Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

:rolleyes:

this kind of response is a good example of why the left is being eviscerated in europe.

Yes tell me more about the assault weapon problems you have in europe. :allears:

I guess murder is an ok thing only on the right?

actually no i take it back, I'm touchy as gently caress about this right now.

Please explain what your statement has gently caress all to do with wanting sensible gun regulation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

YOU A loving HAT posted:

Interviews also revealed he hated black people, jews and women. This guy was just a bigoted piece of poo poo and looking to claim affiliation with whatever group hated the most people. Trumps I told you so is bs because this wasnt about being muslim, or even being in ISIS, which he wasn't to best of anyone's knowledge. If this guy had been white, he'd be shooting up clubs in the name of the Klan. It just makes me sick.
This checks out
https://twitter.com/missyasin/status/742148111741661185

YOU A FUCKING HAT
Jun 7, 1979

I CAN'T BE STOPPED OR REASONED WITH

This just in, men who are huge bullies will seek out ways to get power over those members of the population that they dislike.

Oh no wait I'm sorry, it's because of Muslims. The problem is NEVER coming from inside the country. We're America. Everyone else is the problem.

YOU A FUCKING HAT
Jun 7, 1979

I CAN'T BE STOPPED OR REASONED WITH

SneakyFrog posted:

Yes tell me more about the assault weapon problems you have in europe. :allears:

I guess murder is an ok thing only on the right?

actually no i take it back, I'm touchy as gently caress about this right now.

Please explain what your statement has gently caress all to do with wanting sensible gun regulation

Ugh just SHOOT ALL THE BAD PEOPLE, FROGGY. HOW HARD IS IT. just find and shoot the bad guys! You bleeding heart liberals with your "maybe find the root of violence instead of screaming and retaliating blindly." i swear. Huge eye roll.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Does it count as irony that a guy who pretty blatantly only wanted to be a policeman because they get to shoot people died being shot by police

or would it only have been ironic if he hadn't deserved it

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

YOU A loving HAT posted:

Ugh just SHOOT ALL THE BAD PEOPLE, FROGGY. HOW HARD IS IT. just find and shoot the bad guys! You bleeding heart liberals with your "maybe find the root of violence instead of screaming and retaliating blindly." i swear. Huge eye roll.

sorry all dont mean to have a berniebro meltdown and all.. Just :f5: ing the drat casualty list all day hoping not to see any names i know.

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

(hair tousled from head shaking during speeches)

yeah, and the sanders campaign response was ORIGINALLY fine and mentioned the LGBT element (which hillary's didn't), but then sent out this hawkish :byodood: ISIS!!!!!! :byodood: tweet later and it was like.....how does one get so close to getting it..... and then miss by a mile.

especially because the more we learn about the guy, the more we learn that he was hosed up in a MYRIAD of ways and that the isis thing is -not- the main motivation for this, like, at all.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah its pretty clear ISIS just went "hmm yes we didn't do this but the guy claimed to be part of us and did a good job we never could do, so lets pretend we had big connections" since they know it'll rile up more anti-muslim rhetoric in the US and radicalize more muslims here.

The guy sounds like the more we learn and after emotions run high that he has almost NO TIES to IS and did this on his own then claimed he was and IS decided to go with it. I don't know why Bernie doesn't get that but hey whatever got to clean up the mess we created I guess?

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

i think someone mentioned this earlier but it's odd how he goes against beltway thinking in many circumstances but when it comes to foreign policy he is very "beltway" about it right now, with only a few deviations here and there.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Classic Comrade posted:

i think someone mentioned this earlier but it's odd how he goes against beltway thinking in many circumstances but when it comes to foreign policy he is very "beltway" about it right now, with only a few deviations here and there.

He's still moderate on Israel at least

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

i dont think you can entirely erase isis from this equation in this shooting. there being a radical and violent terrorist group that will endorse any butchery you do in their name definitely helps incept the idea for this sort of thing in peoples heads. that said, thats only a good reason to be anti-isis which i believe just about everybody already is. the question for me turns to the fact that turkey saudi arabia and obama hillary et al in the west will continue to insist on funding and arming radicals in syria, thus keeping the incubator for isis in the region running steadily.

https://twitter.com/adamentous/status/720061939255259138
etc

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I think Bernie's response was fine. Problem is that the hybrid nature of the shooter doesn't get emphasized enough. So people hear ISIS and jump to global-mastermind-terrorists when its more like propaganda of the deed like the anarchists of yore.

Now, related to that, if you look at Western govt's response to the anarchists, repressive security measures and anti-immigration backlash didn't have a very good track record. But ideological competition which rendered the anarchists moot did.

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

C-SPAN Caller posted:

He's still moderate on Israel at least

hence the "few deviations here and there"

also @fastluck i wasn't saying there was NO isis connection, i was just saying that there was a buttload of other variables to this and focusing JUST on the isis one i think would be reductive.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
It'd be reductive, yeah. What confuses people is that they're wrongly thinking of these attacks like Al Qaeda, which is/was more of the classic example of what you'd think of when you hear the phrase 'terrorist organization.'

I'm hoping people are finally starting to slowly realize that the mass shooting problem has actually been a terrorist problem this whole time, except with people indoctrinating themselves into the cult-like state of mind terrorists require to indiscriminately slaughter other human beings. What I.S. has done is encourage them. So it's a hybrid.

What's also a bit different is that the shooter's personal problems are a factor. So Elliot Rodger was an anti-feminist terrorist by his own definition, but he was also acting out because of personal grievances, because he couldn't get laid, he killed his roommates, etc. Florida man had an intense and specific hatred for gays. Al Qaeda blowing up an airplane is a strategic target; as far as they're concerned it's nothing personal.

Leaving aside the gun issue, that young men who are not living in war zones, and are in fact by all objective measures living rather normal lives are doing that to themselves is deeply concerning. It's a canary in the coal mine that something is deeply wrong in western societies at the moment.

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 18:13 on Jun 13, 2016

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Osama bin Laden was extremely wealthy and western educated, and look what happened. Its not that something is wrong with western society, its that people long to try something new and believe the grass is greener on the other side. If youve never watched a militant theocracy in action its easy to believe it would be better and more moral than the west, especially if youre wealthy or secure enough to not give a poo poo about economic concerns. This is why interventionism is destined to fail, cultures need to have their own gently caress ups and learn rather than having lessons imposed from the outside.

None of that has to do with this shooter though, he was a lone hateful nutjob who would have found some other ideology to justify wanting to mass murder gays. We shouldnt use the inscrutable desires of the Musselman as an excuse for this one.

empireofcrime
Nov 3, 2015

The crimes of this guilty land can never be purged away but with blood.
Sorry to burst in on terrorism chat, not really another thread I can think of where this would fit:

https://twitter.com/davidsirota/status/742435347791941632

Seems Sanders was right on Malloy. Originally I thought he was just another indistinguishable establishment dem, turns out he's giving Frank a run for his money in terms of being a scumbag. In case anyone forgot, Malloy and Frank are co-chairs of the rules committee for the democratic convention. Sirota is digging deep on the merger's connection to Malloy and he just keeps pulling up nasty poo poo.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

What exactly did Barney frank do besides be mean to Bernie Sanders

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

empireofcrime posted:

Sorry to burst in on terrorism chat, not really another thread I can think of where this would fit:

Seems Sanders was right on Malloy. Originally I thought he was just another indistinguishable establishment dem, turns out he's giving Frank a run for his money in terms of being a scumbag. In case anyone forgot, Malloy and Frank are co-chairs of the rules committee for the democratic convention. Sirota is digging deep on the merger's connection to Malloy and he just keeps pulling up nasty poo poo.

Scumbag is a slur

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

be a wall street shill who thinks that the idea that wall street is corrupt is 'crazy'

but either way, having 2 of the 3 rules committee chairs be outwardly antagonistic towards one of the candidates (and by extension, their ideas) is kinda lovely don't you think?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Classic Comrade posted:

be a wall street shill who thinks that the idea that wall street is corrupt is 'crazy'

but either way, having 2 of the 3 rules committee chairs be outwardly antagonistic towards one of the candidates (and by extension, their ideas) is kinda lovely don't you think?

i couldn't care less tbh but that's why i don't have a job with the dnc

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

There are a lot of shills in American politics but I don't think it's a particularly recent development.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

empireofcrime posted:

new england center-left types have a history of getting really lovely really quickly. dodd, frank, this guy, what's deval patrick been up to

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

lol oh he works for bain capital

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

empireofcrime posted:

Sanders was right

Get used to hearing this for the next four years you empty headed cheerleaders

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
NoticE I didn't say eight years

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Toadvine posted:

NoticE I didn't say eight years

haha roast 'um toad vine

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Badger of Basra posted:

Why would he need to do anything else? He denied our Prophet and thus must be ostracized. Never mind his decades of service to the Democratic party.

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

i couldn't care less tbh but that's why i don't have a job with the dnc

if you couldn't care less why did you ask the question in the first place lmao

empireofcrime
Nov 3, 2015

Peztopiary posted:

Why would he need to do anything else? He denied our Prophet and thus must be ostracized. Never mind his decades of service to the Democratic party.

Maybe it would help if Frank wasn't the cartoon definition of the sort of thing Sanders alludes to, with Frank saying things like ""Yes, I Took Bank Money. And It Made Me a Better Regulator." and his job on the board of directors for a top 50 bank right after he retired from Congress.

empireofcrime
Nov 3, 2015

zen death robot posted:

Purity tests as far as the eye can see, the good stuff

Yep, not a democrat, usurper, this guy is a commie pinko and isn't a democrat, get your own party, thief, taking advantage of the DNC, party over country, good stuff right?

empireofcrime
Nov 3, 2015

ZDR, your mockery hurts me. The only purity test for me is if someone has 100% maple syrup for blood. That's why Sanders is the only person on earth I can trust as my president and my confidante.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
When does it go from "not wanting to elect corrupt politicians" to "imposing a purity test"? As soon as you disagree?

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

Reik posted:

When does it go from "not wanting to elect corrupt politicians" to "imposing a purity test"? As soon as you disagree?

lmao forreal

so what is the correct amount of impurity, do you think? what amount of standards can we have for officials or anyone else before we become 'purists'?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Classic Comrade posted:

if you couldn't care less why did you ask the question in the first place lmao

i meant about the last part of your post, the people on the committee being mean to bernie

i could care about other reasons frank is bad

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

zen death robot posted:

Purity tests as far as the eye can see, the good stuff

Do you regret closing the asylum and turning the patients loose at all ZDR?

Corrupt Cypher
Jul 20, 2006

zen death robot posted:

Have a higher standard for corruption than "worked for a thing"

So conflict of interest in financial markets and their regulation, just no big deal eh? It's so hard to figure out how the world got this corrupt sometimes.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

zen death robot posted:

Have a higher standard for corruption than "worked for a thing"

"worked for a thing" and "was responsible for regulating the industry and as soon as his public sector job was finished he immediately got scooped up in a nice cushy private-sector job" are kind of different.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

personally i don't think frank joining a bank made him corrupt, i think he already didn't care about forceful bank regulations. does this make him corrupt? i dunno. didn't appreciate this from him today either

http://www.masslive.com/politics/index.ssf/2016/06/former_massachusetts_rep_barne.html

Corrupt Cypher
Jul 20, 2006

Reik posted:

"worked for a thing" and "was responsible for regulating the industry and as soon as his public sector job was finished he immediately got scooped up in a nice cushy private-sector job" are kind of different.

Shh... if you're quiet enough you can hear the cognitive dissonance machines whirring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Karl Barks posted:

personally i don't think frank joining a bank made him corrupt, i think he already didn't care about forceful bank regulations. does this make him corrupt? i dunno. didn't appreciate this from him today either

http://www.masslive.com/politics/index.ssf/2016/06/former_massachusetts_rep_barne.html

I mean, it's not like the banks were great guys while he was on watch. If the banks aren't messing up and everything is going great I agree forceful bank regulations seem unnecessary. That's not the case though, and we're already at a point again where the top 5 banks are too big to fail and whatever they did in office has shown to have zero effect.

• Locked thread