Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

objects in mirror
Apr 9, 2016

by Shine
This is my man-child gaming setup. This is why I hope for better TVs in the future that also work as monitors -- specifically, higher refresh rates, OLED, lower input lag etc for under 1k. I got the idea from the people at the Hardforums who are all about using Samsung 4k sets as monitors, but I had to go with a Vizio 1080p as that's more within my budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Are there any decent 4K IPS displays with GSync? I don't expect them to go beyond 60hz, but it'd be nice to be tear-free below and also be able to watch movies smoothly.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jun 12, 2016

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Combat Pretzel posted:

Are there any decent 4K displays with GSync? I don't expect them to go beyond 60hz, but it'd be nice to be tear-free below and also be able to watch movies smoothly.

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/QZwqqs/acer-monitor-umhx1aa002
http://pcpartpicker.com/product/TzfmP6/asus-monitor-pg27aq

They both use the same screen iirc, I like the Asus better for the looks but the Acer's price probably makes it the better buy.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/QZwqqs/acer-monitor-umhx1aa002
http://pcpartpicker.com/product/TzfmP6/asus-monitor-pg27aq

They both use the same screen iirc, I like the Asus better for the looks but the Acer's price probably makes it the better buy.
Thanks, I'll look into these. Price is definitely an issue, in regards to wanting two of them. I can't stand having two different types of screens on the desk, mismatching PPI probably won't make things easier.

--edit: Seems to have rather subpar panel uniformity regarding luminosity.

--edit2: Ah gently caress it. Ordered an XB271HU. Lets play the lottery.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jun 12, 2016

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro
Looking for some thoughts regarding 1080p v 1440p gaming. My current 60Hz Dell 24" from 2009 has done me well but it's time for me to upgrade to something better. G-sync is high on my list of priorities so I've narrowed it down to two choices:

The 1440p option: Dell S2716DG 27" @ £484

The 1080p option: AOC G2460PG 24" @ £282

The Dell is at the very upper limit of what I'm willing to spend, so is 1440p worth the extra £200 premium? The GPU running this will be a GTX 1070

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Linx posted:

Looking for some thoughts regarding 1080p v 1440p gaming. My current 60Hz Dell 24" from 2009 has done me well but it's time for me to upgrade to something better. G-sync is high on my list of priorities so I've narrowed it down to two choices:

The 1440p option: Dell S2716DG 27" @ £484

The 1080p option: AOC G2460PG 24" @ £282

The Dell is at the very upper limit of what I'm willing to spend, so is 1440p worth the extra £200 premium? The GPU running this will be a GTX 1070

It's very nice, but do be aware you're committing yourself to buying more expensive GPUs or upgrading more frequently (not a bad idea in itself but 2 year cycle upgrades at the 1070 level might be hard to budget) to drive a 1440p screen than you'd be able to get away with at 1080 if money is tight.

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro

xthetenth posted:

It's very nice, but do be aware you're committing yourself to buying more expensive GPUs or upgrading more frequently (not a bad idea in itself but 2 year cycle upgrades at the 1070 level might be hard to budget) to drive a 1440p screen than you'd be able to get away with at 1080 if money is tight.

That's an excellent point that I hadn't considered. I wouldn't say that money is tight but I definitely don't see myself upgrading a GPU of around £400 every couple of years. I have a 760 at the moment so I tend to hold onto a card for a while.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I pulled the trigger on the 4k monitors. I'm a little miffed that I have to go AMD if I want to use Freesync, but the ultrawides didn't have either tech and G-sync monitors are stupid expensive. gently caress you, nVidia. Learn to play nice for once.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

KillHour posted:

I pulled the trigger on the 4k monitors. I'm a little miffed that I have to go AMD if I want to use Freesync, but the ultrawides didn't have either tech and G-sync monitors are stupid expensive. gently caress you, nVidia. Learn to play nice for once.

Most ultrawides I saw had Freesync, if that's the tech you're referring to.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

PerrineClostermann posted:

Most ultrawides I saw had Freesync, if that's the tech you're referring to.

Yeah, but then I'd be in the same boat anyways. I wish nVidia would stop pushing the dumb proprietary bullshit so much. They did the same thing with 3D and ruined the market for that, too.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Yeah, it sucks, I'm gunna have to hold off on a monitor until I'm sure which card I'm getting.
Is nvidia the dick in this regard though? AFAIK FreeSync only works on AMD in the same way, but I suppose it's also cheaper than G-Sync screens tend to be.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

KillHour posted:

Yeah, but then I'd be in the same boat anyways. I wish nVidia would stop pushing the dumb proprietary bullshit so much. They did the same thing with 3D and ruined the market for that, too.

it's a good way to make money.

sout posted:

Yeah, it sucks, I'm gunna have to hold off on a monitor until I'm sure which card I'm getting.
Is nvidia the dick in this regard though? AFAIK FreeSync only works on AMD in the same way, but I suppose it's also cheaper than G-Sync screens tend to be.

Freesync is just an implementation of an optional part of the VESA spec. nVidia's is a proprietary technology. They could implement freesync on their cards any time they want.

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro

sout posted:

I was under the impression that Freesync was part of the DisplayPort standard and that nvidia were the dicks for not supporting it :shrug:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

KillHour posted:

At least with Freesync it's basically a free add-on so you aren't paying for something you aren't using if you end up with an NV card.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Ynglaur posted:

Would running a 4K display at 1080 look as good a a native 1080 monitor of the same size? A 4K desktop might be nice but there's no way laptop GPUs can play games in 4K anytime soon.

In theory a 2:1 mapping in each direction should allow a 4K display to show 1080p visuals with absolutely no added artifacts or blurriness. Unfortunately actually achieving that seems to be a major challenge, as everything seems to want to do "smooth" scaling that ruins the effect. This sort of thing also for obvious reasons breaks ClearType and other similar subpixel antialiasing strategies.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
I'm looking for a new gaming monitor, since my other one died.

24", full 8-bit color, 120+ hz, G-Sync.

What should I get?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Boz0r posted:

I'm looking for a new gaming monitor, since my other one died.

24", full 8-bit color, 120+ hz, G-Sync.

What should I get?

Pretty sure you have to step up to 1440P 27" inch for that.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
What's the cheapest 27" that would fit the other criteria?

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro

Anti-Hero posted:

Pretty sure you have to step up to 1440P 27" inch for that.

I've been looking at monitors with the same spec and there seems to be plenty of offerings at 24" in 1080p??

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Linx posted:

I've been looking at monitors with the same spec and there seems to be plenty of offerings at 24" in 1080p??

With Gsync?

edit: my bad, you would be limited to TN panels rather than IPS for 1080P, 144Hz, Gsync

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Yeah, you do, Freesync is very nice to have. Here is a nice monitor that is 144Hz and has free sync: http://pcpartpicker.com/product/f3tWGX/nixeus-monitor-nxvue24a

It got a pretty positive review from someone who I trust: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJsskZpWzGw

I'm probably going to get this, but is there anything that has the same specs but is IPS? The dude in the video didn't seem to make it seem like a big deal, but I'm not sure.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Linx posted:

Not with full 8-bit color, though that is a weird requirement, isn't 6+2 fine for a gaming monitor?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

im gay posted:

I'm probably going to get this, but is there anything that has the same specs but is IPS? The dude in the video didn't seem to make it seem like a big deal, but I'm not sure.

No, the only IPS ones are the 27" & 34" ones for $500-$1000, also they are higher resolution so you would probably want a more powerful video card to drive them, there is this one: Asus MG279Q for $480, it's 1440x2560 resolution and has a freesync range of 35Hz-90Hz so not as good as the other one I linked you, but it is IPS and you could buy a better video card to drive it down the road.

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro

Anti-Hero posted:

With Gsync?

edit: my bad, you would be limited to TN panels rather than IPS for 1080P, 144Hz, Gsync

Ah, my bad. Didn't realise you were after IPS

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

No, the only IPS ones are the 27" & 34" ones for $500-$1000, also they are higher resolution so you would probably want a more powerful video card to drive them, there is this one: Asus MG279Q for $480, it's 1440x2560 resolution and has a freesync range of 35Hz-90Hz so not as good as the other one I linked you, but it is IPS and you could buy a better video card to drive it down the road.

Thanks. I think the monitor you recommend will hold me off until I upgrade my GPU. Playing on 1080 60hz is really bad.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

sout posted:

Wrong. Freesync is simply branding for what is an industry standard, vesa displayport extension, namely "VESA Adaptive Sync". NVIDIA are free to use it.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

HalloKitty posted:

Wrong. Freesync is simply branding for what is an industry standard, vesa displayport extension, namely "VESA Adaptive Sync". NVIDIA are free to use it.

To be fair, NVidia made G-Sync first after a lot of research, then AMD found a shortcut in existing standards to do the same thing and named it FreeSync to take a jab at how Nvidia built their solution around locking you in to their cards and charging the OEM and customer a premium for their G-Sync chip in the monitor which they make a nice markup on. The "Free" in FreeSync has always implied "we're free, but NVidia is ripping you off".

All I'm saying is Nvidia has already used FreeSync (VESA adaptive sync) in their laptops and called it G-Sync. They'll never actually call it FreeSync as a matter of pride/politics.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So does the latest nvidia stuff work with FreeSync monitors, even if they call it G-Sync or whatever they want? And by "works" I mean take advantage of it, not just that the monitor displays images.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

mobby_6kl posted:

So does the latest nvidia stuff work with FreeSync monitors, even if they call it G-Sync or whatever they want? And by "works" I mean take advantage of it, not just that the monitor displays images.

No.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Just bought a Acer Predator XB271HU. The panel seems great, but there's one oddity: it doesn't wake up from sleep. If I press power it comes back on. This is turning out to be surprisingly annoying as all the other displays will turn on and it will still be black until I do this.

Any ideas? I have it hooked up via HDMI temporarily while I wait for my NVidia card to arrive. If it works fine with DisplayPort then I don't really care, but it's odd.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I haven't upgraded my monitor in ten years (it's a Dell 2405FPW, 24-inch, 1920x1200). It's still functional and serviceable but I just built a new rig, upgrading everything except the video card and monitor, figuring I'd wait a month until the new video cards all hit the market, and still be all upgraded by the time the new Deus Ex game hits the market in August.

I'm realizing that almost any of the new-generation video cards (right now I'm leaning Rx480) is probably overkill for this monitor. What monitors would people recommend these days? I'm generally sitting right in front of it, desk setup, about three feet away; it's in our kitchen though so sometimes we'll watch things on it. The whole desk is only about four feet wide so I don't really want a lolhuge monitor, though I would like to keep the 16:10 aspect ratio setup, just since I've gotten used to it.

Budget-wise -- Ideally below $500, but that's not a hard cutoff depending on what's out there. Looking for the best balance point between card and monitor.

Any pointers or recs appreciated; if it's "wait a few months or another year for something new to come out," that's ok too. Thanks!

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jun 14, 2016

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

16:10 is going to be awkward to fill the spot of if you want room for faster or higher res. You might do well considering a 2560x1440 that's as tall, since then it's just the screen growing wider rather than losing that sweet sweet height.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Escape Goat posted:

Just bought a Acer Predator XB271HU. The panel seems great, but there's one oddity: it doesn't wake up from sleep. If I press power it comes back on. This is turning out to be surprisingly annoying as all the other displays will turn on and it will still be black until I do this.

Any ideas? I have it hooked up via HDMI temporarily while I wait for my NVidia card to arrive. If it works fine with DisplayPort then I don't really care, but it's odd.

Turn off Deep Sleep.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
I think I'll drop the 8-bit color. 1-2 ms response time is more important to me.

24", 2- ms response time, 120+ hz, G-Sync. No speakers or anything like that.

My current monitor is an Asus VH236H, so I'm looking to upgrade that a bit.

EDIT: Also, that Asus monitor is glossy, which is really annoying.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Boz0r posted:

I think I'll drop the 8-bit color. 1-2 ms response time is more important to me.

24", 2- ms response time, 120+ hz, G-Sync. No speakers or anything like that.

My current monitor is an Asus VH236H, so I'm looking to upgrade that a bit.

EDIT: Also, that Asus monitor is glossy, which is really annoying.

Your best bet is probably this one.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

xthetenth posted:

16:10 is going to be awkward to fill the spot of if you want room for faster or higher res. You might do well considering a 2560x1440 that's as tall, since then it's just the screen growing wider rather than losing that sweet sweet height.

Yeah once I started researching I realized that; sadface.

So maybe something like this then? https://www.amazon.com/Dell-UltraSharp-27-Inch-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B00P0EQD1Q

I might just stick with what I have for now. I fear I'd have to go up to a 29 inch to have a noticeable upgrade, and that's outside price range.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jun 14, 2016

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

So, my XB271HU arrived and that thing seems pretty drat nice. No pixel errors, no wild uniformity issues on first glances, BLB and glow remains to be seen when I don't have night shift.

Also, the colors! :aaaaa:

I thought I had my Samsungs calibrated nicely, but Jesus Christ...

Also, why are DP cables that short?!

--edit: Also, G-Sync... :psypop:

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jun 14, 2016

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I'm looking to buy a 1440p monitor along with a 1080 whenever AIB cards actually start being available. If I'm wanting GSync and 144 Hz is my current best option the XB271HU? I know there's some light bleeding issues and possibly some other QA issues to look out for on those so I was wondering if there was a better option or not.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
XB271HU is only $666 (after promocode) on Newegg right now. :devil:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824106004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Evil Fluffy posted:

XB271HU is only $666 (after promocode) on Newegg right now. :devil:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824106004

What's the promocode?