Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
People take Rear Gunner because ITS A PLANE SKILL SO ITS THE OBVIOUS CHOICE DUH and then they get dumpstered by stealth torps by a DD who snuck through the battle lines or keep autopiloting and eat triple citadels from a max range BB + scout plane shot. Because pubbie CVs are often dumber than bricks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.

El Disco posted:

Not even Situational Awareness? Isn't that useful for a CV to let you know a DD is about to gently caress you?

I prefer additional AA protection, so I didn't choose SA originally.

The hardest part is not having last stand... since my torps are 5.6 and my detection is 6.0.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

jownzy posted:

The hardest part is not having last stand... since my torps are 5.6 and my detection is 6.0.

Your aa means you didnt see their planes even coming. Sa would have told you that. Sa is perhaps the most powerful skill for just 1 point. I've had good use of it even as a battleship. Got chased by a dd and once I realized there was no enemies in view, I turned around and face raped him because it wasnt expected for a bb to charge him.

If you suspect the enemy is going to midway you, keep your fighters at home to respond.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

jownzy posted:

Heh, had a ranked game today where our Kiev didn't have Last Stand. He died early to getting his engine knocked out twice in a row. :regd09:

And yeah Torpedo Acceleration was why for a long time I couldn't use my Fubuki captain on my Kamikaze. Really glad I switched it out for Superintendent when I got to the Kagero.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
Translated from somewhere in EU land, 0.5.7 patch notes with lots of actual numbers re: all the upgrade slot changes.

http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/82800-057-patch-notes-from-eu/page__pid__2022894#entry2022894

Quoting this one here, expect to see DDs burning metaphorical rubber & shitters going back and forth a lot:

quote:

Fifth Upgrade Slot
We increased the usefulness of an upgrade that was rarely used by players.

Reworked Upgrades:
Propulsion Modification 2 (-20% to time for reaching full power) the bonus has been increased to -50% to time for reaching full power. Moreover, with this upgrade the engine is automatically boosted by 50% while the ship accelerates from 0 to 6 knots (in both ahead and astern directions)

lol :rice: vtech kickin' in yo

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Huh, their description of Aiming Systems Modification 1 seems different than what I saw on the test server. In particular, the secondary battery build is BACK (except for US ships).

EDIT: IF it's right, of course.

wdarkk fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jun 11, 2016

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

JuffoWup posted:

Your aa means you didnt see their planes even coming. Sa would have told you that. Sa is perhaps the most powerful skill for just 1 point. I've had good use of it even as a battleship. Got chased by a dd and once I realized there was no enemies in view, I turned around and face raped him because it wasnt expected for a bb to charge him.

If you suspect the enemy is going to midway you, keep your fighters at home to respond.

First, I'm not going for a Midway with my Japanese captain. I'm going for wins in ranked. DD's don't CV hunt in ranked.
Second, since my Ryujo has one fighter, it must be used to tie up the enemy fighter, so that I can attack the enemy carrier. One Japanese fighter can't stop 4 groups of bombers. It's not about seeing the enemy coming, it's about killing as much of their planes as possible before they can drop bombs on you.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

jownzy posted:

First, I'm not going for a Midway with my Japanese captain. I'm going for wins in ranked. DD's don't CV hunt in ranked.
Second, since my Ryujo has one fighter, it must be used to tie up the enemy fighter, so that I can attack the enemy carrier. One Japanese fighter can't stop 4 groups of bombers. It's not about seeing the enemy coming, it's about killing as much of their planes as possible before they can drop bombs on you.

Au contraire, DDs most certainly do hunt CVs in ranked. Sure, it's an utter waste of time and almost always to the detriment of their team, but many do so nonetheless. Got stuck with, in several games in close succession, a certain shitter who never bothered to cap, but just edged around the map and then wandered around the opposing teams' starting area for a while. In a loving Kiev.

Yes, yes, I know what you actually meant.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Somehow the only 2 enjoyable games tonight I had was one in a Hosho where I somehow detonated a Arkansas B at the start of the match, and then somehow actually didn't gently caress up the other torp drops and actually accomplished something. The other was somehow doing this in a Gnevy.

We were down a ton of points, but I finished off an Ishizuchi, then burned down their Zuiho, got to 3k from a enemy Texas and torped him down, took a shot at 1% health St Louis at long range and then ran from an enemy crusier. Match ran out of time and those ship kills were enough to swing us on points.

Then I play my Aoba and get loving wrecked constantly. I used to really like the ship, but it doesn't seem like its as good as it used to be.

CitizenKain fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jun 11, 2016

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

quote:

Gun Fire Control System Modification 0 (+20% to traverse speed of main turrets and torpedo tubes; +20% to secondary battery maximum firing range; -64% to maximum dispersion of main and secondary battery shells). This upgrade will be available only for Premium Japanese ships with 140-mm main guns (currently: Iwaki, Yubari and Katori)
Oh hey there yubari buff. On the other hand, all it does is mean I can swing my turret around more.

The US BB stuff is interesting though. Looks like you can put together some mean secondary setups on them with this which will be fun to try out on the arkansas b.

JuffoWup fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jun 11, 2016

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

PTR is a hellhole of poo poo heads, bots, afk-ers, slavic nazis and retards.

However, it's ace for getting brain dead idiots in Yamatos who have no idea how to play them and I just melt them in a Hipper.

Also when did German HE become workable? I tried it out today and crikey charlie if I wasn't the little arsonist.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Do they even have decent secondary guns ?

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Krogort posted:

Do they even have decent secondary guns ?

Nope. But the buffs to their primaries are sure looking pretty nice.

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

We know what you been up to and my advice on that little venture is to pack it in. It won't work. It will all end in tears.

Complications posted:

So what tiers do you guys usually play? My usual is in T4/T5 ships, since I only have one T6 and a T7 since I am bad at this game. I could tell a story or two about my experiences in the Isokaze and Minekaze (so much fun), but from reading the thread you guys seem pretty familiar with the typical sort of big game hunting that occurs in those. I've started the IJN cruiser line, since the shell speeds seem better than the USN lines but I'm wondering if I should be going for the Russian or German lines instead. I keep trying in battleships, but I am just so bad with them. All of my volleys just keep straddling or doing 3k damage at ranges above 10km. In the Kongo and New York. It's pitiful.

I've heard good things about playing with people on Discord and suchlike, but I have no idea if I've got the tiers to even show up. Should I just keep grinding?

T5 is the sweet spot for me. The ships arent powerful enough to wipe you out in one or two unlucky hits as they are in higher tiers, and the players are still a mixed group so you can reap noobs.
In higher tiers players are often less aggressive to the point of being timid, because they dont want to pay repair costs or they dont want to be the first to engage and get sunk, everyone is trying to be that guy who cleans up after a large engagement and fights weakened enemies and gets the kills but doesnt get hurt. Its very frustrating.

IJN cruiser line is great. Tenyeru is pretty weak but thats expected at its low tier. Kuma is widely praised as one of the best early tier cruisers. It has speed and handling like a destroyer but good reach on its guns and those torpedoes pack a heavy punch. The downside is the lack of armor and very long hull. More experienced players tend to focus on an enemy Kuma out of any other visible ships because its so easy to get citadel hits and take it out of the battle very fast. Always be turning and use terrain for cover, but its a great little ship.

Its a great time to be going down the IJN line, because th Furutaka has seen some upgrades that make it a total boss of a ship. It used to be something of a dog even with its larger guns, but with the newest changes its amazingly good. Its very fast and nimble, its guns are bigger than anything else at its tier, and theyre amazingly accurate with very little dispersion. Its a cidatel hit machine on any cruisers of same tier or below.

So far ive been very disappointed by the Aoba, it seems like another "this is basically the same ship you had before only now you fight higher tiers" "upgrade" for the Japs. Frustrating since the same thing happens on the DD line at the same tier. Its like T7 is the time to stop having fun and start paying for ships.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I preferred the "old" IJN CA line because I liked the Furutaka even then, and the 155mm Mogami was fantastic. Now the line is probably the same strength overall but the Mogami is a bit of a black hole. Definately the worst T8 Cruiser now, might even have a claim as worst T8 ship.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

talk about snakebit: unlocked/bought the Udaloi last night. In 5 games, I've had two in a row where my internet dropped (in 2000+ games, this has happened I think 4 times) right at the round start, and now two detonations in back to back games.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

that is a pretty impressive set of top xp scorers. Your welcome for the wins you top tiered retards. Only the carrier makes a mention.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

JuffoWup posted:

that is a pretty impressive set of top xp scorers. Your welcome for the wins you top tiered retards. Only the carrier makes a mention.

Colorado and Texas in a division? What a pair of winners.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !

El Disco posted:

Colorado and Texas in a division? What a pair of winners.

Given the XP award disparity between the two, I'd be interested to see what the post game stats for both of them are and compare. It also looks like the Ranger on the enemy team got :commissar:'ed early on.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

How about this fail platoon?

Tier V gets more than triple xp over his buddy in the Derpitz and takes his rightful place near the top of our team.

ToiletDuckie
Feb 18, 2006
I'm bad and all, but being a Nagato in a two platoon'd Iowa match is an unfortunate experience, other tier VIII-IX ships notwithstanding.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Just want to say that getting citadels on dumb idiot cruisers who turn their broadsides to my DD because they assume my piddly DD guns won't do jack will never not be funny well thanks for reading hope you enjoyed

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Insert name here posted:

Just want to say that getting citadels on dumb idiot cruisers who turn their broadsides to my DD because they assume my piddly DD guns won't do jack will never not be funny well thanks for reading hope you enjoyed

I do more citadels hits with my Gremy than with my Iowa...

drat pubbies, why couldn't you win this one and shower me in xp for my best game ever.

Krogort fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Jun 12, 2016

scavok
Feb 22, 2005

Raw_Beef posted:

T5 is the sweet spot for me. The ships arent powerful enough to wipe you out in one or two unlucky hits as they are in higher tiers, and the players are still a mixed group so you can reap noobs.
In higher tiers players are often less aggressive to the point of being timid, because they dont want to pay repair costs or they dont want to be the first to engage and get sunk, everyone is trying to be that guy who cleans up after a large engagement and fights weakened enemies and gets the kills but doesnt get hurt. Its very frustrating.

IJN cruiser line is great. Tenyeru is pretty weak but thats expected at its low tier. Kuma is widely praised as one of the best early tier cruisers. It has speed and handling like a destroyer but good reach on its guns and those torpedoes pack a heavy punch. The downside is the lack of armor and very long hull. More experienced players tend to focus on an enemy Kuma out of any other visible ships because its so easy to get citadel hits and take it out of the battle very fast. Always be turning and use terrain for cover, but its a great little ship.

Its a great time to be going down the IJN line, because th Furutaka has seen some upgrades that make it a total boss of a ship. It used to be something of a dog even with its larger guns, but with the newest changes its amazingly good. Its very fast and nimble, its guns are bigger than anything else at its tier, and theyre amazingly accurate with very little dispersion. Its a cidatel hit machine on any cruisers of same tier or below.

So far ive been very disappointed by the Aoba, it seems like another "this is basically the same ship you had before only now you fight higher tiers" "upgrade" for the Japs. Frustrating since the same thing happens on the DD line at the same tier. Its like T7 is the time to stop having fun and start paying for ships.

I liked the Furutaka, but the Aoba is a monster for tier 6. So many citadels. It's like the Molotov, but doesn't get hit quite as hard and it has 10km torps. I feel about the Myoko the same way you do about the Aoba, but you have to play it in ranked for the extra HP.

kaesarsosei posted:

I preferred the "old" IJN CA line because I liked the Furutaka even then, and the 155mm Mogami was fantastic. Now the line is probably the same strength overall but the Mogami is a bit of a black hole. Definately the worst T8 Cruiser now, might even have a claim as worst T8 ship.

I had so much fun with the IJN CA's right up until I go to the Mogami. It feels like a slower Myoko. It works in games where it's the highest tier, but if there are tier 9 or 10, it's just noncompetitive fodder. I don't think I'll ever get to the Zao even though it's my favorite line. It's just too much of a mountain to get over when it just isn't fun to play 2/3 of the time.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012
Is the Arp Kongou event challenge over forever or is there any indication that there will be another chance to get the two first Arp Kongou ships?

I reinstalled today to introduce a buddy to the game and saw that the Arpeggio collab thing was in full swing. When the friend went to sleep, I marathoned one of the challenges and got me my Kirishima in between 22:00 yesterday and 7:00 today. For a Kongou with a slightly worse Artillery rating and a Razer Inc® paintjob it was probably not worth the loss of sleep, but gosh darn it the Kongou is my favorite ship in this game and another Kongou in my dock can't possibly be a bad thing. I'm probably gonna get the other one tomorrow while I watch E3.

I forgot how stupidly generous WoWs is compared to WoT, logged in today and lost some beta tester tags or whatever but got 3 million credits, some flags and all my admiral skill points back for free. In between the dailies and the ridiculous amount of credits you get in low tiers, I wouldn't be surprised if you never had to buy a premium account to enjoy this game and instead just spent your gold on commodities like ship slots and retraining admirals.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
No premium is viable to T7 I would say, but after that the grinds are so slow...for the sake of £8 a month there is nothing better you can spend the money on in WoW I believe. And once you play with premium you won't want to go back.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

OSad posted:

Is the Arp Kongou event challenge over forever or is there any indication that there will be another chance to get the two first Arp Kongou ships?

I reinstalled today to introduce a buddy to the game and saw that the Arpeggio collab thing was in full swing. When the friend went to sleep, I marathoned one of the challenges and got me my Kirishima in between 22:00 yesterday and 7:00 today. For a Kongou with a slightly worse Artillery rating and a Razer Inc® paintjob it was probably not worth the loss of sleep, but gosh darn it the Kongou is my favorite ship in this game and another Kongou in my dock can't possibly be a bad thing. I'm probably gonna get the other one tomorrow while I watch E3.

I forgot how stupidly generous WoWs is compared to WoT, logged in today and lost some beta tester tags or whatever but got 3 million credits, some flags and all my admiral skill points back for free. In between the dailies and the ridiculous amount of credits you get in low tiers, I wouldn't be surprised if you never had to buy a premium account to enjoy this game and instead just spent your gold on commodities like ship slots and retraining admirals.

???

The only difference between the ARP ships and the normal top hulls is the lack of camo. Which is unfortunate, but I generally don't use camo on a Kongo anyways. Any artillery rating difference would be caused by captains and/or modules you have installed. And the odds of the first two ever being available again are low. Very low.

Incidentally, if you happen to want variety instead of listening to I-401 all the time, Kirishima's voice files actually ARE in the game - they're just not in the correct folders. There might be a mod out that fixes it, or you can just go through the tedium of going through a bunch of folders and move a shitload of voice files manually. ARP Haruna's voice files are correctly set up.

edit: Also looking through the files, as well as the other non-NA servers, looks like the final two ARP ships, at least for the moment, are going to be Hiei(so you can be the proud owner of all four Kongos!) and the Myoko-class Haguro.

And on something of a side note, the Kongo in-game, whether ARP or normal, is actually Hiei.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jun 12, 2016

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

We know what you been up to and my advice on that little venture is to pack it in. It won't work. It will all end in tears.
I dont understand this "girls are boats" thing at all. The bombs really messed Japan up.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Raw_Beef posted:

I dont understand this "girls are boats" thing at all. The bombs really messed Japan up.

I actually decided to give the anime a look over. It wasn't terrible, somewhat fan-servicy though.

The whole thing is that they're more like sentient AI's with a humanoid nanomachine body. The fact that they're female is because ships are referred to with feminine pronouns pretty much the world over. That's literally the answer they gave in-universe, and it wasn't really discussed past that. :shrug:

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Rorac posted:

I actually decided to give the anime a look over. It wasn't terrible, somewhat fan-servicy though.

The whole thing is that they're more like sentient AI's with a humanoid nanomachine body. The fact that they're female is because ships are referred to with feminine pronouns pretty much the world over. That's literally the answer they gave in-universe, and it wasn't really discussed past that. :shrug:

If you even somewhat enjoyed it, I'd actually suggest checking out the original manga (which is still ongoing). Far less fanservice, significantly more complex storyline, and significantly DIFFERENT storyline. Anime massively diverges around mid-series or so to do its own thing.

And I've actually mentioned that before, that the Mental Models are effectively just the same thing as Rommie in Andromeda, to reference a western work that uses similar ideas.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

Lord Koth posted:

The only difference between the ARP ships and the normal top hulls is the lack of camo. Which is unfortunate, but I generally don't use camo on a Kongo anyways. Any artillery rating difference would be caused by captains and/or modules you have installed.

Whoops! I thought it'd be only natural for all the sister ships to have some slight tradeoffs between them, like one ship sacrificing some secondaries for slightly better maneuverability or the like. Having four Kongous that are actually exactly the same all across the board is slightly less interesting, but at least it's free ship slots!

Lord Koth posted:

And the odds of the first two ever being available again are low. Very low.

edit: Also looking through the files, as well as the other non-NA servers, looks like the final two ARP ships, at least for the moment, are going to be Hiei(so you can be the proud owner of all four Kongos!) and the Myoko-class Haguro.

And on something of a side note, the Kongo in-game, whether ARP or normal, is actually Hiei.

This part of the post though, was significantly rougher than the rest; You're not only telling me that my anime ship dreams may never come true, but also that my real ship life has been a lie up to this point... ouch.

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

So why are there 4 identical ships, and why does the show which takes place in the future feature IJN ships that were all destroyed during or after the war which ended in 1945? Is this more "Space Battleship Yamato" style "we must revisit our nationalist weapons but this time its ok because theyre good guys now!" ego boosting for Japanese young men?

I guess I could probably find out by reading the wiki.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Raw_Beef posted:

"we must revisit our nationalist weapons but this time its ok because theyre good guys now!" ego boosting for Japanese young men?

Yes, but add if in a dash of refusing to acknowledge that Japan ever did anything wrong.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

AfroSquirrel posted:

Yes, but add if in a dash of refusing to acknowledge that Japan ever did anything wrong.

It's everyone else's fault for having their land on the natural resources Japan needs. Their needs override trivial matters like soverignty because their living god said it was okay.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Nice strawman you all have there. Sure, if you actually glanced through it you'd notice there's basically no "Ra, ra, Japan!" whatsoever, and in point of fact the JSDF(mainly the Army portion, as remaining portions of the Naval portion are currently in hidden docks doing nothing) has been portrayed as total assholes, so far only managing to kill a civilian and attempting to kill a bunch of people that have so far only helped Japan, but let's just beat that strawman.

Super-advanced AI superficially resembling basically every WW2-era ship kicked humanity out of the oceans for currently unknown reasons. Why they then stopped instead of just obliterating humanity is also currently unknown, but for the moment they're just maintaining a total blockade of the oceans. Aside from large portions of the IJN fleet, Repulse, Vampire, Bismarck, and recently a large US fleet under Lexington and New Jersey have appeared. Several others, such as Hood and Prince of Wales have been mentioned.

edit: It's actually somewhat interesting even if you have no interest in the ships whatsoever simply for reasonably realistically portraying the geopolitical effects of the oceans of the world(and their airspace) being completely closed. Island nations such as the UK and Japan are extremely hosed, Europe has descended into another war in a fight over resources, and the Americas are sitting reasonably pretty.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jun 12, 2016

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Raw_Beef posted:

So why are there 4 identical ships, and why does the show which takes place in the future feature IJN ships that were all destroyed during or after the war which ended in 1945? Is this more "Space Battleship Yamato" style "we must revisit our nationalist weapons but this time its ok because theyre good guys now!" ego boosting for Japanese young men?

I guess I could probably find out by reading the wiki.

For the 4 identical ships, it's because historically there were 4 Kongo class battleships built.

It's also not so much "our nationalist weapons are good guys now" because the Yamato is like the head bad guy (at least in the manga).

They could also do other nation's ships but they would have to use the manga and not the anime as the source material because the only non-Japanese ship to make an appearance in the anime is an unnamed Fletcher that makes a brief cameo at some point.

It's still anime though so don't think too hard about it.

JCFalkenberg
Jul 7, 2008
Anime may belong in the trash, but the kongo is still a loving fantastic ship:

seems reason enough to switch ports and get free ships to me.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

I hate being chat banned in ranked... there are so many people I need to tell to uninstall the game.

Also, I don't think it's going to be possible for me to hit rank 1. Right now there are still no rank 5+ games. I still need to win 43 games (minimum).

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Speaking of anime:

:yikes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

Obviously he means pay taxes, work a job you hate and pay a mortgage.