max posted:

Keep going until you are past the first level. Trust me when I say that early on someone hands you a shotgun and just says "Kill Nazis."

OK, I'm up to this spot now and now I hate this game because of those loving flying robot things. They're hard to hit and take a lot to kill, and I've got no loving ammo to spare. I've just died four times trying to get through this bit, and if the robots don't get me then the dogs do.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Tiggum posted:

I just played half an hour of Wolfenstein: The New Order, and this game has way too much plot. I just want to shoot some loving nazis, not... whatever the gently caress all this bullshit is.
New Order is weird that the early game sets up too much story. You get to shoot some then it stops you again. If I remember after that the game doesn't really slow down too much after that.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009

Tiggum posted:

I plan to, once its price drops to something reasonable. Here's a thing dragging games down: Companies expecting us to pay $80 for them. gently caress off.

My friend, you are welcome.
http://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/doom-pc-cd-key-steam

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I downloaded NBA 2k16 since it was free and I don't understand. If I want to play a Call of Duty game they force a tutorial on you every goddamn time. But sports games? They just drop you in and assume you know how to play.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Tiggum posted:

It seems to be about $60 USD right now, which is about $80 AUD, which is the same price as on Steam. And anyway, I still wouldn't pay $50 for it when I know I just have to wait a while and it'll go on sale for way less.

Yeah i'm not paying €60 for a video game.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Len posted:

I downloaded NBA 2k16 since it was free and I don't understand. If I want to play a Call of Duty game they force a tutorial on you every goddamn time. But sports games? They just drop you in and assume you know how to play.

For years now I have a friend who invites me to play the newest NBA game whenever it's out and every single time he literally dunks on me and can't really explain how he does it. It's basically muscle memory for him but when I ask him to explain step by step he freezes up. There's no real way to learn but trial and error I guess.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

MisterBibs posted:

It's kinda a minor thing, but sometimes the RNG in Diablo 3 is so swingy it makes me want to put down the game. I need a legendary two-handed flail, of which there are seven. There's a recipe to turn a rare into a legendary item, provided its the same type.

Twelve times, multiples of different weapons, zero of the one I want.

I believe some oranges are weighted in the cube.
So, it's not a true RNG.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Pretty sure the cube roll rates are the same as the drop weighting in the world. Some oranges are more likely to drop than others for a given item type.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Phlegmish posted:

Yeah i'm not paying €60 for a video game.

There are games I'd pay that for, but Doom is a cool 8 hour single player campaign with (reportedly) terrible multiplayer and mapmaker modes, so it definitely merits waiting for a price drop.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Deltasquid posted:

For years now I have a friend who invites me to play the newest NBA game whenever it's out and every single time he literally dunks on me and can't really explain how he does it. It's basically muscle memory for him but when I ask him to explain step by step he freezes up. There's no real way to learn but trial and error I guess.

Same, I ended up getting my own copy and after a few dozen hours of play I'm no longer poo poo but I couldn't tell you what I even do differently. I think a lot of it is subconsciously learning animation tells and stuff.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

He knows exactly what he's doing, he just doesn't want to give up his advantage.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Johnny Aztec posted:

I believe some oranges are weighted in the cube.
So, it's not a true RNG.

That makes sense, but it's still awfully frustrating to have a way to have some predictability on getting a specific item, only to not be able to get it.

I've always thought it odd that in the game that has a monthly sub from the same group, the items are more concrete in both stats and predictability of their dropping. The one with no financial monthly investment in it has a larger/broader grind.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 21:39 on Jun 12, 2016

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

frodnonnag posted:

Final Fantasy 11 just added a couple new quests, lets see what the prerequisites and reward are..

Who on earth comes up with these loving names

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

swamp waste posted:

They've opened a temporal rift and picked up a White People Baby Names book from 2057

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

swamp waste posted:

There is actually a naming convention for the five races, as well as some named beast-men races and some of the other countries/kingdoms in the game.

That being said, some of the npc names really really lead to a sense that they just rolled their face on the keyboard.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I finally got around to finishing Fallout 4 after doing all the side quests (other than the endless radiant ones). Geez that ending is a real wet fart. Your character's main motivation just kind of fizzles out then you choose which faction wins, none of which you care about at all. One faction doesn't really exist except for you, one is introduced immediately before the ending, and the other two are barely fleshed out at all.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

holy poo poo dude stop playing FFXI

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Lizard Wizard posted:

Final Fantasy Record Keeper introduced FFXI content a few weeks ago. Every wave has way too many enemies, and every enemy's attack animations are way too long. The FFXI dungeons aren't hard, but they're loving insufferable for this reason.

I haven't played FFXI, but I choose to take this as a commentary.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
The mission where you have to defend Code Talker after the chopper crashes can suck a warehouse full of dicks. gently caress being surrounded and infinitely stunlocked by two metre tall armour-plated sacks of complete bullshit and their cadre of shitass zombie fuckbuddies. Those teleporting cockbags don't even need to hit you with their machetes as they appear right behind you, they can just throw poo poo at you from wherever.

Also, while the core gameplay is mostly really good, and I like it a lot, pretty much everything that has to do with Mother Base is boring as hell.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Phlegmish posted:

He knows exactly what he's doing, he just doesn't want to give up his advantage.

I've definitely had friends like this and they're almost universally shits who get pissy when you start to win, too.

Inco posted:

The mission where you have to defend Code Talker after the chopper crashes can suck a warehouse full of dicks. gently caress being surrounded and infinitely stunlocked by two metre tall armour-plated sacks of complete bullshit and their cadre of shitass zombie fuckbuddies. Those teleporting cockbags don't even need to hit you with their machetes as they appear right behind you, they can just throw poo poo at you from wherever.

Also, while the core gameplay is mostly really good, and I like it a lot, pretty much everything that has to do with Mother Base is boring as hell.

I found the one before it to get code talker way worse. Here's a good tip for that mission, there's a blueprint in Code Talker's mansion in free roam. It gets you a kickass sniper that just fucks up the skulls. Get that and enjoy noscoping them.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Nuebot posted:

I found the one before it to get code talker way worse. Here's a good tip for that mission, there's a blueprint in Code Talker's mansion in free roam. It gets you a kickass sniper that just fucks up the skulls. Get that and enjoy noscoping them.

Is it present during the mission itself? I did find a blueprint in the mansion, because I ended up wandering around a lot because I mistook the basement door for one that had bars on it.

That mission wasn't that hard for me, even though the snipers leading up to the mansion were intimidating as gently caress. After I got spotted, I just sprinted and dove my way through the woods, and they somehow didn't hit me. Exfil wasn't too bad either, I just snuck around all the groups of zombies and kept rocks between me and the snipers, before circling around behind the big rock south of the LZ. I can see poo poo going sideways if the snipers catch you while you're carrying Code Talker, though.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Inco posted:

I really don't understand that mission and then the final one where they took the idea of doing missions however you want and just chuck it out the window to make you fight guys. Every other mission you can stealth or sneak through but those two just require you to actively shoot people and that's the only way to do them.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Danger Mahoney posted:

I finally got around to finishing Fallout 4 after doing all the side quests (other than the endless radiant ones). Geez that ending is a real wet fart. Your character's main motivation just kind of fizzles out then you choose which faction wins, none of which you care about at all. One faction doesn't really exist except for you, one is introduced immediately before the ending, and the other two are barely fleshed out at all.

It's been long enough that I don't need to spoiler the game any more right?

I personally finished it with the Brotherhood ending, because I like the BoS and I felt like it was a lovely ending too.

Like I tried to stay in character as the vengeful parent searching for my lost child; but between all the side quests and getting involved in the various factions fights for supremacy I felt like my character identity was lost.

Similar I guess to Skyrim where your Dragonborn gets caught up in the Dark Brotherhood or Thieves Guild; but gently caress at least they justified that as "you gotta keep this poo poo secret yo". And also while you go about the civil war, the main plot, a fair number of the side-quests and the expansions you never really lose sight of being the Dragonborn; people mention it, you keep getting reminded of it, you keep getting more Dragonborn powers etc...

In FO4 you do your family thing for the first few quests; then unless you immediately go do the Kellog quest after finding and saving Nick the whole pretense of you being a parent trying to a) find their child and b) make sense of this weird world they are now in dispersal and you are basically just another nameless hero/villain in the wastes. Then if you spend time doing exploring and side quests before returning to the Kellog quest its like "Oh well I just spent 9 months fighting monsters and raiders, better get back to looking for my X month old baby who was kidnapped!"

Yeah a main plot that is fairly standard but at least compelling; that has nothing to do with the open world nature of the game its been put into. And the endings have the same feel where it's like you never really achieved your objective anyway:

"Whaaaaat Shauns really old now and he's the leader of the badguys/good guys?!"

a) Oh well better get on with being a nutcase who murders everyone lalalala
b) Better hang out with my anti-synth slavery/knight templar bros and kill him lol!
c) Better join him cause thats my boy!

Gridlocked has a new favorite as of 06:02 on Jun 13, 2016

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Dark Souls 3 has a lot of enemies weak to lightning and fire. It's not always obvious which ones, but there's a fair share of them, as are things weak to dark.

Where the gently caress are literally any major enemies that are weak to magic? I'm most of the way through the game at this point, and while I can count at least four bosses that are explicitly resistant to magic, as well as several areas entirely staffed by enemies that take magic hits loving champs, I have found a total of two enemies that are weak to magic. I don't even mean 'two types of enemy', either, I mean across the 75%-ish of the game I've gone through the only things I've found that are weak to magic are two giants in a small courtyard in the Boreal Valley. And quite frankly it takes some monumental stupidity to wake those two up more than once in the first place.

Not a single boss, not a single relatively major enemy type, is weak to magic. But I'd say drat near half of the big, non-optional ones resist it.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Lizard Wizard posted:

No.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Holy gently caress how are you capable of enjoying something enough to put that kind of time in. Even assuming you played since day one that's beyond full time job hours.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

rodbeard posted:

Holy gently caress how are you capable of enjoying something enough to put that kind of time in. Even assuming you played since day one that's beyond full time job hours.

My hope is a lot of that time is spent idle.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
FF11 came out 13 years ago, even playing casually everyday, those hours are within the realm of possibility.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Inco posted:

woops misread the post.

that fight sucks if you're not prepared for forced combat. the skulls take a shitton of damage but they're surprisingly easy to stamina kill. for the longest time I thought that blue bar was useless on them.

battle gear is the biggest letdown on mother base.

Action Tortoise has a new favorite as of 08:34 on Jun 13, 2016

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Alteisen posted:

FF11 came out 13 years ago, even playing casually everyday, those hours are within the realm of possibility.

Uh, that's more than 8 hours a day, every single day, for 13 years. I'd hope that's not your idea of "casual".

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I feel like adding insult to injury so I'm curious: does FFXI still have a monthly fee?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Didn't FF11 have personal shops? Like you flag things in your inventory and sit around and people could buy them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Action Tortoise posted:

battle gear is the biggest letdown on mother base.

It only existed as a 3D model and on paper right? I don't remember where i quit playing because the same missions but harder got old.