Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

oh my god I read some Desert Peach and it's all coming back to me. . .

If the thousands of pages of other comics aren't to your liking, I suggest jumping straight to Afterdead just for the pleasure of a world you could have had the tools to understand but skipped, so you're all like "Wait, why do camels become robots in Hell?" and it's like, hey, you're the one who didn't come to class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pick posted:

If the thousands of pages of other comics aren't to your liking, I suggest jumping straight to Afterdead just for the pleasure of a world you could have had the tools to understand but skipped, so you're all like "Wait, why do camels become robots in Hell?" and it's like, hey, you're the one who didn't come to class.

Haha that kind of confusion is part of the draw for me for sure.

I was just at the new Detroit comic shop though and bought the first volume of The Desert Peach though, so I guess I've chosen another entry point into the weirdness.

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.
This could be a long shot, but does anyone remember this one webcomic that was about a talking dog and a girl travelling through time so they could eat various historic breads?
It's been stuck in my head all morning, but I can't recall the name.

sigseven
May 8, 2003

That was heavy.

The Lobotomy Kid posted:

This could be a long shot, but does anyone remember this one webcomic that was about a talking dog and a girl travelling through time so they could eat various historic breads?
It's been stuck in my head all morning, but I can't recall the name.

The Nerds Of Paradise

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Hah! This reminds me of old dresden codak, before it started taking it's poo poo seriously.

sigseven
May 8, 2003

That was heavy.
Probably because it's by the writer of A Lesson Is Learned But The Damage Is Irreversible, which clearly had a big influence on early Dresden Codak.

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.

Thanks, this was bugging me.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Hello webcomic-likers. I'm just here to inform you that Super Mega Comics, the only good webcomic, shining down from a higher plane of existence onto our misbegotten faces, is currently having a kickstarter to publish a book. Though the goal has been handily met, I encourage you to take a look and see if you don't want to get in on it.

:siren: But wait, I forgot to mention! The book will feature a foreword by Ryan North of Dinosaur Comics, if you're the sort to buy books for the foreword! :siren:

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Hell yeah I'm a backer!

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
From the other thread:

valeriehoopla posted:

hey there. i check this thread pretty often even though i know i shouldn't. it's the worst kind of invasive curiosity, yknow? call it... ten dollars worth of curiosity...

anyway, i'm the author of goodbye to halos, and i'd like for you to stop reposting my comic here. this is more for my own sake than in defense of my work. i'm not losing revenue off this or anything; it's fair use, it's fine, whatever. it mainly just makes me really uncomfortable thinking every page i put up is getting reposted somewhere for y'all to try and performatively invent angles to jab at it from. i want to gently suggest that if my comic seems weird or boring or uncomfortable to you, it's probably because you're not exactly my target demographic. i get second-hand embarrassed reading you folks acting weirded out when my queer characters in my queer webcomic act queer. and especially on a day like today, i'm kind of not willing to put up with that.

i don't really get the impression that any of y'all are particularly enjoying my comic, so i think it would hardly be a loss for you to politely abstain from posting it.

anyway that's my first and only post, for all time, forever!!!!!!!!!! also the reason i write characters' pronouns in their introductions is because even when i organically refer to them by their pronouns in-universe people still manage to misgender them!!!!! it's really not that hard to understaaaaand

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I've never seen that comic? vOv

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

SynthOrange posted:

I've never seen that comic? vOv

It's the one with pastel queer hipster furries, with really bad pacing.

Kinda resembles Cucumber Quest. It's been posted here and poked a little bit for, if anything trying too hard I suppose, but mostly gets mocked in the other thread. :shrug:

I honestly don't know why this little kernel of pseudo-drama is being brought up.

Edit: In fact as I recall the only time the comic got posted here was by Lamps sooo what's the deal guy.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Jun 13, 2016

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
The real deal with BravestOfTheLamps is that he's Mister Burns' assistant just kind of a grump about mediocre webcomics.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Jfc, I just posted to let people know a webcomic author had their account here.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Thank you for letting us know about the existence of an account that won't be posting again. This is very useful information.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
okay

on to a topic not the webcomics thread that is bad

i guess we finally know what happened in the surprisingly horrifying opening to this chapter of wilde life

if you're a reader already and don't get it yet, the rougarou/rugaru is a human/wolf monster that in some native american variations can pass on its curse simply by being seen

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

I like goodbye to halos

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Tollymain posted:

i guess we finally know what happened in the surprisingly horrifying opening to this chapter of wilde life

if you're a reader already and don't get it yet, the rougarou/rugaru is a human/wolf monster that in some native american variations can pass on its curse simply by being seen

Man, I like Wilde Life. I had never heard of a rougarou. That's a rather nasty version of a standard werewolf.

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

😤I am NOT Captain_Redbeard🧔

majormonotone posted:

I like goodbye to halos

I sometimes like goodbye to halos. The writing does have some pacing issues, and the art apes Cucumber Quest pretty hard, but I still enjoy it. The art looks like the artist has a great time drawing it, and I find that enthusiasm contagious. I don't read the other webcomic thread, was it as homophobic as I'm imagining, or is that just how the creator percieves criticism?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the bad webcomics thread has a tendency to get really into things, be it enjoying weird stuff or picking at things they don't like long past the point where there aas anything interesting to say. such is goons

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Captain Redbeard posted:

I sometimes like goodbye to halos. The writing does have some pacing issues, and the art apes Cucumber Quest pretty hard, but I still enjoy it. The art looks like the artist has a great time drawing it, and I find that enthusiasm contagious. I don't read the other webcomic thread, was it as homophobic as I'm imagining, or is that just how the creator percieves criticism?

It's being posted by Bismuth, who is LGBT, so yeah it's the latter.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I keep thinking Goodbye to Halos is that surreal artsy webcomic where the talking animals had their consciousnesses floating around their heads, but I think that had a much less intuitive title.

mycot fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jun 14, 2016

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
GtH is so sloppily drawn that it's sometimes difficult to recognize where a character's head is because their gigantic eyes and blinding indie-band hair eclipse everything from the neck up. It apes CQ's art without any of the necessary skill.

Not touching the writing with a ten-foot pole.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

mycot posted:

I keep thinking Goodbye to Halos is that surreal artsy webcomic where the talking animals had their consciousnesses floating around their heads, but I think that had a much less intuitive title.

You mean Oren Otter or this thing?

I still have no loving idea what's supposed to be going on in that thing

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

You mean Oren Otter or this thing?

I still have no loving idea what's supposed to be going on in that thing

Yeah, it's Nature of Nature's Art.

I actually think the title is kinda pretty but it's hard to connect to the comic itself.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Captain Redbeard posted:

it was mostly the thing where the mentally ill goons obsess for months on end over how boring a boring thing is, interspersed with occasionally noting that haha wow for a comic so thoroughly impressed with its own queerness it's pretty casually lovely towards people who aren't the right kind of queer

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

GtH is so sloppily drawn that it's sometimes difficult to recognize where a character's head is because their gigantic eyes and blinding indie-band hair eclipse everything from the neck up. It apes CQ's art without any of the necessary skill.

Not touching the writing with a ten-foot pole.

Yeah, "without any of the necessary skill" is an implied part of "aping." CQ has great art, and it's clearly an influence on GtH, but there's a lot of room for improvement. But for any technical problems the art has, I still enjoy looking at it, it's so energetic, I feel like I can see the artists enthusiasm, which is refreshing. This is making me want to read the other thread, which is probably a mistake.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Captain Redbeard posted:

Yeah, "without any of the necessary skill" is an implied part of "aping." CQ has great art, and it's clearly an influence on GtH, but there's a lot of room for improvement. But for any technical problems the art has, I still enjoy looking at it, it's so energetic, I feel like I can see the artists enthusiasm, which is refreshing. This is making me want to read the other thread, which is probably a mistake.

What you see as "energy" probably translates to "copying poses from shoujo manga."

Either way, I won't harp on it. There's enough good comics/books/whatever out there so that I don't have to preoccupy myself with bad ones.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i hav nothing to say about gbth

i have two words about cucumber quest though: we're back :buddy:

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

At a glance, the art seems pretty good to me. It feels like sometimes people in BSS complain about technical proficiency when they're really talking about style. See: people's reaction to that recent run of She-Hulk.

Not to say it's perfect or anything. But it seems pretty suited to what the comic is trying to do.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

In general though, I feel like art in this medium is a tool that needs to be utilitarian rather than perfect. So many of my favourite webcomics employ limited, little, messy, or inconsistent art that I find it hard to be too critical of comics that are trying to be a grade above that and not quite hitting it.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
You don't need ninety-ninth percentile art and writing to make a good webcomic. If the art's bad, it can be redeemed to a certain degree by good writing, and vice-versa. If the art and the writing aren't good, well, you've got a problem.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

it was mostly the thing where the mentally ill goons obsess for months on end over how boring a boring thing is, interspersed with occasionally noting that haha wow for a comic so thoroughly impressed with its own queerness it's pretty casually lovely towards people who aren't the right kind of queer

Not to perpetuate bad webcomicschat, but what's this about?

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

I'm curious too. I tried to find the other thread, and learned I don't even know what forum it's in. And my enjoyment of the art isn't from the poses, although I don't read enough manga to know if they copied or something like that. It isn't a formal quality, I just get the impression that they love drawing it.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3689737 the other thread is in byob chatzone here

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Elysiume posted:

You don't need ninety-ninth percentile art and writing to make a good webcomic. If the art's bad, it can be redeemed to a certain degree by good writing, and vice-versa. If the art and the writing aren't good, well, you've got a problem.

I agree, with the caveat that even "redeemed" is probably too weak a word. Dinosaur Comics is literally the same identically arranged clip art in every strip, and yet it's super good. Oyvind Thorsby's comics have art that is luridly imaginative and at the same time meets almost no metric standard of technical skill short of consistency, and they're amongst the best webcomics I've ever read.

Art is really conditional. It's vital to the experience of any comic, but whether it's "good" or not can mean a lot of different things.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

And vitally, I probably wouldn't point to any webcomics that have truly technically stunning art as being amongst my favourites at all - with the possible caveat of, like, Homestuck, which danced between both extremes and was as often scribbly and loose as it was highly structured.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Renaissance Robot posted:

Not to perpetuate bad webcomicschat, but what's this about?

this guy covered it about as well as I could

Allen Wren posted:

So, you're probably not going to read this

But

As a garden-variety queer/bi/whatever person, it's a real pain in the rear end to be assumed to be not queer enough and thus out of the "target audience" because one is somehow "doing it wrong" in the eyes of queer media that continually holds up the gold-star standard, that the only true queer relationships are those unsullied by even thoughts about hetero- or hetero-seeming relationships. I can't help but feel insulted when we get this whole rigamarole where we can't just let these characters be bisexual, there has to be a song-and-dance explanation about how they're actually queer-platonic and making out because five question marks (one question mark). Last I checked, platonic tends to preclude the concept of sloppy makeouts. There's really two routes here - one being that this is actually the main emotional relationship in these characters' lives, which ends up making this whole "no they're pure queers really" thing some really disingenuous bi erasure, the other being that this is, what, just some cheap heat fanservice to get some makeouts flowing for the readership to coo over?

also why are you talking about 14-year-olds getting boners

that is something else entirely

(also also thanks for being really condescending when we totally do understaaaaaaaaaand we just don't think it's a good decision)

e: all that said, whatever, we don't need the drama, might as well find something else to post.

Android Blues posted:

I agree, with the caveat that even "redeemed" is probably too weak a word. Dinosaur Comics is literally the same identically arranged clip art in every strip, and yet it's super good. Oyvind Thorsby's comics have art that is luridly imaginative and at the same time meets almost no metric standard of technical skill short of consistency, and they're amongst the best webcomics I've ever read.

Art is really conditional. It's vital to the experience of any comic, but whether it's "good" or not can mean a lot of different things.

'good' doesn't have to mean photorealistic or technically complex; the overarching joke in dinosaur comics is that every strip is trying to spin a different little story out of the exact same visuals, the art is there to elevate what'd otherwise just be observational standup 'and what is the deal with airline food' humor (I don't even much like dinosaur comics, but the art gimmick is still a good one competently executed). Hitmen for Destiny is ridiculous and ridiculous looking and wouldn't be half so funny if it traded the goofy grimaces and awkward MSPaint gremlins for looking like, idk, Unsounded or something. The simplicity and crudity's a conscious artistic choice that directly serves the premise of the work, the art does its job better than it could if it were another way, it's good.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 14, 2016

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Android Blues posted:

And vitally, I probably wouldn't point to any webcomics that have truly technically stunning art as being amongst my favourites at all - with the possible caveat of, like, Homestuck, which danced between both extremes and was as often scribbly and loose as it was highly structured.

How would you rate One Punch Man? The webcomic I mean. I recall waaaaay back in the dedicated thread, before the anime was more than wishful thinking and Yusuke Murata had only just started doing the redraw, a bunch of people who know more about art than me commented that even though the visual aspect of ONE's art is unquestionably loving awful, his panel layout and scene construction etc. are top notch to the point that Murata made almost no changes at all in that regard.

It was really fun reading the two side by side to play spot the difference, at least until the redraw got licensed.

this guy covered it about as well as I could

Oh wow gently caress that

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jun 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

OPM's original art is atrocious and it's still fun as heck. I'd argue even the writing is pretty poor. Who cares though, a funny bald dude is strong and it's a fun time.

It's OK to just enjoy things, sometimes. I don't really understand why people hold webcomics to this crazy standard when you can take a glimpse at professional, paid, media that can be just as error riddled, or often worse: (TOEI animation, a lot of crummy looking Marvel/DC comics etc)

I can guarantee most people making webomics are trying their best, which seems to be threatening to a certain type of person on the internet. It can honestly get really intimidating when you see a bunch of people reaching really hard to hate on something.

Sure, I get that some people take crit poorly, I understand that some things are outright bad or harmful, and I get some people just wanna sit around and joke with their buds.... but sometimes it seems to get downright frightening. That's my perspective on it, at least. :ohdear:

• Locked thread