Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

DrBox posted:

Edit2: Sketchfab needs a Vive controller and for some reason loaded up upside-down so that was vomit inducing.

Download it in oculus home. It works perfect from there at least, I never tried the steam version.

DrBox posted:

In VR-legs related news: I managed to play a full round of Eve Valkyrie for the first time without feeling like I was going to throw up. I still don't feel 100% comfortable but it's getting better. Too bad the game itself is super mediocre. Those menus are terrible.

Play the arena combat in Elite Dangerous instead :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Tom Guycot posted:

Play the arena combat in Elite Dangerous instead :v:

I should. I played Elite before the Horizons expansion. I keep meaning to go back to it but remembering all my controls I setup on the hotas makes it feel like a lot of work.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Any good sites doing roundups of all the VR games being shown at E3? Only ones I know about so far are Spaceteam: Star Trek Edition and that motocross game with the stupid trailer.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Fallout 4 on Vive in 2017?!?

Edit: That's all Bethesda said, they didn't show anything

redhalo
May 19, 2009

Lemming posted:

Fallout 4 on Vive in 2017?!?

Edit: That's all Bethesda said, they didn't show anything

Exclusive to Vive?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

redhalo posted:

Exclusive to Vive?

He just said "coming to Vive"

I assume we'll know more over time

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Well I guess if something's gonna make me playa Fallout game I guess it'd be that

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

My brain automatically presented the idea of Witcher 3 on Vive and now I'm sad for the (virtual) reality that will never be

redhalo
May 19, 2009

I wonder what their plan for locomotion is? This seems like a bad idea.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Bethesda will only ever talk about Vive because they still have pending legal action against Carmack and Oculus, but yeah no poo poo it'll run on a Rift, its openvr.

That's probably why they also announced the Doom VR experience thing, to make Carmack cry.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Moving around in game with a pad is perfectly fine for most people when the game has been built for it, I'd be willing to bet that's what they go with. Most of the sick-inducing games are from lovely implementations on games support was hacked into, and on top of that by the time it comes out people will hopefully have started building up some VR tolerance.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

GlyphGryph posted:

Moving around in game with a pad is perfectly fine for most people when the game has been built for it, I'd be willing to bet that's what they go with. Most of the sick-inducing games are from lovely implementations on games support was hacked into, and on top of that by the time it comes out people will hopefully have started building up some VR tolerance.

It could work if people ease their way into it. For my game, I've got a mode that only lets you go forward and a mode that lets you strafe however. I figure people will be able to handle forward movement at first a lot better than left and right and especially backwards movement. The first couple times I tried out Altspace, the movement kind of weirded me out. I found myself swaying a bit while moving with the trackpad. I got used to it after that and was fine, but some people will probably never be able to get used to such a movement scheme. I'm just hoping that they get such a thing right. If they don't, certain people will scream that such a movement scheme doesn't work and it will ruin it for everyone. Then we'll be suck with stupid things like grabbing with both controllers and pulling yourself around.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Cojawfee posted:

I got used to it after that and was fine, but some people will probably never be able to get used to such a movement scheme. I'm just hoping that they get such a thing right. If they don't, certain people will scream that such a movement scheme doesn't work and it will ruin it for everyone. Then we'll be suck with stupid things like grabbing with both controllers and pulling yourself around.

I know a number of people for whom the whole controller thing will never work - they just straight up can't play first person games since it makes them sick (they stick to 2d games, although oddly enough they both love the vive because it doesn't make them sick at all with the current dominant control schemes!). I guess the main thing is asking whether or not there will be enough people who can to drive things forward, rather than expect everybody to be able to.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
There will have to be more research done into The different kinds of VR sickness people get. Some people aren't able to do things like Eve Valkyrie but can easily do Lucky's Tale and vice versa. There's not too much risk of VR sickness with room scale + teleporation but that won't work with every game.

Then we'll get the people who are upset that they can't play *Franchise*'s latest game because they can't handle the VR locomotion it uses.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Finally got shipping notice from Oculus, it's arriving tomorrow :toot:

Is there any expectation that Oculus will reveal a date for Touch at E3?

Cojawfee posted:

Then we'll get the people who are upset that they can't play *Franchise*'s latest game because they can't handle the VR locomotion it uses.

I'd be ok with watching videos of people trying to play Doom in VR.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

In an attempt to see how well I'm going to handle VR land when my Vive arrives, I bought and downloaded Drift for my Gear VR

I'm pretty sure I nearly killed myself half a dozen times spinning around, then a couple times more even after I unplugged the power cable from the headset

I am probably going to die with the Vive aren't I

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

homeless snail posted:

Bethesda will only ever talk about Vive because they still have pending legal action against Carmack and Oculus, but yeah no poo poo it'll run on a Rift, its openvr.

That's probably why they also announced the Doom VR experience thing, to make Carmack cry.

It's hilarious to think about Zenimax going 'oh gently caress Oculus' and pushing the first real-deal AAA games for VR with HTC and the Vive. Might have already been a thing because I imagine Valve and Bethesda are real buddy-buddy with how many sales Steam shifts toward them but Carmack jumping ship galvanizing the mood in that direction is totally what is happening, owns.

But yeah, so we get to see what a AAA title in VR is going to be like. Might be the worst thing ever because Bethesda but I suppose we aren't going to be getting EA to do it first so vOv

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I got the impression from the stream that they were going to show it to attendees, so hopefully we'll get some more info soon

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Sir Tonk posted:

I'd be ok with watching videos of people trying to play Doom in VR.
I'm very interested in how they're doing the locomotion with this one. Fast-paced FPSes seem like a real trouble point for VR right now.

Ciaphas posted:

I'm pretty sure I nearly killed myself half a dozen times spinning around, then a couple times more even after I unplugged the power cable from the headset

I ran in to my desk, walking right through obvious chaperone borders, at least two dozen times while playing Cloudlands multiplayer today. When your real-world instincts are telling you to move somewhere it can definitely be hard to convince yourself to resist the urge and instead teleport.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Reminder that FO4's engine is deeply (perhaps inseparably) tied to a 60hz framerate.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jun 13, 2016

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

KakerMix posted:

It's hilarious to think about Zenimax going 'oh gently caress Oculus' and pushing the first real-deal AAA games for VR with HTC and the Vive. Might have already been a thing because I imagine Valve and Bethesda are real buddy-buddy with how many sales Steam shifts toward them but Carmack jumping ship galvanizing the mood in that direction is totally what is happening, owns.

But yeah, so we get to see what a AAA title in VR is going to be like. Might be the worst thing ever because Bethesda but I suppose we aren't going to be getting EA to do it first so vOv

Theres already been games, and games announced from big AAA places like ubisoft, insomniac, EA for VR. I'd argue we've already seen a real deal AAA game in edge of nowhere. Besides I'm sure whatever neat thing Bethesda does in vr its either going to be another small experience, or awkwardly hacked in support to an existing game. I'm as excited as anyone to play it, but lets not pretend Bethesda is making a 50 million dollar VR game to come out next year.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

wolrah posted:

I'm very interested in how they're doing the locomotion with this one. Fast-paced FPSes seem like a real trouble point for VR right now.
Doom VR sounds very much like an "experience", just walking around environments from the real game or something like that, asset reuse. They were a little more ambiguous about what Fallout 4 VR would be, so its possible people are jumping to conclusions here. Especially considering yeah, probably an uphill battle getting Gamebryo to push VR.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

wolrah posted:

I ran in to my desk, walking right through obvious chaperone borders, at least two dozen times while playing Cloudlands multiplayer today. When your real-world instincts are telling you to move somewhere it can definitely be hard to convince yourself to resist the urge and instead teleport.

I've been informed by top Vive scientists that this is impossible.

Tom Guycot posted:

Theres already been games, and games announced from big AAA places like ubisoft, insomniac, EA for VR. I'd argue we've already seen a real deal AAA game in edge of nowhere. Besides I'm sure whatever neat thing Bethesda does in vr its either going to be another small experience, or awkwardly hacked in support to an existing game. I'm as excited as anyone to play it, but lets not pretend Bethesda is making a 50 million dollar VR game to come out next year.

Taking bets on their Fallout VR game being a 3D Fallout Shelter.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

Cojawfee posted:

I've been informed by top Vive scientists that this is impossible.

They actually announced a DLC addon that is basically Fallout Shelter in the FO4 engine from a first person perspective.

I wouldn't consider Zenimax/Bethesda re-releasing a 1 year old game as a port to VR a "real deal AAA" game.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

wolrah posted:

I'm sort of amazed at myself that I've managed to ram my knee into my desk twice in a game designed to have you stand still and spin

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
I didn't hear the FO4 announcement, but are we sure it's not gonna be something like Fallout Tactics?

edit: Just found the announcement, sounds like it's gonna be the real deal.

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jun 13, 2016

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

In an attempt to see how well I'm going to handle VR land when my Vive arrives, I bought and downloaded Drift for my Gear VR

Drift is a good game with a good ending.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Fooz posted:

Drift is a good game with a good ending.

I got so completely loving lost and confused in level 4 I gave up

I couldn't get over my instinct to kind of "duck around" objects coming at me rather than changing the direction I'm looking, which didn't help considering there's no position tracking happening here

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Reminds me, I know the cables on the Vive come out top and trail behind you, but is there anything there for making sure you don't get wrapped up in it as you spin 'round, or is that just kind of an inevitability?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It's on you to know where the cable is. While you can get a sense of where it is, you will inevitably get lost in a game and get wrapped in it. Or you'll crouch down and then as you stand up, you step on the cable and jerk your head.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Tom Guycot posted:

homeless snail posted:

Doom VR sounds very much like an "experience", just walking around environments from the real game or something like that, asset reuse. They were a little more ambiguous about what Fallout 4 VR would be, so its possible people are jumping to conclusions here. Especially considering yeah, probably an uphill battle getting Gamebryo to push VR.

Cojawfee posted:

w00tazn posted:

They actually announced a DLC addon that is basically Fallout Shelter in the FO4 engine from a first person perspective.

I wouldn't consider Zenimax/Bethesda re-releasing a 1 year old game as a port to VR a "real deal AAA" game.

Poetic Justice posted:

I didn't hear the FO4 announcement, but are we sure it's not gonna be something like Fallout Tactics?

edit: Just found the announcement, sounds like it's gonna be the real deal.

Fallout 4 is a huge deal if it's "Fallout 4 plus VR" done in-house by Bethesda. Edge of Nowhere is probably cool but it is not a AAA game in the sense of sales, exposure and reach of the brand compared to Fallout. Especially Fallout 4. They announced it with "Pip boy on your arm, gun in your hand and dog at your side" along with 'first person' so it's definitely going to be ~the~ VR experience. Whether it is some sort of custom-tailored experience within the Fallout 4 universe or the game + VR remains to be seen but seeing what a studio that has the budget and game design chops (laughable as Bethesda can be) is pretty exciting. The plus side is you can play it on the Oculus too because openVR! Isn't that great?
More games are cool and Fallout 4 is pretty popular and I personally like it quite a bit so I'm super excited. Seems like you guys are all being downers for the sake of being downers but what do I know?

edit
just watched the announcement again and they straight-up say 'Play Fallout 4' and talk about combat and exploring the wasteland. Sounds like it's really just Fallout 4 with VR. And motion controls.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jun 13, 2016

Flashbackjack
Jun 25, 2008
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/fallout-4-and-doom-vr-versions-announced/1100-6440743/

quote:

"Let's not make a short version of Fallout 4--the promise is the whole game," game director Todd Howard said.

Yeah this is awesome.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

I'm not sure why you think I was being a downer? I hadn't heard the announcement and my first assumption was it was gonna be something like that Hitman Go game but set in the FO4 universe, but when I watched it, it became pretty clear it's the real deal FO4 or something similar. He mentions "First Person RPG's", so that is cool as poo poo and I'm excited! Although I hope Bethesda puts forth a bit more effort in killing the weird bugs that plague their games for their VR versions.

edit either way I'm going to keep my expectations pretty low until we see some gameplay or have more information

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jun 13, 2016

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I look forward to Bethesda's hilariously botched effort at making Gamebryo VR capable.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
They haven't used Gamebryo since Skyrim, Bethesda are just that bad at coding their own poo poo.

The oddness with the game engine was never Gamebryo's fault. It was all Bethesda and their lovely programmers.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Nalin posted:

I look forward to Bethesda's hilariously botched effort at making Gamebryo VR capable.

Maybe it'll finally convince them to get a new engine.... :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Paul MaudDib posted:

Reminder that FO4's engine is deeply (perhaps inseparably) tied to a 60hz framerate.

When you have access to the game source, you can (relatively) easily disconnect the frame rate from tick rate.

That's not to say bethesda won't botch it, but it worked out just fine for quake 3 and even all those fan made quake 2 source ports that support cl_packets, as opposed to tying it to FPS directly.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

KakerMix posted:

Fallout 4 is a huge deal if it's "Fallout 4 plus VR" done in-house by Bethesda. Edge of Nowhere is probably cool but it is not a AAA game in the sense of sales, exposure and reach of the brand compared to Fallout. Especially Fallout 4. They announced it with "Pip boy on your arm, gun in your hand and dog at your side" along with 'first person' so it's definitely going to be ~the~ VR experience. Whether it is some sort of custom-tailored experience within the Fallout 4 universe or the game + VR remains to be seen but seeing what a studio that has the budget and game design chops (laughable as Bethesda can be) is pretty exciting. The plus side is you can play it on the Oculus too because openVR! Isn't that great?
More games are cool and Fallout 4 is pretty popular and I personally like it quite a bit so I'm super excited. Seems like you guys are all being downers for the sake of being downers but what do I know?

edit
just watched the announcement again and they straight-up say 'Play Fallout 4' and talk about combat and exploring the wasteland. Sounds like it's really just Fallout 4 with VR. And motion controls.

I don't think anyone is a downer, I'd love to play through fallout in VR and I'll buy whatever this is day one if it looks well done, but in the end we're not looking at a game built from the ground up for VR, we're looking at VR support hacked onto a game that came out a year ago. It isn't like hacking in support for VR in something that works straightforward like a driving game, or flight, or space sim either. I'm skeptical of almost anyone bringing an existing game that was developed for 2D with a lineage of gameplay decisions and refinement going back 15 years into VR well.

I'm not saying they can't do it, and like I said I'll be first in line to blast people with laser guns and use a pipboy on my wrist, but I'm just relatively cautious.

Extortionist
Aug 31, 2001

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

Tom Guycot posted:

I don't think anyone is a downer, I'd love to play through fallout in VR and I'll buy whatever this is day one if it looks well done, but in the end we're not looking at a game built from the ground up for VR, we're looking at VR support hacked onto a game that came out a year ago. It isn't like hacking in support for VR in something that works straightforward like a driving game, or flight, or space sim either. I'm skeptical of almost anyone bringing an existing game that was developed for 2D with a lineage of gameplay decisions and refinement going back 15 years into VR well.

I'm not saying they can't do it, and like I said I'll be first in line to blast people with laser guns and use a pipboy on my wrist, but I'm just relatively cautious.
I'm hoping that the fact that they have playable demos at E3 now and aren't releasing it until next year is a sign that they aren't just hacking support in.

I think FO4's also probably a pretty good candidate to translate to VR--maybe ironically for the same reasons I think it's not a good FPS. The reliance on VATS in combat should balance out the changes in aiming accuracy and the player's physical skill, and the player's speed could be translated pretty easily for a short-distance teleportation option without breaking the game. Plus the game's incredibly easy as-is, so even if they have to tone down difficulty it probably won't be very noticeable.

At the same time, it's Bethesda, so I figure I'll be both thoroughly nauseated by and thoroughly addicted to whatever they end up releasing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
I'd assume they're using the wands and roomscale, but standing is bad for using conventional movement mechanics right? Will be interesting to see what they do, my money's on the touchpad being used as a movement control stick.
I thought people were demo'ing right after their presentation. No leaks yet??

Mordaedil posted:

They haven't used Gamebryo since Skyrim, Bethesda are just that bad at coding their own poo poo.

The oddness with the game engine was never Gamebryo's fault. It was all Bethesda and their lovely programmers.
I thought Creation was just the next iteration of Gamebryo? Still has plasticine faces etc.

Ciaphas posted:

My brain automatically presented the idea of Witcher 3 on Vive and now I'm sad for the (virtual) reality that will never be
I mean in theory this could be a thing, in a few years with better hardware to run it right? 3rd person seems to work ok for a lot of people once they've got their VR legs. Although I imagine combat animations involuntarily moving the camera would be bad.