Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Kajeesus posted:

Varys was actually on team Dany from the start, so he could just say he deliberately sent lovely assassin or tipped off Jorah from the start. The sticking point with Jorah was that she had to find out from a third person that he was the mole. They'd have to go through some serious effort to make it more than the fourth-stupidest thing to happen this episode.

I know she was team Dany from the start. The issue here is having to convince Mad Queen that she has not been betrayed and "FYAH EN BLEHD!"

Daenerys is one of the most difficult characters to write logic around because she is a loving idiot and by all accounts should have died like 5 times already. Specially more so in the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

They could have tried, at all, to show Arya at least improved as an assassin. Instead there is the actress plot, where Arya is super obvious and everyone notices her, and then the Waif fight where Arya is caught off guard and is shown to be really dumb about using her surroundings. The only thing she learned was getting hit with a stick.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

The Dave posted:

They could have tried, at all, to show Arya at least improved as an assassin. Instead there is the actress plot, where Arya is super obvious and everyone notices her, and then the Waif fight where Arya is caught off guard and is shown to be really dumb about using her surroundings. The only thing she learned was getting hit with a stick.

Nothing in this show has any subtext or meaning. You gotta let go of those things. The Facebook men are just jaqen and waif and they are complete morons who have nothing to teach to arya except getting hit with sticks and begging. They are like some kids roleplaying teenage mutant hero turtles. Waif was Donatello, or how ever that one turtle with the stick is called. Michelangelo?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The only good thing from the Arya scenes were she doing the Jackie Chan thing and pushing down all those fruit baskets and carts.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
The only good thing from the Arya scenes were Fake Sansa's tits.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

whatever7 posted:

The only good thing from the Arya scenes were she doing the Jackie Chan thing and pushing down all those fruit baskets and carts.

I thought the Waif was sufficiently threatening and really loved that shot when she was running above Arya.

Bummed that the whole thing was played completely straight though.

edit: I enjoyed Arya in Braavos decently enough but they should have spent more time sending her on missions and showing her learning instead of dragging out the blind stick fighting.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jun 13, 2016

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
The whole Arya in Braaavos poo poo was something that seemed so cool in principle (our favorite fierce girl is getting a ninja-assassin trainning wow!) but it was such a huge disappointment.

It could have been somewhat better if they had used the "kindly man" instead of reusing Jaqen. It could have been better if the Waif had any kind of consistency as a character. It could have been better if they had actually showed her learning poo poo. It could have been better with some incredible turn at the end, like Arya Durden (how I wish it had been true)

But to be fair, it was kinda of dull in the books too. And it looks even more now that we know that it ends in the most obvious boring way (Arya learns she dont want to lose herself, goes back to Westeros. yay)

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Enhydra lutris posted:

What is a Hodor Basket?

Really, you're better off not knowing.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Gorn Myson posted:

I'm only halfway through this episode and its a massive step down from last week. That scene with Tyrion, Greyworm and Missandei is absolutely painful to watch.

Sandor loving owned though.

I can't believe they went back to the well with that after how awful it was the first time they tried it. Dinklidge really has NOTHING to do this season.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

mcmagic posted:

I can't believe they went back to the well with that after how awful it was the first time they tried it. Dinklidge really has NOTHING to do this season.

Remember how happy everyone was when Tyrion arrived at Meereen so quickly? Turns out what D & D had in store for him in Meereen was just as lovely as his material in ADWD.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Remember how happy everyone was when Tyrion arrived at Meereen so quickly? Turns out what D & D had in store for him in Meereen was just as lovely as his material in ADWD.

It's still way better than "where do whores go?"

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Super Ninja Fish posted:

He hasn't cleaned dried poo poo out of folds of fat yet so I'd say we're still slightly ahead in the show for now.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

I forget, what was Arya's motivation to go to Braavos in the first place? Did she specifically want to leave Westeros? I always figured she planned to avenge her family and kill off her list, but after the Hound started dying she was out of options and followed along with whatever the coin got her.

She never learned the face-changing magic, I don't believe she ever learned how to make their poison. After two seasons in Braavos she's back where she started with nothing to show for it but some stick-fighting training and being able to fight in the dark? She's not even that good because she's constantly getting punked by the Waif. I don't understand what the point of any of this was other than to give her something to do until the Westeros plot needs her again.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Hobo Clown posted:

I forget, what was Arya's motivation to go to Braavos in the first place? Did she specifically want to leave Westeros? I always figured she planned to avenge her family and kill off her list, but after the Hound started dying she was out of options and followed along with whatever the coin got her.

She never learned the face-changing magic, I don't believe she ever learned how to make their poison. After two seasons in Braavos she's back where she started with nothing to show for it but some stick-fighting training and being able to fight in the dark? She's not even that good because she's constantly getting punked by the Waif. I don't understand what the point of any of this was other than to give her something to do until the Westeros plot needs her again.

It's a bingo!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Pretty nice of her to just be able to sleep off a series of repeated stab wounds to her midsection too.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Peanut President posted:

I'll be happy if we never see Braavos again, jesus.

It's a real testament to how bad the show has gotten that this statement can be made and generally considered to be a good one.

Show is legit terrible now. It was so good for three seasons, declined for two, and just fell off a cliff this season. I take solace in knowing that D&D have likely heard about the fan theories about Arya Durden and know in their heart of hearts that anonymous internet nerds are better writers than they are.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

mcmagic posted:

Pretty nice of her to just be able to sleep off a series of repeated stab wounds to her midsection too.

A couple hours after getting brutally stabbed in the belly she went and had a soup, a few hours of sleep and then the next day she was ready to parkour around Braavos.

No biggie.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Unzip and Attack posted:

It's a real testament to how bad the show has gotten that this statement can be made and generally considered to be a good one.

Show is legit terrible now. It was so good for three seasons, declined for two, and just fell off a cliff this season. I take solace in knowing that D&D have likely heard about the fan theories about Arya Durden and know in their heart of hearts that anonymous internet nerds are better writers than they are.

That was dumber than stab wounds healing though. The correct thing to have done would be to have Arya and the Waif fight last episode and Arya win then have the actors heal her and bring her with to Westeros. Glad to help!

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Illinois Smith posted:

Did she though? I mean, they didn't actually show much of her training, apart from a shitload of stickfighting and some light poisoning. It felt like she mostly survived through plot armor, not by aplying poo poo she learned through the last two seasons.

Of course, the one thing she learned that she did use (how to fight the Waif while blind) wasn't actually shown.

Hound's will to survive, Syrio's fencing, Faceless Men blindfighting. Probably a couple other things in there.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
King Tommen, is getting really screwed by the new law. I imagine that the truth about his parentage will come thanks to Lancel.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

I really dig the nuanced resolution to the various King's Landing plot lines they're telegraphing:

"Blow up the city, problem solved" :smug:

They could, I suppose, have Tommen betray the High Sparrow, but the above is much more in line with how they handled Arya in Braavos.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Unzip and Attack posted:

This is super strong and I don't agree. I mean we're like 3 episodes removed from what probably was the best payoff moment of the entire series so far... It's just uneven.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Elias_Maluco posted:

The whole Arya in Braaavos poo poo was something that seemed so cool in principle (our favorite fierce girl is getting a ninja-assassin trainning wow!) but it was such a huge disappointment.

It could have been somewhat better if they had used the "kindly man" instead of reusing Jaqen. It could have been better if the Waif had any kind of consistency as a character. It could have been better if they had actually showed her learning poo poo. It could have been better with some incredible turn at the end, like Arya Durden (how I wish it had been true)

But to be fair, it was kinda of dull in the books too. And it looks even more now that we know that it ends in the most obvious boring way (Arya learns she dont want to lose herself, goes back to Westeros. yay)

I think I would have like this arc a lot more if in Ep.7 Arya tries to find ways to get on a ship and keep getting spotted by the Waifu, and this episode ends with Arya promising Jaqen her own face if he give her one year time.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Enhydra lutris posted:

What is a Hodor Basket?

if you have to ask, you can't afford it

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Hobo Clown posted:

After two seasons in Braavos she's back where she started with nothing to show for it but some stick-fighting training and being able to fight in the dark? She's not even that good because she's constantly getting punked by the Waif.

I have heard that the night is dark and full of terrors, so maybe she'll be uniquely suited to deal with that?

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

This is the Dawning of the Age of Hilarious
Remember her interaction with Mel? She's the terror in the dark.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

It's pretty incredible that a show whose main premise was "actions have consequences, and even protagonists die as a result of their bad decisions" has arrived at the point that Arya can tell an infamous guild of assassins to go gently caress themselves and it's just like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Goofballs posted:

So Arya did in fact get repeatedly airholed, land in some disgusting river, get stitched up by some lady who isn't a doctor let alone a 21st century one, did an assassins creed chase like a few days later tops and then won a duel in the dark with someone she consistently lost to who had probably gone through exactly the same training and jaquen was fine with it because the scene had to reach a conclusion. Well, whatever.

Arya's blindness was a punishment on the show, not a rite of initiation.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Blackchamber posted:

I have heard that the night is dark and full of terrors, so maybe she'll be uniquely suited to deal with that?

She's hosed if she runs into someone with a stick and it's not pitch black though. So any time she's on camera.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Unzip and Attack posted:

As bad as this is, season 5 was way worse.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I don't get how people are saying Edmure's giving up the castle was some sort of betrayal. It was absolutely the right thing to do in the situation. Edmure Did Nothing Wrong.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
If Arya was just going to fight the waif in the dark in her room they really could have just done that without all the abdomen stabbing, terminator chases and weird sleeping time jumps. Like have Arya with a little more stealth try to book passage on a ship, get ambushed by the Waif, get stabbed in a non-vital location, then set a cunning trap for the waif in her cell.

It sort of makes sense though that Jaqen wasn't too ticked off about the outcome. As their previous adventure shows, Jaqen was willing to bend the rules after Arya named him. They seem to just see things as giving deaths to the many-faced God, often trading one death for another. By killing the waif, Arya gifted the many-faced God a different death in place of her own. Also, maybe they just saw Arya killing the assassin as a sign that she had the many-faced god's favor. Or just make up your own explanations, its not like the show is going to attach any deeper meaning to this poo poo.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Linguica posted:

I don't get how people are saying Edmure's giving up the castle was some sort of betrayal. It was absolutely the right thing to do in the situation. Edmure Did Nothing Wrong.

poo poo, if Blackfish had been less stubborn, they all could have ridden out of there and gone north and helped out in BastardBowl. Now they're captives of the Lannisters instead.

E: VVV Yea, if Blackfish helps them retake Winterfell, they're probably going to help him retake Riverrun at some point.

You are right that it's entirely in character, I'm not saying it's bad writing, I'm mad at Blackfish for being too stubborn.

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jun 13, 2016

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
It makes sense that he would not accept Brienne's proposition because he would never trust that Jaime would keep his word, and he had no reason to. And it also makes sense that Edmure would accept surrender and that the soldiers would to (Blackfish wanted to die trying to hold the Lannisters, but a common soldier was probably not so anxious about it)

What was really stupid and out of character was for him to choose suicide (is one thing to tryto hold a castle under siege, another enterily to throw himself to die alone agasint and army) instead of fleeing to help his niece and maybe come back to fight another day

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Are there any plot reasons to ever see Riverrun again? Edmure & Jamie go back to KL & Brienne rows back north to surprise rescue someone with a backstab during the Bastard Bowl. So unless the Brotherhood resurrects Catelyn's decomposed mush or just decides on their own to go to war with the Twins, Walder Frey gets his new castle back with no repercussions and peacefully exits the story.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

benzine posted:

King Tommen, is getting really screwed by the new law. I imagine that the truth about his parentage will come thanks to Lancel.

Yeah I'm thinking this is why he kills himself.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Thinking about it, if they ressurect Cat now she would have to be a CGI skeleton, and than they wouldnt have to call the actress again

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Hobo Clown posted:

Are there any plot reasons to ever see Riverrun again? Edmure & Jamie go back to KL & Brienne rows back north to surprise rescue someone with a backstab during the Bastard Bowl. So unless the Brotherhood resurrects Catelyn's decomposed mush or just decides on their own to go to war with the Twins, Walder Frey gets his new castle back with no repercussions and peacefully exits the story.

Riverrun, Braavos, Dorne, and hopefully Mereen will never be seen again after this season. Hell if they burn down King's Landing and drop The Wall we may finally accomplish pulling the story and major characters into one relatively compact area where they can actually interact with one another.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
Arya kidding me with this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Arya is gonna poison all the Frey's though.

• Locked thread