Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

pyf Character Problems and how you would solve them

:psyduck: Why does Wonder Woman need the bracelets if she's Supermab-tough?

:eng101: Because the bracelets can block/deflect anything, no exceptions, full stop. Bullets, lasers, lazors, lightning bolts, telepathic assault, magnetic fields—bracelets can take 'em. Also, Wonder Woman can deflect things wherever she wants with the bracelets, even if it's a practically impossible thing like sending a bullet back 180° the way it came, or redirecting a lightning bolt sideways.

And that's how I'd solve the bracelets issue for Wonder Woman, thanks for reading and please contribute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Squizzle posted:

:eng101: Because the bracelets can block/deflect anything, no exceptions, full stop. Bullets, lasers, lazors, lightning bolts, telepathic assault, magnetic fields—bracelets can take 'em. Also, Wonder Woman can deflect things wherever she wants with the bracelets, even if it's a practically impossible thing like sending a bullet back 180° the way it came, or redirecting a lightning bolt sideways.

And that's how I'd solve the bracelets issue for Wonder Woman, thanks for reading and please contribute.

In the comics they also symbolize the time the amazons were enslaved by Hercules.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

CapnAndy posted:

So very much more of the same, but since Injustice was really really good, that's fine by me.

It looks like they're bringing in Mortal Kombat X's intro dialogue gimmick. This is a good thing as it's led to some pure gold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcPvhvOjTN8

More reason for the game to include Booster Gold and/or Johnny Cage DLC.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Telltale is doing a Batman game too, apparently.

People were just talking about wanting a detective focused Batman game instead of a combat one. I guess that's one way to do it.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
The Yellow room scene with Green Lantern justifies All Star Batman. That scene in all its stupidity is great, but yea, the whole run is pretty lovely.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

That Yellow room panel is a loving incredible panel (one of the best of all time - the fact that Robin's ice cream was painted yellow never fails to make me laugh), and if he just said it once instead of all the loving time throughout the book (and the first time it was said wasn't in the context of an awful speech where he calls Robin "retarded"), "I'm the goddamn Batman" is a fist-pumping line of dialog.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Telltale is doing a Batman game too, apparently.

People were just talking about wanting a detective focused Batman game instead of a combat one. I guess that's one way to do it.

I need that, but I think I'm gonna force myself to actually play and finish Walking Dead 2, Game of Thrones and Life Is Strange before buying another one of these things.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I guess they actually announce it last year, but they released the cast and some screenshots today.

It's due out soon, this summer sometime.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

I guess they actually announce it last year, but they released the cast and some screenshots today.

It's due out soon, this summer sometime.

Knowing Telltale, that means it's out on... Friday.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
All-Star Batman and Robin is an incredible comic and one of the best Batman stories ever printed.

If only Jim Lee could drawn more than one page a month. Have they ever released Miller's scripts for the last issues?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr Hootington posted:

All-Star Batman and Robin is an incredible comic and one of the best Batman stories ever printed.

If only Jim Lee could drawn more than one page a month. Have they ever released Miller's scripts for the last issues?

No because Lee insists they will finish the book someday.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Rhyno posted:

No because Lee insists they will finish the book someday.

That sucks. Should have tossed them into the absolute edition or kicked Lee off for the last few issues.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I was doing to shelf sorting this morning and it hit me that it has been seventeen years since Matt Wagner finished Mage: the Hero Defined and I could really go for some new Kevin Matchstick in my life.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Also, linked to the Telltale news, does this make Troy Baker the first actor to play both Batman AND the Joker?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Squizzle posted:

She already does that pretty much. Also, Azzarello already covered why she wears them: They're for your protection, not hers.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Power limiters are so stupid.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Die Laughing posted:

She already does that pretty much. Also, Azzarello already covered why she wears them: They're for your protection, not hers.

Yeah but that's new to the Azz run where she's half god. Squizzle's answer is actually pretty close to how it's worked for the majority of Wonder Woman comics, except a lot of the time she isn't Superman-tough and can actually be shot.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Gavok posted:

It looks like they're bringing in Mortal Kombat X's intro dialogue gimmick. This is a good thing as it's led to some pure gold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcPvhvOjTN8

More reason for the game to include Booster Gold and/or Johnny Cage DLC.
The gimmick got its start in Injustice, with the characters knowing each other during clashes. I'm enjoying watching good ideas getting refined from franchise to franchise.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Teenage Fansub posted:

I need that, but I think I'm gonna force myself to actually play and finish Walking Dead 2, Game of Thrones and Life Is Strange before buying another one of these things.

Skip WD2 and GoT, and just play Life is Strange.

I really hope Telltale Batman is closer in quality to Borderlands than it is...anything else they've done recently.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Dexie posted:

Skip WD2 and GoT, and just play Life is Strange.

I really hope Telltale Batman is closer in quality to Borderlands than it is...anything else they've done recently.

good news: the head writer of TftB is also the writer on Batman!

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I know people love Chris Burnham, but I think he might be the artist I dislike the most who's not actively "bad".

I just find his artstyle really repulsive, a weird sorta R Crumb knockoff where all of his faces look just weird and flat and wrong and his body proportions look just off, but unlike Crumb where it's intentional it just comes across as Chris drawing bodies oddly. If I'm being honest it's probably why I don't like Batman, Incorporated very much, because I find his style really kind of grotesque.

I know that he's a good, popular artist, and I'm not claiming he isn't, I'm just wondering if anyone feels the same way, or more generally if anyone has a pet dislike of an artist that they know on an "objective" level is good and talented.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I like Burnham a lot. Especially on Nameless (where grotesque is the thing), but I think Ian Bertram is kind of a more interesting version.

He's got a real messed up Klasky Csupo cartoon meets Frank Quitely thing going on.

House of Penance is just great.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jun 13, 2016

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Burnham comes across with all negatives of Frank Quietly and not too many of the positives.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Burnham reminds me a lot of Quitely, for better or worse (generally the former).

Toxxupation posted:

or more generally if anyone has a pet dislike of an artist that they know on an "objective" level is good and talented.
Frazer Irving's art has never done anything for me, and I can't put my finger on why.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I think he's my favorite Morrison Batman boy of all.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

It's also that my first exposure to Burnham was his E is for Extinction SW tie-in, which is in my opinion the single ugliest story I've ever read.

Really, really, really hate the art in E is for Extinction.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Toxxupation posted:

It's also that my first exposure to Burnham was his E is for Extinction SW tie-in, which is in my opinion the single ugliest story I've ever read.

Really, really, really hate the art in E is for Extinction.

He's just the writer on that.
Art is Ian Bertram on covers and Ramon Villalobos on interiors.

All those guys must be bros. They're in the same sorta school of drawing.

e: For the question, I'll say Jock.
I like some wild styles, and I appreciate him doing his own thing, but I don't really dig it. Especially on Wytches with all the splatters.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jun 13, 2016

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
If I had to describe Spawn so far I would say that it's spinning it's wheels. Lot of space is devoted to side characters I don't really care about. Probably would have been better as a novel than a comic.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Gaunab posted:

If I had to describe Spawn so far I would say that it's spinning it's wheels. Lot of space is devoted to side characters I don't really care about. Probably would have been better as a novel than a comic.
How far in are you?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

CapnAndy posted:

How far in are you?

I am guessing 50 issues in at least. It spun it's wheels for 50 issues, than spun it's wheels in a different direction afterwards.
Still, I think Spawn would have been regarded better if it ended on issue 50 like it was supposed to.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Todd can't live on NHL action figures alone.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Madkal posted:

I am guessing 50 issues in at least. It spun it's wheels for 50 issues, than spun it's wheels in a different direction afterwards.
Still, I think Spawn would have been regarded better if it ended on issue 50 like it was supposed to.
I'll bet you no later than 13 and no way he doesn't drop the book before 50.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
Going to surprise everyone and say that I got to 78. That's mainly because I just stopped reading the huge pages of text. There's some good ideas in there like the hellspawn being good when they come back so they can kill bad people and feed hell souls but who the hell cares about the detectives, Spawn's best friend and his ex-wife. Plus the way he's constantly bitching and getting his rear end kicked makes me believe that Todd McFarlene hates his own character. At least the art and huge 90's guns were entertaining.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

CapnAndy posted:

I'll bet you no later than 13 and no way he doesn't drop the book before 50.

Gaunab posted:

Going to surprise everyone and say that I got to 78. That's mainly because I just stopped reading the huge pages of text. There's some good ideas in there like the hellspawn being good when they come back so they can kill bad people and feed hell souls but who the hell cares about the detectives, Spawn's best friend and his ex-wife. Plus the way he's constantly bitching and getting his rear end kicked makes me believe that Todd McFarlene hates his own character. At least the art and huge 90's guns were entertaining.

I take payment in high fives and beers.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Madkal posted:

I take payment in high fives and beers.
:hfive:

Getting to 78 is impressive as hell, I tapped out in the 30s.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

As someone who was reading that poo poo as it came out let me tell you loving everybody cared about the detectives. Sam and Twitch were like the breakout characters of 1997. The zeitgeist had passed by the time they actually got their own spinoff series.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Travis343 posted:

As someone who was reading that poo poo as it came out let me tell you loving everybody cared about the detectives. Sam and Twitch were like the breakout characters of 1997. The zeitgeist had passed by the time they actually got their own spinoff series.

Which is a shame since it was early Bendis doing what Bendis does best.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Endless Mike posted:

Which is a shame since it was early Bendis doing what Bendis does best.

Writing Spider-Man?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I will always have a soft spot for Curse of the Spawn, but the main series I read very infrequently. I fully gave up on the series a few issues after No. 50 though, as it just seemed to be more directionless than usual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
There aren't that many black protagonist in comics. That's a shame.

• Locked thread