Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

SocketWrench posted:

Presence of medical waste confirmed.

So how many more Olympic games before we're hosting them on the great Pacific garbage patch?

honestly it feels like after these games we'll be hosting all of them on madagascar for the next few centuries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

I hate yankees posted:

That bike path collapsed and killed a few people. The locals were taking selfies with the water logged corpses and small children were frolicking around them as well.

a rio de janeiro party don't stop even when there's dead people on the beach

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

EorayMel posted:

I made a few adjustments to the bingo card I downloaded a while back, but how does this fare?

This is bullshit. The athlete murdered wasn't on the olympic team, the athletes refusing to go weren't on the olympic teams, and the water test was two years old.

I know we're all very excited for this to be a complete mess, but let's not get ahead of ourselves

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

KomodoWagon posted:

It clearly means rascals. :ms:
That's the cognate, but it's all but meaningless now and is hardly an adequate translation.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
As much as I feel for all the poor and working class people in Brazil that have to deal with this corruption and crimewave... this entire fiasco is riveting and I honestly check this thread for hilarious updates first thing every morning.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
Hm, let's see what's going on with the Olympics in the news today:

Wow, that looks bad. Wonder what the official Olympics page and the Rio 2016 Games page have to say about all of this trouble and concern...

Oh, good. Everything's fine. I wonder if all of those displaced favela kids can grow up to compete on the refugee team.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Here is a good piece on how the security and cops situation in rio is breaking down.

An excerpt

"To compound the situation, Rio’s state government is broke and has slashed police budgets by a third. The state relies heavily on tax revenue from offshore oil fields, and its revenue has been decimated by the tumbling global price of oil.

Short on supplies, morale and at times even ammunition, police stationed in Rio favelas such as this one are increasingly confined to their bases, one officer said, speaking on the condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to comment.

“Before they used to do patrols, talking to residents, working out conflicts,” Brandão said. “I think they gave up.”

Beltrame, the state security official, said that he had been forced to cut overtime hours for hundreds of officers.

Budgets for fuel and food have been reduced — at one police station in central Rio, local residents have been donating stationery and toilet paper.

“I have never faced a crisis like this,” said Beltrame, who has been in his job nine years."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...eadlines&wpmm=1

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Lime Tonics posted:

Here is a good piece on how the security and cops situation in rio is breaking down.

An excerpt

"To compound the situation, Rio’s state government is broke and has slashed police budgets by a third. The state relies heavily on tax revenue from offshore oil fields, and its revenue has been decimated by the tumbling global price of oil.

Short on supplies, morale and at times even ammunition, police stationed in Rio favelas such as this one are increasingly confined to their bases, one officer said, speaking on the condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to comment.

“Before they used to do patrols, talking to residents, working out conflicts,” Brandão said. “I think they gave up.”

Beltrame, the state security official, said that he had been forced to cut overtime hours for hundreds of officers.

Budgets for fuel and food have been reduced — at one police station in central Rio, local residents have been donating stationery and toilet paper.

“I have never faced a crisis like this,” said Beltrame, who has been in his job nine years."

Now, that may sound bad, but remember what the runners of the games have been saying. Things are totally going to be fine! The unity of the Olympics will serve as a glue to hold together all elements of Brazilian society!!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
joke's on you, favelas are held together with duct tape

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Lime Tonics posted:

An excerpt

I keep seeing poo poo with people moaning about the lower cost of oil loving things up. I tell these people to eat poo poo. They were making tons of profit when gas was sub 2 bucks.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Johnny Aztec posted:

I keep seeing poo poo with people moaning about the lower cost of oil loving things up. I tell these people to eat poo poo. They were making tons of profit when gas was sub 2 bucks.

Well, that's not exactly right. Gas prices go up and down with and without oil prices depending on demand and supply.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Can someone think about BP?

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

My opinion is that the whole financial system is intrinsically lazy and basically shoved all its money into oil because why not, it's guaranteed money, right?

Now lol we're really seeing the curse of oil

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Camping.. Intense! posted:

but the Athletes wont be getting pregnant and LOL if your a tourist going to Brazil.

Get this guys: Zika is sexually transmitted and only fucks you up if you get pregnant... so people just shouldn't get pregnant or go to Brazil and things will work out fine! :smuggo:

Just in case my cutting wit was confusing, despite all the warnings about Zika, athletes will get pregnant and tourists will go to Brazil.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
Hey, think on this, golf might actually be exciting this year. Golfers swarmed by zika mosquitoes and the water hazards really are hazardous.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

SocketWrench posted:

Hey, think on this, golf might actually be exciting this year. Golfers swarmed by zika mosquitoes and the water hazards really are hazardous.

New rule: ball goes in the water, you have to go in after it.

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010

CrashCat posted:

Yeah, I like it and I'm not gonna move to Canada, so that's basically the only time I get to see it, apart from a bunch of YouTube videos with no commentary

Here you go, some curling with commentary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lVG6jsuBI8

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lime Tonics posted:

An excerpt

Brazil is fundamentally screwed on the economic side since it's still in many ways a commodity export economy

etalian fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jun 12, 2016

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
gently caress, america beat us to the ISIS attack thing

get your poo poo together

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
What are those cars brazil builds and sells ?

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

unpacked robinhood posted:

What are those cars brazil builds and sells ?

I'd risk saying it's VW, Fiat and GM cars to latin america.

brazil is also the third biggest airplane maker in the world

nerdz fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jun 12, 2016

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

nerdz posted:

I'd risk saying it's VW, Fiat and GM cars to latin america.

brazil is also the third biggest airplane maker in the world

do all their planes have ridiculously oversized tailwings?

El Golden Goose
Jul 23, 2007

etalian posted:

Brazil is fundamentally screwed on the economic side since it's still in many ways a commodity export economy

That has got to be one of the absolute worst data visualizations I've ever seen. Point about brazil's trash fire economy stands though.

dodecahardon
Oct 20, 2008

Lime Tonics posted:

Short on supplies, morale and at times even ammunition,

I like that being short on ammo is one of their concerns. It's refreshing to know that Brazil's finest are simply understood to be paramilitary soldiers, disposing of the charade most countries' police have to keep up for the media.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

adocious posted:

I like that being short on ammo is one of their concerns. It's refreshing to know that Brazil's finest are simply understood to be paramilitary soldiers, disposing of the charade most countries' police have to keep up for the media.

everyone knows brazil and south africa have the best police videos

Ricardio
Dec 3, 2012

Completely Consensual

Madcosby posted:

do all their planes have ridiculously oversized tailwings?

*golf clap*

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

etalian posted:

can't wait for the 2016 graph. It's gonna be just Zika, other diseases, and sadness

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

CrashCat posted:

can't wait for the 2016 graph. It's gonna be just Zika, other diseases, and sadness

zika, the acai berry, mma gym Jiu Jitsu coaches, independent commercial flight small-batch electronics importer & those gross cans of corned beef you get at the dollar store.

These five industries will be the backbone of the Brazilian economy for the next decade.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

shadow puppet of a posted:

zika, the acai berry, mma gym Jiu Jitsu coaches, independent commercial flight small-batch electronics importer & those gross cans of corned beef you get at the dollar store.

These five industries will be the backbone of the Brazilian economy for the next decade.

Um, Butts?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Not in terms of an export economy. True, Brazil has been a pioneer of dangerous injectible cosmetics domestically, but its really the tabloid newspapers and clickfarms in need of a good medical horror story that give the procedure a nationalized moniker.

That said, I never want to be with a woman that does not have tire puncture sealant in her rear end and airbag accelerant in her lips.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

mma gym Jiu Jitsu coaches

Yeah but that shits hella exported. Brazilians sure have a ton of national pride but gently caress if all the skilled ones like that just can't seem to be trying to gtfo to America to open a gym or teach

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Yeah but that shits hella exported. Brazilians sure have a ton of national pride but gently caress if all the skilled ones like that just can't seem to be trying to gtfo to America to open a gym or teach

wow you just figured out why the brazilian soccer team (among a LOT of other sports) is poo poo now

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
50 kills 50 injured is a pretty impressive for one guy.

ISIS at Rio is reall gonna have to step it up with like 8 guys blastin the hell outta everything. The Brazillian military will start firing like crazy in response too with no regard to civillians so i expect some really high casualties. poo poo could get crazy.

Man this plus trumps remarks about it.

Its gonna be amazing.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I would prefer it if nobody got hurt but everyone that goes gets Zika and nobody wants to gently caress them ever again and risk contracting it so we create a separate race of abstinent uber-men & women with the physical prowess and peak physique of Heracles but with the sullen social anxiety and basement dwellery of the goonlordiest goon.

A human paradox if you will. But an entire new race of them. We surrender the super-dry interior of the Antarctic to them and come back in 10,000 years. To some remarkable still tableau as their perfect athlete bodies dry out into finest human jerky.

Or it begets a Civ5 nightmare scenario where someone scuttled off to that inaccessible single plot at the southern reaches with two fish and some iron ore and went on to win through astounding tech boosting and purchased space ship parts with all those original gold medals left lying around.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

I would prefer it if nobody got hurt but everyone that goes gets Zika and nobody wants to gently caress them ever again and risk contracting it so we create a separate race of abstinent uber-men & women with the physical prowess and peak physique of Heracles but with the sullen social anxiety and basement dwellery of the goonlordiest goon.

A human paradox if you will. But an entire new race of them. We surrender the super-dry interior of the Antarctic to them and come back in 10,000 years. To some remarkable still tableau as their perfect athlete bodies dry out into finest human jerky.

Or it begets a Civ5 nightmare scenario where someone scuttled off to that inaccessible single plot at the southern reaches with two fish and some iron ore and went on to win through astounding tech boosting and purchased space ship parts with all those original gold medals left lying around.

A truly compelling vision of the future!

What happened to all those articles about BRIICS and the end of the west, anyway

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The brics shat themselves

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Fire Barrel posted:

Maybe they could just put the water sports in a pool or something. I bet there's an indoor pool somewhere in Rio. You'd just have to get creative with the boat races.

5 minutes after setting up the pool there'll be poo poo and a dead body in it

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations

unpacked robinhood posted:

The brics shat themselves

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Shat BRICS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmperorFritoBandito