Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

reaper being the gay one would the most perfect, beautiful thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

Squinty posted:

It's a legit issue because it makes the matchmaking more volatile. If I play nothing but Bastion 24/7 and Blizzard rates me as a 50 or whatever, that's probably averaging a lot of 75 rated games where I'm on D and a lot of 25 rated games where I'm on O. So if it matches me with other 50 rated players those games are going to be imbalanced every time. It's probably why the games feel so one sided a lot of the time.

Attack and Defense are lopsided, though. That's why you see a team swap immediately afterwards - if one team is better on Attack and way worse on Defense, then over the course of the two matches it's 50/50. But if you leave after getting stomped on Attack, it doesn't seem that way!

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

Kerrrrrrr posted:

Mercy: What happened to your face?
Reaper: I'll tell you; dick.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Kerrrrrrr posted:

I think making the guy dying from a degenerative disease also gay would be a step too far even for Blizzard.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

a cat on an apple posted:

Attack and Defense are lopsided, though. That's why you see a team swap immediately afterwards - if one team is better on Attack and way worse on Defense, then over the course of the two matches it's 50/50. But if you leave after getting stomped on Attack, it doesn't seem that way!

I end up playing like 75% of A/D maps on Attack and the entire Defend team always ends up leaving so the instance closes :(

I just want to play Defense for once god damnit

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Verranicus posted:

So there are so problems that are essentially choking the life out of the game. A few of them are small problems which happen in every shooter like prevalent aim bots, and balancing issues. However there is one large problem that overshadows all of these and it's a community problem. During the beta there was a worry about what to do about people who ditch, fortunately this was solved with punishments. But nothing was done about people who do not switch. It wasn't really a problem in the beta because for the most part beta users were rational adults. Post launch the issue of people playing "mains" has become a literal disease in the community that is spreading and squeezing the life out of the game.

I don't lose games to bad players and i don't win games because of good plays. I win when my team switches and theirs doesn't and i lose when my team refuses and theirs adapts. You can be the best junkrat on earth but if their team is mostly pharah you are mostly dead weight, and there are hundreds of examples of this.

Point being there is little reason to play overwatch without a premade at the moment, and pugging is simply pointless. We need a kick system or a punishment mechanic for people who do not switch. Because they do so much more damage to their own team compared to the people who ditch.

The people who ditch are a minor inconvenience they are quickly replaced and the game goes on. The people who refuse to switch are a anchor around your neck that will all but guarantee your defeat unless their team is also made of such players at which point its just down to luck and hopefully your teams favorite characters counter their teams favorite characters.

Now you can try to explain to them that this is not call of duty or league of legions you do not use just your "favorite loadout" or "main character". But they don't care they are here to intentionally or mindlessly grief.

There are a few solutions to this that would help improve the game on a massive level. Option 1. A kick vote feature that bans the player from the lobby. Option 2. an auto kick/ban that removes people who are doing poorly and do not switch (possibly the game could prompt them to do so before kicking). Option 3. A que for those who do switch that bans those who refuse to (this could be made into the new ranked mode which would be interesting).

Of course these aren't the only solutions and perhaps there are better ones out there. However if nothing is done about this people are just going to lose interest in Overwatch because simply put you can't play Overwatch when a good 1-4 people on your team are not remotely interested in participating in it.

This copypasta is dumb, but he sort of as a point. Playing a game outside of a stack is miserable. I don't think there's anything Blizzard can do about it short of giving whoever has the highest MMR on the team control over hero picks, but that's obviously not going to happen.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

fadam posted:

This copypasta is dumb, but he sort of as a point. Playing a game outside of a stack is miserable. I don't think there's anything Blizzard can do about it short of giving whoever has the highest MMR on the team control over hero picks, but that's obviously not going to happen.

Solution: play in a stack

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Has there ever been a team-based game in the history of online team-based games that wasn't less fun to play with a bunch of random strangers as it was with an even halfway organized group of acquaintances?

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Verranicus posted:

Of course these aren't the only solutions and perhaps there are better ones out there. However if nothing is done about this people are just going to lose interest in Overwatch because simply put you can't play Overwatch when a good 1-4 people on your team are not remotely interested in participating in it.

Please tell me how I need to play the game so you enjoy it more.

Or maybe switch yourself?!

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Ddraig posted:

I think making the guy dying from a degenerative disease also gay would be a step too far even for Blizzard.

That thought had not occurred to me but yeah, that's a good point.

Really if they're looking to make this some big impact announcement it will probably be Tracer considering she is the mascot and all.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Kai Tave posted:

Has there ever been a team-based game in the history of online team-based games that wasn't less fun to play with a bunch of random strangers as it was with an even halfway organized group of acquaintances?

CSGO isn't great while solo queuing, but its a lot more tolerable than OW is. Same with games like UT, Quake, CoD, etc.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

fadam posted:

I have fun playing outside a stack. It's actually kinda for the exact thing he's complaining about in that post, I don't feel any pressure to do anything other than gently caress around and have fun with whatever class I feel like playing.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Are any of the above classes especially worth playing in specific situations? I'm pretty happy not playing them right now but if there's a real good niche for them that'd make me want them it'd be nice to know.

sex idiot
Apr 25, 2016

fadam posted:

CSGO isn't great while solo queuing, but its a lot more tolerable than OW is. Same with games like UT, Quake, CoD, etc.

those are team deathmatch, or just straight up deathmatch, and noone cares if your team wins or loses in team deathmatch games all that matters is that your name is at the top of the scoreboard

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

chumbler posted:

That thought had not occurred to me but yeah, that's a good point.

Really if they're looking to make this some big impact announcement it will probably be Tracer considering she is the mascot and all.

Tracer is too boring, it's a step above making Zarya the gay character.

Lately I've been handing Anubis and Hanamura the following way: NEVER STOP RUSHING DOWN poo poo

Sometimes I win in 2min, sometimes it's the same ol' suffering as always, but letting the defense set up is a terrible idea and I hope people figure that out eventually.

The RECAPITATOR
May 12, 2006

Cursed to like terrible teams.
It's just one of those days where the system decides gently caress YOU.
I'm the level 59.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Higsian posted:

Are any of the above classes especially worth playing in specific situations? I'm pretty happy not playing them right now but if there's a real good niche for them that'd make me want them it'd be nice to know.

Tracer and Genji are dope flankers, Tracer is a McCree removed from being OP. Otherwise all those guys are fun but overshadowed by other classes. Mei is obnoxious as gently caress on last point defense, D.Va is a weird tank/flanker combo.

sex idiot
Apr 25, 2016

if you haven't killed a bastion with genji's deflect yet you haven't played overwatch

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Higsian posted:

Zenyatta is good at ripping through a tank heavy team that is trying to push through a point, he can't solo support though.
Tracer is... really good at lots of stuff in the hands of the right player. Probably the strongest of this group.
Genji is another flanker similar to Tracer who can get behind enemy lines and mow down priority targets like Mercy + Widow.
Mei is sort of an anti-flanker, use her ice wall to block off enemies and her freeze gun to stop speedy guys like Genji + Tracer.
Hanzo is just a regular old sniper, spam arrows and shoot the big dumb dragon.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Higsian posted:

Tracer is a god in koth maps. I'd only pick Zenyatta specifically if the enemy team had like 3 tanks, my current team already has a main healer, and already has a Reaper. Play Genji if you can reach his incredibly high skill cap or otherwise just don't bother. The rest don't do anything another character doesn't do better.

sex idiot
Apr 25, 2016

this achievement refuses to unlock for me? I've done it bunches

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Someone should put Overwatch faces over these characters and change their voices to be about Overwatch stuff and you have a pretty good video summarizing why playing with pubs is bad https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEInZnbXHCE.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Why is there no team death match for ow?

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

flashman posted:

Why is there no team death match for ow?

there is, try the Quick Play option

Sivlan
Aug 29, 2006
Been really digging Widow on attack the past few days.

Normally I avoid playing snipers because they don't feel helpful for the team but on attack maps she's very good at dismantling the enemy static defenses: bastions, torbs, and comedy symmetra turret sniping. In goonstacks where people bother to group up and constantly pressure the defense, I'm able to do turret and bastion sniping plus counter sniping their Hanzo (its almost never a window, I dunno why, though I am on PS4) generally without response because they're too busy trying to keep the other 5 players from pushing through their very weakened line.

Plus infravision is so good and comes up very quickly so you really can conceivably grant wallhack to your team the majority of the game.

[PSN DaftDeft, add me for OW fun]

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Prav posted:

there is, try the Quick Play option

Legit I treat it as such if the mood strikes. I would choose the tdm mode however if it were available instead.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

sex idiot posted:

this achievement refuses to unlock for me? I've done it bunches

It's bugged. It's the only achievement that you cannot get right now.

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon

Higsian posted:

All of them, the least useful on that list in Zenyatta and he is still pretty good and strong as long as you don't think of him as a proper healer like Lucio. He can do a TON of damage and improve your buddies damage if they're are good at aiming. He dies to a single bodyshot from a Widow so don't ever pick him if a decent Widow is in game.

Tracer can be useful as a flanker, but where she really shines is getting to points ASAP and being an annoying little rear end in a top hat dancing around while your team comes in. Most useful on KotH maps of defense on Kings Row if the cart is right next to the end.

Genji can and can't be an amazing hero depending on the situation, he can poop out a TON of damage on a single target quickly with his combo of M2+Melee+Dash but he needs to be point blank to do it. His mobility lets him get around to do this better than Reaper on attack, but his ulty builds slower and M1ing people for ult charge will usually give away your position so you have to make a lot of judgement calls. He is probably the hardest hero in the game to learn and master.

Hanzo is referred to as a lesser Widowmaker and sometimes this is true, however one some payload maps there are sections where arrow spam and his ulty are WAY better than a Widow. He's also easier to land jump shots with than Widow.

Mei is a fairly situational hero that REALLY shines when it's her time. She's typically good vs heroes that want to be next to your team as she has many super annoying crowd control abilitys to mess with them. Getting good at hitting with her M2 also helps you build tons of ulty for when the enemy tries to push.

D.Va is a super annoying hero that is very good vs other tanks and less mobile targets but gets eaten alive vs most things with good damage. She decently soft-counters snipers but she's really mostly good and being a dick to Reinhearts and Winstons.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I've been playing a more aggressive Mercy in the Mystery Heroes brawl and it's been fairly effective. Last night on Lijang tower, I forced a Zarya I was harassing to blow her ult on me. But I finished her off before she could do anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCRnJLZW_Go

This is great and it saddens me that it probably only gave you POTG because you also pressed Q. Someday I am going to get POTG and it is just going to be me pistolwhipping a bunch of motherfuckers to death after my teammates did all the work. Can you headshot with her gun?

Speaking of Q I think ultimates are a liquified rear end smoothie of game design and turn the game into more of a MOBA instead of the shooter I was hoping for

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I think you'll find that ultimates, actually, are fun and perfectly belong in the FPS "Overwatch."

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Powerful moves that build up over time and then let you kick rear end have been cool since the very first super move was put in a fighting game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Me pressing Q: Incredibly strategic decision, saved the game, super intelligent use of skill.
Other people pressing Q: Loser casual idiot, IWIN button gently caress you Blizzard.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Me pressing Q: Incredibly strategic decision, saved the game, super intelligent use of skill.
Other people pressing Q: Loser casual idiot, IWIN button gently caress you Blizzard.

that's weird, when i press q i usually gently caress it up

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
i mean the potg system is borked

i got two today one for killing two people with deadeye and then unloading a fan the hammer into a rein shield and another for bodyshotting a mccree that walked in my direction at the start of a round and then a stationary mercy

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Slime posted:

Shift: Swear at your kitchen staff.
E: Idiot Sandwich.

E - Olive Oil Flambe (Jamie Oliver uses way too much olive oil)

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Ultimates are no fun whether it's me using them or anyone else. When anything you were doing or any plans you had get instantly shut down because another player had an uncontrollable and unpredictable advantage at the time, it feels like bullshit and like your performance doesn't mean anything until the ultimates are out of the way again when you can start actually playing again. When you press Q, nothing about what happens is satisfying because you know you just bullshitted them. Nice ambush, it's too bad I've Got You In My Sights so you lose, along with any of your teammates who made the mistake of existing nearby. Let me know when you're back from your spawn room and we can have an actual fight next time. Or maybe you'll have your instakill bomb by then so I'll lose that one.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

The PotG system is bad but who cares it's more fun to laugh at how lovely it is than it would be to watch it actually work properly.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Digirat posted:

Ultimates are no fun whether it's me using them or anyone else. When anything you were doing or any plans you had get instantly shut down because another player had an uncontrollable and unpredictable advantage at the time, it feels like bullshit and like your performance doesn't mean anything until the ultimates are out of the way again when you can start actually playing again. When you press Q, nothing about what happens is satisfying because you know you just bullshitted them. Nice ambush, it's too bad I've Got You In My Sights so you lose, along with any of your teammates who made the mistake of existing nearby. Let me know when you're back from your spawn room and we can have an actual fight next time. Or maybe you'll have your instakill bomb by then so I'll lose that one.

Alright so there is literally no difference between an Overwatch thread and an Overwatch whining thread

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I saw a stream where the POTG was symmetra lying dead on the ground for 8 seconds, then 2 seconds of her running out of the spawn room. No eliminations from turrets or anything. Funniest one I've seen yet and I don't know if it will be topped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Digirat posted:

1. They're literally the exact opposite of "uncontrollable and unpredictable"
2. If you're ambushing Soldier 76 and he's killing you by popping his ulti, you're doing something wrong.
3. Landing the power ultimates like rez and black hole is incredibly satisfying.
4. Feel free to play a different game.