Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Dr. Josef Mengele posted:

I love my dead gay killing son :zpatriot:

I don't see why we're so quick to poo poo on the dad. He clearly thinks it was bad and wrong and is probably devastated. To paraphrase the parents of the Giffords assassin attempt guy, he's probably in shock in some room thinking "where did I go wrong?"

At least he isn't talking poo poo about a few hours of "action." :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Yawgmoft posted:

I love how "pledged allegiance to ISIL" means something, when the reality is that it's as meaningful as pledging yourself to Hitler. It's a good indicator that someone has snapped, yeah, but trying to pretend like this is some worldwide plot because of it is just assinine.

San Bernardino is indicative. The shooter and/or his wife pledged allegiance to ISIS, but had no real connection in practice.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Friendly reminder that 100 round drums for your AR-15 are legal and can be ordered online, gun eBay has auctions starting at $100 for used and new are like $300. Settle for a 60 rounder and it's $129 new. 30 rounders too cheap to quote!

The AR itself is also fine because duh.

Peak US gun control during the AWB was the same except the big mags were only available used and the new ARs looked less cool but were mechanically identical.

:911:

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Shifty Pony posted:

Reddit has some ungodly number of pageviews. It being a haven for bigoted racist /pol/ members and giving them a giant platform to shout their hate speech from and recruit more more members to their "cause" is a Bad Thing. At the very least it normalizes a certain thread of racism/bigotry in a way that is deeply concerning.

On this subject, this curated series of tweets is excellent.

It may or may not be relevant to this particular event (we don't know enough about the gunman yet) but the author makes a compelling case that online alt-right communities are radicalising their users in ways not dissimilar to commonly acknowledged terrorist groups.

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jun 12, 2016

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Arkane posted:

Being reported that the shooter pledged allegiance to ISIS

Will goons call him a lone wolf? the same poo poo they mock christians for whenever this happens with christian shooters?

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Lightning Knight posted:

I don't see why we're so quick to poo poo on the dad. He clearly thinks it was bad and wrong and is probably devastated. To paraphrase the parents of the Giffords assassin attempt guy, he's probably in shock in some room thinking "where did I go wrong?"

There was a very moving article about one of the mothers of the Columbine shooters that was very moving about how she tries to atone for her son in any way she can but she still loves him and it's basically ruined her for all time emotionally. It's not like this guy is ever going to think of his son and not remember the loving five year old that wanted to be picked up or the 16 year old that wanted to drive or any of the other thousands of happy memories of a side of the shooter that you'll never know. It's pretty low to hate on the immediate family over petty poo poo like how dare you love your son.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
So some of you guys are saying middle-class white people have not been victims in mass-shootings in USA during the past decades?

Cool. Wow. I have been lied to by the media for a long time it seems.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
https://twitter.com/HeerJeet/status/742024386429915141

https://twitter.com/haroldpollack/status/742024052550705152

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

I don't think I will ever understand why people write essays on Twitter of all places.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Will goons call him a lone wolf? the same poo poo they mock christians for whenever this happens with christian shooters?

How about we wait for any actual connection to ISIS rather than him saying "I am ISIS!" like Michael Scott declaring bankruptcy.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The ban on gay men donating blood has been lifted in Orlando. These tragedies so rarely have any positive outcome. Hopefully this leads to lifting the ban nationwide.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

No I believe we mock the use of lone wolf when they use it to explain why people aren't terrorists for murdering people to incite fear.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Heads up -- Obama's going to speak at 1:30 EST

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Joementum posted:

The ban on gay men donating blood has been lifted in Orlando. These tragedies so rarely have any positive outcome. Hopefully this leads to lifting the ban nationwide.

George Takei shared this picture saying it's the current line to donate blood. He's not a news organization with vetting so take it with a grain of salt, but if it's real, it's good to see so many people making a positive contribution in the face of tragedy:

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Ligur posted:

So some of you guys are saying middle-class white people have not been victims in mass-shootings in USA during the past decades?

Cool. Wow. I have been lied to by the media for a long time it seems.

If you were posting in good faith I think you'd be able to see they were actually saying a middle class white person probably would not have to worry about being specifically targeted by a shooter for being a middle class white person in the way that a black person, a gay person, etc. would.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

Does this guy think that all Muslims should automatically be on this horrible and useless list because Muslim? Or does he think the guy was already on it for some reason?

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
Wow, the shooter looks like a loving douchebag in that pic

FourLeaf fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jun 12, 2016

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

George Takei shared this picture saying it's the current line to donate blood. He's not a news organization with vetting so take it with a grain of salt, but if it's real, it's good to see so many people making a positive contribution in the face of tragedy:

Here's one from a local news source:

https://twitter.com/BShieldsWFTV/status/742012883006066688

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
The guy was a person of interest in 2013 and 2014 FBI investigations, which probably means he was engaged in some radicalised chatter online. Almost certainly this plan was not cooked up in a camp on the Iraqi-Syria border but there will be enough there that you can expect a couple of weeks of "ban all muslims".

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Joementum posted:

Do they need gay blood for the gay victims?

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Shifty Pony posted:

Reddit has some ungodly number of pageviews. It being a haven for bigoted racist /pol/ members and giving them a giant platform to shout their hate speech from and recruit more more members to their "cause" is a Bad Thing. At the very least it normalizes a certain thread of racism/bigotry in a way that is deeply concerning.

Or you know you can just ostrich your head into the sand and then in a few months pretend to be shocked and confused about how the national discourse got so much worse and why people now feel it is OK to straight up say that all Muslims should be killed then deported.

I mean, reddit is full of idiot garbage people whose busy online presence masks their comparatively small numbers. But yeah, I think ignoring those types does more harm than good if you want to understand where the rightwing in the US is going. Like you said, if you give white supremacists a gigantic megaphone and a recruiting station you shouldn't be surprised when you end up with someone like Trump as a presidential candidate. Anyone who was surprised by the alt-right hasn't been paying attention.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Numlock posted:

Does this guy think that all Muslims should automatically be on this horrible and useless list because Muslim? Or does he think the guy was already on it for some reason?

Supposedly this guy was already on a watch list because of suspicious behavior

beaten:

DynamicSloth posted:

The guy was a person of interest in 2013 and 2014 FBI investigations, which probably means he was engaged in some radicalised chatter online. Almost certainly this plan was not cooked up in a camp on the Iraqi-Syria border but there will be enough there that you can expect a couple of weeks of "ban all muslims".

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Lightning Knight posted:

I actually thought the dad said pretty much exactly the right thing, he's not trying to explain his son's actions away or anything, just expressing grief and confusion.

Joementum posted:

Uh, holy poo poo, I didn't even realize that kind of ban was still a thing. The Red Cross is always blowing up my phone asking for more donations because of how desperate for blood they are, but some places ban donations from guys because they kiss other guys, this makes my head hurt.

Martin Random
Jul 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

FourLeaf posted:

If you were posting in good faith I think you'd be able to see they were actually saying a middle class white person probably would not have to worry about being specifically targeted by a shooter for being a middle class white person in the way that a black person, a gay person, etc. would.

Give BLM time to splinter and be radicalized by NSA/CIA/FBI meddling

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Numlock posted:

I assume he thinks the latter, especially if, as has been rumored, the shooter was involved with "suspicious persons" in the recent past.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

From the power/telephone pole it looks like the same location.

greatn posted:

No, but gay people are probably going to be more likely to want to help since it's something that specifically impacted their community.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Thaddius the Large posted:

I actually thought the dad said pretty much exactly the right thing, he's not trying to explain his son's actions away or anything, just expressing grief and confusion.

Uh, holy poo poo, I didn't even realize that kind of ban was still a thing. The Red Cross is always blowing up my phone asking for more donations because of how desperate for blood they are, but some places ban donations from guys because they kiss other guys, this makes my head hurt.

FDA changed the rules last December

http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/21/health/fda-gay-men-blood-donation-changes/

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I assume he thinks the latter, especially if, as has been rumored, the shooter was involved with "suspicious persons" in the recent past.

I had forgotten you can get on that list for exercising your freedom of speech and association.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

greatn posted:

shockingly gay people in the area may want to, ya know, help out and having a rule saying 'haha no of course not, you're dirty' would be kinda awkward!

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
What. The. gently caress. The Democrats made a whole lot of noise correctly arguing against denying people their constitutional rights because they'd been extra-judicially placed on a "terror watch list" back in the Bush years, but now seem to have fallen in love with the idea. I'm a strong proponent of gun control, but this 100% the wrong way to do it.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Numlock posted:

All I hope is that the push it as that just gives laws more teeth for universal gun bans across the board. Maybe less shootings would occur if guns themselves were harder to own and to own in such quantity. Why should some people have two hand guns? What are you going to do, shoot up a gay bar?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Numlock posted:

I had forgotten you can get on that list for exercising your freedom of speech and association.

Just your regular reminder that individuals as well known as Yusuf Islam and Ted Kennedy have been on that list.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Cugel the Clever posted:

What. The. gently caress. The Democrats made a whole lot of noise correctly arguing against denying people their constitutional rights because they'd been extra-judicially placed on a "terror watch list" back in the Bush years, but now seem to have fallen in love with the idea. I'm a strong proponent of gun control, but this 100% the wrong way to do it.

Yeah, this came up at the time the bill was proposed.

Considering that even this was rejected by the NRA, you can guess how "more intelligent" gun control would have fared.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Oh, fun blood donation related fact. My godmother's daughter was taught in a high school science class that black people can't accept blood transfusions from white people and vice versa. This was at a public school in the 1990s. :911: So yeah, there are probably plenty of morons who think gay and straight people have different blood.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I can confirm that the blood centers here are telling people to come back tomorrow because they are getting so many people volunteering.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
https://twitter.com/JTiloveTX/status/742027854188158977

https://twitter.com/JTiloveTX/status/742027055571701760

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Leftovers from the 80's and 90's AIDS epidemic days.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I see that Rick Scott is in a cosplay competition against James Carville for who does the best live action Skeletor.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Yeah, this came up at the time the bill was proposed.

Considering that even this was rejected by the NRA, you can guess how "more intelligent" gun control would have fared.

It hurts me to admit it, but like a stopped clock, the NRA is accidentally on the right side once in an aeon. An administrative list that doesn't require being convicted of a crime, is secret in nature, and for which there is no legal recourse is bullshit in the first place. Using that list to then attempt to restrict the rights of law abiding citizens is an even worse idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Oh ok, my bad. I misinterpreted what you said.

As for the ban on gay people, as a regular blood donator the questions on gay sex are being a prostitute are some :rolleyes: rear end poo poo and need to die in a fire. Nobody is going to transmit HIV via blood donations if they check it properly on processing, which is what they do obsessively to cover liability. Never mind that they could just as easily accomplish the same thing by changing the question to "do you have HIV-AIDs?"

• Locked thread