Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Thankfully, the father of the shooter has come out and straightly said that his son's actions shame him. Good on him.

ExplodingSims posted:

Just found out 2 of my girlfriends friends are dead ftom this. A bunch of our other friends defiantly lost friends too. This is awful.

But the good part is the community is pulling together in a massive way. And we got the ban on donating gay blood temporary lifted.

They have so much blood being donated, they've told people to come back tomorrow. Well done Florida.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Deeters posted:

I lived about 10 minutes from Sandy Hook when that happened, and could see all the news helicopters and stuff. It's a weird feeling to be that close to it. Glad to hear your friends are mostly ok.

An rear end in a top hat I am no longer friends with (but we have mutual friends) is commenting on the articles saying it's probably a hoax "just like Sandy Hook."

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

ExplodingSims posted:

Just found out 2 of my girlfriends friends are dead ftom this. A bunch of our other friends defiantly lost friends too. This is awful.

But the good part is the community is pulling together in a massive way. And we got the ban on donating gay blood temporary lifted.

Oh man, I'm so sorry to hear that :(

Reports in the poo poo-fest GBS thread of a traffic stop in LA are making fears that might not be it for today.
e:

some_admin posted:

im actually in Hawaii (big island) at this very moment.
Been here 3 times in last ten years.
Recommended:
Stay on Big island ; Honu Kona divers; stay somewhere on kohala coast; fairmount orchid is awesome; waikolea village slightly less awesome. Volcanos national park is great. Drivers here are terrible, don't know if it is just tourists with rentals or what but. Had two near accidents in 5 minutes. Also recommended renting VRBO in kapoho (vacationland) if you enjoy snorkeling and being away from most of the tourist stuff.
Kawai is ok, but pretty small and not as varied landscape as big island.
Oahu too crowded. Pearl Harbor and diamond head were cool but that was about it.
Best luck with vacations plans.
Car content - driving a Ford Fusion titanium ecoboost.
Nice car, lots of gadgets, it automatically started playing music from our phones when we plugged into usb.
Throttle tip in is terrible though, spun the wheels a lot the first day. Hauls rear end, 25.9 mpg.
Gas in Hawaii 2.90 - 3.01, and no ethanol at the place I filled up.
On a nicer topic, thanks for this post. We're close to booking but toying with the idea of multiple islands or just staying on the big island for the whole time. Probably do the Condo thing.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jun 12, 2016

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LGHtc_D328

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Never a bad time for Fred Rogers

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

CommieGIR posted:

Thankfully, the father of the shooter has come out and straightly said that his son's actions shame him. Good on him.

They have so much blood being donated, they've told people to come back tomorrow. Well done Florida.

Doesn't matter what the dad says. What else would he say?

Just like San Bernardino, I'm sure we will find out that one or more people knew this piece of poo poo was radicalizing and did nothing about it.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Elmnt80 posted:

My solo insurance quotes are all at $260-300/month for full coverage, driving 5k miles a year. I dunno how you guys do it.

I drive a Focus ST about 28k miles per year, single, own my home (well, the bank does), and carry $500k coverage and pay $102/mo. 1 ticket, no accidents. I do have excellent credit, so maybe consider building yourself some credit since it's heavily used for many things. Having credit doesn't mean you have to use it and go in debt, just get a secured credit-card and use it like your checking account, keeping it paid off and never pay any interest on it.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Seven beers deep into the first day of the wife's week long vacation and things are just hunky dory so far. Just started watching Deadwood, too. Seth Bullock is literally Raylan Givens on the 1800s and I love it.

Deadwood for me is in the same category as Firefly - An incredible show that I can't believe ended as early as it did.

ExplodingSims posted:

I just found out about this from this thread, I had no idea. I'm sorry for your GF friends, but I'm glad she is ok. Starting to look like the terrorism thing has come to us I guess, sad day.

Good to see the community pull together, sure wish it wasn't under these circumstances though.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
RE: insurance chat, its interesting being on the other side of the coin for a change. At one point I was paying over $300/month for full coverage with 100/300/100 limits on a first-gen Focus with nothing more than a single speeding ticket on my record, but now I'm down to about $70/month for two vehicles (same '02 Focus and my wife's '05 Mazda 6, liability & comp on the Focus, full coverage on the Mazda) with 250/500/250 limits. No accidents or tickets in over 5 years, married, mortgage on a house, I'm 33 and wife is 30. My credit is still a bit low (its almost back up to 650) after I was laid off and was unemployed for a few months last year.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

The Locator posted:

I just found out about this from this thread, I had no idea. I'm sorry for your GF friends, but I'm glad she is ok. Starting to look like the terrorism thing has come to us I guess, sad day.

Good to see the community pull together, sure wish it wasn't under these circumstances though.

Doesn tmatter if they were white, religious or atheist, black, Asian, born or not born int he USA - it was clearly a calculated shooting targeting a certain group so yes, its terrorism.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yeah, regardless of whether or not the guy had ties to ISIS or other organized groups, this was terrorism. Timothy Mcveigh was a lone nutcase, but no one disputes that OKC was terrorism.

What a hosed up day.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Doesn tmatter if they were white, religious or atheist, black, Asian, born or not born int he USA - it was clearly a calculated shooting targeting a certain group so yes, its terrorism.

Not disagreeing, but if the shooter had been white this would be reported and investigated as a "lone wolf" who was clearly in need of mental help, not a terrorist. White Americans are incapable of committing terrorism in the eyes of the mainstream media and law enforcement.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Geoj posted:

Not disagreeing, but if the shooter had been white this would be reported and investigated as a "lone wolf" who was clearly in need of mental help, not a terrorist. White Americans are incapable of committing terrorism in the eyes of the mainstream media and law enforcement.

Yup.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Geoj posted:

More you could just replace all the "Rarr, brown people! Islam!" from bigots with "Rarr, white people! Toxic masculinity!" from different bigots in terms of what kind of sensationalist reporting you get.

Best thing the rest of us can do is say "Aw, give it a rest, Bob, you know drat well there's at least three muslim guys you work with, and they aren't terrorists, are they?" when your coworker or whoever starts kicking off about it.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Geoj posted:

Sadly, true.

And we'll just keep watching homophobes making GBS threads on the Transgender in bathrooms while completly ignoring the fact the LGBT faces violence and discrimination every day. On this one, it's clearly a homophobe committing a terrorist act on the LGBT community.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Yeah, unfortunately the shooter has the unfortunate combo of having a foreign sounding name, Muslim ties, and shooting up a gay bar, so now all the right wing crazies are shouting about "R GUNZ" and "TERROR ISIS ISLAM" and poo poo, instead of caring about the fact that, you know, 50 people died. And of course ISIS is taking credit for this (As they do with every shooting/vague terror threat now)

At least the Orlando community has been super excellent in taking care of things like blood donations, bringing food, and taking care of everyone. I'm lucky, everyone on my Facebook has been nothing but an outpouring of support and love.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

ExplodingSims posted:

instead of caring about the fact that, you know, 50 people died.

To the right wing this was a win/win - they get to demonize Muslims and (to them) the "right people" died.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
What the gently caress is wrong with you people? Stop pointing fingers and go hug a gay loved one or something. Jesus.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Another forum I'm on is already blabbing their gobs about "How long till bleeding hearts start saying he was just a poor misguided young fella and that its Americas fault ?" and "Spoke too soon ... Apparently obumma is already blaming America and that Islam is not to blame"

loving halfwit redneck 4wders....

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Hey I work at a parts store in the south.

The hate runs deep :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Geoj posted:

To the right wing this was a win/win - they get to demonize Muslims and (to them) the "right people" died.

Haha wow. Some of you people take your left wing/right wing bullshit way too seriously.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

QuarkMartial posted:

Hey I work at a parts store in the south.

The hate runs deep :v:

My favorite was the one convinced trump was going to feed "undesirables" into a woodchipper. Sometimes I wonder how our customers would react if they found out that our entire store is democrat or independant.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

ExplodingSims posted:

gently caress me, nothing like waking up to find out the largest mass shooting happen just up the street.

Won't lie, I cried a lot when I found out. Don't know anybody there, but huge shockwaves have been sent through the entire LGBT community.

CommieGIR posted:

Don't go look at the Lt. Governor of Texas's tweet that followed it....

And then when I saw Dipshit Dan's tweet, the tears dried up and sadness turned into anger.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Cage posted:

Gym chat: I am now 291.4. That means I've lost over 30 founds since Feb 1st. Could've been more, but I do enjoy a few drinks with my parents occasionally. On the other hand, I could still be doing nothing about it and not be down anything.
Hopefully we grilling later. It is a good day. I didn't even have to use my AK
:hfive: on the weight loss, that's some serious progress.

IOwnCalculus posted:

God loving dammit. Took an RC car (17.5 1/10 touring car for those who understand such things) directly to my left big toe at full speed. Pretty sure I broke it because it hurts like a motherfucker whenever I don't have ice on it, and there's a large firm swollen bump on the bottom.
Those things can do a ton of damage. I have many scars from impacts and burns thanks to messing around with R/C poo poo growing up. Fun story: Was inverted hovering one of the helicopters in a big parking lot sitting on the hood corner of my car. I'm stupid so I was scuffing blade tips for fun. Wind suddenly died completely and helicopter went into the ground. Carbon blade impaled my cars headlight about two inches below my crotch :stonk:

Elmnt80 posted:

Also if it makes a difference, my credit is nonexistant. Everything in my life has been paid for up front. :v:
This explains it, credit matter on everything sadly. VW/928/320i/Courier, 30, clean record for $160 a month. The 'special' cars are on collector insurance though and because I'm under 50 it's expensive as hell.

ExplodingSims posted:

gently caress me, nothing like waking up to find out the largest mass shooting happen just up the street.
Our country is such a loving mess :argh:

CommieGIR posted:

Don't go look at the Lt. Governor of Texas's tweet that followed it....
If you think that's bad go see what Trump had to say about it :fuckoff:

In less lovely news went to Wingfest then hung out at a pool Saturday then grilled out and did meal prep Sunday. Great weekend other than my garage door opener getting out of sync and screwed up, need to work on that this afternoon.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Hour 3 of DNS issues for a multi billion dollar a year company. All offices in North America offline because our internet / VPN goes from local office to US city 700 miles away to another city on the other side of the world back to other US city then back to local office.

Yay!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Sadly, true.

And we'll just keep watching homophobes making GBS threads on the Transgender in bathrooms while completly ignoring the fact the LGBT faces violence and discrimination every day. On this one, it's clearly a homophobe committing a terrorist act on the LGBT community.

That's the best part: The GOP deploring the attack, while dancing around avoiding saying the word 'Gay' and trying to forget most of them just came from the 'Faith and Family' National event where they demonized the victims.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The more I read about the Orlando shooting the less I can deal with it.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
Wooh getting a tooth pulled two days before my birthday. Yay being 28 sure is looking crappy. Also gently caress everyone who has anything to say about people who were murdered over being in the night club/who they love. I honestly hope the people who have had negative comments stub there toe in the middle of the night then step in a steaming pile of dog poo poo which then infects the toe they just smashed. But please let's keep saying this is Isis related please.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Whelp, lost another grandparent. Maternal grandmother passed Sunday morning. Down to one remaining grandparent. No complaints, though - I'm 46, and firstborn. I had all of my grandparents for over 30 years, and one set of great-grandparents long enough to remember them. My daughter got to know all of her great-grandparents on my side and half of them on my wife's side. Grandmom hasn't been all there for several years (dementia) and was in care, so really a blessing.

Just found out about the Orlando thing this morning - I watched no TV and heard no radio all weekend. Horrible.
But we don't need mental health initiatives in the USA, no sir.

On a positive note, The Hot Rod Power Tour is coming through the Dallas area tomorrow, and I took the day off to go mill around at the gathering point. It's only a dozen miles up the road from my house.

Also finally changed the plugs in my Crown Vic for the first time in my ownership, potentially the first time ever for the car (157K miles, and the Motorcraft platinum looked pretty dang worn.) I goofed and got nickel plugs, and had half of them installed before I noticed. I guess i'll have to change them again in 50K instead of 100. Changed the oil, too, and captured a sample for Blackstone.
I'm glad to do the work, but yesterday was a miserable day to do it. It was high 80's , 100% humidity, and not a wisp of a breeze. I was soaking wet by the time I was done. Then it rained. Stormed, actually.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Rhyno posted:

The more I read about the Orlando shooting the less I can deal with it.

Much respect to the Orlando Sentinel for devoting the front page to the tragedy, NOT the idiot who did it.
http://q13fox.com/2016/06/13/orlando-sentinel-devotes-front-page-to-editorial-about-victims-community-not-the-gunman/

Of course the politicians are going to go on about gun control and Muslims, and say nothing about the state of jobs, healthcare, and general dissatisfaction with the general state of things in the US that give rise to these events. It must be the guns and/or Muslims that are the problem.
Happy people with good jobs don't tend to go on killing sprees.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Yea we should just ignore this it will just go away. Lord knows we couldn't do something about it and also jobs, health care, education, infrastructure...

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

CommieGIR posted:

That's the best part: The GOP deploring the attack, while dancing around avoiding saying the word 'Gay' and trying to forget most of them just came from the 'Faith and Family' National event where they demonized the victims.

I am just waiting for Alex Jones to come out and say it was a false flag op to push the "Gay Agenda" by Obama and Hillary and I have a full house on wanker bingo.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

BigPaddy posted:

I am just waiting for Alex Jones to come out and say it was a false flag op to push the "Gay Agenda" by Obama and Hillary and I have a full house on wanker bingo.

Ask and ye shall receive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Taivhe7I0IE

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BigPaddy posted:

He already did. Called it a hoax.

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/alex-jones-orlando-attack-was-false-flag

e;fb.

Also, he went on about how Hillary blocked an investigation into the attacker's Mosque. So apparently it is both a False Flag and a real attack. The Schrodinger of mass shootings.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Deeters posted:

I lived about 10 minutes from Sandy Hook when that happened, and could see all the news helicopters and stuff. It's a weird feeling to be that close to it. Glad to hear your friends are mostly ok.

I live a few blocks away from where this happened and was driving to brunch while he was going at it. I'd have driven right by him if I hadn't chosen to go up a different street. Life's weird that way and these shooters need to stop it.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Darchangel posted:

Whelp, lost another grandparent. Maternal grandmother passed Sunday morning. Down to one remaining grandparent. No complaints, though - I'm 46, and firstborn. I had all of my grandparents for over 30 years, and one set of great-grandparents long enough to remember them. My daughter got to know all of her great-grandparents on my side and half of them on my wife's side. Grandmom hasn't been all there for several years (dementia) and was in care, so really a blessing.
Sorry to hear that. I had lost all my grandparents by my mid 30s, never knew my great-grandparents. Grandmother on my mother's side died after a few years of alzheimers, which honestly was a relief for everyone because it was really painful for my grandfather, my mother and her siblings to have their mother not recognize them and being aggressive when they visited. Grandfather died from a stroke two years later.

Darchangel posted:

Just found out about the Orlando thing this morning - I watched no TV and heard no radio all weekend. Horrible.
But we don't need mental health initiatives in the USA, no sir.
Apparently he was known to spew hate speech against gay people, his father was a known taliban supporter, he had previously attacked his wife, and he still wasn't in the NICS. If the police/FBI had done their job he wouldn't have been able to (legally) buy guns.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

CommieGIR posted:

e;fb.

Also, he went on about how Hillary blocked an investigation into the attacker's Mosque. So apparently it is both a False Flag and a real attack. The Schrodinger of mass shootings.

I think the best argument for why Alex Jones is completely wrong about literally everything is that no one is stopping him, he just blathers on and on through Youtube, Infowars and his radio show. If he was actually right, wouldn't someone be out to stop him?

Or maybe that's what they want you to think. OH poo poo, Alex Jones is a false flag crackpot! :tinfoil:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Darchangel posted:

Sorry to hear that man. I lost my grandparents 20 years ago and I still dream about them from time to time. Too bad about the dementia :(

CommieGIR posted:

e;fb.

Holy gently caress, how has this guy not had the poo poo beaten out of him by a Sandy Hook parent/911 survivor yet from his false-flag horse poo poo? :eyepop:

At risk of a :can: a concerning thing I see from this is such a hard focus on guns. As an outsider, sure, it looks like the US could really use some work on gun laws (not that it helped France or Canada much) but why does the main-stream (anyone but Trump) seem so reluctant to even bring up radical islam anymore even for just legit discussion? Is it for fear of being branded an islamaphobe and bigot for even just bringing it up?

slidebite fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jun 13, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

slidebite posted:

Holy gently caress, how has this guy not had the poo poo beaten out of him by a Sandy Hook parent/911 survivor yet from his false-flag horse poo poo? :eyepop:

At risk of a :worms: a concerning I see from this is such a hard focus on guns. As an outsider, sure, it looks like the US could really use some work on gun laws (not that it helped France or Canada much) but why does the main-stream (anyone but Trump) seem so reluctant to even bring up radical islam anymore even for just legit discussion? Is it for fear of being branded an islamaphobe and bigot for even just bringing it up?

Believe it or not a lot of people in this country think Sandy Hook was a hoax. I know rational, intelligent people who have been swayed to thinking it was faked.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

e;fb.

Good loving Lord.

Collateral Damage posted:

Sorry to hear that. I had lost all my grandparents by my mid 30s, never knew my great-grandparents. Grandmother on my mother's side died after a few years of alzheimers, which honestly was a relief for everyone because it was really painful for my grandfather, my mother and her siblings to have their mother not recognize them and being aggressive when they visited. Grandfather died from a stroke two years later.

slidebite posted:

Sorry to hear that man. I lost my grandparents 20 years ago and I still dream about them from time to time. Too bad about the dementia :(
Thanks for the sympathy. Mental failing is definitely hard on everyone.

Collateral Damage posted:

Apparently he was known to spew hate speech against gay people, his father was a known taliban supporter, he had previously attacked his wife, and he still wasn't in the NICS. If the police/FBI had done their job he wouldn't have been able to (legally) buy guns.

AND the FBI investigated him previously. Twice.

Rhyno posted:

Believe it or not a lot of people in this country think Sandy Hook was a hoax. I know rational, intelligent people who have been swayed to thinking it was faked.

I weep for the country my daughter will inherit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

slidebite posted:

why does the main-stream (anyone but Trump) seem so reluctant to even bring up radical islam anymore even for just legit discussion? Is it for fear of being branded an islamaphobe and bigot for even just bringing it up?

Mass shootings are not unique to radical islam. It's a non-issue.

• Locked thread