Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Pretty much every ultimate can be blocked, canceled or avoided in some way, and in fact coordinating ults among team members and knowing who on the opposing team have their own ults up is an important element to the overall strategy of winning the game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The only uncool ult is Widow's because it charges too fast and lasts too long and there is no indication of when it is active other than getting head shot more than usual, and those are pretty easy things to fix.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I think Mercy's charges a little too fast, and Widow's needs something to make it more obvious when its active, and Zenyatta's could probably use something to make it more spicy but idk what.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I am pretty sure I have whiffed far more ults than I've managed to use to cheat someone out of their hard earned honorable victory, because ults are actually extremely easy to predict and counter and learning when and how to use them properly is something that takes actual skill instead of the hot "press Q for PotG" meme.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Oh wait poo poo, is this another one of those "pull a quote from the Blizzard forums" without attribution things, I never know.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

That post seems consistent in tone and quality with the rest of his post history so I think we're in the clear boys.

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

chumbler posted:

The only uncool ult is Widow's because it charges too fast and lasts too long and there is no indication of when it is active other than getting head shot more than usual, and those are pretty easy things to fix.

Widow mumbles something in french when she turns it on but it is pretty hard to hear, and the volume seems to fall off even more dramatically with range. I'm guessing their thought was it's less important to hear about than the other ults that will immediately kill you, but yeah it could use a more significant callout. I hate when I get instagibbed on rounding a corner and discover that the enemy had Widow-sight when it does the replay.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Reaper's ultimate is the one that bugs me just because it's usually too late to do anything about it if they're using it right

The rest of them are pretty easy to deal with once you hear the callout

TheVekter
Sep 29, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

fadam posted:

I think Mercy's charges a little too fast, and Widow's needs something to make it more obvious when its active, and Zenyatta's could probably use something to make it more spicy but idk what.

Mercy's charging fast has a lot to do with if you're attacking who she's healing, so at the end of the day the real key is just to kill her before she can ult anyway. Widow's isn't that big of a game changer compared to the other ults, plus she's a sniper. No reason she'd scream out PERSONNE N'ÉCHAPPE À MON REGARD where everyone can hear her.

Also yeah maybe? Running around as an ulted Zen kinda sucks but it's a HUGE game changer when used right, basically telling that Reaper and Soldier: 76 to gently caress off by pressing Q

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

Reaper's ultimate is the one that bugs me just because it's usually too late to do anything about it if they're using it right

The rest of them are pretty easy to deal with once you hear the callout

It's pretty easy to tell when a Reaper is going to go for it though.

TheVekter posted:

Mercy's charging fast has a lot to do with if you're attacking who she's healing, so at the end of the day the real key is just to kill her before she can ult anyway. Widow's isn't that big of a game changer compared to the other ults, plus she's a sniper. No reason she'd scream out PERSONNE N'ÉCHAPPE À MON REGARD where everyone can hear her.

Also yeah maybe? Running around as an ulted Zen kinda sucks but it's a HUGE game changer when used right, basically telling that Reaper and Soldier: 76 to gently caress off by pressing Q

There's enough incidental damage being thrown around that it's not hard for a Mercy to get an ulti with no commitment at all, and it's significantly harder to track her down and kill her than it is to defend her in organized games. I don't think it should be completely neutered or anything, but right now it feels like Mercy can have one on deck for every major team fight and that's kind of annoying.

As for Widow, I don't really care if it's lore appropriate or whatever, it just makes no sense that one of the higher impact ultis in the game doesn't have a loud callout when every other ulti does.

fadam fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jun 12, 2016

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I mean to be fair I totally understand how frustrating it can be to push on the objective thinking "okay we have a plan and everyone's grouped up go go go" and then their Mercy rezzes everyone you killed and their Reaper drops behind you and death blossoms everyone back to spawn, but it isn't like it'd be any less frustrating for you to have a plan, push up, and get caught by a Junkrat trap before Reaper drops behind you and shoots everyone the old fashioned way while their Lucio undoes all the damage you managed to deal. If anything I'd say ults are far from most characters' most important abilities in a lot of cases. Like what's more powerful really, Tracer's ultimate or her ability to recall out of danger?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
So is there a glitch on Ilios Lighthouse where you can leave the spawn early on the right as Reaper?

TheVekter
Sep 29, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Kai Tave posted:

I mean to be fair I totally understand how frustrating it can be to push on the objective thinking "okay we have a plan and everyone's grouped up go go go" and then their Mercy rezzes everyone you killed and their Reaper drops behind you and death blossoms everyone back to spawn, but it isn't like it'd be any less frustrating for you to have a plan, push up, and get caught by a Junkrat trap before Reaper drops behind you and shoots everyone the old fashioned way while their Lucio undoes all the damage you managed to deal. If anything I'd say ults are far from most characters' most important abilities in a lot of cases. Like what's more powerful really, Tracer's ultimate or her ability to recall out of danger?

You have to play reactively. Hold your ults, let them be stupid and pop them, oh look Mercy ulted 4 guys back up? HAMMER DOWN CLEARING THE AREA TARGET RICH ENVIRONMENT etc.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

TheVekter posted:

You have to play reactively. Hold your ults, let them be stupid and pop them, oh look Mercy ulted 4 guys back up? HAMMER DOWN CLEARING THE AREA TARGET RICH ENVIRONMENT etc.

Well yeah, that's the thing. Knowing when and how to use your ults is something that takes practice just like knowing when and how to use any other of your characters' abilities. Some ults are more game-changing than others, I agree, but it's just something you have to learn how to deal with and coordinate with your own team.

Conversely, it's also good advice to not hold onto your ult waiting for the best possible moment to use it, especially if it's one you can get back quickly enough. If your tank dies on his own during a payload push and you have a Mercy rez, it might be worth bringing him back to life to keep the other team from capitalizing on his momentary absence.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Digirat posted:

Ultimates are no fun whether it's me using them or anyone else. When anything you were doing or any plans you had get instantly shut down because another player had an uncontrollable and unpredictable advantage at the time, it feels like bullshit and like your performance doesn't mean anything until the ultimates are out of the way again when you can start actually playing again. When you press Q, nothing about what happens is satisfying because you know you just bullshitted them. Nice ambush, it's too bad I've Got You In My Sights so you lose, along with any of your teammates who made the mistake of existing nearby. Let me know when you're back from your spawn room and we can have an actual fight next time. Or maybe you'll have your instakill bomb by then so I'll lose that one.

you forgot to source this

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Spanish Manlove posted:

Oh jeez lol I thought that was your own post, that's why you source your quotes.

"The world doesn't revolve around black people. The world would be better without people that think their skin color, sexuality or their ancestors past gives them privileges."

Hahhahaahahahahahahahha the world is scumfucked

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Countblanc posted:

link the pic your avatar is from please.

https://twitter.com/K_Duffles/status/738884629357154304

Fabricated posted:

The brawl is really fun because people have to adjust from using the same tired tactics over and over. Also it prevents retards from picking their "fav" hero no matter what.

If you are quick to join a server you can pick your favorite for the first life tho. Pick whatever character the first time and hope the server goes into "waiting for more players" mode, if it does then pick the character you want the second time round. If you have teammates who know of this trick you can have some fun starting compositions. They should probably fix it the next time this Brawl comes around, because three Symmetras on defense on Hanamura is no joke. It's pretty much GG once one of them gets a teleporter up.

TheVekter
Sep 29, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Digirat posted:

Ultimates are no fun whether it's me using them or anyone else. When anything you were doing or any plans you had get instantly shut down because another player had an uncontrollable and unpredictable advantage at the time, it feels like bullshit and like your performance doesn't mean anything until the ultimates are out of the way again when you can start actually playing again. When you press Q, nothing about what happens is satisfying because you know you just bullshitted them. Nice ambush, it's too bad I've Got You In My Sights so you lose, along with any of your teammates who made the mistake of existing nearby. Let me know when you're back from your spawn room and we can have an actual fight next time. Or maybe you'll have your instakill bomb by then so I'll lose that one.

Or, y'know, you could just play reactively and plan for poo poo like this, know to hide behind a wall if you hear HIGH NOON or IN MY SIGHTS etc. instead of being whiny about a core game mechanic.

Mierenneuker posted:

If you are quick to join a server you can pick your favorite for the first life tho. Pick a random character and hope the server goes into "waiting for more players" mode, then pick the character you want the second time. If you have teammates who know of this trick you can have some fun starting compositions. They should probably fix it the next time this Brawl comes around, because three Symmetras on defense on Hanamura is no joke. It's pretty much GG if one of them gets a teleporter up.

I get my free "stupid newbie" question, where do you get the SOLDIERS banner?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

So sick of losing to total scrublords because they hit their left-click button faster than me.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

TheVekter posted:

I get my free "stupid newbie" question, where do you get the SOLDIERS banner?

See the OP of the Overwatch Meimei thread in this same sub-forum. There is one for every character. Perhaps you will be the first to represent Hanzo's Hunks!

TheVekter
Sep 29, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Mierenneuker posted:

See the OP of the Overwatch Meimei thread in this same sub-forum. There is one for every character. Perhaps you will be the first to represent Hanzo's Hunks!

yeah, that'll happen. Thanks love :downs:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Minera fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jun 13, 2016

TheVekter
Sep 29, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

do people not realize you can get a free battletag change now

Somebody fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jun 13, 2016

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

oh my god

SaSUkeSwAg69

Somebody fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jun 13, 2016

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
A few days ago I played against someone going by XXCODGOD69XX, made all the funnier by the fact that he was actually pretty good.

TheVekter
Sep 29, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Kai Tave posted:

A few days ago I played against someone going by XXCODGOD69XX, made all the funnier by the fact that he was actually pretty good.

who did he play

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

TheVekter posted:

who did he play

Soldier 76

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I played against X2Easy4MeX once. He played Genji and was useless. Quite disappointing to be honest.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Digirat posted:

This is great and it saddens me that it probably only gave you POTG because you also pressed Q. Someday I am going to get POTG and it is just going to be me pistolwhipping a bunch of motherfuckers to death after my teammates did all the work. Can you headshot with her gun?

You can indeed headshot with Mercy's gun, which changes a 20 damage shot into a 40 damage shot. Since she can fire 5 times a second, that can be a lot of damage. I've instakilled at least two Reapers who tried teleporting onto the point within my sight.

TheVekter
Sep 29, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Kai Tave posted:

Soldier 76

of course he did :smug:

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'm so edgy that when I flashbang someone with McCree, I kill them with my primary fire!

Try playing with him without fanning, his gun is actually quite powerful if you can hit people. I stopped fanning people on principle when I play as him. Except Genjis and Tracers, gently caress those annoying flies!

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
I played with someone named XgoonXIllSwitchIfWereLosingX and he was torb on offense. We lost.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I mean anything with xX/420/69/aLtErNaTiNg CaPs is probably a joke

TheVekter
Sep 29, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

ItBurns posted:

I played with someone named XgoonXIllSwitchIfWereLosingX and he was torb on offense. We lost.

XgoonXIllSwitchIfWereLosingX posted:

It's just normals, I'll play whatever I want.
:goonsay:

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

DrSeRRoD posted:

It's bugged. It's the only achievement that you cannot get right now.

Did it recently break? I am almost positive I have it unlocked.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Ragequit posted:

Did it recently break? I am almost positive I have it unlocked.

It hasn't worked since stress test 2 at least.

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?
I have the achievement so it's not broken for everyone. Supposedly it's just broken for some unlucky people who can repeatedly meet the requirements without getting it.

Edit: Weird. I guess I don't have it. I swear I remember seeing the toast in game but it doesn't show up on my list.

Tiramisu fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jun 13, 2016

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Nehru the Damaja posted:

It hasn't worked since stress test 2 at least.

I just checked and I have shutout. I guess I am missing that one as well.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

fadam posted:

It's pretty easy to tell when a Reaper is going to go for it though.

There's enough incidental damage being thrown around that it's not hard for a Mercy to get an ulti with no commitment at all, and it's significantly harder to track her down and kill her than it is to defend her in organized games. I don't think it should be completely neutered or anything, but right now it feels like Mercy can have one on deck for every major team fight and that's kind of annoying.

As for Widow, I don't really care if it's lore appropriate or whatever, it just makes no sense that one of the higher impact ultis in the game doesn't have a loud callout when every other ulti does.

While Mercy's ult does charge fairly fast if she's actively healing damage, the real reason she always seems to have her ult up is because she can't be forced to waste it. Unlike most other ults, it goes off pretty much instantly, so you can't kill her after she uses it to interrupt her and waste her ult charge. It's outright impossible for her to use it if no one around her is dead, and when she has it charged she can see exactly how many people it'll revive, so she'll never waste it by using it at a time when it wouldn't do anything. The only way to prevent her from using it is to kill her before she uses it, but she'll still have full charge when she respawns, so you'll have to do it again in 20 seconds. It's pretty much inevitable that she'll have it available a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

While Mercy's ult does charge fairly fast if she's actively healing damage, the real reason she always seems to have her ult up is because she can't be forced to waste it. Unlike most other ults, it goes off pretty much instantly, so you can't kill her after she uses it to interrupt her and waste her ult charge. It's outright impossible for her to use it if no one around her is dead, and when she has it charged she can see exactly how many people it'll revive, so she'll never waste it by using it at a time when it wouldn't do anything. The only way to prevent her from using it is to kill her before she uses it, but she'll still have full charge when she respawns, so you'll have to do it again in 20 seconds. It's pretty much inevitable that she'll have it available a lot.

Her ultimate should take a couple of seconds to charge up like Lucio's before it goes off. Reviving your entire team is far more useful than an overshield that diminishes extremely fast. That or a reviving teammate shouldn't be invulnerable to damage as they come back up. You wouldn't believe how many times we've won because I stood behind a wall and revived a wiped team in a defense or attack. It's dumb.

Or even disallowing it to work through walls would help, I suppose.