Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Hollismason posted:

I see that Rick Scott is in a cosplay competition against James Carville for who does the best live action Skeletor.

Neither of them are buff as gently caress though :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Liquid Communism posted:

It hurts me to admit it, but like a stopped clock, the NRA is accidentally on the right side once in an aeon. An administrative list that doesn't require being convicted of a crime, is secret in nature, and for which there is no legal recourse is bullshit in the first place. Using that list to then attempt to restrict the rights of law abiding citizens is an even worse idea.

"I'm loathe to admit the NRA was right," said the idiot who's been quoting NRA talking points about Obama 'using shooting victims' families as props'.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

fool_of_sound posted:

When has it ever been a rule to cosplay with the same body type though?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

fool_of_sound posted:

Dude was a skeleton. He clearly used padding.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Buff Rick Scott would make a great evil warlord.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Rick Scott is Voldemort guys come on we've been over this

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
James Carville jogged in front of a streetcar on St Charles ave that I was riding causing the driver to slam on the brakes so I yelled "SKELETOR!" out the window. He looked back and seemed pretty pissed. So he at least acknowledges the nickname.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Tatum Girlparts posted:

"I'm loathe to admit the NRA was right," said the idiot who's been quoting NRA talking points about Obama 'using shooting victims' families as props'.

Untwist your shorts, culture warrior. It's possible to be critical of your own party's elected officials.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Rick Scott is Voldemort guys come on we've been over this

That or what's his name in the Roger Rabbit movie. Any tall skinny bald of evil character really.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Shifty Pony posted:

Reddit has some ungodly number of pageviews.

Funny cat videos have ungodly numbers of pageviews too but I don't think they're going to shift the national discourse in any meaningful way.

According to reddit I'm sure Obama would have never been president, bernie would've won the primary, and hillary would be in chains. Stop over analyzing communities of angry 19 year old racists and go outside, is what I'm saying.

Edit: don't forget about Ron Paul lol

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Liquid Communism posted:

Untwist your shorts, culture warrior. It's possible to be critical of your own party's elected officials.

Nah, its okay, the NRA was totally on top of gun control when the Black Panthers had access to guns.

And no, the NRA was not right to use conspiracy theories to criticize the president on calling for legislation in the wake of school shootings. But then again, considering the people who are on the board of the NRA, its not suprising.

The NRA is a terrible firearms rights group. Period. Its more a Right Wing talking point circus than a Firearms Group.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
There were tweets from Trump and the Lt. Governor of Texas that got deleted since they were posted. Anyone get a screenshot of either?

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

KittenofDoom posted:

There were tweets from Trump and the Lt. Governor of Texas that got deleted since they were posted. Anyone get a screenshot of either?

Pretty sure the Trump one was about him denying that he made fun of the disabled reporter

e: well wait, no, that one's still there

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
James Carville is a extreme loving weirdo btw. Went to my friends restaurant orderd a fried seafood platter and a empty plate then meticously peeled off all breading from his shrimp and fish then put it on the empty plate.

loving weirdo.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

CommieGIR posted:

Nah, its okay, the NRA was totally on top of gun control when the Black Panthers had access to guns.

And no, the NRA was not right to use conspiracy theories to criticize the president on calling for legislation in the wake of school shootings. But then again, considering the people who are on the board of the NRA, its not suprising.

The NRA is a terrible firearms rights group. Period. Its more a Right Wing talking point circus than a Firearms Group.

They are basically a PAC for old scared white people at this point, yes. It's going to bite them in the rear end, because they've leaned so hard in the direction of the dying olds that most of the younger people interested in hunting and shooting sports want nothing to do with them, and I think that can only be a good thing.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

KittenofDoom posted:

The Right Wing Media thread does, I'm phone posting so I can't copy it for you. :(

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Liquid Communism posted:

They are basically a PAC for old scared white people at this point, yes. It's going to bite them in the rear end, because they've leaned so hard in the direction of the dying olds that most of the younger people interested in hunting and shooting sports want nothing to do with them, and I think that can only be a good thing.

True. Its a Baby Boomer party, they used to be a good group back in the day but instead of sticking to firearms rights they started courting the Tea Party and their ilk and now are rife with madness.

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/742034549232766976

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

FourLeaf posted:

Pretty sure the Trump one was about him denying that he made fun of the disabled reporter

e: well wait, no, that one's still there

Trump deleted a typo version of that disabled reporter one. The Dan Patrick one was a bible quote "Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows." He claimed it was just a coincidence and anyone who says otherwise is "irresponsible" (as opposed to the guy who "accidentally" tweeted a quote that sounded a lot like victim blaming after news had already broke of a terrible tragedy).

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Business Gorillas posted:

Funny cat videos have ungodly numbers of pageviews too but I don't think they're going to shift the national discourse in any meaningful way.

According to reddit I'm sure Obama would have never been president, bernie would've won the primary, and hillary would be in chains. Stop over analyzing communities of angry 19 year old racists and go outside, is what I'm saying.

Edit: don't forget about Ron Paul lol
Yeah when did angry young guys that spend too much time online ever do anything? I mean, radicalization is something that happens to muslims, otherwise it's just lone nuts. And :lol: if you don't think the national discourse has been shifted. There's an entire thread about right wing media but somehow certain sites don't count. Because Bill Kristol's tweets are the heart of the modern right movement, not angry racists on dumb websites, right?

My point is just that "lol reddit" is a good response in general, but ignoring a gigantic recruiting hub for radicals just because of some weird website chauvinism is foolish.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/RobertFaturechi/status/742030062854119424/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Rick Scott " Our state works to stop discrimination"

Hrmmmm

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

STAC Goat posted:

Trump deleted a typo version of that disabled reporter one. The Dan Patrick one was a bible quote "Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows." He claimed it was just a coincidence and anyone who says otherwise is "irresponsible" (as opposed to the guy who "accidentally" tweeted a quote that sounded a lot like victim blaming after news had already broke of a terrible tragedy).
That tweet was pretty clearly automated. I agree he should have apologized instead of going "it is you who was irresponsible" but come on.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

FourLeaf posted:

If you were posting in good faith I think you'd be able to see they were actually saying a middle class white person probably would not have to worry about being specifically targeted by a shooter for being a middle class white person in the way that a black person, a gay person, etc. would.

I always post in good faith. I had no idea gays, black people, and women were targeted by mass-shooters in USA before this afghan guy did so.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Aight see yall.

Done for the day.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

That tweet was pretty clearly automated. I agree he should have apologized instead of going "it is you who was irresponsible" but come on.

"This tweet was automated and the timing was very unfortunate" would mean it was actually a mistake. "It was a mistake guys really and if you think otherwise you're the real racist" is a kneejerk reaction to being called out on something you did intentionally.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Clearly fake, no one who has ever smelt the sweet smell of burnt powder would ever dare call them "clips"

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
Jesus Christ, if this is the beginning of coordinated attacks.... i just hope they stop as many of them beforehand as possible

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

CommieGIR posted:

True. Its a Baby Boomer party, they used to be a good group back in the day but instead of sticking to firearms rights they started courting the Tea Party and their ilk and now are rife with madness.

Yea, I remember in the 90s when they started to change direction. In the late 80s we were suburban kids who went hunting once or twice a year and hit the shooting range once a month or os. We had the big NRA wilderness guide. Had lots of great info like how to read tracks, and how to properly stalk when moving towards an animal you're hunting. Hell, at least 90% of it was non-gun stuff (just as 90% of all hunting is not directly gun related). Then around the time of the LA riots my dad (who was the NRA member of the house) started getting mailers from them with all this racist dog whistling about how people in LA weren't able to protect their homes because of California's 5-day waiting period. It was a pretty stark change and stuff only got worse from there. Of course, since my dad is terribly racist he ate it up and became a lifetime member. But now neither my brother or I could ever associate ourselves with the NRA.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Trabisnikof posted:

Clearly fake, no one who has ever smelt the sweet smell of burnt powder would ever dare call them "clips"

https://twitter.com/90cwhd/status/742033501315174401

Not fake, but probably nothing but police will be on alert across the country.

It's too early to glean any additional information about the situation in California.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

FourLeaf posted:

Jesus Christ, if this is the beginning of coordinated attacks.... i just hope they stop as many of them beforehand as possible

Lol calm down there mr Clancy

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Sharkie posted:

And :lol: if you don't think the national discourse has been shifted. There's an entire thread about right wing media but somehow certain sites don't count. Because Bill Kristol's tweets are the heart of the modern right movement, not angry racists on dumb websites, right?

I wasn't aware bill Kristol was shaping the national discourse through reddit posts.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

whitey delenda est posted:

Lol calm down there mr Clancy

Tbf this focus on air travel and shoe bombers is crazy when it's a lot easier, especially in the US, to just walk to a crowded place with a gun and open up. I mean people have already done it multiple times and nothing has been done about it. You can walk on the street with an assault rifle and if the police accost you it's a violation of your God-given rights. If you have people willing to die it's by far the most efficient and powerful way to make people panic. Look at Paris.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I wonder why American Muslims would radicalize.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Despite it being the obvious side-effect, I don't think this shooting is going to help trump or the GOP in general, really. It's just too confusing for them to hang onto for very long.

It's mostly the target, if that's not the obvious bit. It's just too difficult for them to handle, once the cheap points-scoring off the attacker being Muslim is done. I mean, they're gonna have to at some point confront the fact that it's victims, not just mainly but almost certainty in their entirety, were gay. Likely they'll just drop it rather then do that.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Sharkie posted:

My point is just that "lol reddit" is a good response in general, but ignoring a gigantic recruiting hub for radicals just because of some weird website chauvinism is foolish.

My point is "maybe you shouldn't be shocked that a website full of racists say a racist thing and if you don't like it when the website of racists says a racist thing maybe you should stop reading it and go do literally anything else".

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

quote:

Mateen had a valid firearms license in Florida and worked as a security guard at a facility for juvenile deliquents.

Sourced from the Daily Beast, so taken with a grain of salt, but if true :negative:

Apparently he was investigated by the FBI. Twice.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I know it's impossible because politicians and money, but I wonder how well a move to repeal the 2nd amendment would be received by the public, especially after the killing sprees of these last few years. A quick Google didn't turn up any recent polling on that question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Arkane posted:

If the shooter was radicalized, its the 4th Islamic terror attack in the US since the start of 2015.

Looks to be nearly confirmed now.

Previous 3: Chattanooga, Garland (gunmen shot by police), and San Bernardino

• Locked thread