Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Good lord goons are bad at this game. Source: I am a goon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Whoever described Junkrat as "chaos class" instead of "defense" is right on the money. Sometimes it's a blast to just loving go insane and run into the enemy group firing wildly cause a lot of times it catches them completely off gaurd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipo2uJsmuOc

I wish this POTG started a little later because I actually killed a few other guys after this ended in that little group after being rezzed

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Once you get a team kill as Junkrat you should just blow yourself up because there's no more fitting capper to the experience than that.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Jimbot posted:

For real, that skin is weird. I dig the warpaint but I don't think it's appropriate for an Egyptian to be wearing that sort of thing. Apparently it's just a mishmash of Native American and First Nations styles. Blizzard designers just thought it looked cool.

Edit: I'm not apposed to characters having unique skins like that, like a theme (Vikings, samurai, Native American, Roman, poo poo like that), but you know they only gave her that skin is because she has tan skin and could pass off as a Native American.

Literally the only thing that matters for a skin is if it looks cool.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Jimbot posted:

For real, that skin is weird. I dig the warpaint but I don't think it's appropriate for an Egyptian to be wearing that sort of thing. Apparently it's just a mishmash of Native American and First Nations styles. Blizzard designers just thought it looked cool.

Edit: I'm not apposed to characters having unique skins like that, like a theme (Vikings, samurai, Native American, Roman, poo poo like that), but you know they only gave her that skin is because she has tan skin and could pass off as a Native American.

It's not racist and it's not inappropriate. It says in the story that Vishkar is an Indian corporation.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Playing with a Steam Controller I just got two Plays Of The Game in a row as Junkrat. I don't know what this says about me, the character, or the opposing team but I'm considering never playing the game again because I don't want to ruin my streak.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011
Is there a way to report people for being bad at the game, and/or report yourself if you're on a bad streak?

This game would be much improved with a "Punish this player for being bad" mechanic.

TwoQuestions fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jun 13, 2016

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

ItBurns posted:

It's not racist and it's not inappropriate. It says in the story that Vishkar is an Indian corporation.

wait, what

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

ItBurns posted:

Pharah is Egyptian and isn't anything to do with Vishkar. Symmetra is Indian and works for Vishkar and gets a nice thematically appropriate Kali skin.

Also Indians from India are not actually native americans and vice versa.

schnickety scribe
Jul 5, 2015

TwoQuestions posted:

Is there a way to report people for being bad at the game, and/or report yourself if you're on a bad streak?

This game would be much improved with a "Punish this player for being bad" mechanic.

I wouldn't get to play much, seeing as I'm pretty terrible. (I only got the game yesterday; please don't hurt me. :ohdear: )

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

TwoQuestions posted:

So the person doing the reporting of a 'bad player' is automatically placed in low priority queue, or?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

ItBurns posted:

:psyboom:

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

TwoQuestions posted:

This, but everyone who tries to report a player for being "bad" get forced into games where all their teammates are bots who exclusively pick Windowmaker or Soldier 76.

(How do you expect anyone to get better at the game if they're punished for not being good at it?)

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

lelandjs posted:

This, but everyone who tries to report a player for being "bad" get forced into games where all their teammates are bots who exclusively pick Windowmaker or Soldier 76.

(How do you expect anyone to get better at the game if they're punished for not being good at it?)

So instead of playing with 5 Genjis I have a mix of good heroes? Sign me the gently caress up.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
lol

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.

Ddraig posted:

Pharah is Egyptian and isn't anything to do with Vishkar. Symmetra is Indian and works for Vishkar and gets a nice thematically appropriate Kali skin.

Also Indians from India are not actually native americans and vice versa.

Come on, that was clearly a joke. This thread is like a swell of sharks and every post is potentially chum.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Played some games with my brother and his friends, they bailed to watch GoT, then I decided to solo queue for a couple of games. Second game we get RUN OVER at King's Row by a premade, I'm getting 5v1d all the time and it sucks. One of the guys says "where was the opposing team" and I answer "yeah, I kinda wanted to know that too". For some reason they decided to invite me to their group after that so I did a good dozen games with this full stack of complete strangers and it went pretty okay. We lost a defense to a gimmicky 5 D.Va 1 Lúcio on Hanamura, we had to deal with this annoying pro sniper and his cronies until we decided to chase him down, won a game handily and he quit, I played a bunch of Zarya and did good, I played some Torb and it didn't work at all.

I think I'm falling in love with Zarya. When your team WAITS for you (this is important), she's incredibly obnoxious. You can solo full teams for a while but I wouldn't do it very often.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

denimgorilla posted:

Come on, that was clearly a joke. This thread is like a swell of sharks and every post is potentially chum.

dance, my puppets

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.

Grapplejack posted:

dance, my puppets

It wasn't my joke.

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

It definitely is weird and lazy to dress the Egyptian lady up like a Native American. In a game that's such a slam dunk for the most part aesthetically, that relatively minor misstep is a pretty jarring off-note.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Chomposaur posted:

It definitely is weird and lazy to dress the Egyptian lady up like a Native American. In a game that's such a slam dunk for the most part aesthetically, that relatively minor misstep is a pretty jarring off-note.

I think she's supposed to be some kind of bird god more so than she's supposed to be American Indian. It's better than the obligatory bald eagle/dragon skin and honestly one of the better ones in the game so v0v.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Torbjorn's American biker thing is weird too because that's clearly a very American stereotype and even if he kind of has that look sort of normally it's still weird and random.

ItBurns posted:

I think she's supposed to be some kind of bird god more so than she's supposed to be American Indian. It's better than the obligatory bald eagle/dragon skin and honestly one of the better ones in the game so v0v.

One of the skins is called "Raindancer", dude.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Here's a fun thing: Soldier 76's rockets are stolen from Pharah's company and that's why they do the same damage on a direct hit.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > A Blizzard Subforum > Overwatch: Cultural Appropriation Appreciation Station

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Ddraig posted:

Torbjorn's American biker thing is weird too because that's clearly a very American stereotype and even if he kind of has that look sort of normally it's still weird and random.

One of the skins is called "Raindancer", dude.

How does 'Raindancer' and 'Thunderbird' not elicit a bird god vibe?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

They are skins you nerds it doesn't matter they just look cool.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
If she was a Native American people would still piss their pants over the skins.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Pharah's thunderbird costume is cool, and considering the level of discourse here I think touching on it being a bit...~~problematic~~ is kind of a bad idea.

Instead let's bemoan the fact that Zarya only has poo poo alts.

Give me a Barbarian outfit or a fancy dress outfit or something.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I'm glad a cool skin makes people unironically mad

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I just don't get why they wouldn't go with a traditional Egyptian deity skin for her. I mean it makes sense the only Arabic hero should be ISIS.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Dias posted:

Pharah's thunderbird costume is cool, and considering the level of discourse here I think touching on it being a bit...~~problematic~~ is kind of a bad idea.

Instead let's bemoan the fact that Zarya only has poo poo alts.

Give me a Barbarian outfit or a fancy dress outfit or something.

Fancy dress Zarya would be excellent. Really anything would have a hard time being more boring than what she currently has.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Tequila Sunrise posted:

I just don't get why they wouldn't go with a traditional Egyptian deity skin for her. I mean it makes sense the only Arabic hero should be ISIS.

One, bad, two, she has an Anubis costume, right?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Pharah's Jackal/Anubis Skins are cool as gently caress and should have probably been the second legendary style rather than the position they currently hold.

Pharah's skins definitely feel weird because Jackal/Anubis are clearly legendary style compared to others in the same category for other heroes (most of which are simply more elaborate colour schemes of the default style).

It's like they had the concept for the Raindancer stuff created first and then decided to go a different route with her character and they put so much work into it they didn't want to scrap it so just kept them and gave her the proper legendaries as the tier below.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

chumbler posted:

Fancy dress Zarya would be excellent. Really anything would have a hard time being more boring than what she currently has.

I'm picturing Biscuit from HxH and that would be amazing. But yeah, anything would be an improvement, industrial-chick is kinda...bad and pseudo-Mei is just okay-ish. Her colors aren't amazing either.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The second skin I got was a dia de los muertos-style mariachi outfit for the silly death dude and that is A-OK in my book.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

ItBurns posted:

The skin is really specifically modeled after Haida art, and they're actually quite protective of their motifs, so it is kinda crass of Blizzard to just jack the style and garble it up to stick on a character of totally different ethnicity.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
It doesn't really do anything since an enemy will rarely be this close to your spawn, but you can drop a Junkrat trap on a basketball and use the conc mine to launch it out of spawn before the game starts.

Also in the second pic - Overwatch politics.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Good thing they put a copyright on their 3,000 year old designs.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Zarya's winter costume is actually the best because it's literally Russian Military uniform and you can see many people wearing in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqnKB22pOC0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Tequila Sunrise posted:

They are skins you nerds it doesn't matter they just look cool.