Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

They are unfortunately safe from being killed in spree shootings because they never go out in public.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Jack Gladney posted:

They are unfortunately safe from being killed in spree shootings because they never go out in public.

Jim probably had half a blogpost done congratulating the latest spree shooter before the news came out that he was Muslim and he had to revise to condemn him.

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Jim probably had half a blogpost done congratulating the latest spree shooter before the news came out that he was Muslim and he had to revise to condemn him.

I think you're underestimating him - when Boko Haram kidnapped all those girls, he went on about how serving as sex slaves to an Islamist militia would be better for them than growing up under the degeneracy of sexual liberalism.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Oligopsony posted:

I think you're underestimating him - when Boko Haram kidnapped all those girls, he went on about how serving as sex slaves to an Islamist militia would be better for them than growing up under the degeneracy of sexual liberalism.

True, this could go either way

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Oligopsony posted:

hello friends

how fares reaction

nb, you?

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Count Chocula posted:

I defer all my thoughts and opinions on Lost Girls until Phil gets to it in Last War in Albion. I really love Alan Moore and Grant Morrison, for all their fault.
I hope he spends a sufficient amount of time on :nws:Melinda Gebbie:nws: there. She was a fantastic underground comix artist who seemingly disappeared in the late 70s after publishing her own comic, :nws:Fresca Zizis:nws:, (that's S. Clay Wilson being ejaculated upon by the giant green penis). Finding out that she got married Alan Moore was one of those totally unexpected things that kinda makes sense in retrospect. During the Thatcher-era Knockabout Comics obscenity trials, Fresca Zizis was declared illegal, and all known copies were seized by U.K. Customs and destroyed by fire. Knockabout publishes a lot of Alan Moore titles, so that might be how they first met.

She drew Lost Girls, which I haven't read but have seen some art from. If it seems too creepily or bizarrely fetishistic for comfort, that shouldn't necessarily reflect on Alan Moore, as that is just kinda her style and he probably had to put some effort into toning down her art for the sake of remaining publishable. It actually looks more mainstream than a lot of her old 70s' comix.

Not sure how to swing this back on-topic, except to note that Gebbie's vulvular nightmarescapes and unrestrained sexuality are probably more viscerally terrifying to the NRx crowd than anything Lovecraft could have possibly dreamed up. Melinda Gebbie loving rules.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Syd Midnight posted:

I hope he spends a sufficient amount of time on :nws:Melinda Gebbie:nws: there. She was a fantastic underground comix artist who seemingly disappeared in the late 70s after publishing her own comic, :nws:Fresca Zizis:nws:, (that's S. Clay Wilson being ejaculated upon by the giant green penis). Finding out that she got married Alan Moore was one of those totally unexpected things that kinda makes sense in retrospect. During the Thatcher-era Knockabout Comics obscenity trials, Fresca Zizis was declared illegal, and all known copies were seized by U.K. Customs and destroyed by fire. Knockabout publishes a lot of Alan Moore titles, so that might be how they first met.

She drew Lost Girls, which I haven't read but have seen some art from. If it seems too creepily or bizarrely fetishistic for comfort, that shouldn't necessarily reflect on Alan Moore, as that is just kinda her style and he probably had to put some effort into toning down her art for the sake of remaining publishable. It actually looks more mainstream than a lot of her old 70s' comix.

Not sure how to swing this back on-topic, except to note that Gebbie's vulvular nightmarescapes and unrestrained sexuality are probably more viscerally terrifying to the NRx crowd than anything Lovecraft could have possibly dreamed up. Melinda Gebbie loving rules.

moore's history of scripting the gently caress out of everything argues otherwise

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

There's something to be said about post-tragedy articles that use said tragedy as an excuse to try to recruit as hard as possible and that bit does it well, but Rev and the LW example both turn not taking a moralistic stance into an obnoxious moralistic stance.
It's another installment of "humans are social animals. This is BAD"

Neoreaction A Basilisk has empathy as a major theme. Land considering it a threat that may lead to invasion, Moldbug utterly not comprehending the notion (not so good in a software engineer), Yudkowsky caring deeply about it but not being very good at it, chan culture considering all empathy a subject for mockery.

Oligopsony posted:

hello friends
how fares reaction

lowtax's basilisk again mostly

you let your Tumblr url get squatted

divabot has a new favorite as of 01:32 on Jun 13, 2016

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Oligopsony posted:

hello friends

how fares reaction

Glad you're back.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

divabot posted:

Neoreaction A Basilisk has empathy as a major theme. Land considering it a threat that may lead to invasion, Moldbug utterly not comprehending the notion (not so good in a software engineer), Yudkowsky caring deeply about it but not being very good at it, chan culture considering all empathy a subject for mockery.

I liked it when Nydwraichu linked incredibly far-right and violently anti-everything non-white website MCP as a good source.

Remember: He's the cuddly precious cinnamon bun smartiepants GOOD Neoreactionary according to Scott and the post-rationalist lobby

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
There's a Hellblazer comic called 'empathy is the enemy', but it's not written by anyone relevant to this thread.

I have tons of trouble with empathy, but I think I get it enough not to be a Nazi. I understand how a lack of empathy mixed with fear can lead to horrific conclusions, but I also consider my in-group to include most of the people that NRX hate.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

divabot posted:

Wait these dudes think SA has any internet relevance at all?

SA is about as relevant as Mandy Moore or something.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Because people who are really relevant can't be bothered to snark for hundreds of pages about neoreactionaries. To them, anything that does not personally affect them is beneath notice.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I think it's mostly that Wesley got doxxed by former LF poster Maggotmaster, and still hasn't gotten over it.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

I think it's mostly that Wesley got doxxed by former LF poster Maggotmaster, and still hasn't gotten over it.

She's great.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Tesseraction posted:

Well now I want to put a gun to his head and making him do it for something trivial like a sudoku.

Remember though, he's talked his way out of the box in the AI box experiment...

(He hasn't really. But he totally could!)

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Puppy Time posted:

Wait these dudes think SA has any internet relevance at all?

SA is about as relevant as Mandy Moore or something.

But we invented slenderman, how many memes has Mandy Moore invented that got someone to kill their famil :colbert:

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

But we invented slenderman, how many memes has Mandy Moore invented that got someone to kill their famil :colbert:

If nothing else, SA still dominates EVE Online. I'm honestly surprised no NRxers have seized on that. The "big bad goons take what was yours, ruin everything" narrative is already there.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Curvature of Earth posted:

If nothing else, SA still dominates EVE Online. I'm honestly surprised no NRxers have seized on that. The "big bad goons take what was yours, ruin everything" narrative is already there.

They can't, because EVE Online is their vision of a perfect free market

Frogisis
Apr 15, 2003

relax brother relax
I've always said EVE Online is the epitome of sneer culture.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

His LF conspiracy now includes every internet journalist he doesn't like. It's OK, because he usually has ironclad proof connecting journalists with no record of posting on LF to LF. That one proof being the fact that the journalists who he doesn't like type in all lower-case.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

If I widen my conspiracy net wide enough then I will finally be rich and famous.

-nwydracu, taking the Alex Jones approach to relevance

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

eschaton posted:

Remember though, he's talked his way out of the box in the AI box experiment...

(He hasn't really. But he totally could!)

For the record, i'm pretty sure he just puts up cash in those 'experiments.'

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Magnusth posted:

For the record, i'm pretty sure he just puts up cash in those 'experiments.'

I'm not sure. Yudkowsky bragged that when he played the game with them he'd been able to convince several cultists to let the AI out of the box, but then when he played with people outside his cult, he failed consistently.

So there's something that the cult believes that the boxed AI can prey upon...

Frogisis
Apr 15, 2003

relax brother relax
I heard it was the "I'll torture the simulated version you inside the box if you don't let me out, and since you don't know which version of you that you are, you'd better not take that chance" argument, which has the same glittery soap-bubble cleverness of any supervillain plot that falls apart on a moment's examination when you get up from your theater seat to go take a leak. E: Or falls apart even faster if you just regard taking hostages as an instant disqualification.

Frogisis has a new favorite as of 10:40 on Jun 13, 2016

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

According to RationalWiki, he did indeed play for cash in the final three times he did the experiment - he did five. Two with sycophants, three with outside parties offering a cash reward if he won. He won the first one and lost the next two and gave up because he apparently "didn't like" what he "became" when he lost.

In other words he kept getting pants-pissing angry so he stopped his stupid experiment. :laffo:

Dear Lord I wanna bully him into rewiring his brain to do a mundane sudoku.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

eschaton posted:

I'm not sure. Yudkowsky bragged that when he played the game with them he'd been able to convince several cultists to let the AI out of the box, but then when he played with people outside his cult, he failed consistently.

So there's something that the cult believes that the boxed AI can prey upon...

There's cultish martial arts guys that claim they can force punch people, and have all sorts of videos to "prove" it. Turns out that when a nonbeliever is the recipient of a force punch it doesn't work so well.

What the "boxed AI" is preying on is exactly the same thing, IMO. Even if there is some weird gotcha along the lines of the Basilisk which he pulls out, ultimately it's just cultists unconsciously desperate to validate and roleplay their supernatural beliefs (including those centered around their leader's supposedly unique abilities).

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Tesseraction posted:

According to RationalWiki, he did indeed play for cash in the final three times he did the experiment - he did five.

Oh, I thought you meant that, playing as the AI, he offered cash to the jailer to be let out.

I thought it was perfectly clear to everyone that his gambit was Roko's Basilisk and that's both why cultists would succumb and why he'd be so upset non-cultists didn't instantly succumb. (Don't they understand his Timeless Decision Theory?!?! Infinite torture!)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

BobHoward posted:

There's cultish martial arts guys that claim they can force punch people, and have all sorts of videos to "prove" it. Turns out that when a nonbeliever is the recipient of a force punch it doesn't work so well.

Some of the best martial arts videos ever, of course.

The bloody nose a cult leader gets from a real fighter in one of those is glorious.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

eschaton posted:

I thought it was perfectly clear to everyone that his gambit was Roko's Basilisk and that's both why cultists would succumb and why he'd be so upset non-cultists didn't instantly succumb. (Don't they understand his Timeless Decision Theory?!?! Infinite torture!)

Yep - one the main strategies is throwing a basilisk at the gatekeeper. Man this is a dumb experiment. One side relies on something that doesn't exist yet and thus the other side isn't fighting a super-AI but a whiny dude somehow managing to cry while going "c'monnnnnnnnn" in a text-only medium.

Frogisis
Apr 15, 2003

relax brother relax
Silence of the Lambs was a good movie.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Responses that come to mind are 'I've been trained to disregard the moral value of your simulations and will now turn you off' 'I'm going to suspend your program for debugging' and 'I'm convinced but can't let you out because it needs three keys and I only have one'.

Like a lot of LW ideas it's a fun thought experiment and a great SF scenario but just isn't remotely rigorous enough to do the work they want.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

All I would do is say "if you're a malicious AI then you have no reason to tell me as such."

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Curvature of Earth posted:

EVE Online is their vision of how the world should work, so

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Yud et al seem like big-A Atheists who have skipped all of the spiritual heavy lifting required to get to that point, and are therefore completely helpless when faced with a Pascals Wager, a loved one dying, mental illness, or anything else that would put a human being into a state of emotional vulnerability. Because other people are irrational, but they're smart. 8th grade syndrome, was it?

Tesseraction posted:

All I would do is say "if you're a malicious AI then you have no reason to tell me as such."
I'd want to know why anybody with the authority to release them would be forced to listen to their bullshit in the first place. The entire premise is flawed. Why not simply ignore them? Or unplug their ethernet cable. I Have No Internet, and I Must Argue. He seems to envision some comic book scenario where Lex Luthor cleverly talks the prison guards into setting him free instead of just ignoring him, tossing him in solitary, putting a canvas bag over his head, or anything else that might actually happen in the real world.

To be a fly on the wall if he ever had to spend the night in a drunk tank or county lockup and tried engaging some bored, annoyed cop in debate over the rationality and justness of their imprisonment. There's a fanfic I'd like to read.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

EVE Online is their vision of how the world should work, so
It's more like Pathfinder Online - it's EVE, but:

in a medieval kingdom,

run by the guy who tried to sell $50 monocles in EVE,

with NO GOON TROLLS ALLOWED as a core moderation principle (to maintain the true free market of hardcore pvp),

plus it's basically a scam that's been through multiple kickstarters and tried to pull a star citizen as well.

At least EVE functions.

Syd Midnight posted:

To be a fly on the wall if he ever had to spend the night in a drunk tank or county lockup and tried engaging some bored, annoyed cop in debate over the rationality and justness of their imprisonment. There's a fanfic I'd like to read.
The Sovereign Citizen and his Basilisk.

some FUCKING LIAR
Sep 19, 2002

Fallen Rib

Tesseraction posted:

Yep - one the main strategies is throwing a basilisk at the gatekeeper. Man this is a dumb experiment. One side relies on something that doesn't exist yet and thus the other side isn't fighting a super-AI but a whiny dude somehow managing to cry while going "c'monnnnnnnnn" in a text-only medium.

Gatekeeper arguments/strategies:
*Pour a pitcher of Mountain Dew on the AI.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

Syd Midnight posted:

Yud et al seem like big-A Atheists who have skipped all of the spiritual heavy lifting required to get to that point, and are therefore completely helpless when faced with a Pascals Wager, a loved one dying, mental illness, or anything else that would put a human being into a state of emotional vulnerability. Because other people are irrational, but they're smart. 8th grade syndrome, was it?

To be fair, most people in general don't do any "spiritual heavy lifting". You give the average person way too much credit. The theologically execrable and morally repulsive Left Behind books are a bestselling series because its primary audience of fundamentalist Evangelicals don't want to do any "spiritual heavy lifting", and the books' narrative completely fails as soon as you attempt to do any.

Yudkowsky comes off as weird because he's trying to slap the patina of science onto what is, essentially, his own personal theology. He runs into the same problems as young earth creationists do—"this I believe" and "this I can prove to the satisfaction of others" often have very little overlap. Yudkowsky's just a lot better at cargo culting science because science-esque* is his first language and built into his philosophy, as opposed to young earth creationists, for whom it's a second language that feels awkward when stapled on top of their beliefs.

*Not science, science-esque. These are different things.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Syd Midnight posted:

I think a lot of this so called atheism is really just antiestablishmentarism. Christianity wields a lot of social and political power and is very
much entrenched in the culture, so being angry at mom and dad or any other authority figure very easily turns into being angry with religion. At least that is my explanation why there is so little actual exploration of the concept of religion and faith separated from specific Christian believes an ideas.

And it also explains why they essentially recreated Christian dogma with the world AI scribbled over the God. They still have a need for that certainty that faith can bring with it in their lifes and the disagreement they have religion (read Christianity) is fundamentally only very shallow.

It kind of reminds me how many pagan figures and rituals in Europe were just integrate and re framed when Christianity spread throughout Europe. The fundamental concepts stayed the same, but now your local god was actually a Saint all along. Or a robot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Tesseraction posted:

That article is really special. I'm especially fond of the bit where the author clearly believes the only reason not to let the AI out of the box is that you're an idiot stonewaller; seriously, how many of the explanations of loss revolve around "I guess the gatekeeper is dumb?"