Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

pretty much all turn based games are easy if you play lots of them and know what youre doing (unless they have robust difficulty options) because lots of people are god awful at rpgs and they don't want to lose potential sales

like it's easy to say, "oh, I just used the obviously broken stuff" but being able recognize what stuff is obviously broken makes you way better than lots of the audience

See games journalism if you need proof of my claims, or gamefaqs guides that recommend being 10 levels above the exp curve at all times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I'm going to start Atelier: E&L later tonight, and I'm planning on starting with Logy. Any compelling thoughts on the matter?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

LawfulWaffle posted:

I'm going to start Atelier: E&L later tonight, and I'm planning on starting with Logy. Any compelling thoughts on the matter?

why play an Atelier game if you aren't gonna play as the cute girl, imho

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
immediately playing as the cute boy instead of the cute girl is a betrayal of the core of the atelier franchise

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

pretty much all turn based games are easy if you play lots of them and know what youre doing (unless they have robust difficulty options) because lots of people are god awful at rpgs and they don't want to lose potential sales

like it's easy to say, "oh, I just used the obviously broken stuff" but being able recognize what stuff is obviously broken makes you way better than lots of the audience

See games journalism if you need proof of my claims, or gamefaqs guides that recommend being 10 levels above the exp curve at all times

Just the act of using buffs and debuffs makes you a pro as h*ck next level gamer

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I am trying to remember what it was about E&L's combat that I enjoyed it much more than a game like CS. I think part of it is that in Atelier you are engaging in the whole alchemy thing and creating your broken monstrosities as you level to unlock new skills. Having a direct hand like that is really cool and fun to me, so that's the kind theme I look for in my turn based RPGs.

I don't really remember what customization options you get in CS aside from orbments.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I was actually getting a bit bored of Trails SC's battle system, which is one of the reasons I haven't beat it yet (I will soon, promise). Are the battles in Cold Steel very different? From reading the Falcom thread it sounds like it's pretty much more of the same to me

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I haven't even beat FC yet and the biggest reason is how slow the battles are, with the abysmal first battle theme being second. I want something exciting, not loving smooth jazz.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

sophisticated fight is one of the best battle themes ever

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Paperhouse posted:

I was actually getting a bit bored of Trails SC's battle system, which is one of the reasons I haven't beat it yet (I will soon, promise). Are the battles in Cold Steel very different? From reading the Falcom thread it sounds like it's pretty much more of the same to me

It's a bit faster and has an animation skip, orbments and general balancing are changed such that physical characters are much better, there's new stuff like Links and unbalancing, and CP is practically unlimited. You get cool crafts a good bit faster than in Trails FC and can use them with abandon unless you blow all your CP on an S-Craft or get KO'd.

Motto fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jun 13, 2016

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Verranicus posted:

I haven't even beat FC yet and the biggest reason is how slow the battles are, with the abysmal first battle theme being second. I want something exciting, not loving smooth jazz.

The main enemy faction gets different battle music and it's pretty good.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I love TitS FC but I am absolutely not in the Sophisticated Fight camp. There's a fairly easy way to mod/replace it though; I like the Sora no Kiseki Zanmai version myself.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Sorry, but To be Suggestive is clearly the superior fight track in Trails FC :colbert:.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Cake Attack posted:

Haha, absolutely not. It feels like music that should be playing in a lounge or be some suave gamblers theme song, not battle music that puts you to sleep thanks to the game already being paced like a glacier.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
e; okay, this post was terribly formatted and i don't feel like i really did a good job going into why the battle themes own, so here i go

Sophisticated Fight is a really good battle theme because it's very representative of the general mood of the game. Trails FC is really laid back. It's not an exciting adventure to save the world, at least for the most part, it's about Estelle and Joshua just travelling together and learning about the world around them, and growing closer to each other. For the kind of game that FC is, a more exciting battle theme would actually be totally out of place because it's a game that saves all the exciting, big battle themes for the exciting, big moments.

The regular combat feeling so simple and relaxed compared to those is why they all feel big and climactic and fun, and having a super exciting fight theme would take a bit out of that, and it wouldn't really fit since all the regular instances of combat in FC are against really simple enemies, usually monsters you encounter on the road and such. The music amps up when the stakes amp up, and even the Zanmai theme feels like it fits that mold pretty well despite having a much stronger energy to it.

Likewise, SC has Strepitoso Fight, which is the complete opposite. Sophisticated feels very simple and laid back, Strepitoso feels much more tense and energetic because SC is, on the whole, a much more exciting story than FC. Where most of the fights in FC were against very simple enemies that didn't take that much effort to defeat, a lot of the enemies in SC are much bigger and more dangerous, and require more strategy and raw power to defeat.

Sophisticated Fight feels more about running through the basic process of fighting an enemy, and Strepitoso feels like you're really having to fight something that actually poses a threat, something you really need to defeat, but still not quite one of the hardest things you've ever faced. It also feels a lot more confident than Sophisticated Fight, which fits with how Estelle's grown into a more independent, capable person compared to the first game--along with being more relaxed, Sophisticated Fight is a pretty playful song, compared to Strepitoso.

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jun 13, 2016

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

The Colonel posted:

e; okay, this post was terribly formatted and i don't feel like i really did a good job going into why the battle themes own, so here i go

Sophisticated Fight is a really good battle theme because it's very representative of the general mood of the game. Trails FC is really laid back. It's not an exciting adventure to save the world, at least for the most part, it's about Estelle and Joshua just travelling together and learning about the world around them, and growing closer to each other. For the kind of game that FC is, a more exciting battle theme would actually be totally out of place because it's a game that saves all the exciting, big battle themes for the exciting, big moments.

The regular combat feeling so simple and relaxed compared to those is why they all feel big and climactic and fun, and having a super exciting fight theme would take a bit out of that, and it wouldn't really fit since all the regular instances of combat in FC are against really simple enemies, usually monsters you encounter on the road and such. The music amps up when the stakes amp up, and even the Zanmai theme feels like it fits that mold pretty well despite having a much stronger energy to it.

Likewise, SC has Strepitoso Fight, which is the complete opposite. Sophisticated feels very simple and laid back, Strepitoso feels much more tense and energetic because SC is, on the whole, a much more exciting story than FC. Where most of the fights in FC were against very simple enemies that didn't take that much effort to defeat, a lot of the enemies in SC are much bigger and more dangerous, and require more strategy and raw power to defeat.

Sophisticated Fight feels more about running through the basic process of fighting an enemy, and Strepitoso feels like you're really having to fight something that actually poses a threat, something you really need to defeat, but still not quite one of the hardest things you've ever faced. It also feels a lot more confident than Sophisticated Fight, which fits with how Estelle's grown into a more independent, capable person compared to the first game--along with being more relaxed, Sophisticated Fight is a pretty playful song, compared to Strepitoso.

Actually it's just boring.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Verranicus posted:

your boring

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Verranicus posted:

Much like your posts

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Can't believe we live in a world where people think they can freely talk poo poo about Sophisticated Fight...

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

i think the song is fine. its the speed of battles that is painful. having some kind of epic action theme wouldn't really help them

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
For me music is a pretty important aspect of a game, so having a good battle theme which you hear very often does in fact make fights feel more fun and engaging regardless of the mechanics themselves. FC's isn't quite Legend of Legaia -tier which is always the game that comes to my mind first when I think of boring battle themes, but it's not great.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

GulagDolls posted:

i think the song is fine. its the speed of battles that is painful. having some kind of epic action theme wouldn't really help them

Yes, definitely this. I love TitS but I can't play it without a fast-forward button because the battles are absurdly slow.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 370 days!
I love Trails of Cold Steel so muhc but Trails in the Sky is a boring sloggish :words: mess that I tried playing like a dozen times and never got past an hour each time, and I don't remember any of the soundtrack so that means it was neither good or bad

thats my trails thoughts yall~~

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Silver Will...

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
So there's no PS4 demo for Grand Kingdoms until the day of launch, but the PS Vita demo is live and I think it's pretty fun. I guess it's the same as the beta from earlier, but there's also a war mode that involves taking contracts for one of four houses and then fighting battles against what I imagine are other players' troops. It's not true multiplayer since the defenders are computer-controlled, but I haven't done much digging. I'm kind of kicking myself for pre-ordering it on the PS4. I don't use the Vita for much and I figured a PS4 game would be playable on the Vita through the remote-play, but it really does seem more suited for a portable, and being able to play it while using the PS4 for something else is a benefit I didn't consider until it's too later. And since I pre-ordered the digital version there's no refunds or take-backs. I should have waited, but the allure of a new NIS game was too much for my dump-stat willpower.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
I like Sophisticated fight exactly because it isn't a generic jrpg "Try to be excited for this extremely tiny battle vs some mooks!". While still arguably generic, the jazz is a different flavor than normal that's slightly calming (cause Jazz) but still has good energy in it with the percussion. It feels more relaxing in comparison which is very welcome for the small random fights. Random mook battles don't need high energy exciting songs that will just get tiring after 100+ hours or w/e.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
TiTs battles are so boring though.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

And then when Hollow Light of the Sealed Land kicked in at the final dungeon, that felt good

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Ventana posted:

I like Sophisticated fight exactly because it isn't a generic jrpg "Try to be excited for this extremely tiny battle vs some mooks!". While still arguably generic, the jazz is a different flavor than normal that's slightly calming (cause Jazz) but still has good energy in it with the percussion. It feels more relaxing in comparison which is very welcome for the small random fights. Random mook battles don't need high energy exciting songs that will just get tiring after 100+ hours or w/e.

Slow, boring jazz gets old after 100+ hours just like traditional exciting battle music. It also puts you to sleep coupled with the atrociously slow gameplay.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Verranicus posted:

Slow, boring jazz gets old after 100+ hours just like traditional exciting battle music. It also puts you to sleep coupled with the atrociously slow gameplay.

It's a good thing the game's only 30ish hours long if you do every sidequest, then!

I will admit that the combat is way too slow, but that's what cheatengine is for. :v:

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

dmboogie posted:

It's a good thing the game's only 30ish hours long if you do every sidequest, then!

I will admit that the combat is way too slow, but that's what cheatengine is for. :v:

Having never beaten it I had no idea how long it really was, I was just replying to the other dudes post.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Hmmm, not so sure about FF15 after today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQ-gaj0xKHU

What are they thinking I wonder?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Rascyc posted:

Looks like Final Fantasy Monster Hunter. I mean, it looks neat and fun.. but I still think the characters will bring it down for me.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Rascyc posted:

That might be one of the worst professional gameplay demos I have ever seen.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Verranicus posted:

Disagree about the music then, not gonna touch the gameplay comment.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Rascyc posted:

I think it was real dumb to choose a section of the game that has a "survive for x time" stipulation. All you see if a guy trying to block and failing, barely attacking, dying, and wild camera angles that make it hard to make heads or tails of anything. A gameplay demo of literally anything else would have been a better decision.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Rascyc posted:

Cinematic gameplay.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

LawfulWaffle posted:

So there's no PS4 demo for Grand Kingdoms until the day of launch, but the PS Vita demo is live and I think it's pretty fun. I guess it's the same as the beta from earlier, but there's also a war mode that involves taking contracts for one of four houses and then fighting battles against what I imagine are other players' troops. It's not true multiplayer since the defenders are computer-controlled, but I haven't done much digging. I'm kind of kicking myself for pre-ordering it on the PS4. I don't use the Vita for much and I figured a PS4 game would be playable on the Vita through the remote-play, but it really does seem more suited for a portable, and being able to play it while using the PS4 for something else is a benefit I didn't consider until it's too later. And since I pre-ordered the digital version there's no refunds or take-backs. I should have waited, but the allure of a new NIS game was too much for my dump-stat willpower.

I have been utterly staggered by that game's refusal to allow me to play it.
I signed up for the 'beta' (which I usually never do). the confirmation e-mail got sent to my promotions folder and I didn't realize it until it was over.
I was stoked to find out there was a demo on the PS4. Then there wasn't a demo.
I usually don't care about demos. But since I still barely have a clue about how this game actually plays I was hoping for something that would help me make an informed decision. I tried watched their stream, but it was an hour long and half an hour in they were still in the character creation screen.
I am now scared to DL it, since will PS4 will probably explode or melt or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It's a bad demo, especially when they literally have the Nilfelem base demo that showcases everything but better.

The scalebound demo was also horrible, Monster Hunter-esque is poo poo outside of monster hunter.