Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I've been mulling it over and my biggest question about the Arya sequence is Jaqen's reaction at the end. Why does he say "A girl has no name"? She knows Arya's hosed up her training. Would he have seriously considered allowing Arya to stay then? Maybe the Faceless Men just has really bad recruitment and that's how they ended up with the Waif.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bill Dungsroman
Nov 24, 2006

The Many Faced God seems to like death, so maybe Jaqen figured it was better to let Arya remain Arya and go kill all the motherfuckers she obviously intends to kill than take her life after she bested the Waif. Anyway the worst part of all those scenes was the Waif, what was her deal anyway.

The Hound is the best.

"I've fought far tougher girls than you!"

"You're getting old."

"Yeah, well...he's not."

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?

Vegetable posted:

I've been mulling it over and my biggest question about the Arya sequence is Jaqen's reaction at the end. Why does he say "A girl has no name"? She knows Arya's hosed up her training. Would he have seriously considered allowing Arya to stay then? Maybe the Faceless Men just has really bad recruitment and that's how they ended up with the Waif.

Fake Arya is really the only thing that makes sense. Whoever is holding needle at that point is so good at the whole face-wearing subterfuge thing that you really couldn't tell them apart from real Arya.

Either that or this show has gone really downhill.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Ramsey's going to die off screen at this rate.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I fully expect Ramsey's win streak to continue and him to kill everyone off screen with 20 good men.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I thought this episode was decent, but not as good as the other episodes this season. Them finally getting Arya back to Westeros is great cause jesus her story line is poo poo.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

chmods please posted:

And a man is...Gene Parmesan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U33_sdelTSs

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Steve Yun posted:

When Arya blew out the candle I was kinda hoping the Waif would have shown up right then, and they would be fighting to death in the dark.

Doctor Butts posted:

Boy I sure can't wait for the much anticipated fight between Arya and Waif in pitch black darkness.

Blacktoll posted:

Yeah steve, that'd be great. Another scene that they can cut away and not show in its entirety.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
With the way they resolved the 'Arya got herself stabbed standing out in the open like an idiot' situation, I don't have high hopes for Margaery's plan.

Athropos
May 4, 2004

"Skeletons are Number One! Flesh just slows you down."

Joda posted:

She never became No One

lol neither did the loving waif

List of shows on a smaller budget that don't insult viewers with offscreen deaths almost every episode and that can manage more combat with said budget.
-Spartacus
-Vikings
-Black Sails

Alternatively, list of shows better than what GoT has become in 2016.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

So was there a story reason Arya was against taking milk of the poppy? You just took like 3 stabs to the gut and some how lived with out any surgery, guzzle that poo poo.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

Athropos posted:

List of shows on a smaller budget that don't insult viewers with offscreen deaths almost every episode and that can manage more combat with said budget.
-Spartacus
-Vikings
-Black Sails

It's to GOT strength that an off-scene death can have impact imo. There's so. many. characters. that it's honestly a bit of a reprieve that they spend more time on character moments like Clegande than waste it on the obviously valiant but futile Blackfish fight,

No idea why killing the waif was supposed to make Arya 'No One' though. That was an awkward scene.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

AndyElusive posted:

So was there a story reason Arya was against taking milk of the poppy? You just took like 3 stabs to the gut and some how lived with out any surgery, guzzle that poo poo.
I assumed she was afraid of getting killed in her sleep.

Athropos
May 4, 2004

EatinCake posted:

It's to GOT strength that an off-scene death can have impact imo. There's so. many. characters. that it's honestly a bit of a reprieve that they spend more time on character moments like Clegande than waste it on the obviously valiant but futile Blackfish fight,

The Cleganes killed meaningless redshirts though.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

Athropos posted:

The Cleganes killed meaningless redshirts though.

and yet it was so satisfying

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

AndyElusive posted:

She thought she said "milk of the puppy".

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Jaime offered the same deal to Edmure as Briene did to the Blackfish. Did he talk about part B, too (gasp! offscreen?) His men now have no arms, but perhaps they will march north?

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

:golfclap:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Fake Arya is really the only thing that makes sense. Whoever is holding needle at that point is so good at the whole face-wearing subterfuge thing that you really couldn't tell them apart from real Arya.

The last episode she'll take off her face and it was Syrio Forel all along! And then it cuts to Gendry on his boat and he looks around to make sure no one's around in the middle of the ocean before taking off his face. And gasp, it's Arya! Perfect ending, I should write for the show.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I would rather watch Clegane murder a thousand redshirts than 2 little girls fighting with rapiers and paring knives

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Vegetable posted:

I've been mulling it over and my biggest question about the Arya sequence is Jaqen's reaction at the end. Why does he say "A girl has no name"?
I think what he said was something like "You are alive and she is dead. A girl is now no one". I took it to mean "well done, you did what one of us would have done in that situation".

Obviously, it was setting up Arya's response that she is Arya Stark of Winterfell and such, which, honestly, even if she wasn't opposed to being tasked with killing random and maybe good people, it would still make sense that she told the Faceless guy to piss off. Because her training and the chain of "are you no one? Prove you are no one - I guess you are not no one - and now you are no one" seemed to indicate that maybe these assassins people are bonkers and know gently caress all about proper assassin's training.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Nope.

Real Arya has more drive and more skills. A follower of the god of death, as dispassionate as the show might portray him or as much of a fakeout this could turn out to be, you can still allow that the same follower might just give a hint of a smile and let Arya go; especially after she vanquished and de-faced the waif. That happened. Last week you guys didn't believe Arya was stabbed and the internet lit up with theories. This week it turned out it was her all along and so deal with it.

It was a subtle and great moment in the show. Not downhill at the least.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
I'm glad Backfish was killed offscreen. He warned Briene (and us) that he would probably look like a fool - did you really want the Blackfish go out like a chump, or were you hoping for sum unneeded kung fu master fight scene where he bought it anyway?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Killing the Blackfish AND the Waif offscreen was loving terrible writing after the buildup of their characters, assuming the Blackfish is actually dead. "He died fighting." gently caress you, show. In the books, at least the Blackfish escapes so that there's still some question as to the role he could play further on in the story, either as a surrogate for Sansa in the Riverlands to the Brotherhood without Banners or some other purpose. If they had to kill the Blackfish and the Waif, they could have handled it a lot better than "they died on the way back to their home planets". The Blackfish fell to Ser Budget.

I guess they blew all the budget on the wight army and the Masters' ships firebombing Mereen. Awful.

This was by far the worst episode of the season and one of the worst of the series. The entire episode felt like an hour long preview to the season finale. Arya's entire story over the last two seasons could have been better handled with a 15 minute montage with all the difference it made to her character arc.

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jun 13, 2016

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

The Masters came to take back the city I don't care about, on the contenent I don't care about, and the bad actress queen I don't care about came back to save them. The whole House of Black and White thing was a giant shaggy dog story that in summation was just Arya's player writing "Blind-Fighting" under the proficiency header on her character sheet.

The entire continent of Essos needs to sink into the ocean, as it is where good plots go to die.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Raxivace posted:

I assumed she was afraid of getting killed in her sleep.

Oh. Ya that makes se--

Lycus posted:

She thought she said "milk of the puppy".

Oh.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
The Hound's chicken joke made me cringe. Felt very much so like a fan fiction joke in the style of Dr Who or Sherlock.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
I can't decide whether that huge fleet sneaking up on Mereen or Arya wrecking an entire street's worth of produce without anyone kicking her rear end made me roll my eyes more.

Also goddamn Faye Marsay moves goofy. In both this and Love, Nina she moves like a drunk puppet.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

joshtothemaxx posted:

The Hound's chicken joke made me cringe. Felt very much so like a fan fiction joke in the style of Dr Who or Sherlock.
It went over my head because I don't pay too much attention to the ultra-memesters of the GoT fandom so I just thought it was funny.

DaveKap posted:

~The Faith~ will either say he can because they are still making up the rules as they go along or ~The Faith~ will say a trial by combat isn't allowed and a proper trial will occur which, y'know, went pretty well last time!
That was an easy call to make. I'm excited for the making GBS threads upon Cersei's gonna receive.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Disgusting Coward posted:

Also goddamn Faye Marsay moves goofy. In both this and Love, Nina she moves like a drunk puppet.

The real secret of the Faceless Men is apparently that they are T-800s.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Well, now we know why the Masters had the Mereen fleet burned last season. It wasn't just a favor to help the writers - the Masters already had their amphibious invasion planned.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Also, Arya's been shanked in the abdomen 3-4 times, bleeding profusely, parkours through a city environment where she should have broken one or both ankles with several of the jumps she made, re-opens her Wolverine healing-factor healed stab wounds, then somehow carves off the candle and the Waif's face, only to return to the House of Black and White to say "I'm Arya Stark hurrrrrr" instead of continuing to get the gently caress out of Braavos.

God, what a loving travesty of a plot. I guess the Faceless Men can only afford one apprentice assassin at a time for a city built on extracting enormous wealth from other empires to fund their world-famous assassin's guild. :jerkbag:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Athropos posted:

-Spartacus
-Vikings
-Black Sails

:lol: Black Sails is not better than GoT. I don't care how much you're sperging out, that's just crazy.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

DaveKap posted:

That was an easy call to make. I'm excited for the making GBS threads upon Cersei's gonna receive.

Her walk of shame really never ended, did it? She's still getting poo poo on every day, as it were....

Athropos
May 4, 2004

Majorian posted:

:lol: Black Sails is not better than GoT. I don't care how much you're sperging out, that's just crazy.

im litterally reaching asparagus levels

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Cersei stepping on her own dick once again by tipping her hand with confirmation that she's got a frankenstein in her squad was, actually, pretty cool.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

AbstractNapper posted:

I think what he said was something like "You are alive and she is dead. A girl is now no one". I took it to mean "well done, you did what one of us would have done in that situation".

Obviously, it was setting up Arya's response that she is Arya Stark of Winterfell and such, which, honestly, even if she wasn't opposed to being tasked with killing random and maybe good people, it would still make sense that she told the Faceless guy to piss off. Because her training and the chain of "are you no one? Prove you are no one - I guess you are not no one - and now you are no one" seemed to indicate that maybe these assassins people are bonkers and know gently caress all about proper assassin's training.

I think in their weirdo religion, they promised a death and have to deliver. Her choice to save the actress is the one thing they can't abide, that explicitly goes against the rules. When he sends out the Waif to kill Arya, if she returns instead, that's fine, a death for a death, the god really doesn't care who dies, it is a numbers game.

Otisburg posted:

Cersei stepping on her own dick once again by tipping her hand with confirmation that she's got a frankenstein in her squad was, actually, pretty cool.

The show has definitely put me in the uncomfortable position of enjoying both Cleganes. This can only end in heartbreak.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
This episode made me real mad because they didn't show any of the fights that took place. Otherwise, no issue with what happened.

Although, the ending has me confused.

Hollismason posted:

I thought this episode was decent, but not as good as the other episodes this season. Them finally getting Arya back to Westeros is great cause jesus her story line is poo poo.
Her storyline would have been good if she eventually killed the actress and became a nameless demi-god that eventually went on to kill a family member. And maybe defected then to great peril, or just did it. Either way.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jun 13, 2016

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
So, I'm assuming the cold open for next week shows Drogon burning the Masters' entire fleet by himself, because lol otherwise

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jun 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

DrunkPanda posted:

Waif decides she is suddenly T1000 from Terminator and slowly walks towards Arya instead of actually chasing after her

Yeah that was exactly my reaction, its so dumb.

Vegetable posted:

Yeah it makes no drat sense.

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Bad writing is the only thing that makes sense. The show has been that downhill for two seasons already. Its still entertaining but the writing just sucks balls now.

• Locked thread