Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
I wish mussulmen was still the nomenclature tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I like the idea of immigration officials checking over Facebook pages for every applicant.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7F8zCQ4YnZ8

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

quote:

Then surely, thy Lord — to those who do evil in ignorance and repent thereafter and make amends — aye, surely, after that thy Lord is Most Forgiving, Merciful. (Qu'ran 16:120) User loses posting privileges for 6 hours.

I think we can now consider Homework Explainer's tenure as an IK to be a success.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I like the idea of immigration officials checking over Facebook pages for every applicant.

I remember this being the FNC paranoia of the day a few months ago.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

The Saurus posted:

I don't dislike Mexicans because they took my job, it's because there's a Mexican 3000 miles away trying to seduce my wife over Facebook and he keeps sending disgusting tamarindo candies through the post to tempt her.

oh my god lmao

Dogstoyevsky
Oct 9, 2012

If there is no Dog, everything is permitted

shiksa posted:

I wish mussulmen was still the nomenclature tbh

Still is in France.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

uncurable mlady posted:

what if we reevaluated the policies and actions that have lead to the rise of radical ideologies and the disaffection of young men in the US that leads them towards these? we should seriously consider stronger tactics towards infiltrating, identifying, and disrupting their online communications.

and once we've shut down /pol/ and the alt-right we can go after ISIL
Once we deprive radical recruiters of their rare pepes and dat bois, they shall be powerless to recruit impressionable young memers to their shadowy causes.

To seriouspost, though, I've always wondered why people who try to make 4chan stop being racist or misogynist or whatever try to do it by trying to out-shitpost the shitposting kings instead of, you know, outing the site to news authorities and putting pressure on the site owner to make changes. I wasn't here for the Reddit thing SA did, but I'm sure whoever was involved in those didn't waste their time pissing off losers on r/childfuckers, but was telling CNN about how Reddit site owners let r/childfuckers exist for years.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

CalvinCoolidge posted:

Just look at their facebook page. They usually self-identify since their culture puts a bigger emphasis on religion than most.

he is not pakistani

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Irony Be My Shield posted:

they have already done this in the past. there's one incident of a german-palestinian woman who had "suspicious" books on her amazon wish list.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Darkman Fanpage posted:

oh so it was the plan of the parents all along? wow a super clever terrorist plot 30 years in the making.

If his parents weren't allowed to come here this wouldn't have happened. This is indisputable.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

SunAndSpring posted:

Once we deprive radical recruiters of their rare pepes and dat bois, they shall be powerless to recruit impressionable young memers to their shadowy causes.

To seriouspost, though, I've always wondered why people who try to make 4chan stop being racist or misogynist or whatever try to do it by trying to out-shitpost the shitposting kings instead of, you know, outing the site to news authorities and putting pressure on the site owner to make changes. I wasn't here for the Reddit thing SA did, but I'm sure whoever was involved in those didn't waste their time pissing off losers on r/childfuckers, but was telling CNN about how Reddit site owners let r/childfuckers exist for years.

ahem, it was r/teenfuckers, they were ephebophiles, not pedophiles, get your facts straight :rolleyes:

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
i see this is where my daily routine of posting "hail satan" to facebook over my morning coffee and granola comes back to bite me in the rear end

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

he is not pakistani

And it doesn't even say "captivatingly".

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

a cop posted:

If his parents weren't allowed to come here this wouldn't have happened. This is indisputable.

So where are your precogs to make this policy happen

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

trying to cast islam and the ME as some sinister other to mighty western culture would be more credible if western culture didn't claim to start with the greeks, romans and jews

the neopagan white nationalists who go on about nordic bullshit are basically the only honest ones

Dogstoyevsky
Oct 9, 2012

If there is no Dog, everything is permitted

a cop posted:

Just until we figure out what's going on.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

StandardVC10 posted:

So where are your precogs to make this policy happen

The point is that implementing that policy now would stow future attacks.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

a cop posted:

you think we'll still have this problem in 30 years?

drat, that's a depressing worldview

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

a cop posted:

I know, american culture is the worst.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

he is not pakistani

maybe he just wants to come from a more glamorous place. like how i live in northern virginia, but i still tell people i live "near dc."

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

What's up goons. Suspicious packages coming through the post. Wife has aphrodisiac love of citrus, now wolf whistling when the mailman comes. Advice?

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

a cop posted:

Let's play this out then.

1. A permanent ban (not "temporary until we figure this out") would stop some extra attacks 20+ years from now (but not from the tiny percentage of millions of Muslims citizens already here).

2. Attacks will continue to occur as fanatical Muslim Americans still have access to guns built to kill whole lots of people in a short period of time.

3. Something else needs to go into effect to stop these attacks.

So what's the "something else" that Trump can put into effect over the next 4-8 years to "get tough"? Somehow, I don't see calling it "radical Islam" will reduce the number of attacks.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
bearing in mind that a year ago the hot new existential threat to western civilization was ginger losers slithering off to Syria in the name of global jihad, I think it's clear that self radicalization crosses ethnic lines and that we need to sterilize everyone to prevent the next generation of fundamentalist spree-shooters

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
I'm running for president on the Stupid Animal Terror ticket. our mascot is a coyote gnawing its own leg off

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
If we reacted to the panic from thirty years ago similarly we wouldn't have the children of... dnd players to terrorize... hm nevermind

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

a cop posted:

Where do you think his family came from?

all that matters is that in trump's america is where they'd be going, which is to say a torture prison or the grave.

that's an actual policy position remember, that couple on the news saying their son is hosed up? those are the ones we'd kill or torture, just fyi

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

a cop posted:

This was absolutely an attack by ISIS - an organization that is absolutely a State and absolutely based on a version of Islam.

The attack was conducted by an advanced autonomous weapons system of narrow and limited efficacy, but that casts a very broad net.

These attacks are important to ISIS because they provide it with the legitimacy that is inherent in international operations. Global brand visibility and keeping the terror level in general ratcheted up.

The weapon here is the slick and comprehensive ISIS web presence- like any scalable web app, it uses relatively few resources to work on a global scale - "lone gunman" attacks don't do a whole lot for ISIS holding territory or defeating armies in the field, but they were achieved without much effort - some of these people are entirely self-radicalizing via YouTube videos and stuff where you don't even need direct lines of communication. A negligible-effort, moderate-reward approach at web scale is actually a pretty big deal - so long as there is some reward, the low effort (scalability) is what is most important.

America is a society where the unstable lower classes are pretty well kept under control - we are not likely to see broad-based and organized insurrection under present circumstances. However, the atomized and alienated nature of middle-class America produces small pockets (pockets of even just 1, or 1 and an easily-influenced sidekick) of people who are susceptible to various forms of incitement to commit these violent acts. This incitement can take many forms, be it a self-generated manifesto, or whipping yourself into a frenzy in a malignant echo chamber like Stormfront, or a targeted (towards a sub-demographic of "lone nuts", like a race or religion) campaign from an outside source.

ISIS provides essentially a DIY Jihad kit to lone nuts who are already Muslim or otherwise want to buy into this. Unlike Stormfront etc. (see Dylann Roof complaining about how no one was doing more than talking), ISIS offers a fully prepackaged ideology, an established track record of in-person actions worldwide, and piggybacks on the legitimacy of an existing brand (Islam). The advance here is that the barriers to entry are being effectively lowered at the same time as the positive incitement to violence is being pushed.

The slick, comprehensive, and legitimate-seeming multimedia and social media campaign provides ISIS with a large-scale, low-effort weapon that effectively targets a subset of America's pre-existing stock of potential "lone nuts", for the purpose of encouraging terror, and legitimizing the ISIS brand. The means that they use to inspire these attacks without direct communications do not imply that there is no legitimate link back to ISIS, but instead reveal a sophisticated and largely automated social-engineering weapon.

You can't just throw all the Muslims out of the country because a certain subset of them are being effectively targeted by a weapon designed to do so. Self-radicalization toolkits have been refined and weaponized and who knows who will use the tactic next. What subsets of extremist lone-nut malcontents are out there, and who is legitimizing their beliefs in other contexts?

edit: The ISIS web-weapon is basically Uber for extremism. It "doesn't actually do anything directly" except drastically lowering the barriers to entry and spreading the idea to billions of people. Doesn't do anything except everything.

shovelbum fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jun 12, 2016

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

a cop posted:

Not really, no. There are plenty of homegrown losers and psychos willing to kill lots of people to get their posthumous 15 minutes of fame, and if someone from outside the country is determined to get here a temporary visa for work or tourism is far easier to get than residency.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
So is Trump gonna double down tomorrow on his calls for Obama to vacate his office and Hillary to drop out of the race entirely?

Cause holey moley that'll make Romney's Ben Ghazi response look measured and respectful in comparison, at least let the bodies cool first

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

apparently the dude who was going to attack the LA pride was white

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

shovelbum posted:

This was absolutely an attack by ISIS - an organization that is absolutely a State and absolutely based on a version of Islam.

The attack was conducted by an advanced autonomous weapons system of narrow and limited efficacy, but that casts a very broad net.

These attacks are important to ISIS because they provide it with the legitimacy that is inherent in international operations. Global brand visibility and keeping the terror level in general ratcheted up.

The weapon here is the slick and comprehensive ISIS web presence- like any scalable web app, it uses relatively few resources to work on a global scale - "lone gunman" attacks don't do a whole lot for ISIS holding territory or defeating armies in the field, but they were achieved without much effort - some of these people are entirely self-radicalizing via YouTube videos and stuff where you don't even need direct lines of communication. A negligible-effort, moderate-reward approach at web scale is actually a pretty big deal - so long as there is some reward, the low effort (scalability) is what is most important.

America is a society where the unstable lower classes are pretty well kept under control - we are not likely to see broad-based and organized insurrection under present circumstances. However, the atomized and alienated nature of middle-class America produces small pockets (pockets of even just 1, or 1 and an easily-influenced sidekick) of people who are susceptible to various forms of incitement to commit these violent acts. This incitement can take many forms, be it a self-generated manifesto, or whipping yourself into a frenzy in a malignant echo chamber like Stormfront, or a targeted (towards a sub-demographic of "lone nuts", like a race or religion) campaign from an outside source.

ISIS provides essentially a DIY Jihad kit to lone nuts who are already Muslim or otherwise want to buy into this. Unlike Stormfront etc. (see Dylann Roof complaining about how no one was doing more than talking), ISIS offers a fully prepackaged ideology, an established track record of in-person actions worldwide, and piggybacks on the legitimacy of an existing brand (Islam). The advance here is that the barriers to entry are being effectively lowered at the same time as the positive incitement to violence is being pushed.

The slick, comprehensive, and legitimate-seeming multimedia and social media campaign provides ISIS with a large-scale, low-effort weapon that effectively targets a subset of America's pre-existing stock of potential "lone nuts", for the purpose of encouraging terror, and legitimizing the ISIS brand. The means that they use to inspire these attacks without direct communications do not imply that there is no legitimate link back to ISIS, but instead reveal a sophisticated and largely automated social-engineering weapon.

You can't just throw all the Muslims out of the country because a certain subset of them are being effectively targeted by a weapon designed to do so. Self-radicalization toolkits have been refined and weaponized and who knows who will use the tactic next. What subsets of extremist lone-nut malcontents are out there, and who is legitimizing their beliefs in other contexts?

edit: The ISIS web-weapon is basically Uber for extremism. It "doesn't actually do anything directly" except drastically lowering the barriers to entry and spreading the idea to billions of people. Doesn't do anything except everything.

Great, we're talking about ISIS "branding" now. Marketing gurus are going to kill us all.

(Earlier responses to your posts were serious. This one is not.)

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

A white Muslim??

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

yeah but was he wearing a MAGA hat

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Zas posted:

all that matters is that in trump's america is where they'd be going, which is to say a torture prison or the grave.

that's an actual policy position remember, that couple on the news saying their son is hosed up? those are the ones we'd kill or torture, just fyi

Also I imagine they had a plausible case for refugee status back when, seeing as how the dad was vaguely involved in Afghan politics.

Not that Trump would care about refugee treaties if he knew what they were, and I'm not sure he knows what they are.

Edit: also, good post, shovelbum.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jun 12, 2016

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

The Saurus posted:

I don't dislike Mexicans because they took my job, it's because there's a Mexican 3000 miles away trying to seduce my wife over Facebook and he keeps sending disgusting tamarindo candies through the post to tempt her.

did he meet her on a Chris-chan website too

The Saurus is going to soon discover that his wife has been havin emotional affairs with Chris chan mockers from across the globe

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

TheTatteredKing posted:

Nml was just cribbing someone else's style, he really is worthless

When NML sends his iterations, he's not sending his best. He's not sending you. He's not sending you. He's sending iterations that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re NML2. They’re NML3. They’re NML4. And some, I assume, are good iterations.

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Edit: also, good post, shovelbum.

:agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

seriously I hope once the tragedy is less fresh at some point we get back to talking about venge killings against terrorist's families because that was always one of the more interesting/horrifying aspects of trump's anti-terror platform and it seems like people have forgotten about it

• Locked thread