Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
The Western storyline got a bit too silly in this last episode in my opinion. The American lawman guy getting shot like that was kind of a wet fart to his character I felt.

I never expected Brona/Lily to become my favorite character, surpassing even Vanessa. But her performance in this ep really did it for me, showing a little bit of nuance beyond the revenge plot. I loved seeing that she still felt a connection to her past self.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

I'm finally caught up on this series, really liking it. That said, seeing Goonstein's kid freaking out was really :smith:, especially after seeing him as the orderly.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

bull3964 posted:

Economics for premium cable shows are all different. You care about subs, not eyeballs. Same is true for Netflix. Netflix needs to calculate how much revenue in subs they get vs licensing fees.

The generally accepted wisdom is that a highly watched show SHOULD correspond to subs, but that may not always be the case.

Your could have the most watched show on Netflix, but if all your viewers would all still subscribe if the show was dropped, you aren't actually bringing in any revenue for the service.

Obviously it's a little more complex than that since one show is rarely the make or break and your have to take into account things like brand image. But subscription services have more to consider than just eyeballs in a timeslot.

I don't understand why they keep putting this show up against Game of Thrones. There's no way they can compete with it, all it's going to do is drive viewership down.

I hope the last shot of this season is Mr. Lyle busting through the door in a spiffy archeologists outfits immediately followed a Mummy

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I don't understand why they keep putting this show up against Game of Thrones. There's no way they can compete with it, all it's going to do is drive viewership down.

It doesn't matter if the majority of views are on Showtime Anytime or DVR watches.

Premium channels don't give a flying gently caress if you watch their shows live.

Also, it's not up against GoT anyways. GoT is 9pm, Penny Dreadful is at 10pm.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Ethan saying the Lord's Prayer was so dumb. Like something a 10-year-old would do to be pissy.

I want a cursed mummy plot out of Lyle's move to Cairo.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

I want a cursed mummy plot out of Lyle's move to Cairo.

I would watch the poo poo out of that spin off!

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

Ethan saying the Lord's Prayer was so dumb. Like something a 10-year-old would do to be pissy.

This really is the perfect way to describe it. Absolutely hilarious.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

PostNouveau posted:

He just wanted to impress his Gothic girlfriend in front of his stuffy, fascist dad. :emo:

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

I forgot about this, but yeah, it was completely ridiculous. And not in a good way.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I think that was the point. He was a little kid again sitting at dads table.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

FourLeaf posted:

The Western storyline got a bit too silly in this last episode in my opinion. The American lawman guy getting shot like that was kind of a wet fart to his character I felt.

Yeah, he wasn't the biggest character on the show but I liked him, would've liked for him to get to be a bit of a badass in the end instead of just getting shot down like a sucker.

I didn't expect the witch chick to die so easily/quickly eirher, especially after all the screentime she's gotten, same for inspector one-arm. drat, they got rid of a ton of characters this episode.

cheerfullydrab posted:

Poor Dorian, he was so lonely because of being immortal, and he thought that he'd finally found somebody else who was immortal, and that they could bond over being bored and possibly capriciously mess some normal people up for shits and giggles. Now his house is full of ladies who want to kill any men they can and he's a little over his head.

Pretty sure he'll be calling in his favor with Victor to have him help get rid of Lily. The militant hooker gang have pretty much sentenced him to death already, it's just a matter of when, not if.

Kazanir
Apr 28, 2010

Symbolic Butt posted:

Well, the western storyline sure delivered. :stare:

That was the greatest ending.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.
Things I shouted at the TV while watching this latest episode:

GOD drat IT, VANESSA! Don't gently caress Dracula!

GOD drat IT, VICTOR FRANKENSTEN! Don't barge into the prostitute murder party!

GOD drat IT, DORIAN! This isn't about you!

GOD drat IT, PENNY DREADFUL! Do not send Lyle away!

Also, best thing was the dinner murder followed by Ethan and Hecate digging in to their steak and potatoes.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Next week on Penny Dreadful-

Dorian Gray: "I've made a huge mistake."

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

Next week on Penny Dreadful-

Dorian Gray: "I've made a huge mistake."

Well, Dorian survives because he moves unrecognized and quietly through history. What Lily's planning threatens that.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Well, Dorian survives because he moves unrecognized and quietly through history. What Lily's planning threatens that.

What if Victor brings her back again with a different accent?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Oh poo poo, she *could* come back with Brona's voice. :stare:

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
That fencing lady reminds me a lot of the fabulous Adele Blanc-Sec.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_c_Uo7No5A

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
So far it's been pretty obvious to me which characters are representing those from previous works, but I can't figure out who Hardigan (sp?) is. Or is she a completely original character?

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Der Luftwaffle posted:

So far it's been pretty obvious to me which characters are representing those from previous works, but I can't figure out who Hardigan (sp?) is. Or is she a completely original character?

Hartdegen is the last name of the time traveller from the 2002 adaptation of The Time Machine. Make of that what you will. :shrug:

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?

And More posted:

Hartdegen is the last name of the time traveller from the 2002 adaptation of The Time Machine. Make of that what you will. :shrug:

Also John Logan was the screenwriter for the film, so I think you're on the right track.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I assume the insistence of replacing one Egyptologist with another is because the show is really set on doing a mummy plot line? Right? Right?

KasioDiscoRock posted:

Also John Logan was the screenwriter for the film, so I think you're on the right track.

I'd assume that'd either be a joke about how she's a woman ahead of her time, or he just likes the name, though.

Like how Russel T. Davies really likes the surname Tyler.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
I just started watching this the other day while I was sick and I really like it, I'm about halfway through season two and holy loving poo poo I hate Dorian so goddamn much, I get that his entire character (in both this and other works) is "I'm a shithead" but still.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

This season has been 100% better because of the very small screen time they've given Dorian. I don't think they're gonna kill him, but I'm hoping he will wind up getting written out by the end of the season.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

AndroidHub posted:

I just started watching this the other day while I was sick and I really like it, I'm about halfway through season two and holy loving poo poo I hate Dorian so goddamn much, I get that his entire character (in both this and other works) is "I'm a shithead" but still.

Solice Kirsk posted:

This season has been 100% better because of the very small screen time they've given Dorian. I don't think they're gonna kill him, but I'm hoping he will wind up getting written out by the end of the season.

Let's not forget that for three years, Reeve Carney played Peter Parker/Spider-Man in the Broadway musical "Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark." :smuggo: ACTING!

https://www.ibdb.com/Person/View/485337

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

Just finished the first ep of S3 and I think I'm gonna like it a lot more than I liked 2, especially if it's light on Dorian :thumbsup:

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Mouse Dresser posted:

Things I shouted at the TV while watching this latest episode:

GOD drat IT, VANESSA! Don't gently caress Dracula!

GOD drat IT, VICTOR FRANKENSTEN! Don't barge into the prostitute murder party!

GOD drat IT, DORIAN! This isn't about you!

GOD drat IT, PENNY DREADFUL! Do not send Lyle away!

Also, best thing was the dinner murder followed by Ethan and Hecate digging in to their steak and potatoes.

God drat Sir Malcolm doesn't say much but he is a complete badass.
The scenes with Vanessa and Cat Hartdegen was terrific.
Also I love how the psychiatrist seems to have given up on analyzing Vanessa and accepted her as a friend and confidant having sympathetic "my life is a loving unbelievable trainwreck" conversations.

I didn't expect Vanessa to move so fast with Dracula, but with only 9 episodes to the season, every story arc is racing along.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I'm a little bit bummed that Hecate and inspector Rusk went down like they did. Rusk especially, he's been one of my favourite characters in the show. So often the "normal human police officer" in a supernatural show comes off as being way out of their depth, but Rusk just exuded competence from the get-go. Even in his first scene I was like "okay, this guy is freakin' sharp". I love it when a show has such respect for its side characters and the actor did a fantastic job. I would have loved for him to get some sort of closure, to at least find out what the hell was going on. Well, he's a tough bastard, maybe next episode they'll find him still hanging on and have a little talk.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Yeah, while I didn't feel very attached to Hecate, I really liked Rusk. Ethan's got a lot to make up for now that his survival has cost us yet another badass. :colbert:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Everything's comin' up Goonstein!

...just in time for the end of the world. :emo:

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jun 13, 2016

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The vampires crawling around is not as unsettling as the directors seem to think it is. It's more goofy than anything.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

The vampires crawling around is not as unsettling as the directors seem to think it is. It's more goofy than anything.

:agreed:

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
Victor, you owe me a favour!

please drug my girlfriend and try experiments on her to make her nice

oh

you were going to do that anyway

bros i guess

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

Victor, you owe me a favour!

please drug my girlfriend and try experiments on her to make her nice

oh

you were going to do that anyway

bros i guess

"...by the way, who's your cute Indian friend? I'll be in the market for a new plaything if you scramble Lily's brains too badly." :v:

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
am I the only one who had bond music playing in their head for the last few seconds of the previous episode.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Well, I'm not sure I ever expected this to happen, but I'm glad it did. They've spent the whole series going on and on about how terrible it would be if Vanessa gave in to evil, so I'm pretty interested in seeing the results.

Is there a season four confirmed yet? If not, I expect things might get messier.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Well, I'm not sure I ever expected this to happen, but I'm glad it did. They've spent the whole series going on and on about how terrible it would be if Vanessa gave in to evil, so I'm pretty interested in seeing the results.

Is there a season four confirmed yet? If not, I expect things might get messier.

There's been vague rumblings that this will be the last season for while I think.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

Seeing Dorian being very sad about his evil girlfriend and her army of deathhookers brought me great joy.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
"We're going to make you into a proper woman."

Jesus Christ with a bleeding arse, Victor, you irreparable autist.

Also I dread to find out what there is in store for Goonenstein's Monster, I have zero faith that something won't go horribly wrong for him. Probably his family will be eaten by ghouls or someshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Nordick posted:

"We're going to make you into a proper woman."

Jesus Christ with a bleeding arse, Victor, you irreparable autist.

Also I dread to find out what there is in store for Goonenstein's Monster, I have zero faith that something won't go horribly wrong for him. Probably his family will be eaten by ghouls or someshit.

But at least both he and vanessa dared to love one last time
:smith:

• Locked thread